• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LinusTechTips Ranks Every Home Console

sachos

Is the N64 too low? The PS4 too high?
A point i disagree with is at 16:22 when talking about the Xbox One and the DRM fiasco "in hindsight seems pretty similar to where we ended up, but i guess people were not ready to hear it". I've heard this talking point/revisionist take a bunch of times now and i really disagree... no, what they tried to push is nothing like we have today. You can use a PS5 without ever connecting to the internet, you don't even need a PSN account to use it if you want.

Kilau

Is the N64 too low? The PS4 too high?
A point i disagree with is at 16:22 when talking about the Xbox One and the DRM fiasco "in hindsight seems pretty similar to where we ended up, but i guess people were not ready to hear it". I've heard this talking point/revisionist take a bunch of times now and i really disagree... no, what they tried to push is nothing like we have today. You can use a PS5 without ever connecting to the internet, you don't even need a PSN account to use it if you want.

Linus got something wrong, especially about consoles?!?

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Three

He's put nothing Playstation below an A. Sony are either really consistent with their consoles or I guess he really likes PS.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nothing lol about it, PS3 was not as good.
I dunno. I find PS3 has way more original games. PS4 and X1 feel like the first iterative generation where there was a complete lack of innovation and every game just felt like PS360 games with better graphics and resolution.

No groundbreaking games like The Last of Us, Demon’s Souls, or even Assassin’s Creed. It was all the same stuff.

Focusing on the S tier, take the Xbox 360 and Switch out of it and I'll agree.
My only issue is that he separated 360 and PS3. Whatever tier the 360 is on, the PS3 has to be right next to it.

The truth is that they complete each other. 360 dominated the first half of the generation, PS3 dominated the second half of the generation. The PS3's late-gen momentum played a part in PS4's success.

nial

Gold Member
I dunno. I find PS3 has way more original games. PS4 and X1 feel like the first iterative generation where there was a complete lack of innovation and every game just felt like PS360 games with better graphics and resolution.

No groundbreaking games like The Last of Us, Demon’s Souls, or even Assassin’s Creed. It was all the same stuff.
Fair enough, I just think PS4 has a first and third-party output of stronger quality. FP particularly; nothing on PS3 was better than Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Death Stranding and God of War, IMO.
Japanese third-parties getting their shit together around this time helped a lot too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I cant give opinion on those super old Magnavox or Odyssey 2 kinds of systems, but from the NES era and on, looks pretty spot on.

Looking back, it was a shame Neo Geo costed a ton and games were arcade quarter muncher based. It was like a Genesis or SNES on steroids, but the price was on super steroids.

Back then when I had Genesis and SNES, I'd imagine what if these systems had the meg size and crystal clear audio of NG. NHL, Super Mario World, Contra III etc... would be way better.

I know everyone ragged on Jaguar, but I do remember playing that old shooter Raiden. It was solid.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Fair enough, I just think PS4 has a first and third-party output of stronger quality. FP particularly; nothing on PS3 was better than Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Death Stranding and God of War, IMO.
Japanese third-parties getting their shit together around this time helped a lot too.
Oh, definitely. The games on PS4 are more polished. Bloodborne for example is a much better game than DeS.

At the same time, it’s also the 4th Soulsborne game so it perfected what Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls did. I just place a lot of importance on innovation and creativity and feel that we haven’t had that on a consistent basis in the AA/AAA space since the PS360 days. TLOU II no matter how good it is is a more polished TLOU which was the real trailblazer along with the first Uncharted.

nial

Gold Member
My only issue is that he separated 360 and PS3. Whatever tier the 360 is on, the PS3 has to be right next to it.

The truth is that they complete each other. 360 dominated the first half of the generation, PS3 dominated the second half of the generation. The PS3's late-gen momentum played a part in PS4's success.
I think I'm one of those weirdos who always liked PS3's first half more than the second one, at least when it comes to Sony's output.
Uncharted 2, R&C ToD/ACIT, Resistance 1, both MotorStorm games, Demon's Souls, Infamous, Killzone 2, Everybody's Golf 5, Folklore, LPB, Bokunatsu 3 and God of War 3. I only remember Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Tokyo Jungle and Puppeteer out of the second half, and the terrible PS Move games didn't help either.
In general, though? Yeah, I can see why people are always more fond of PS3's later years.

