• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life (2017 film) is dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, regarding the ending:
I didn't see it as Calvin keeping Jake trapped so that people would open the pod (they would've opened it no matter what), but that it was changing its structure to survive entry into a different atmosphere and ecosystem.
They seemed to imply it changed its structure for survival purposes.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I didn't see it as Calvin keeping Jake trapped so that people would open the pod (they would've opened it no matter what), but that it was changing its structure to survive entry into a different atmosphere and ecosystem.

That's a great hypothetical that actually makes the ending better.

sarcastor

if you come across a space pod with some astronaut covered in goo, maybe its best to not open it? but then again if the scientists are dumb as fuck, im guessing the local fisherman must be neanderthal level of common sense.

norm9

It was really dumb and I really liked it. The alien design was top notch too. Was worried it was going to be a lame cgi monster, but it looked and moved real.

I liked it. I'm not saying OP isn't right that the people involved are all fucking idiots, but despite that it was fun watching them all pay for their idiocy.

I thought Eddie Murphy gave a decent performance. Martin Lawrence was pretty good, it was your typical Martin Lawrence performance. They had some pretty good chemistry on screen. You gotta love the "Cornbread" scene

Just saw this last night. I thought it was alright, but I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about Calvin's design. Some other posters have already brought it up, but it was established that ALL of Calvin's cells function as muscles, eyes, and nerves simultaneously. But then halfway through the movie, the alien has a head and defined appendages for whatever reason.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
It was a solid enough movie, some very tense and creative scenes (Ryan's death particularly). I had no expectations going in, was engaged throughout and left pretty happy I had seen it. Complete opposite of Prometheus and Covenant, which were pathetic and made me angry at everyone involved.

eizarus

Banned
I enjoyed it. The alien design was pretty unique and the cat and mouse chase had me entertained throughout the whole movie.

I thought it was a totally average "bad things happen in space" movie. The crew make stupid choices and the monster is basically magic but I was entertained for two hours. I did enjoy
seeing Ryan Reynolds pay the price for being a total moron and die early.

Elitist1945

Just saw this the other day. Was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Thought the alien was super cool, and the CGI for it (and in general) was surprisingly well done. Yeah every character was stupid as fuck, but thats alright, I was entertained.

Ryan Reynolds death surprised me (which was probably the intention) and boy oh boy was that ending fucking evil.

Gattsu25

Banned
True, but if you have the clarity to not let this thing in the first place,
then why not jump away. Maybe flight vs survival, but it would have made her sacrifice more significant to have jumped away.
She was trying to save herself until the very last moments when she was too oxygen deprived, disoriented, and weak to do anything else but turn a lever and then drift into space.
He was the only character with any real character development. The rest of the characters just bored me. Not because of the Actors, but because they were given no time to develop.
Character development wasn't the movie's strong point but he wasn't a more developed character than Gyllenhaal's
Yeah, but then why doesn't it communicate? It must understand English, both written and verbal to have worked out what the communication relay was. Thats too far a stretch in my mind.
This was directly mentioned in the movie but it took out the communications array, indirectly, because it was hunting for coolant which it identified as a food source. It deprived the comms array of coolant which caused it to overheat and malfunction.
but he saw it. Why not mention it to the others? Why else would he just stand there awkwardly near the hatch. Plus some of the wording, makes it sound like he did intentionally. I'd have to watch it again to be sure.
I thought he saw it too the first time I watched the movie but on the rewatch it doesn't actually confirm that. He just gets lightheaded and passes out while waxing philosophical.

Sinfamy

It was superior to Alien Covenant in the tension department.
But God damn the scientists were dumb and the creature was overpowered as fuck.

I saw this movie and I thought it was alright but I was kinda disappointed that it really just ended up as a slasher-monster movie with a space theme.

STI

I loved it. I thought it's a better film than Alien covenant. Plus it could also be the prequel to the Spider-Man's nemesis Venom

Saw this last night via Amazon

Saw the ending coming as soon as they talked about escaping. I enjoyed it, there was relatively no character development or anything of the sort but I enjoyed it as mindless turn off your brain type entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom