• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lines Snaked Through Entire Park for Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy Ride Debut

Dalek

http://io9.gizmodo.com/lines-snaked...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Looks like the hype was real. Disney’s ride for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: Breakout! opened at Disney’s California Adventure on Saturday... and the effects could literally be felt everywhere in the park.

As The Hollywood Reporter points out, park attendees shared photos of the perfectly organized nightmare that was waiting in line for the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Lines snaked through the entire park, virtually guaranteeing that if you were cool with waiting a few months to try out the ride, the rest of the park would be virtually empty. The line for Mission: Breakout! fast passes was averaging out about five hours during peak times, while anyone trying their luck in the general queue was reportedly waiting up to seven hours.

You heard that right. Seven. Hours.

The Pandora section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom also opened in Florida over the weekend. It took fans about two hours just to get into the Pandora park, and ride lines were averaging about three to four hours for rides. Hell, some people reporting three-hour lines to get into the damn gift shops. Insane amount of standing and slowly walking aside, fans seemed happy with both Mission: Breakout! and Pandora.

For the people who were completely puzzled as to why Disney would do this-this is why.

Fat4all

Banned
hot damn

DA2EG7BVYAA2p-k.jpg:large

Why?

Like seriously, the cost of just getting in the park has to be enough to not justify spending your entire day there in line for one ride.

Sawneeks

Banned
Opening on Memorial Day weekend was really smart on Disney's part.

Why?

Like seriously, the cost of just getting in the park has to be enough to not justify spending your entire day there in line for one ride.

I could almost guarantee a ton of people in that line are Season Pass holders.

zeemumu

They should make an app where you can schedule your time for rides and get notifications.

That hasn't reached California Adventure and doesn't come standard where it's been implemented already.

I checked the wait time on the app about 40 minutes after the park opened and it was at 4 hours.

Memorial Day weekend is crowded as is (I made the mistake of trying to go to Disneyland a few years ago during their 75th anniversary celebration which was also Memorial Day weekend), so none of this surprises me.

B33

Banned
The ride looks like it turned out way better than expected.

Good work, Rodhe and the entire Imagineering team.

No fucking way I'd wait that long for a ride. The only reason I've ever waited more than an hour for one is because of being with others who want to.

Waited like two hours for that new Kong ride at Universal and it was total garbage. I don't mind about an hour, but more than that and I just find something else.

Seeing a 90, 120+ minute wait for something like the fucking Minions 3D is just simply a no-go.

Dyle

All this for a cheap reskin of a 20 year old ride...

Hopefully the GotG don't take over any of the other towers, the story/theming of the Hollywood Tower Hotel is super appealing to me and manages to send spook me everytime. Rocket and Groot will never be able to replace the eerie unease of the Twilight Zone

louiedog

I don't get it. If you're a frequent visitor you might as well wait until popularity dies down and if you're in from another place for a vacation you'd be better off experiencing lots of other things in those 5-7 hours. Are there really that many hard core fans who absolutely have to see it on day one?

zeemumu

Is the ride any good?

I've heard it's similar in quality to Tower of Terror with added effects and now the drop pattern is random like WDW's tower. And also the queue looks cooler.

I don't get it. If you're a frequent visitor you might as well wait until popularity dies down and if you're in from another place for a vacation you'd be better off experiencing lots of other things in those 5-7 hours. Are there really that many hard core fans who absolutely have to see it on day one?

Most of those people are likely annual passholders who can afford to spend an entire day in line because they can always come back and do everything else. That line'll be down to around 2 hours in some months. Radiator Springs Racers still hovers around 1-2 hours and it's been years, and that's Cars.

Dalek

Memorial Day weekend is crowded as is (I made the mistake of trying to go to Disneyland a few years ago during their 75th anniversary celebration which was also Memorial Day weekend), so none of this surprises me.

The worst day of me, surprisingly was Super Bowl Sunday. It was packed. Everyone was miserable and muttering to themselves "I didn't think anyone would be here..."

While I never want them to take out the Tower of Terror in Orlando, this new one isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The queue looks great, the Rocket animatronic is pretty good, and the randomized elements on the ride are a good idea.

Being thrown up and down the tower while jamming to Give Up the Funk sounds like a riot.

zeemumu

An ideal time to go ride Radiator Springs Racers, then.

The app says that Radiator Springs racers is still 1hr 15 minute wait right now.

Likewise, Pandora just opened in Animal Kingdom and the lines are all pretty crazy right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLvcldT6dG0

But you have to remember, that's an entire section with lines split between multiple rides. This is just a single ride. Imagine if Pandora was just one ride. That'd be insane.

louiedog

The worst day of me, surprisingly was Super Bowl Sunday. It was packed. Everyone was miserable and muttering to themselves "I didn't think anyone would be here..."

Heh. I had the opposite last year. There's a giant music festival near me every year in a public park. I'd forgotten it was that day when my girlfriend and I headed down there to take a walk until we heard the music. We figured we were already there so we gave it a shot. No one was in the part of the park we went to. We hardly saw anyone walking around and I've never seen that much free parking on a weekday or weekend and traffic on the roads was extremely light. There were so many warnings about how bad traffic and parking was going to be that locals were scared off coming to the park and festival goers were scared off driving there.

Most of those people are likely annual passholders who can afford to spend an entire day in line because they can always come back and do everything else. That line'll be down to around 2 hours in some months. Radiator Springs Racers still hovers around 1-2 hours and it's been years, and that's Cars.

I get that, but why would anyone want to, especially when they have easy access to it after things die down a bit.

Considering Disney is widely regarded as the master of queueing, wow. Can they switch to reservations or something, man just let me write my name down and come back. I don't think Disney is really benefiting from these long lines unless they happened to have food vendors every couple of feet.

zeemumu

Considering Disney is widely regarded as the master of queueing, wow. Can they switch to reservations or something, man just let me write my name down and come back. I don't think Disney is really benefiting from these long lines unless they happened to have food vendors every couple of feet.

That's basically what the fastpass system is, and at a 7 hour wait it's a safe assumption that those were gone not too long after the park opened. The other park has the option to reserve fastpasses waaaaay ahead of time.

zeemumu

but...then there's even less reason to suffer such a line, since there's no reason to rush.

Nah it's pretty easy to understand. If you've got an annual pass, you've probably seen everything in that park at least twice by now. New rides don't happen that often and everyone always has that drive to be first to the ride.

It's the same logic as going to the midnight premiere of a movie. You typically gain nothing from going to a midnight premiere outside of the satisfaction of being one of the first to see the new thing. How early do you get there to get a good seat? 2, 3 hours? Maybe more if you really like the movie? The movie wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Time was never an issue.

iammeiam

The theming on the queue area looks pretty solid, and having a different easily-identifiable song for each version is pretty smart.

It's a shame what happened to the Tower, though.

There is exactly one scenario where I would entertain doing this:

I live within 20 minutes of the park
I'm an annual pass holder
I have multiple people to go with
We all bring portable game consoles with multiplayer games and battery charges
I have literally nothing better to do

Even then, it's Tower of Terror with new sights and sounds. I've literally ridden the ride several times already. It would be one thing if it were something like Pandora which is completely and totally new.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My gf is visiting Disney World the last week of July. I hope that by then the demand for Pandora has normalized somewhat.

LMAO. It'll get worse. June-August is a notoriously awful time to be here, dude. Us locals stay away from Disney and Universal as much as possible during those months.

Dyle

My gf is visiting Disney World the last week of July. I hope that by then the demand for Pandora has normalized somewhat.

I wouldn't bet on it. Flight of Passage, the Soarin' like ride has apparently been overheating constantly, to the point that each theatre can only operate for one hour at a time, effectively halving its capacity. It's possible that they might get it fixed, but I would expect at least 2-3 hour lines for the rest of the summer.

Sawneeks

Banned
but...then there's even less reason to suffer such a line, since there's no reason to rush.

Not for some Disney Super Fans, they'd rather wait and ride the new ride opening Weekend than wait a few months for it to die down. It was like the craze for the Frozen ride at Epcot last year, people want to try the new thing.

Top Bottom