• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List/Rank the best Asian movies you've seen

Holgren

With GOT finishing and not having any other major series to watch, I decided to go back to my old but much enjoyable routine of watching movies at nights every two days, and i want to start with an eastern movie marathon. What are some of the best asian movies you've seen? No genre limitations. Be it animated or live action, feel free to pick whatever movie you thought was worthwhile. Let us expand our Asian movies horizons!

1.- Harakiri
harakiri-postera.jpg

Yeah I know, Harakiri over Seven Samurais? It was a hard decision but I ultimately found it to be much more enjoyable as well as having a more powerful story. Very fun movie with great fights and story.
2.- Millenium Actress
millennium-actress-on-set.jpg

Satoshi Kon's masterpiece, this animated film that tells the story of an old japanese actress through the movies she participated in is such a powerful memoir that even after watching years ago, its still fresh on my mind. I like the "simplicity" of the story as in there is no supernatural things happening (at least as far as i remember) nor a world in danger storyline. Very emotional and powerful story.
3.- Oldboy
images

If the gripping story is not enough for you, the hallway fight and the ending will surely make you remember this movie for quite some time. Of all the movies I list here, this is definitely the most accesible for western audiences (that is if you can't stand anime)
4.- The Tale of Princess Kaguya
tale_of_princess_kaguya_ghibli_01.jpg

Based on the oldest monogatari containing japanese folklore, it tells the tale of a girl called Kaguya who is found as a baby in the woods. I am in love with the artstyle and story of this movie. The ending absolutely devastated me (in a good way), and it is always entertaining to see eastern religion representation in cultural films. I am absolutely in love with this movie and could perfectly be N°1.
5.- Twilight Samurai
MtFZ1Ia.png

Warning: not for people who get easily distracted or do not enjoy movies that take their time to tell their story. This samurai film is less focused on action and more on the life of Seibei Iguchi, a low-ranking samurai with a family to support. Living a simple but content life with his daughters and mother (who suffers from dementia), he gets involved in some turn of events that lead him to take the sword again. What makes me choose this movie over other samurai films is watching the lifestyle of rural japanese people. The scenery is amazing and the characters, specially the protagonist, relatable. This is a must watch for any samurai fan, but be warned that the focus is not on action.

I know that my list very japanese, but I don't know much movies from other eastern countries (I still have to watch In the mood for love). Also, even though I ranked them i like them all equally and they interchange places depending on the mood. If you don't want to rank them as I did, feel free to just list them.

PS: I am surprised at the lack of Miyazaki movies in my list. Its just inevitable to think of him and instantly relate him to the Nausicaa manga which is in my opinion his true masterpiece, but that is not a movie so oh well here goes a little nod to it.

Last edited:

kunonabi

That's a super broad category so I'll just list some of my favorites from the last three years

2018's top 50:

44.An Elephant Sitting Still
43. Long Day's Journey Into Night
20. One Cut of the Dead
14. Ash is Purest White
13. blank 13
10. Modest Heroes
9. The Night is Short Walk on Girl
6. Microhabitat
4. Shoplifters
3. Blue Amber
1. The Spy Gone North

There were way more than that on the list but I tried to keep to the more objectively great films for this.

2017's top 50

27. The Third Murder
11. Memoir of a Murder
7. A Silent Voice
6. Midnight Runners
4. In This Corner of the World
3. A Taxi Driver
2. Okja

Again there were more but these are the highlights

2016's top 10

5. your name
4. The Handmaiden
3. The Wailing
2. Shin Godzilla

mcz117chief

I haven't really watched any Asian movies. I have seen Daibosatsu-Toge, Yojimbo, Chinmoku (the old one) and Ran, I really enjoyed them but I don't know what else I should watch.

Winter John

Gold Member
Bullet In The Head was best John Woo film.
Zatoichi is a great Samurai movie. Every Kitano film is worth watching. Guy's amazing.
Battle Royale was very good.
One of my all time favorites is a Korean one called Public Enemy. It's about this washed up cop chasing a serial killer.

I'm going to be a little boring here and say The Seven Samurai. I'm a big Kurosawa fan, and I think The Seven Samurai is more or less a perfect movie. I'm a fan of pretty much all his stuff (except Dreams), but I like Sanjuro and High and Low probably the most after The Seven Samurai.

