• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Locked out of PSN permanently (?) because I used a fake birthday 10 years ago

autoduelist

I don't understand how this is in any way Sony's fault. You are the one who lied. It sucks, definitely, but they aren't at fault.

I don't consider refusing to provide correct identifying and/or demographic information to corporations 'lying'.

Granted, in this case it's connected to a storefront that has your CC data anyway, but in general? There's no way I'm giving every site that asks for it my birthday, and it's not 'lying' when I don't.

poodaddy

In the future don't lie when setting up accounts that are important to you. That's how we avoid punishments that are levied for lies.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't consider refusing to provide correct identifying and/or demographic information to corporations 'lying'.

Granted, in this case it's connected to a storefront that has your CC data anyway, but in general? There's no way I'm giving every site that asks for it my birthday, and it's not 'lying' when I don't.
I mean, by using their service you're agreeing with their ToS, which requires you to provide whatever personal information they want. Call it whatever you want, but if you're being non-compliant with their terms of use they're in the right to do whatever they want with your account and suspend service or whatever.

kliklik

Banned
I mean, by using their service you're agreeing with their ToS, which requires you to provide whatever personal information they want. Call it whatever you want, but if you're being non-compliant with their terms of use they're in the right to do whatever they want with your account and suspend service or whatever.

Their ToS probably also says they have the right to suspend service to you at any time for any reason without explanation. That doesn't mean it's a good business move to do that to a longtime paying customer. Sony should be trying to resolve service disruptions. What is legally required and what one "should" do are quite different and shouldn't be conflated, but they typically are in all settings.

ethomaz

Banned
Well you lied... why Sony needs to trust you now? It is dumb to use fake data in accounts that do money transactions (these data will be used to validade your transactions).

If you have a Ubisoft or Origin account using your PSN account you will be able to see the registered birthday from the settings.

I have both a PSN account and an Origin account already (which shows my proper birthday) my Origin is not connected to my PSN as of right now. So would I say have to create a new Origin account through PSN to then go and see what my PSN birthday is? Would I be able to unlink that Origin from my PSN and add my real one later?

test_account

XP-39C²
No, if you're forced to reset your password, you have to input your date of birth. If you don't remember what date of birth you entered 11 years ago when creating your account, you have to call them to help you reset it. That, along with the fact that you can't change your name, is very archaic.
I know, but that is something you can do through the web, you dont have to call them to reset the password, generally speaking. Its only your fault that you forgot the DoB that you entered. I dont blame you for that, i did the same thing myself and i've forgotten it as well, stuff like that happends. But why exactly do you consider a security measure like this be outdated? Apple, one of the biggest IT companies in the world, also uses DoB as a security step when recoverying a forgotten password. I really cant see why this would be an outdated method for identification. It really isnt.

Using DoB is nothing different than having security questions and stuff like that. DoB is a really basic thing, its something that is basically impossible to forget (taken into account that you entered it correctly and didnt use a fake one, like i did, but that blame is all on me). Google even use "when did you create your Google account" as a security step, so you need to know which month and year the account was created (i find this method to be a bit silly though, because who remembers that, but i would not call this for being outdated).

Its possible to change your name. I just logged into my account and went to account details, press edit, and i can edit my first and last name.

If you have a Ubisoft or Origin account using your PSN account you will be able to see the registered birthday from the settings.
Good shit. One afternoon I thought I forgot my password (just kept making a typo lol) and I tried to reset my password. Tried using my birthday and just going backwards in years. Using your tip I just checked...the date was the day I bought my PS3 and a completely random year. Wrote this date down, because goddamn I was an idiot.

GamerJM

Banned
To everyone saying he should have obeyed the restrictions, I did that and was stuck as a sub account for years. One time I had to buy PS+ twice because the code I used somehow got put on my mom's account. One time I made a topic complaining on a similar forum and the responses I got told me that I should have just lied.

Jiraiza

Shoot, now I'm worried whether I entered my actual birthday for my accounts or not. I'm pretty sure I did since I got a PSN account a little after I go into college and turned 18, but...

Edit: Reset my password, my DOB is right. Dodged a bullet there.

kliklik

Banned
To everyone saying he should have obeyed the restrictions, I did that and was stuck as a sub account for years. One time I had to buy PS+ twice because the code I used somehow got put on my mom's account. One time I made a topic complaining on a similar forum and the responses I got told me that I should have just lied.

If you do it, it's your fault. If you don't do it, it's your fault. And we'll tell you that while insisting we're not blaming you.

We will excoriate a million children online if that's what it takes to defend Sony's honour.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have both a PSN account and an Origin account already (which shows my proper birthday) my Origin is not connected to my PSN as of right now. So would I say have to create a new Origin account through PSN to then go and see what my PSN birthday is? Would I be able to unlink that Origin from my PSN and add my real one later?

If you contact EA support they can unlink the PSN account from it.

Jawmuncher

If you do it, it's your fault. If you don't do it, it's your fault. And we'll tell you that while insisting we're not blaming you.

We will excoriate a million children online if that's what it takes to defend Sony's honour.

This is a good post

Somebody should copy and paste this into the Battlefield 1 Revolution thread.

BHK3

Banned
Where on the origin website does it tell you the birthday of your psn account? The birthday thats listed on there can be edited meaning its the one I made up when I made the origin account...

Bridges

My father bought me my PS3 and decided to set it all up before he gave it to me, made me an account, no idea what the email or birthday is and forgot the password. Lost a lot of LBP and Guitar Hero DLC but just said screw it and made a new account for PS4.

Never use fake birthdays on long term services!

pa22word

Jim please, if anyone knows the irrational depths of t he fanboy mind it should be you. The nuts here are child's play compared to what we put up with back in the day ;)

wait so you got locked out because you used a fake birthday you could not remember? hahahaah if you're gonna lie please make sure to keep your lies hhaa

or better, don't lie at all
being a minor is not an excuse

But anyway, i hope everything gets sorted out, it would be a shame to lose all that, hope you recover it..and don't lie again

HeidiWSJ

Neophyte
Hey all! I'm a Wall Street Journal reporter working on a story about just this sort of thing (people having issues after supplying fake information online). I'd love to talk to any of you that were blocked from the site. You can contact me at heidi.vogt{at}wsj{dot}com.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubloon7

Banned
When I made my PSN account in 2007 I was 16 and I used a fake birthday in case there was any kind of 18+ content restriction. There is no way to modify your date of birth after creating an account and Sony uses it for account verification.

I ran into trouble with this when I moved country this year as my account became under suspicion and they blocked me from spending money with my cards.I wasn't able to get anywhere with customer service since I couldn't verify the DoB associated with the account and they didn't have any other verification method. I've been using vouchers from amazon to buy games since then.

Fast forward to today and I try to login and the system randomly tells me I need to reset my password. Shouldn't be a problem except...when I go to the website I can't proceed without entering my birthday. So now I can no longer access the account I have used for 10 years, with 20+ digital games on PS4 alone, and I'll lose all of my saves including my 300+ hour overwatch account with a shit load of event skins and stuff.

What the fuck Sony, I'm so angry about this right now. Can't call customer support because i'm not in my home country anymore and couldn't post on the forum because I can't log into my account. There is no support email address as far as I can tell.

OP: Your own fault. You sidestepping this minimal effort to curb your young mentality from the mature games is totally your fault and your account should be banned. Create a new one and move on.

JP

I think with things like this people need to be aware when entering or choosing dates of birth as it's pretty normal for companies to use dates of birth as secondary validation on accounts. The reason that it's standard is because dates of birth don't change and aren't forgotten by people.

Any security information such as this really needs to be treated with respect by both parties because it's asking for trouble if either party uses it incorrectly. I certainly wouldn't want any company to give people access to my accounts without the correct information.

The person who created this thread has posted twice in it, the first post concerns them not knowing a way to contact Sony. The second post is them thanking somebody for giving them the information that they weren't able to find themselves and saying that they would use that information to contact Sony. That was six months ago and the person who created this thread hasn't returned to it since.

I'm genuinely not seeing any issues here at all, firstly because we're six months behind whatever the hell is going on and secondly because the entire issue was caused simply because they didn't store the secondary validation information that they chose and they hadn't even spoken to the company when they were complaining about them.

Dubloon7

Banned
I think with things like this people need to be aware when entering or choosing dates of birth as it's pretty normal for companies to use dates of birth as secondary validation on accounts. The reason that it's standard is because dates of birth don't change and aren't forgotten by people.

Any security information such as this really needs to be treated with respect by both parties because it's asking for trouble if either party uses it incorrectly. I certainly wouldn't want any company to give people access to my accounts without the correct information.

The person who created this thread has posted twice in it, the first post concerns them not knowing a way to contact Sony. The second post is them thanking somebody for giving them the information that they weren't able to find themselves and saying that they would use that information to contact Sony. That was six months ago and the person who created this thread hasn't returned to it since.

I'm genuinely not seeing any issues here at all, firstly because we're six months behind whatever the hell is going on and secondly because the entire issue was caused simply because they didn't store the secondary validation information that they chose and they hadn't even spoken to the company when they were complaining about them.
yeah, that and the "wsj" troll bumping up this thread. smh

ReBurn

Gold Member

The post was bumped by someone wanting to interview people for an article, not to keep discussing the issue in the OP.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Go to the chat support. Tell the guy you can't login to your account and need to change your password. He'll ask you if you know the email and have access to it, they'll send a new password link like in 5 minutes. I have the same thing wrong birth date on my account.

Didn't see the bump whoops

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I can't even remember my email address for my PSN account from 10 years ago. Just remember my awesome username... "TheIllusionist". Wish I still had it.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I keep a text file with all the details associated with my several PSN accounts (different countries) just because of situations like this.

Can't say I'm a fan of how every account with these companies must be "verified" now. It just seems like a cheap excuse to phish for personal information from customers...especially bad when these companies can easily be hacked.

I just had a back-and-forth with Facebook a year ago because they disabled my account for no reason and demanded I send them a scan of my license to "verify" the account before they even told me why it was disabled. I refused to send them anything and it was never resolved and they eventually deleted the thing so I was just done with Facebook. If Sony tries the same shit I guess I'll be done with PSN too.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
When I made my PSN account in 2007 I was 16 and I used a fake birthday in case there was any kind of 18+ content restriction. There is no way to modify your date of birth after creating an account and Sony uses it for account verification.

I ran into trouble with this when I moved country this year as my account became under suspicion and they blocked me from spending money with my cards.I wasn't able to get anywhere with customer service since I couldn't verify the DoB associated with the account and they didn't have any other verification method. I've been using vouchers from amazon to buy games since then.

Fast forward to today and I try to login and the system randomly tells me I need to reset my password. Shouldn't be a problem except...when I go to the website I can't proceed without entering my birthday. So now I can no longer access the account I have used for 10 years, with 20+ digital games on PS4 alone, and I'll lose all of my saves including my 300+ hour overwatch account with a shit load of event skins and stuff.

What the fuck Sony, I'm so angry about this right now. Can't call customer support because i'm not in my home country anymore and couldn't post on the forum because I can't log into my account. There is no support email address as far as I can tell.

Happened to me on xbl. I created a specific yahoo email account for my 360. At the time I really didn't like putting true personal info in.

Years later, I hadn't had to type my password in for those years, I couldn't log in so lost all of my achievement count etc. Had to create a new account for XB1.

Tried to contact MS, yahoo etc. Nothing doing. In fact I couldn't get any further than a bot answering my requests.

You complain that companies are vulnerable to hackers and complain about measures to prevent security breaches in the same breath.

Them taking my personal information to verify an account will not do a thing to stop hackers.

The only reason they CLAIM to do it is because it's some lame method to try to stop trolls and bot accounts that will flood other accounts with spam and negative posts. But rather than just police these accounts on a case-by-case basis, they just ask for personal info from everyone. Meanwhile, it's quite likely they're handing this info to their advertisers so I'll eventually get flooded by ads, all for their personal profit. None of this has anything to do with hackers or security breaches at all.

Last edited:

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
Them taking my personal information to verify an account will not do a thing to stop hackers.

The only reason they CLAIM to do it is because it's some lame method to try to stop trolls and bot accounts that will flood other accounts with spam and negative posts. But rather than just police these accounts on a case-by-case basis, they just ask for personal info from everyone. Meanwhile, it's quite likely they're handing this info to their advertisers so I'll eventually get flooded by ads, all for their personal profit. None of this has anything to do with hackers or security breaches at all.
Hey, I'm sure we'd all love to know where you're getting this information from? If you do have evidence to back up claims of this kind then we generally ask people to provide proof so that they can take action.

However, if it is just your opinion that this is happening then I'm sure we'd all agree that it would be more constructive to present it as such.

test_account

XP-39C²
So stupid you can’t change your username or birthday
Username is fair, but its not like people have variable birth dates :p Those are set in stone. I feel with the OP though, since i also used fake birthdates several of places when i registered places online.

anoher example of how PSN is garbage.
Its garbage that they have security measures regarding date of birth? Its not like this is highly uncommon either.

Unless you know the date of birth, you wont be able to do social engineering. The problem OP has is that he/she needs (or needed, the post is relatively old) to enter the date of birth. The hackers will run into the same problem if they try to access the account, they need to know the date of birth. They wont be able to bypass this, unless we're talking about hacking the actual servers and hoping that informatin can be extracted through that method. But social engineering is much more common. And setting up a bot to enter a random date of birth shouldnt be much of a problem, so it wont stop people from creating fake accounts. CAPTCHA systems are used for that instead. Have you gotten flooded by ads for signing up for something like this by the way? Personally i cant remember that i have.

---

What happened with the OP anyway, did he/she get it resolved? Its about half a year ago.

Last edited:
Lying has consequences? Who knew!

I mean this is all on you, but thankfully there seems to be a fix for this issue. Still a bit silly to do that.

Allandor

This thread reminds me of someone who complained about not getting a password reset after the support asked him for his name and address he provided in his account. If you intentionally create an account with false data you should at least save this somewhere else, so you can contact the support if something happens.
If it is only your birth-date that is incorrect, than you can talk with the support and provide your ID via scanned ID card, or something like that. Normally this isn't a problem.

But it can happen that they don't help you. Just try to see this from their perspective. You claim to be the customer that has the wrong address/birthdate whatever in a time where accounts get hacked all the time because of social engineering techniques.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Username is fair, but its not like people have variable birth dates :p Those are set in stone. I feel with the OP though, since i also used fake birthdates several of places when i registered places online.

Its garbage that they have security measures regarding date of birth? Its not like this is highly uncommon either.

Unless you know the date of birth, you wont be able to do social engineering. The problem OP has is that he/she needs (or needed, the post is relatively old) to enter the date of birth. The hackers will run into the same problem if they try to access the account, they need to know the date of birth. They wont be able to bypass this, unless we're talking about hacking the actual servers and hoping that informatin can be extracted through that method. But social engineering is much more common. And setting up a bot to enter a random date of birth shouldnt be much of a problem, so it wont stop people from creating fake accounts. CAPTCHA systems are used for that instead. Have you gotten flooded by ads for signing up for something like this by the way? Personally i cant remember that i have.

---

What happened with the OP anyway, did he/she get it resolved? Its about half a year ago.
Not if you’re born on a leap year.

camelCase

Lying has consequences? Who knew!

Lol.

None of this shit should matter if you're the CC holder and you are the person who paid the money. There's no reason they need to know my actual name and DOB(other than for age verification which is a sham anyway). Not even for CC purposes.

Imagine having this happen at retail store? Absurd.

Last edited:
Lol.

None of this shit should matter if you're the CC holder and you are the person who paid the money. There's no reason they need to know my actual name and DOB(other than for age verification which is a sham anyway). Not even for CC purposes.

Imagine having this happen at retail store? Absurd.

You should tell that to everyone who faked their birthday at Pokerstars, for example.

Games have age limits for a reason. Don’t want to get your account closed? How about writing your real birthday? Not that difficult to understand.

TheContact

you should be able to get it back but you will need to contact customer service and send them proof of identification, usually a scanned copy of your license and/or credit card on file

Top Bottom