• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P Dev Explains Benefits of Launching Day One With Xbox Game Pass

Don Carlo

Source:

One constant benefit of the service, especially for any new IP, is an almost instant community. Someone who may skip on a game like Lies of P at retail value may find themselves drawn to it when it comes at the cost of their subscription. Game Pass is a serious benefit, one that game director Jiwon Choi described as "one of the best options for us to get the game into the hands of a large community of players" as a completely new IP in a recent interview with Game Rant.
"The Xbox team ran a wide range of marketing campaigns for Lies of P, and I cannot reveal the exact number here, but a huge number of gamers have played our game through Xbox Game Pass. I believe both parties earned a very good result from this collaboration."

geary

detector heresy GIF

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Not surprising.

In an absolutely loaded year, Lies of P managed to become a hit. I don't know that a ton of consumers were going to jump on a "solid" Souls-like new IP from a new developer for $60, especially in 2023 with so many other options, but on Game Pass? Hell yeah. And Microsoft's marketing muscle did the game huge favors as well.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Honestly, I dont know if I would say it was my number one game of the year...but its one I think of extremely fondly. It's up there. Absolutely amazing game that I wouldn't have tried if it wasn't for game pass. I could see myself picking it up on sale, but gamepass allowed me to play and complete it day one. I then purchased it as a thank you to the dev!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Many other new IP died this year with studios closing. Atomic Heart and Lies of P did not.

This is what is meant by GP can increase sales. Sometimes it increases sales on totally different systems even. Sometimes people buy it when it leaves. New IP are at more risk of dying at retail these days than ever. A lot of people are simply not willing to try new games from unknown teams.

For certain games, subs are a huge lifeline and benefit the industry. Been shown many times. For known properties and established valuable IP, it makes less sense.

Zannegan

Must be fake.
I hear you. Folks act like it's all or nothing, but there's got to be some room for nuance in this debate.

Sure, putting a game that already would have sold well on a sub service will boost the sub rate at the cost of full-priced sales. On the other hand, a smaller title like Lies of P that probably would have slipped through the cracks, might benefit both from the up front money and the improved visibility.

NickFire

I hear you. Folks act like it's all or nothing, but there's got to be some room for nuance in this debate.

Sure, putting a game that already would have sold well on a sub service will boost the sub rate at the cost of full-priced sales. On the other hand, a smaller title like Lies of P that probably would have slipped through the cracks, might benefit both from the up front money and the improved visibility.
I'm sure some of the anti-GP zealots truly hate it for irrational reasons. But IMO, most people who comment negatively are really commenting on the marketing / fluff / lies / evangelicals / bizarre claims / etc.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Gamepass is good for:

1. MP games where they can build up a big player base
2. GAAS where the more people who are playing it means more potential $$$$ from MTX
3. Indie games where a small studio can benefit from $$$$ by MS and get word of mouth for the game
4. New studio with a new IP can benefit from $$$$ by MS and get word of mouth for the game
5. Meaty games where people will start it and when the game falls off GP then players may be inclined to buy it outright at a discount since they likely have not finished the game.
6. Games that have or will have DLC. They put the game on GP but not the DLC. Players play the game and then buy the DLC
7. Games which may be a bit older and is having a sequel coming out soon. Builds up a player base who may want to purchase the sequel after playing the original title.

SCB3

Not surprising.

In an absolutely loaded year, Lies of P managed to become a hit. I don't know that a ton of consumers were going to jump on a "solid" Souls-like new IP from a new developer for $60, especially in 2023 with so many other options, but on Game Pass? Hell yeah. And Microsoft's marketing muscle did the game huge favors as well.
Lords of the Fallen proved that, in a year of 3 decent Souls likes in Remnant 2, lords and Lies of P, launching on GP was a damned good choice, hell I bougght it after playing on there just because of how good it was

Game Pass is great for new IPs coming from new studios, it offers a great exposure of those titles to existing subscribers avoiding the situation of people considering if spending 60-80$ on a new entry from an unknown (unproven) studio

twilo99

Game Pass is great for new IPs coming from new studios, it offers a great exposure of those titles to existing subscribers avoiding the situation of people considering if spending 60-80$ on a new entry from an unknown (unproven) studio

I got it 3 years ago and I think in that time I've tried at least ~80 games that I would simply not consider buying. Hi-Fi rush was a great example of a game that I really enjoyed but would've never even tried if it wasn't on there, Cocoon, Firewatch, vampire survivors, Forza Motorsport.. there is just so many. I just installed Against the Storm last night, great game, had no idea it even existed before someone here mentioned that it was on there.

If you like playing video games the only downside I see is that there are too many good games on there to burn your time

Hrk69

I played through it in a couple of sessions and thought it was pretty fun

One encounter was total bullshit but the rest of the game is easily doable

El Muerto

Several game studios have also praised gamepass in the past. It's great for indies as they can recoup their development costs when MS gives them money to put their game on Gamepass.

PanzerCute

Not surprising.

Lords of the Fallen is a very mid Souls like game and sold the same amount, without being on gamepass.

But yes, it also helped LoP get more traction and more people play the game, people who would have never bought it. And they also got some nice money from MS.

So hey, not a bad deal, but I think the game would have gotten the same success without GP.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Honestly, I dont know if I would say it was my number one game of the year...but its one I think of extremely fondly. It's up there. Absolutely amazing game that I wouldn't have tried if it wasn't for game pass. I could see myself picking it up on sale, but gamepass allowed me to play and complete it day one. I then purchased it as a thank you to the dev!
How long is the game?

Top Bottom