Speaking of long movies, Love Exposure by Sion Sono is amazing. It's about four hours long, but I was riveted the entire time. It's like binge watching an entire tv series. The end was a little weak, but I loved it. I'm not typically a fan of Sion Sono's work (I feel like Vampire Hotel is like getting your eyeballs punched by nonsense, and Tag was like watching Takashi Miike but make less sense).

Speaking of Takashi Miike, Audition and Ichi the Killer are amazing, but I really think Happiness of the Katakuris and Visitor Q are his best work. Visitor Q is quite possibly the most repulsive movie I've ever seen, but once you realize that it is a satirical take on placid Japanese family, it takes on a completely over the top comical aspect that makes the repulsion not only make sense, but also hilarious.

Battle Royale
The book is way better. If you can handle Japanese names, it is well worth the read. The movie changed too much.

AaronB

The Raid and The Raid 2. Both are excellent; I personally prefer the first one as a tight, intense action film. If it wasn't for John Wick, they would easily be my top choice for newer films that live up to the action movie greats.

There are a lot of great martial arts movies, of course. Bruce Lee (Best film: Enter the Dragon); Jackie Chan (My favorite: The Legend of Drunken Master II); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Iron Monkey.

Then, of course, there are animes. So many animes.

Edit: I'll try to actually rank a few of them, but I'll only include my top pick for each star.

1. Enter the Dragon
2. The Raid
3. The Legend of Drunken Master II
4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
5. Iron Monkey
6. Spirited Away

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Jet Li are movies are impressive (The One), and Jackie Chan is a superstar and movie watchers know what he represents (Can do it all, comedy, action etc. one of the best actors who can do a combination of all). I've never seen anything like Into the Badlands, Daniel Wu made this show amazing, without Daniel Wu the martial arts TV show is still impressive but Daniel Wu (Sunny) is the heart and reminds everyone that action martial arts should not be wrote off.

Rashoman
3-Iron
Tampopo
Ikiru
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Oldboy
Throne of Blood
Train to Busan
Secret Sunshine
Sana Dati

(And yes, I have seen Grave of Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro)

kiiltz

Just watched Shoplifters

tQthQJ6.jpg

10/10 tbh

The acting is phenomenal especially from the two leads. It's a great exposition on an impoverished family and I was mostly struck by how accurately the normality of it is depicted. It's never too heavy handed with the drama, in fact it's hardly there. A lot of that is because of the question of family, specifically what defines it, and that question becomes more perverse as you learn more and more about each character and how they came to be where they are. The characters themselves feel like real humans adding to the believability of it. They don't resent society or hate it and they don't blame others for their situation. They do what they do and every now and then they sometimes have fun with it. Other times they don't.

Kore-eda's direction is fantastic btw. He has this subtle touch which really gives the cast room to perform and play off each other. It also allows for smooth transitions when scenes lead into next or when he wants to revisit a previous motif. Most importantly, he sincerely takes an objective look at these character' lives and lets the viewer decide for themselves on the morality of it which I think adds to the thought-provoking nature of the film.

Anyway, loved this one. Maybe I should go back to watching films again.

Last edited:

Kazza

Great thread!

Some nice suggestions so far. I've been learning Mandarin, so let me add some Chinese recommendations:

8450-16120G33235.jpg

I really don't know why the English name for this is Mr Six, but the Chinese title, lao pao, kind of means an old Beijing hoodlum/ruffian. While the old ruffian of the title is still respected within the winding alleyways of his Beijing neighbourhood, outside those confines the new modern China has left him behind. When his estranged son gets into trouble with the son of one of China's nouveau riche, new China clashes with old China. A really interesting film, with plenty of cool scenes and an even cooler ending.

51u8XtCMOxL._SY445_.jpg

The are numerous TV shows and movies about the war with Japan, but Lust, Caution is the best I've ever seen. A group of students conspire to assassinate a Chinese collaborator, but the things start to go awry as one of the female conspirators starts to develop feelings for the target. Come for the rough sex scenes, stay for the interesting plot.

redlantern18.jpg

I could choose any of a number of director Zhang YiMou's classics, but I love the cinematography of Raise the Red Lantern. A slow burning story of the trails and tribulations of a young girl becoming the 4th wife of a rich old Chinese man..