ReyBrujo

If you are going for capabilities at the time of launching, Magnavox cannot be anywhere but Tier S. There was nothing else to compare it with, it pioneered home console gaming. And if you are not putting it up there because it didn't have a large library (what would be "large library" for the first commercial home video game console anyways) Atari 2600 should be there even if it had such disastrous end.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Colecovision C Tier my ass! It had the best versions of arcade games at the time.

That's true. I never owned one but I remember seeing the games on TV when I was a kid. They looked as good as the games in the arcade which most consoles could not come close to.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hot take, but I'd move the Xbox One up, and the Xbox Series S / X down.

The One had some good games (which were mostly also on PlayStation 4, which he put as S-tier), but also was an amazing machine for back compatibility for the 360 (which is also in the S-tier). The first iteration was rough, but the One S and One X were both quite good, A-tier easily.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Extremely good take. The 360 was a gamer’s game machine through and through, it had more JRPGs in the first three years than the PS3 did. Microsoft was hungry at the time and courted everyone. Then, they started chasing motion controls because of the Wii’s success and ruined everything they built with the sudden focus on Kinect. The PS3 turned things around and basically was the place for games again after the first few years of struggling.

I would drop the 360 from the tier it was on simply because it didn’t sustain the momentum the entire gen. It belongs on the same rung as the PS3.

I think I'm one of those weirdos who always liked PS3's first half more than the second one, at least when it comes to Sony's output.
Uncharted 2, R&C ToD/ACIT, Resistance 1, both MotorStorm games, Demon's Souls, Infamous, Killzone 2, Everybody's Golf 5, Folklore, LPB, Bokunatsu 3 and God of War 3. I only remember Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Tokyo Jungle and Puppeteer out of the second half, and the terrible PS Move games didn't help either.
In general, though? Yeah, I can see why people are always more fond of PS3's later years.
ace-attorney-hold-it.gif

Where exactly are you placing the second half? Some of those games you've listed as first half technically qualify for second. Remember the PS4 came out in 2013.

Ozzie666

Neo Geo should be S tier just based on the price of the console and games, but seriously. The best and longest 2D console? I get it the expensive games hold it back and it wasn't for everyone!

Weird decision to put the PS4 in S tier, and also putting og Xbox in A tier above the likes of Dreamcast and Gamecube. N64 is too high. Other than that it looks about right imo.

DKPOWPOW

I'm gonna act like D and F tier don't exist, since I never played any of those.

I think Xbox 1 gets shitted on too much. It's a B-tier console. It shared plenty of quality games with PS4 and the Series consoles. I don't see this current Gen much better than the previous one so far. PS5, Series S/X and X1 all deserve a place on the same tier. So B for all of them.
PS3 is B tier, for sure. Thaat 599 mega crab king console was a total dud compared to the PS2.

Dreamcast, GameCube, N64 at B tier. No. Just no. A tier minimum, I'd push for S tier but they were not perfect consoles (well Dreamcast was until Sega quit). They are filled with literal legends.

PS4 is an A tier console. Not an S. As is PS1.

S tier
Wii, Switch, 360, Dreamcast, PS2, SNES.

A Tier
NES, N64, PS1,GameCube, Xbox, PS4, Genesis.

B tier
PS3, X1, PS5, Series X/S

C tier
Wii U, Saturn and the rest.

Mostly dated 3d games. (see also: N64)
It’s difficult, because you’re technically right. I have had a take similar to yours before about that generation. Most of our legendary IPs were born during that gen though.

I’ve always been on the side of remaking/remastering as much as possible from that gen, due to how poorly it has aged.

timothet

Kinda wierd to include Switch but not Gameboy or PSP.

Nevermind, it's about home consoles. Though I wouldn't put docked Switch as S tier home console. It's primary a portable device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom