• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet PS4 Servers Taken Offline Indefinitely (Temp outage began in Jan '24, now made Permanent)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
2jlz4j.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess Sony making $2 billion profit/year in their gaming division since 2017 isnt enough to keep LBP alive.

All the while you can technically still find matches of COD 2 on 360. A game that came out in 2005. World at War is still up too. I played last year for laughs and still works online and even updates your stats too. So even stat tracking ad leaderboard rankings are still active.

Last edited:

RyanEvans21

I guess Sony making $2 billion profit/year in their gaming division since 2017 isnt enough to keep LBP alive.

All the while you can technically still find matches of COD 2 on 360. A game that came out in 2005. World at War is still up too. I played last year for laughs and still works online and even updates your stats too. So even stat tracking ad leaderboard rankings are still active.
Sad for 20 or 40 people playing LBP. Compare to thousand still playing old COD. Even its hacked lobby.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Monkfish877

Unacceptable, Now I know why online wasn't working when I was trying to play online levels with my niece earlier this year. Sony really has contempt for it's customer base, they really need to be put in their place, screw them.

If Sony's going to do anything with this PC push that would actually be beneficial for their own consoles, they should at least allow a way for console owners to set up private servers of retired online games so they can still play them online, on their console, through their PC using some sort of official app.

That's the idealistic take for game preservation while still retaining that in some function with their own hardware. But I don't think SIE gives a crap.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Sony's going to do anything with this PC push that would actually be beneficial for their own consoles, they should at least allow a way for console owners to set up private servers of retired online games so they can still play them online, on their console, through their PC using some sort of official app.

That's the idealistic take for game preservation while still retaining that in some function with their own hardware. But I don't think SIE gives a crap.
I dont think any console maker cares much about game preservation, keeping servers alive forever on their own, or giving gamers access to do their own thing. Once it becomes unworthy keeping the lights on, it's time to turn them off and lock the door.

It seems maybe only Activision out of all the big game companies has long ass servers going on forever.

I'd bet a lot of game studios that focus on PC think the same. But since it's PC, you're going to get guys who know how to mess around and mod games to set up their owners servers and updates. The best bet for Sony game preservation and online is for PC gamers to do that. But the console gamer will left out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

They should consider increasing their PS+ further to improve their infrastructure

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I'm sure the latest Nintendo move gave Sony the confidence to go ahead for this decision. Or maybe not this one game particularly, but I can totally see them thinking about closing Ps3 and Psvita.

Robb

Gold Member
Disappear Cbs GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Sucks and very much devalues any future game where they expect user generated content to be the main driver. What’s the point.

Unacceptable, Now I know why online wasn't working when I was trying to play online levels with my niece earlier this year. Sony really has contempt for it's customer base, they really need to be put in their place, screw them.
They have no-one to put them in their place, so do what they want and when people complain sit there like the cable guys in South Park with holes in their tshirts rubbing their nipples.

Tbh the situation surrounding this looks to be a bit more complex. Hackers exploited vulnerabilities in the LPB3 servers and since the game is so old most of the people with knowledge on how to patch these exploits are probably long gone... Shame the UGC hosted on the servers will be lost, but at least the game will work offline still.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This probably sucks the most for the creators of the user generated content. Their creations are forever lost.

At least this one didn't get turned off a couple years in.

Top Bottom