Last edited:

NahaNago

I guess my list would have
  • princess mononoke
  • digimon the movie
  • fist of legend
  • kiki's delivery service
  • train to busan
Honestly only princess Mononoke would be under the best Asian movies I've seen , the others are simply movies I've really really enjoyed. I've seen a ton more but my memory is crap trying to remember the names. I really liked black mask and many of the Jackie Chan movies. Volcano high was fun as well. I tend to like movies that don't take themselves to seriously most of the time. That ending to Busan was just really depressing but I think the word might be touching as well, it gets you with the feels , so it left a big impression.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
I'll throw in a few that I haven't seen posted. These movies don't get enough love.

Memories of Murder

The Chaser

Yellow Sea

Save the Green Planet

zenspider

My list is pretty boring, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

1. Seven Samurai
2. Spirited Away
3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
4. Castaway On The Moon
5. Battle Royale

Holgren

Great thread!

Some nice suggestions so far. I've been learning Mandarin, so let me add some Chinese recommendations:

8450-16120G33235.jpg

I really don't know why the English name for this is Mr Six, but the Chinese title, lao pao, kind of means an old Beijing hoodlum/ruffian. While the old ruffian of the title is still respected within the winding alleyways of his Beijing neighbourhood, outside those confines the new modern China has left him behind. When his estranged son gets into trouble with the son of one of China's nouveau riche, new China clashes with old China. A really interesting film, with plenty of cool scenes and an even cooler ending.

I just watched this movie last night and it was pretty awesome.
The confrontation between Mr. Six (and with him all the older people) against the young ruffians was a great clash between generations that the movie handled perfectly. I especially liked the scene where the son confronted Mr. Six about the time he left them alone. No matter the position and image you have with the people in the community, family has always the power to break you or save you.

The ending was a bit too dramatic for my taste, but overall the movie was amazing. Thumbs up to this recommendation.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Memories of Murder might be my favorite movie of the 21st century along with children of men.

I've seen nearly all of kurosawa's films and my favs are Rashomon and High and Low.

Love Tony leung in Wong Kar Wai films too, In the mood for love, chungkin express, etc.

Can't wait for the US release of Parasite

God Enel

I always subscribe threads like this one because I wanna see all the great movies you guys are mentioning. And then I forget to come back here and actually pick and watch them.

1. I saw the devil
2. Bittersweet life
3. The wailing
4. The raid 2
5. Memories of murder
6. The raid 1
7. Oldboy

Those are just some that came to my mind. 1 is clearly I saw the devil - love the movie.
The rest yeah it’s kinda hard to tell which ones I like more. Bittersweet life / wailing and raid 2 are top 10 movies for me. Love them and can watch them every other day.

Kazza

I just watched this movie last night and it was pretty awesome.
The confrontation between Mr. Six (and with him all the older people) against the young ruffians was a great clash between generations that the movie handled perfectly. I especially liked the scene where the son confronted Mr. Six about the time he left them alone. No matter the position and image you have with the people in the community, family has always the power to break you or save you.

The ending was a bit too dramatic for my taste, but overall the movie was amazing. Thumbs up to this recommendation.

Glad you enjoyed it. While I understand how the ending could seem a little over-dramatic, the whole setting of the scene was enough to make me really like it.

bronk

Banned
Memories of Murder might be my favorite movie of the 21st century along with children of men.

I've seen nearly all of kurosawa's films and my favs are Rashomon and High and Low.

Love Tony leung in Wong Kar Wai films too, In the mood for love, chungkin express, etc.

Can't wait for the US release of Parasite
My DOG! Memories of Murder is my favorite movie. 🤜🤛

I imported on Blu-ray from South Korea.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tokyo Story (1953) is the only one I have really liked.

tokyo-story-bfi-00m-gh0.jpg

Its the kind of film you can just sit down and chill to. Old Boy was comical and the Kurosawa films are all kinda bland, with Yojimbo being the best of the bunch. And then Chinese films are almost universally terrible. Miss me with that Peter Pan Crouching Tiger shit.

Wish I could count Mishima but thats American. I also don't consider the Raid asian since the director is English.

appaws

Banned
I really liked the original "Shall We Dance."

They did a remake of it in English with Richard Gere, but that sucked balls. The original was really good.

GreyHorace

The best I've seen?

seven-samurai-teaser-i29198.jpg

1) Seven Samurai

Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon_poster_goldposter_com_6.jpg

2) Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

a361e276a9fd47c5431f9064f03cdb71.jpg

3) The Twilight Samurai

MV5BZThiZjAzZjgtNDU3MC00YThhLThjYWUtZGRkYjc2ZWZlOTVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_UY1200_CR84,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

4) Yojimbo

Throne_Of_Blood-R70-1957-Akira_Kurosawa-Toshiro_Mifune-Samurai_Classic-Japanese_B2-20x28.jpg

5) Throne of Blood

81q1LOuqgaL._SY445_.jpg

6) Hero

-7506164426986664246.jpg

7) Shaolin Soccer

a2b05f4a6d59396cb22d55656367569f.jpg

8) The Grandmaster

s-l1000.jpg

9) 2046

MV5BMGQ5MzljNzYtMDM1My00NmI0LThlYzQtMTg0ZmQ0MTk1YjkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR109,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

10) Chungking Express

s-l1600-1-1.jpg

Honorable mention - Iron Monkey

Kagey K

Banned
I have no list.

If it’s made by Shaw Bros, it’s worth watching.

Right from the low budget early stuff to the low budget late stuff.

It’s all good and every single one of thier movies deserves a watch.

bati

I'm not going to list all because some have already been mentioned so here it is, in no particular order.

Once upon a time in China (first 3 with Jet Li)
Fist of Legend (my favourite MA movie of all time, Jet Li)
Twin Warriors (Jet Li)
The Defender/Bodyguard (Jet Li)
Infernal Affairs (suck it The Departed)
Hard Boiled (Chow Yun Fat, Tony Leung)
My Sassy Girl

Makariel

Since you limited it to movies and not series, a few in no particular order (except for the first one :D):

The Seven Samurai (GOAT!)
Infernal Affairs (I haven't watched the last movie in the series yet though)
Anything and everything with Jackie Chan in it (ok maybe not his more recent movies, the older stuff where he had unlimited time to shoot is way better)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Akira
Twilight Samurai
Totoro!
Jin Roh (1999)
Bullet to the head
Ong Bak and The Protector for the insane stunts!

I have a few more Kurosawa blu-rays on my to-watch-list, so this might be expanded soon.

GV82

In no particular order some of my faves

Hard Boiled
Wheels on Meals
Iron Monkey
The Raid (haven’t seen the 2nd one yet)
Police Story 1 -3
The Legend Of Fong Sai Yuk
Crouching Tiger
Drunken Master 2 aka Legend of the Drunken Master
Enter The Dragon
Big Boss
Fists of Fury
Way of The Dragon
Twin Warriors
Twin Dragons
Hitman (Jet Li)
Young Master
One Armed Swordsman
Coward Bastard
36th Chamber Of Shoalin
Fearless

There are tons more these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head that I really liked, but there could be a whole other big list of movies that are a bit sillier or not as good such as other Shaw Bros Movies or Some of the Jackie Chan ones that I watch just for the fight scenes & stunts but still enjoyable to watch at least once or twice.

Also there are so many more that I haven’t seen as well, Raid 2, Ong Bak, Oldboy, Ip-man
I just haven’t had the time to watch them all, but I know I have seen about 100-200

I have way too many hobbies between these and all the Horror Films I try to watch and then all the Comic book movies and Sci-Fi and the rest.

Then all the TV and Music, books & comics I am overwhelmed with content, oh yeah sometimes video games too.

Last edited:

God Enel

GV82 GV82

You have to watch the 2nd one. I like the 2nd one more but there are a lot of people favoring the first one as it’s more straight forward.

Holgren

Tried watching Memories of Murder tonight and got bored out of my mind. Had to cut it an hour in since we just didn't care anymore. The movie was heavy on humor and it was not fun but rather silly.

I'll try again another time now that i know what to expect.

Top Bottom