• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Little Ice Age to start in 2014', climate change is happening right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
So according to a Russian Scientist there are strong indications that we are, in fact, entering a little ice age, contrary to what many studies indicate.

Links: http://russia-ic.com/news/show/13717#.T6cTe-tv8pL

And here: http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=451&c=5

Piers Corbyn, astrophysicist of WeatherAction.com (26th April) says:

"The Sun’s magnetic field is getting into a muddle as one half of it changes out of step with the other and this muddled behavior is likely to become very marked in MAY.

"This strange behavior was pointed out by Japanese researchers from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan and the Riken research foundation* who say this was the sort of behavior which probably took place during low periods of solar activity in the past** and which drove the world into a cold state of longer winters, cold Spring months and lousy summers.

"At the same time independent observers have noticed an increase in Little Ice Age type (Maunder-Dalton type) weather events and circulation patterns around the world such as more extreme hailstorms and cyclonic cold weather in Britain and Ireland with the Jet stream shifted well south***.

Obviously it sounds biased, but what are your thoughts? Anything to prove they are wrong?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ibbWH7MuKZ3ZHB.jpg

little ice age

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I extremely hope not. Fuck winter. I hope it isn't coming.

That or I hope AU is spared and I'll fly there and deal with their shit that wants to kill you just to get away from it.

bengraven

winter-is-coming.jpg

I extremely hope not. Fuck winter. I hope it isn't coming.

That or I hope AU is spared and I'll fly there and deal with their shit that wants to kill you just to get away from it.

! We're not friends anymore! Fuck Florida's never-ending springmer!

demolitio

You win or you die.

Oh damn, wrong line from that series. I mean, WINTER IS COMING!

I guess education is going to plummet in 2014 since snow days will be happening all the time. Seriously though, each and every scientist contradict each other on every subject. We need one scientist that we can declare as "Always right!" but then he could just be bought off...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Everybody start pumping out the greenhouse gasses to balance it out!

How long until the GOP picks this up and uses it to their advantage? I can just see the ads which say "Obama's energy policy bring on Ice Age" or "Vote Romney to drill us out of an impending doom!"

Sorry guys

Could the future of cleaner fossil fuel really be frozen crystals now trapped in ocean sediments and under permafrost?

Backed by an oil industry giant, the Obama administration recently tested a drilling technique in Alaska's Arctic that it says might eventually unlock "a vast, entirely untapped resource that holds enormous potential for U.S. economic and energy security." Some experts believe the reserves could provide domestic fuel for hundreds of years to come.

The drilling has its environmental critics, but there’s also a climate bonus: The technique requires injecting carbon dioxide into the ground, thereby creating a new way to remove the warming gas from the atmosphere.

"You're storing the CO2, and also liberating the natural gas," Christopher Smith, the Energy Department's oil and natural gas deputy assistant secretary, told msnbc.com. "It's kind of a two-for-one."

Raonak

Banned
first few posts winrar.

It's easier to warm up than it is to cool down (ie; wear heavier clothing)
so it's better than the world getting hotter.

only problem would be energy usage rising due to more heaters.

Chuckpebble

Well, I was a little disappointed in how little I got to use of my snowblower this past winter, but I don't think that thing can handle glaciers.

LOCK

So this probably isn't all that shocking. Technically the world is in a weathering pattern that is very dynamic. However, this is not a suggestion of an ice age, which hopefully we won't see one, full blown, for at least another 40k years.

And by the way, global warming is global. This is a trend over time, ignoring the man influenced argument, we are in a global warming period, and if one region gets locking in a "little ice age" event does not represent global temperatures.

Winter is Coming.

A+++

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
If there's any ice on the poles the planet is technically in an ice age. So yeah... the planet has been in an ice age longer than humans have been around and continues to be in an "ice age".

Ramma2

I dunno guys, I'm watching Al Gore's documentary right now and he's pretty sure we're all fucked on the hot side of things.

PS This isn't a very entertaining documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom