• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P has the best combat system in the soulslike genre

Which one has the best combat system?

• Total voters
Honestly surprised that bloodborne's winning. It's fun but it's definitely the most basic combat system.

You only really need to master dodging and r1 spam to beat the game. You can't even block, the rally mechanic is useful but not necessary.

Does seem to show that a good majority of players don't seem to care about complexity or depth in combat systems.
Totally agree with you.

Lies

Three Little Pigs Wow GIF by Laff

stn

Sekiro is my pick. The combat in Lies was good but I found the parry more frustrating to use and the need to repair weapons mid-fight grew stale for me. Overall, I thought it was a really solid game that didn't hit the highs of the other Souls-like games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was very critical of Lies of P when I finished it. Especially last stretch of the game which is a bit of a grind...
But thinking back on it, it was indeed marvelous and I will replay it in the future. Some really good ideas and designs all around. Just a bit too more focused on parrying for me and maybe that was my problem.

Honestly surprised that bloodborne's winning. It's fun but it's definitely the most basic combat system.

You only really need to master dodging and r1 spam to beat the game. You can't even block, the rally mechanic is useful but not necessary.

Does seem to show that a good majority of players don't seem to care about complexity or depth in combat systems.

I'm not to surprised honestly. People loved BloodBorne. I also I think Sekiro was the first game where you couldn't just grind more levels to get stronger. You just had to get better.

ungalo

Lies of P is objectively solid but i really don't like the very long recovery after hitting or parrying, the fact you have to hold the button to stay on guard (Sekiro is much more permissive), plus certain skills that are stupidely locked behind the progression system (like the ability to roll out of the way after you fell that you had to unlock and after a lot of hours was so dumb). That made the game a slog for me.

Sekiro is undoubtedly the most fun for me, for its simplicity, feeling and responsiveness.

I also really like Wo Long gameplay even though the game itself is not incredible. The spirit gauge is actually a very interesting system for a game like that, it's more interesting and meaninful than all the ideas Lies of P tried to implement imo.

Last edited:
Lies of P is objectively solid but i really don't like the very long recovery after hitting or parrying, the fact you have to hold the button to stay on guard (Sekiro is much more permissive), plus certain skills that are stupidely locked behind the progression system (like the ability to roll out of the way after you fell that you had to unlock and after a lot of hours was so dumb).
They removed it from the P-organ system and made it a default skill in the last update.

Top Bottom