• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LinusTechTips Ranks Every Home Console

Multiplatform games were better on the 360 console, 9 times out of 10.
Sure, and 360's powerhouse library dried up fast as they put their bets on Kinect in the second half of the generation.

We can all go back and forth to list out bullet points of that generation, but for all of their positives and negatives it's usually best for the HD twins to just remain together in ranking.

If it helps anyone feel better, we can put 360 at a slightly higher A than PS3's A, within the A rank itself (or S if you feel that way about that gen).

nkarafo

Sure, and 360's powerhouse library dried up fast as they put their bets on Kinect in the second half of the generation.

We can all go back and forth to list out bullet points of that generation, but for all of their positives and negatives it's usually best for the HD twins to just remain together in ranking.

If it helps anyone feel better, we can put 360 at a slightly higher A than PS3's A, within the A rank itself (or S if you feel that way about that gen).
Either way i think the SNES and Genesis being on a different tier is a bigger issue with this list.

Dr.D00p

Linus opinions carry as much weight as a fart in a vacuum.

Right up there with that overly verbose tool at Gamers Nexus.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dreamcast is S, Saturn is A (or both S). How is NeoGeo over Saturn, sure it was arcade perfect (or, just arcade) & Saturn wasn't quite there for the high MB ports but with Saturn you got more than SNK arcade titles, with Capcom and all the other 2D and 3D stuff. It certainly wasn't a WiiU or whatever.

Its launch wasn't the best but neither was the PlayStation's anyway and while indeed many titles remained in Japan (it's not like it matters to enthusiast gamers judging the systems on their merits and not like some random soccer mum and her kid would), it got about as many as the N64 in the West.

Granted, but no different to the PS360's era, some multiplatform stuff were shoddy on it but many others were great and it had its own strengths and many great exclusive games/ports. While it didn't last as long it had a respectable generation with tons of great games until its ace successor arrived.

Also, no Vectrex in the list, lol.​

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
ace-attorney-hold-it.gif

Where exactly are you placing the second half? Some of those games you've listed as first half technically qualify for second. Remember the PS4 came out in 2013.
May 2010, 3.5 years out of PS3's 7-year lifecycle, which is just a few months after the release of God of War 3. Everything else was from 2006 to 2009.
I know people like to point out the launch of PS3 Slim in September 2009 as the start of the second half of the gen, the thing is that you would be off by 8 whole months.

nkarafo

Saturn is A (or both S).
Why though?

I mean, my favorite console is the N64 but even i would leave it in the same "B" category because i'm aware of it's issues. Being a fan doesn't mean you can't be objective.

The Saturn had many issues as well, if not more. It had one of the worst launches, with unfinished launch games. The console wasn't nearly as good with 3D graphics compared to the competition or at the very least it was harder to make the most out of it. PS1 to SAT ports were downgraded significantly, like the Wipeout games running at 20fps. US/PAL library was lacking compared to Japan and a ton of games didn't get localized. And Sega killed the console very early so it had a shorter life.

How can a console be an "A" tier (let alone S) with all these issues?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Cool video. Their content is great. The April fools video was super well put together for the effort it took.

Those games weren’t dated in the 90s.

In the 90s being the operative term. Many didn't age that well.

I find it a bit of a joke how he considered many NES games rendered obsolete, which is true when you consider the early wave games, but not Castlevania 3 for instance.

The more quirky games that came out are where the PS1 keeps much of its real value.

Kenpachii

hard to make a console list.

N64 had some really good classics but at the time had terrible droughts which made it inferior towards the ps1, now i would say its far above the ps1.

Thaedolus

Focusing on the S tier, take the Xbox 360 and Switch out of it and I'll agree.
wtf, X360 was the pinnacle of Xbox and really brought indie games into the scene, and Switch revolutionized how we think about handheld gaming. I don’t think we get Steam Deck and the newer competitors without Switch. Both have monstrous libraries of quality content. They should be in S++ tier

T8SC

S: NES, SNES, PS1, PS2
A: PS3, PS4, 360, N64, Wii, Switch, Mega Drive/Genesis
B: XBOX, GC, Master System, DreamCast
C: WiiU, Saturn, Xbox One, NeoGeo, Jaguar
D: Amiga CD32, CD-i, TurboGrafx 16
E: The Rest

PS5 & Series S/X excluded as they've not had long enough in the market & Covid ruined their launch windows.

nkarafo

I think it's also unfair for the Jaguar to be in the F tier along with the CDi and the CD32. It's a better console than both of the later. Because at least it had a few notable games like Rayman, Tempest 2000 and AvP and it was the only way for a while to play a decent port of DOOM without needing an expensive PC.

CDi and CD32 had nothing and they were both more expensive consoles on top of that.

MayauMiao

I agree with the S tier except for the X360 but that's probably because I never got one due to the infamous 3RRoD.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty much every problem with PS4 can be blamed on the PS3 though! If it wasn't for the older machine's oddball architecture -which was the root of all of its software issues looked at in isolation- the PS4 would have better backwards compatibility, and with that fewer remasters/remakes.

