• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List/Rank the best Asian movies you've seen

I'm not a heavy movie guy, but there are some movies that stick in my mind as a Korean.

wFOYjsk.jpg

Once Upon a Time in High School: If nothing else, the final fight scene and the main character's last words he says in school "Fuck the Korean school system!" sum up a lot of the frustrations that even today's kids have about the Korean school system, although it's definitely improved since the military junta days.

GmMll7b.jpg

Joint Security Area: Owing to the very strange and delicate political situation of the Korean peninsula, JSA captures what it is like for the individuals who get caught up in it--insiders and outsiders, North and South Koreans, career soldiers vs. conscripts. A place where truth is buried for the sake of peace--a great movie I highly recommend, although having a background on the Korean peninsula's political situation really does help make sense of things.

Jued68t.jpg

The Man From Nowhere: If you want to see a stunningly handsome man perform a Korean version of Taken, look no further.

EbtUHF3.jpg

Silmido: The story of a squad of convicts given one shot for redemption by assassinating Kim Il-Sung, the North Korean head honcho. Of course, political situations change, and yesterday's weapon is today's inconvenience......Gritty, disturbing and tragic.

7itqVdI.jpg

Brotherhood of War: I am a sucker for stories that involve families, so the story of two brothers who were separated by a series of coincidences and then end up on opposing sides in a war really moved me. There are definitely a string of coincidences that stretch the suspension of disbelief, but I believe it was well-executed for the most part.

Hero: The first non-Korean movie here, Hero is a visually stunning work, and features what I believe to be the greatest fight scene in movie history--Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen in a sword vs. spear fight. The visual imagery is incredible.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I watched an incredibly arresting movie called Kaili Blues the other week. It has a strange, ethereal quality coupled with an absolutely amazing 41 minute long take in the middle.

Would really recommend.

My top 5 personal favourite are:

- Ran
- Rebels of the Neon God
- Platform (should watch this again actually)
- Days of Being Wild
- Woman in the Dunes

Hard to narrow down.

Last edited:

DansDans

Whoa.... people mentioning Mr Six! That's an odd choice I didnt think many others would watch - its a long movie though!

I do a lot of reviews of Asian movies (old and new) on both blog and YouTube form - am I allowed to self-promote here?

In no order:

Wolf Children
Audition
Oldboy
Princess Monoke
Shin Godzilla
The Raid 1 and 2
IP Man
Ghosh in the Shell
Gojira

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

A really good crime drama. Not really that original, or innovative, but it was such a good play on all the usual tropes with a memorable score to boot.

New-World-Montage.jpg

ROMhack

I watched Burning last night and have been thinking of it loads all day. It's a phenomenal movie.

I don't want to spoil it but it's burning with metaphors. Really speaks about class disenfranchisement and mental anguish that comes from not being in control.

If you hate politics then that's cool you don't have to read into that, it's also an excellent thriller :)

--

Edit: The thing is reminds me of the most is The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, which is probably no coincidence given that the film was inspired by a Murakami short story.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
Crouching tiger hidden dragon. A movie ahead of its time both in theme(feminism) and artistry(fusion of eastern wire fu and western dramatic storytelling).

I’m interested in you defining it as a feminist film. I’ve never thought of it that way. Care to elaborate or post a link that you feel sums up your thoughts?

Weiji

Banned
redlantern18.jpg

I could choose any of a number of director Zhang YiMou's classics, but I love the cinematography of Raise the Red Lantern. A slow burning story of the trails and tribulations of a young girl becoming the 4th wife of a rich old Chinese man..

Now this is a feminist film! And also one of my favorites. I’ll bet lots of people here haven’t seen it. I highly recommend people seek this one out.

No specific order:

-Tetsuo: Iron Man
-Tetsuo: Body Hammer
-Pinocchio 964
-Rubber's Lover
-Cure
-Save The Green Planet
-Hellevator
-Kamen Rider ZO
-Kamen Rider J
-Zeiram 1
-Zeiram 2
-Drunken Master 2

...as you can see I'm heavily into the scifi/fantasy/cyberpunk type of stuff primarily , but there's other stuff I've yet to watch so I'd add those over time.

Last edited:

Karmacide

Ping Pong - Great movie with a Shonen Anime vibe. Ping pong has been successful as a manga and an anime, and this is the live action movie.

Survive Style +5 - Sounds like a Kung Fu movie, but it's a bonkers Japanese film about 5 different short story threads that intertwine together.

Fish Story - A punk rock song saves the Earth!

Save the Green Planet - An unhinged man is convinced that his boss is an alien and kidnaps him.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
legend of Fong say-yuk is my favourite Kung fu movie. The fights are the absolute best ever, and the story is really fun as well.

Here’s the full movie on YouTube.

Valonquar

Sex and Zen for that one scene where they are fucking while swinging from a chain wrapped around a beam in the ceiling.

IP man because every fight scene is amazing.

Storm Riders because it is so bad it's hilarious.

God of Cookery and everything else Stephen Chow is part of. Kung-fu Hustle & Shaolin Soccer also.

Minbo: Anti Extortion Lawyer. Hoping this one gets a Criterion collection re-release on Blu-Ray like Tampopo did. It's a great depection of Yakuza that caused the director some real life Yakuza related injuries.

Kikujiro & Brother are great Beat Takeshi flicks.

Drunken Master 2 is the best Jackie Chan movie hands down.

The Magic Crane has some of the most insane wire-fu stunts plus lines like "Don't worry, I squeezed out your seed with my kungfu."

kingwingin

I need help trying to remember the name of an asian horror movie, dont know if it was horror but it was spooky or suspenseful. Watched it over 10 years ago so I dont remember really, but the name was something like apartment 1301 1302.

Google has failed me this past hour

I think of modern directors works, this Chang-dong Lee guy has the best stuff under his belt as far as Asia. I watched Poetry and Secret Sunshine last year and didn't think much about them at the time. Watched Burning and Peppermint Candy a few days ago. Burning I enjoyed because I've read through a few Murakami novels, but Peppermint Candy I was sort of iffy on. But thinking back on it I was expecting "something" even when I knew from the previous stuff I shouldn't. It's just a good piece of work. His stuff is not entertainment. There's a flow to them, great camera work.

Don't sleep on this guy. It's the first time I've felt differently about what a film needs to be, even having seen some edgey stuff before I'm sure. Though I suppose they really just feel like older movies from the middle of the 20th century.

ROMhack

I think of modern directors works, this Chang-dong Lee guy has the best stuff under his belt as far as Asia. I watched Poetry and Secret Sunshine last year and didn't think much about them at the time. Watched Burning and Peppermint Candy a few days ago. Burning I enjoyed because I've read through a few Murakami novels, but Peppermint Candy I was sort of iffy on. But thinking back on it I was expecting "something" even when I knew from the previous stuff I shouldn't. It's just a good piece of work. His stuff is not entertainment. There's a flow to them, great camera work.

Don't sleep on this guy. It's the first time I've felt differently about what a film needs to be, even having seen some edgey stuff before I'm sure. Though I suppose they really just feel like older movies from the middle of the 20th century.

Will definitely second this. Chang-dong's films are really interesting; a little more coherent and grounded in realism compared to Bong Joon Ho.

Burning is phenomenal. Loved Peppermint Candy too. Was iffy about Secret Sunshine - didn't enjoy it but it got under my skin as it tastefully reflects how irrational dealing with grief can be.

He also used to be Korea's Minister of Culture which I find an interesting factoid.

As a medium tied to time and space, film's relationship with history is an ever-curious thing. It’s been a feature probably ever since the beginning — when D.W. Griffiths first posed the question of what would it look to make a film about a racially divided nation?. History provides filmmakers with no end of imaginative ideas. When done well, it's an extremely means of reminding us about the things that we shouldn’t forget — even if we somehow we inexplicably did...

Korean filmmaker Lee Chang-dong’s Peppermint Candy (1997) is a film which focuses bountifully on the relationship between film and history. It tells the story of Young-ho, an embittered ex-soldier who becomes a policeman, and at a later point an office stooge. In the beginning, he joins a group of old school friends for a nice beach get-together. Soon though he enters a state of apoplexy that ends in his suicide (only 5 minutes in so no real spoilers). The story from this point moves backwards throughout his entire life, detailing the events, both sad and self-inflicted, that culminated in this defining moment.

Fittingly, backwards movement is the film's main thematic device: illustrated aptly at the beginning of each chapter with a shot of a mountainside train running in reverse. It's a little on the nose but I adore when films aren't afraid to show artifice like this. Chapters play out so as to allow us agency to piece together the psychological toll that ended Young-Ho's life. They also begin to serve as a reminder of wider cultural trauma. The film comes together in the end as a direct response to the 1980s Gwangju massacre — an event where thousands of people, citizens and military — lost their lives in armed conflict.

Overall Peppermint Candy is a smart film that informs and reflects on the psycho and social impact of the past. In Young-ho we have a reprehensible figure who makes our emotions yo-yo — a little like Imamura's character in Vengeance is Mine. His nature is caustic but consistent with his own tragic history. It’s curious to see Chang-dong play with these themes early in his career given how potent they are in his latest, Burning. It leaves the impression that it's only by addressing film as its own history that we can accept and understand the past — a powerful message in this critic's humble opinion.

Last edited:

lachesis

TkAlJ2c.jpg

Well, there are plenty of artsy and excellent films here - so I would just go with this one. Just no-brainer brutal action movie - similar to Taken.

I really liked the action and all.

Last edited:

Son Tofu

Banned
I'll only do my top five:

Old Boy
Godzilla 84
13 Assassins
Akira
Ju-On: The Grudge

Most Honorable mention:
Takeshi's Castle

YukiOnna

In terms of adaptation of a manga/anime series

Rurouni Kenshin Live Action Trilogy.

Adaptations of the Final Arcs are going to be in theaters in Japan this Summer!

Top Bottom