• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning - "Why the hate?"

She represents the terrible execution of a great concept to me.

And her increasingly alien appearance with each sequel also represents how disjointed and shallow the entire universe has become thanks to Toriyama and co.'s bullshit.

Who the fuck writes an entire encyclopedia of lore only to use none of it in any sequel?

Why did you want me to read so much about a setting you promptly destroyed in the second game?

Waste of damn time.

Edit: oh god that poster

Of course that cross over with Mass Effect =O
Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Mass-effect-armor.jpg

By george, I think I've got it! Lightning's gonna become an Asari, it's becoming all clear now Toriyama whats going on in his mind, he wants to combine the XIII universe with Mass effects'
=P

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I might end doing that. But then I'll realize I won't be able to play the game (in english) anytime soon.

Also I'm secretly hoping for a 3DS enhanced version that will be announced this E3!.

Me too. So it can establish Type series on 3DS.

I love the Type series so much.

It's like FF BERSERK.

I love it.

The more that I see translated the more awesome it gets.

You are gonna love it.

She represents the terrible execution of a great concept to me.

And her increasingly alien appearance with each sequel also represents how disjointed and shallow the entire universe has become thanks to Toriyama and co.'s bullshit.

Who the fuck writes an entire encyclopedia of lore only to use none of it in any sequel?

Why did you want me to read so much about a setting you promptly destroyed in the second game?

Waste of damn time.

Edit: oh god that poster

I agree.

I read into a bit of the mythos after finishing the first game. It seemed like something that could be really interesting. Sounds great on paper, but the execution is so poor and they do not seem to give a shit about having it make sense during the games.

By george, I think I've got it! Lightning's gonna become an Asari, it's becoming all clear now Toriyama whats going on in his mind, he wants to combine the XIII universe with Mass effects'
=P

Well Lightning and Liara do share the same voice actress lol

I agree.

I read into a bit of the mythos after finishing the first game. It seemed like something that could be really interesting. Sounds great on paper, but the execution is so poor and they do not seem to give a shit about having it make sense during the games.

They seem to want to do everything in their power to waste the players time. It's almost seems masturbatory when I look at the direction this series has gone. But who cares right? Lightning is beautiful and sexy and a goddess alll aboard the hype train next stop MATH STATION

math+station.png

Oh wait.

What the FUCK happened to pulsian script and all the other made up scripts you made for the mythos? Oh I guess it doesn't matter.

images

So cool and powerful and cool. It is good that she's cool and powerful.

Thread title - "Why the quotes?"

I like lightning for the reason it seems a lot of people hate her. She is quiet. I love JRPGs but I can only take so many whining protagonists.

PowderedToast

in xiii the likes of lightning aren't so much multilayered characters as they are examples of walking pop iconography, i.e. representations of toriyama’s simple but deeply empathetic humanism

hteng

Banned
The name itself is completely unoriginal and boring, i mean who the hell name themselves over a natural phenomenon? I know she had a real name (eclair or something?) but doesn't seem to use it for the sequels.

I don't mind lightning, her whole back story and all the other characters back stories too are done in such a laughable bad way that you can't help but start disliking every cut scene they are in though.

KiN0

Lightning's attire clashes with her personality in if you ask me. She is supposed to be pragmatic an no nonsense but she has this ridiculous cape flowing behind her with a gunblade sheathe that lops around her leg while she runs. The second game wasn't so bad aside from the feather skirt. This new one is just too busy to be believable.

Lightning's attire clashes with her personality in if you ask me. She is supposed to be pragmatic an no nonsense but she has this ridiculous cape flowing behind her with a gunblade sheathe that lops around her leg while she runs. The second game wasn't so bad aside from the feather skirt. This new one is just too busy to be believable.

I wouldn't put much thought about clothes in Nomura designed characters....

She struck me as very cold, underselling everything and displaying very little personality. She gets equated with Cloud a lot, but people often forget that Cloud actually had an element of humor to his character, something to offset his sullen and sulky moments. Lightning, I felt, had nothing to round out her personality. She's one-not, and it's not a very exciting note at that.

Like so much about Final Fantasy XIII in general, most of her appeal is purely aesthetic, totally surface level. She has a fantastic visual design -- you take one look at her and you know exactly who you're seeing. A strong look, however, is little more than window dressing if there's no actual character to frame it on.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Lightning would have been better if XIII had XIII-2's ability to hit a button to act like a slack-jawed dumbass in cutscenes. I didn't particularly care for the XIII-2 duo but then the game let me hit triangle to make them go all "Let's throw the moogle at the boss because between the two of us we exhibit clear symptoms of at least three serious learning disabilities," and suddenly their turgid mopery didn't really bother me anymore.

At first I was thinking that XIII-2's casual sadism towards the team mascot would have served XIII well, but in retrospect Hope actually got shit on quite a bit so whatevs.

Esura

Banned
But "Marth" is actually cool.

If I got past the moonrunes, he can too.

