• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

x-Lundz-x

Just finished this tonight. I know I am waaaaaaay late to the party but damn, this game was phenomenal. Proof that games can tell stories just as well as any movie.

Can't wait for more from this team.

For reference purposes, they have officially announced the Life is Strange prequel (developed by Idol Minds):
Life is Strange: Before the Storm is a new three part standalone story adventure set three years before the events of the first game. This time play as Chloe Price, a rebel who forms an unlikely friendship with Rachel Amber in dramatic new story in the BAFTA award winning franchise.
Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1 releases August 31, 2017 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC (Steam).
Edit: Another tidbit: Ashly Burch won't be reprising her role as Chloe due to the SAG-AFTRA strike.

Just played this and it was one of my favorite things in a long time...
until the ending nearly destroyed the entire game for me.

Choosing the Bay which should be a tough but right choice in the moment to Max is essentially choosing to not interfere with Jefferson, to let Kate die, possibly Victoria, etc.

And in the Chloe ending, since you are specifically ignoring the consequences of the powers why not warn some people?
Especially the ones you built a strong relationship with that would likely believe you.

I was expecting a 3rd option with something like Max jumping in front of Chloe which stops the storm and saves Chloe.
Would also have an effect on others like Kate and Victoria

pbsapeer

Banned
Just finished this tonight.

Fuck what a great story. Genuinely felt like i was binge-ing a tv show. That ending was phenomenal and I wish I could rewind and experience the game from scratch again.

So about Before the Storm:
-It's not developed by Dontnod
-Ashly Burch only consulting, no voice acting despite Chloe being the main focus
-3 episodes
-bonus episode with Max is only for the Delux Edition (25 usd/eur, while the normal season pass for the 3 base episode is 19 usd/eur)
It's not looking too bright isn't it?
Definitely gonna wait for reviews (tough it has to be a really big disaster for me not to buy it).

So about Before the Storm:
-It's not developed by Dontnod
-Ashly Burch only consulting, no voice acting despite Chloe being the main focus
-3 episodes
-bonus episode with Max is only for the Delux Edition (25 usd/eur, while the normal season pass for the 3 base episode is 19 usd/eur)
It's not looking too bright isn't it?
Definitely gonna wait for reviews (tough it has to be a really big disaster for me not to buy it).

Yep, red flags everywhere. Don't think I'll buy it, if only to support SAG-AFTRA.

I wish they would just delay it and get Ashly Burch back in as voice actor, even if that ends up costing them a bunch of extra money. They shouldn't risk hurting Life is Strange as a franchise with their second release just because of a strike.

I wish they would just delay it and get Ashly Burch back in as voice actor, even if that ends up costing them a bunch of extra money. They shouldn't risk hurting Life is Strange as a franchise with their second release just because of a strike.

Hopefully enough people will be put off buying this that Square Enix reconsiders their position when it comes to VAs.

Kid Ying

Since the game was free on plus i finally got it. At first i wasn't that interested, but since i've saw lots of comparisons to 13 reasons, which i loved, i went in. Thank god! That game is a gift and one of the best i've ever played. I've saw some of the posts in this thread and is pretty cool seeing how people played in different ways than me and got different reactions.

The soundtrack is also pretty great with some good indie stuff. I found the graphics to be pretty weird though. I hope the sequel is more pretty.

I liked the ending also. I went with Chloe since saving the city would have meant i did everything for naught

Just finished the game today. Didn't really know what to expect going in, I had heard nothing about it, only played it cause it was free on PS Plus.

But man. I actually got really invested in it lol.

I knew all along that
David was actually on the good side, but I chose to butt heads with him as Max because I figured that's what she would actually do. I just knew that he wasn't the slimeball you were led to believe.

The whole dark room plot was disturbing as fuck. I felt grossed out by that whole thing, especially thinking about how real life girls get drugged and get into situations like that too. Kate's whole suicide arc was dark as shit too. Teenage suicide is one of the worst things imaginable, so I'm really glad I was able to save her.

I'm genuinely surprised at
the split among the playerbase on Playstation for the final choice. It was 53% chose Chloe dying, 47% chose Arcadia Bay getting destroyed. Seemed like a no brainer for me, Chloe's life wasn't worth more than an entire town. The needs of the many and all that. Still sucked that she had to go though.

Also, Warren is a fucking boss. I was rooting for him the whole time, and
after he got his shit kicked in by Nathan, I definitely let him get his payback. I also made Max kiss him because that boy deserved it.

So yea, great game. I'm curious to see how this prequel game turns out.

EDIT: One last thing, can someone explain
what the doe was? Like was it part of her powers or something?

chadskin

Also, Warren is a fucking boss. I was rooting for him the whole time, and
after he got his shit kicked in by Nathan, I definitely let him get his payback. I also made Max kiss him because that boy deserved it.
[/SPOILER]

Please rethink your opinion of Warren

BxtoTZN.jpg

Please rethink your opinion of Warren

BxtoTZN.jpg

Maybe he was just....checking to make sure she was safe ;_;

I forgot to mention something that bothered me, but I may be overthinking it:

in the depressing af chloe-is-crippled timeline, why in the fuck was Max friends with the Vortex Club? That just seems sooo out of character for her, as she spends pretty much the whole game saying how much she hates Victoria and her clique.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it was the devs trying to show the Butterfly effect and its consequences to Max.
The further into the past you go and change things, the more different and strange the present will be.

I guess it was the devs trying to show the Butterfly effect and its consequences to Max.
The further into the past you go and change things, the more different and strange the present will be.
But even in the 'standard' time line you can be empathetic to her. So, if there are choices of not being a jackass likewise it MIGHT have happened.
Yea these make sense. I just liked Max's be nice to all and stay out of the drama attitude lol.

Also had no idea that there was such a massive Max and Chloe shipping scene on the internet, not that I'm surprised lol. I personally saw Max as straight, but looking back I guess I can see how people would see her as bi or lesbian. The developers said they intended for it to be left up to the player so everyone wins lol.

So I just finished this tonight.

That was quite a ride. It's probably not popular opinion here but I thought the first half of the game blew. It felt like a teen girl simulator with a lot of drawn out sections that didn't really add much, the characters weren't really doing anything for me, and the dialogue was really embarrassing to listen to at times. But the story was ok enough and it bothers me when I don't finish games, so I pushed on.

Glad I did. Half way through the 3rd episode is when this game really hits its stride, right when
Max discovers she can go back in time by focusing on photos
. As we all know everything gets crazier from there and I had a really good time with the last two episodes. Definitely worth a play through for anyone that digs these types of games, I would probably just warn them that it starts off sooooo damn slowly.

I knew beforehand there was some controversy surrounding the end of the game. During the last choice I cheated and looked up what happens. In the end I decided to
save Arcadia Bay
because I heard it was the better ending. Meh, wasn't impressed with either of the options really.

Overall though it was a solid game. I'm glad I stuck with it and I'll definitely check out the sequel.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Maybe he was just....checking to make sure she was safe ;_;

I forgot to mention something that bothered me, but I may be overthinking it:

in the depressing af chloe-is-crippled timeline, why in the fuck was Max friends with the Vortex Club? That just seems sooo out of character for her, as she spends pretty much the whole game saying how much she hates Victoria and her clique.

In either timeline, Max's family hadn't moved away until some time after William's death (or the day he was supposed to die), so I'd guess that Chloe and Max's interactions in the time they had left between then varied enough to cause Max to become the introvert she was in the dead William timeline, or the extrovert she became with William still around. I suppose he and Chloe had a bigger impact on her than her own parents did. If you opened your journal in the new timeline, you'd notice that she only made one entry and then stopped. Too much to do with her new friends to bother with trivial journals.

In either timeline, Max's family hadn't moved away until some time after William's death (or the day he was supposed to die), so I'd guess that Chloe and Max's interactions in the time they had left between then varied enough to cause Max to become the introvert she was in the dead William timeline, or the extrovert she became with William still around. I suppose he and Chloe had a bigger impact on her than her own parents did. If you opened your journal in the new timeline, you'd notice that she only made one entry and then stopped. Too much to do with her new friends to bother with trivial journals.

Makes sense I guess. I just have a hard time getting behind
stories where people are completely different in alternate timelines. It was a major beef I had with the Cursed Child. Same with superhero alternate timelines lol. But I guess that's just the nature of it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So after playing through the game I've found I'm in love with most of the licensed music from the soundtrack. In particular, To All of You, Santa Monica Dream, In My Mind, Mountains, Spanish Sahara, and Obstacles are all things I can listen to repeatedly. I'm not sure if they're just inextricably linked to the gameplay experience and the associated emotions, but I'm wondering what sort of albums I should seek out to hear more like them. I've got nearly $30 in Google Play credit just from the survey app, so I should probably start using some of it. I guess that the Syd Matters album with the two songs in my list is an obvious start. Is In My Mind representative of Amanda Palmer's work such that if I like that I'll like it all/mostly, or just one of her high points?

So after playing through the game I've found I'm in love with most of the licensed music from the soundtrack. In particular, To All of You, Santa Monica Dream, In My Mind, Mountains, Spanish Sahara, and Obstacles are all things I can listen to repeatedly. I'm not sure if they're just inextricably linked to the gameplay experience and the associated emotions, but I'm what sort of albums I should seek out to hear more like them. I've got nearly $30 in Google Play credit just from the survey app, so I should probably start using some of it. I guess that the Syd Matters album with the two songs in my list is an obvious start. Is In My Mind representative of Amanda Palmer's work such that if I like that I'll like it all/mostly, or just one of her high points?

It's hard to nail down the style of music used in game other than "easy listening indie stuff.." R&B/Soul and Alternative are the genres that most match up IMO.

Stuff like...

Bellyache - Billie Eilish
Dead Fox - Courtney Barnett
Here - Alessia Cara
Escape - Kongos
Belly Up - Maria Mena
You Remain - Kungs
Adam & Eve - Izzy Bizu

...are stuff I would put in a LIS game if someone asked me, but music tastess are highly subjective so I dont really know.

Some stuff from Halsey and HAIM might match up with the game's style too.

Top Bottom