It's not the worst list.
But the S tier ist to clouded. PS4 is not the same as a fucking PS2, SNES and X360

A random solid good console should not be in the same rank as GOTA consoles.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I agree with most of this. He failed to mention the Xbox 360 issues with RRoD and should have dropped the 360 a tier. I loved the respect he paid for the original Xbox.

Dane

Weird decision to put the PS4 in S tier, and also putting og Xbox in A tier above the likes of Dreamcast and Gamecube. N64 is too high. Other than that it looks about right imo.
What makes the Gamecube go below Xbox is that it suffered with the lack of games that gravitated towards older teenganers and adults as they became the best selling ones, the bulk being third parties who rather had it on PS2, Xbox and even PC at the time.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is the N64 too low? The PS4 too high?
A point i disagree with is at 16:22 when talking about the Xbox One and the DRM fiasco "in hindsight seems pretty similar to where we ended up, but i guess people were not ready to hear it". I've heard this talking point/revisionist take a bunch of times now and i really disagree... no, what they tried to push is nothing like we have today. You can use a PS5 without ever connecting to the internet, you don't even need a PSN account to use it if you want.

You realize that you can no longer use a disk based PS5 without connecting to the internet on setup right?

SHA

Anyone but him, he has history with badmouthing consoles and he's not a real gamer.

Last edited:
PS3 is not better than PS4. That's crazy talk. I remember trying to voice chat with my bluetooth ear piece and I hated those ridiculously long disc installs. The console had great games but the experience just plain sucked.

N64 / gamecube should be higher than Wii. What did Wii contribute for console gaming apart its success? where is motion gaming now? A few games remade on Switch? It was the definition of gimmicky console and sold only by its look, not its substance.

Also PS5 should be higher than PS4 (which itself should be higher than PS3 :messenger_grinning_sweat: ). It brought super immersive controls and the concept of instantaneous loadings that was possible even in big games. And the first games with impressive RT reflections were on PS5. Sony showed it was possible to do it even in big open-world games (most experts thoughts it wouldn't be possible). What did PS4 bring to console gaming? A few graphically impressive games in a cheap box? Mostly those 2 great Playstation games: God of War and Bloodborne. PS4 was a great console but PS5 should be objectively rated higher.

Last edited:

Series S & X are ranked a tier too high; they need to switch places with the Saturn and XBO.

Also I would probably personally put the Saturn above Genesis in terms of software preferences, but that'd require getting intimate with most of the Japanese library which never got official English releases.

Though I guess, considering ALL factors for a given console in terms of market performance and impact, not just the software library....the list is very reasonable (Series consoles are still a tier too high tho IMHO).

The SNES is certainly S-hit tier.

I will never understand the love for this system

Some of the best JRPGs ever made, some of the best 2D platformers ever made, amazing 1P support, very innovative controllers (for the time), lots of deep cut hidden gems...

Plenty of reasons why it gets love. I personally used to prefer Genesis over SNES but nowadays that has flipped. Still love them both tho.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Fair enough, I just think PS4 has a first and third-party output of stronger quality. FP particularly; nothing on PS3 was better than Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Death Stranding and God of War, IMO.
Japanese third-parties getting their shit together around this time helped a lot too.
Tbh my exact problem with PS4's library is that you basically listed the only 5 games worth playing (+ Spider-Man and maybe UC4).
Meanwhile PS3 has:
Killzone 2 + 3
Resistance 1-3
Four good to great Rachet and Clank games
LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 (both of which are absolutely amazing games imo and better than Astrobot)
The Last of Us
Uncharted 1 - 3
Gran Turismo 5 and 6 (which are both better SP wise than GT7)
SOCOM
MAG
Warhawk
Hell I'll throw in PS Home bc that shit was actually cool
Demon Souls
Infamous 1 and 2
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Beyond Two Souls

And that's just first party exclusives, the actual quantity of solid first party games and exclusives completely eclipses both PS4 and PS5, imo PS4 was the most stale boring ass gen by a far margin, GoW4 is so incredibly derivative of TLoU in its design despite its strengths.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’ve seen several forums take on this list and almost all of them the consensus is this is a decent list.

The biggest argument I see is based on the original xbox being so high. People seem to forget how great that system was.

-Decent roster of exclusive games from Microsoft coupled with several awesome 3rd party exclusives.
-Multiplatform games almost always were the superior versions
-Xbox live and voice chat on console being standardized and used in a ton of games.
-If you had the means at the time, several games supported 720p resolution.
-Included 8 Gig Hard drive for saves and several games supported DLC on console for the first time.
-Maybe shouldn’t be included outright, but modding the system with a bigger hard drive and XBMC made its capabilities as a media device and full blown Atari - playstation 1 emulation device possible.

How can that list NOT be A tier?

What makes the Gamecube go below Xbox is that it suffered with the lack of games that gravitated towards older teenganers and adults as they became the best selling ones, the bulk being third parties who rather had it on PS2, Xbox and even PC at the time.
Quality over quantity. Gamecube and Dreamcast both had better games than og Xbox.

N64 not being the greatest console ever made and a financial disappointment is a psy-op and I’m not falling for that shit. Eat my ass. For a fact, me, and everyone reading this who grew up in that era knows everyone had a n64.

It’s the latest Mandela effect berenstein bears fruit of the loom cornucopia level mind control.

Stop the steal.

Top Bottom