Lightning is just as cool...well maybe not as cool. "Marth" is like a cross between Lightning and Saber Arturia but better and not nearly as uptight.

And if he is like me, it would be incredibly annoyingly hard. Its annoying just with fighting games like Arcana Hearts 3 or a rhythm game like K-ON! Houkago LIVE that aren't wordy or have a story that's important to the package. Going through moonrunes for an RPG....couldn't do it. Nope. Type-0 doesn't exist to me right now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Lightning is just as cool...well maybe not as cool. "Marth" is like a cross between Lightning and Saber Arturia but better and not nearly as uptight.

And if he is like me, it would be incredibly annoyingly hard. Its annoying just with fighting games like Arcana Hearts 3 or a rhythm game like K-ON! Houkago LIVE that aren't wordy or have a story that's important to the package. Going through moonrunes for an RPG....

Suck it up and roll with the Japanese talk. I did.

I can't get over how awesome Gangrel's laugh is. It's an obnoxious laugh you just like hearing.

I enjoyed FF13

I reeallly enjoyed ff13-2

i don't hate lightning .. but she is certainly not the best character in the FF13 universe.

Her sister is more intresting ( more willpower, and a real sense of sacrifice ( she did it 3 times )
Fang is as , if not more badass
Noel is ( despite his problem ) more intresting with his past and his motives .. regardless where you are in FF13-2 he has a goal in mind .

Lightning is a capable fighter , but has the weakest presence ever for a main character..she is tolerable in ff13 because snow is much much worse.
In ff13-2 she is simply "away".

i don't hate lightning , but there are better choices

Speaking of Claire, why the hell doesn't she go by that name now that it's been revealed.

Lightning is a stupid name. The reason she changed her name was stupid.

I thought after all that she would learn to become human again and rejoin the realm of mortals by reclaiming the name her dead parents lovingly gave her but NOPE.

Whatever, why am I hear?

Stupid localisation
Lightning doesn't give her name to strangers , if other know her "true name" they'll be able to take upon her soul

Wait that's not the right story...

Serah call her "one-chan" meaning sis , or sister .... Yet the freaking localisation , replaces this by "lightning"..in fact their consistency was gone down quite fast ..
Anyway . The only ones who can call her by her true name are serah and snow ( serah knew and lightning told snow that her true name was "claire" in chapter 11 of ff13)
She would have told the rest of the team her true name , but she didn't get the chance or the time or something ( she was shy maybe ??? )
Since history got rewritten at the end of ff13 (so vanille, fang , shaz and hope don't know and still call her lightning ) yeah they didn't have the time to talk.

Noel only knows her as lightning the godess warrior ..

SO yeah things got complicated thanks to some pretty shady writting.

Oh and her name is "CLAIRE" , not eclair ( it's close but not the same ) but don't tell anyone it's a freaking secret !!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Let's glorify Lightning in the images of our favorite heroines!!
1329993430729.png

Select your favorite

wYbbFbk.jpg
original
JN73kcJ.jpg
Jill Valentine
NT5vGXF.jpg
Madonna (from Sorry)
6zPbVz3.jpg
Princess Peach
R6UjNDR.jpg
Cortana

men bonus
hOK9jjB.jpg
David Bowie
tzMhPcQ.jpg
Drake

I suggest you to take part in the creation of new images!

LOL ok those seriously made me laugh XD especially love random Madonna from music video "Sorry" tossed in there

LiK

I like Lightning. I think she's kind of hot. But aside from that, I think she's one of the better FF characters in recent years. That's just my opinion.

So just wondering why the hate going on? Let me guess, is it NOT her as a character but more about what she represents with current Square-Enix's tumultuous times: like how they push her into every game, FFXIII's disappointment, Dissidia, ios, etc.

I don't think she's that bad as a character. As for the games she stars in...that I can understand, give or take.

Most people think she's hot, but she has the personality of a piece of wood.

hteng

Banned
Storm.

At least she was cool.

storm at least she you know... actually make storms and it fits the character perfectly. Lightning on the other hand does nothing to the character. It's even awkward when spoken in japanese "Ri-to-ning-nu"-san desu?

MechaX

Well, if there is anything this topic has accomplished it's that I should probably play Type-0, moonrunes be damned. Well, I played original Dissidia in Japanese and I was right on the mark about everything when the English version came out. Of course... that doesn't really count.

I remember where the name Claire was a spoiler and people would get modded for saying it on some forums. Pitiful.

Hey, it's not like her closest living sibling uses her real name either.

Esura

Banned
I remember where the name Claire was a spoiler and people would get modded for saying it on some forums. Pitiful.

Technically that would of counted as a spoiler around release. Since we are going on our third FFXIII game and Square hardly use the name themselves it seems funny in hindsight.

Dunno why they don't use it more, its a cute name.

She's boring. A really boring character in what I find to be a really boring universe.

That's about it.

I want the franchise to move on.

Top Bottom