• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life expectancy to break 90 barrier by 2030 (US has lowest life expectancy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
American men can't even make it to eighty
giphy.gif

I'm fully expecting to die by 60 and will be shocked if I make it to that. I actually live a healthy lifestyle but am a massive hypochondriac. Let's hope I'm wrong

Mivey

Nah, longer life expectancy probably isn't going to stop menopause.
What if rich people in the future will live in habitats closer to the sun so time passes slower to them? Then they could be technically 70 while having only aged 50 years of "normal" time.

Is it still the case that the lower male expectancy is due to men tending to die from more risky behaviour? Or are there other factors?

My landlord, Italian woman, 96 years old, lively as all hell and still goes with her parish to help build churches in Mexico, god bless her soul.

devilhawk

Anyone know off the cuff of studies that try to figure out why women live longer than men in general?
Cancer is one explanation. Many fold more of funding is spent in female dominated cancers compared to male ones, males have ~10% higher incidence, and male cancer related deaths often occur earlier than female cancer related deaths. For instance - Skin Cancer:

American here but I'm much healthier than the average (BMI, body composition, blood panel tests, average sleep, activity level, etc). So, I hope to beat that average significantly and work into my 80s, if I'm lucky.

There are plans here to up the retirement age based on life expentency. Looked up what my retirement age would be. It would be 73 and 6 months. Welp.

Condom

And over here turning back the retirement age to 65 is an actual campaign thing for some parties. So basically, you are growing up and studying for the first 25 years. Then you work for 40 years. And then you retire for another 25 years. Totally workable... /s
You severely underestimate the production out of those 40 years. There is enough money in the economy, for now at least. For the future you can look at automatization and better financial insight as solutions.

Best would to differentiate on build up capital and job but right now it would probably not work with people hiding their money.

And over here turning back the retirement age to 65 is an actual campaign thing for some parties. So basically, you are growing up and studying for the first 25 years. Then you work for 40 years. And then you retire for another 25 years. Totally workable... /s

Well, tell the construction worker with broken knees and whatnot he is supposed to work 10 years longer.

IThe effiency of the working force is the deciding factor here and with the massive increasement in the past decades and in the coming decades, supporting more people for a longer time isn't really the society destroying thing.

We get older sure but in a less functional body. If they can guarantee they could keep people body up to a certain standard people
Wouldn't mind working longer.

I'm 27 and I already have friends of the same age that have multiple knee or back issues and they still need to work 40 more years. Hell my dad is 61 his body is at the edge of being broken from physical labor. I'm lucky I sit behind a desk I could work till my brain stop functioning or slowing down significantly.

Cancer is one explanation. Many fold more of funding is spent in female dominated cancers compared to male ones, males have ~10% higher incidence, and male cancer related deaths often occur earlier than female cancer related deaths. For instance - Skin Cancer:

Part of that can be explained in the huge difference in men and women skincare. Most dudes don't really care about skincare past rubbing a wash cloth on their face/body then walking out the door.

Part of that can be explained in the huge difference in men and women skincare. Most dudes don't really care about skincare past rubbing a wash cloth on their face/body then walking out the door.

Suncream and no smoking are the only things which somehow reduce the risk of skincancer.

yepyepyep

About a decade of that will be you spinning around in your diapers suffering from a variety of conditions. IMO life expectancy is a poor measurement of anything but pharmaceuticals after about 80, drugs can keep us alive but the quality of life is nothing good.

That's what I think as well, its not like you are going to be youthful when you reach those ages. A lot of elderly people past a certain point begin to welcome death, not necessarily because they're suicidal but because they realise we all have to die sometime and they've already lived the majority of their life.

Living too old past 70s kind of scares me. I feel like death would constantly be on my mind and you would have to deal with the death of friends, family and other people you know.

Retiring at 70 or 80 is insane. Most of your friends and family will be gone and you'll be too tired to walk around and enjoy the time you have left.

Trace

Banned
Retiring at 70 or 80 is insane. Most of your friends and family will be gone and you'll be too tired to walk around and enjoy the time you have left.

If people are living to 90+, I don't see how retiring at 70 is so crazy. The social security nets around the world were not built to handle people going 30+ years without work after retiring, they would collapse at the current rate.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
America's just ahead of the curve, they realise that having a huge population of old biddies knocking about is a massive resource drain, so they've implemented a lower soft age cap via enjoyable food and guns.

Other countries meanwhile are misguidedly trying to make their populations live forever, and since they'll probably ban all the fun ways of shortening your lifespan they'll have to institute some kind of Logan's Run-type system to cull the old people plague.

If people are living to 90+, I don't see how retiring at 70 is so crazy. The social security nets around the world were not built to handle people going 30+ years without work after retiring, they would collapse at the current rate.
There's more than enough money if we tax a certain group of people.

jelly

Of course some people can work longer but you try hard labour or similar past 65, it just wouldn't be fair or possible in a lot of jobs.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Only people working in offices think that 65 isn't a reasonable age to retire.

You can only work labour jobs so long before you can't.

Don't worry, I work in an office and I think it's reasonable.

If I get to 65 (lol) and I'm having to face working another 20-30 years, I'm ending myself or quitting. Might even waste a bunch of resources in the process, out of spite.

KDR_11k

At birth is a bit misleading since it's heavily influenced by child mortality... which is much higher in the US due to the Republican crusade to defund anything that might allow abortions.

Especially when talking about retirement ages that's a problem because a lot of the life expectancy increase over the past years was a reduction of infant deaths which obviously have zero influence on the retirement system.

Infant mortality rates (per thousand):
Infant_mortality_map_of_the_world.svg

Better medical care will make things easier in general, but health and social care for the elderly has to become far better in the next fifteen years.

Wiped89

Goodbye state pensions.

I can't see how we will still have them by the time I retire. They'll be slowly phased out over time.

The first steps have already begun here in the UK. Workplace pensions are now mandatory, that means you HAVE to put aside a percentage of your income every month, and your employer HAS to match that percentage with an equal pay-in. I mean, that's good sense anyway, but I can't help but feel it's the first step to making people pay for their own retirement from their savings and withdrawing state pensions.

Is it still the case that the lower male expectancy is due to men tending to die from more risky behaviour? Or are there other factors?

If I have read right half of it is biological (women just live longer) and half is lifestyle (men smoke more, drink more, eat more shit and die more in accidents).

Sulik2

A serious case needs to be made at quality of life vs life saving techniques. The last 18 months of my Grandfather's life were spent in a slow decaying downward spiral of care giving that had no quality of life. Just pain and despair as he lost his ability to care for himself. Medicine can keep people alive until 90, but its not very good at keeping people healthy that old. Whether or not life saving treatments should be given past a certain age or health state really needs to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom