• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan |OT| Children of (X)Men (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Reading that summary.

And seeing the clips.

I still don't know. The X line is just a mess. First Class and DOFP were good but man, the Wolverine movies have burned me too many times.

Reading that summary.

And seeing the clips.

I still don't know. The X line is just a mess. First Class and DOFP were good but man, the Wolverine movies have burned me too many times.
How do the bad movies that came before have anything to do with the quality of this movie?

Quick

Banned
Great thread, MMarston. Subbed.

Looking forward to Logan, and I'm so happy that it's well-received.

Also well done on that title. A++

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm really curious to see how this plays Thursday.

We should start getting some general audience impressions by Wednesday, too.

Would also really hate to be the guy that somehow finds a way to brings his kids into this movie though, heh.

Great thread, MMarston. Subbed.

Looking forward to Logan, and I'm so happy that it's well-received.

Also well done on that title. A++
You'll be pleased to know that I had some of your threads open while making the OP.

Quick

Banned
We should start getting some general audience impressions by Wednesday, too.

Would also really hate to be the guy that somehow finds a way to brings his kids into this movie though, heh.

You'll be pleased to know that I had some of your threads open while making the OP.

I've seen Deadpool in theatres more times than I'd like to admit (maybe like 3 times), and there's always a kid in each showing.

OT's a real beaut. Happy to be a good influene for once. :p

bms-don-cherry-5-march-2011.jpg

Saw it tonight. It's brutal and you'll be crying by the end. I don't have many complaints off the top of my head. I think it might even be too grim for general audiences, but fuck em, this is the Wolverine movie I always wanted.

Someone pressed me on twitter to name a movie I'd compare Logan's level of violence to.

I thought for a second and came up with Rambo (2008)

MMarston

Jesus Christ.

Rambo 4?? That's straight gore.
I mean, just to reiterate...
There's that and...

- Various decapitations
- People getting legit blown up all splattery
- Halved-skulls
- Skulls blown open by revolvers
- Eye stabs
- Logan seems to love stabbing people through the jaw

Laura literally obliterates a man's entire face with one punch through a windshield.

It's fucking great.

Even if you know it's coming, you don't know it's coming. And then it happens and you're just like "AHAHAH WHAT THE FUCK"

And then there's like, 90 more minutes of movie to go.

I liked the movie quite a lot.

It's a smaller story than usual superhero movies. It happens to be about mutants, but it's not "look at how cool this guy's power is", or full of CGI destruction. Well, except for the death and blood. There's lots of that.

Both Stewart and Jackman give great performances. Their back and forths give the movie a bit of welcome humor, but it's not slapstick. Pretty subtle, which I like. The kid is okay. Near the end there's more kids and then the acting (and the story) gets a little iffy.

Laieon

Live in Korea, it was released yesterday. I've never seen Rambo, but I'd definitely put it up there with something like Friday the 13th in terms of violence.

I've never been a huge X-Men fan, but this might already be a movie of the year contender for me.

LionPride

Banned
It's shaping up more and more like I may have to find a way to watch this. It's all up to Korey, Martin, Kris, and DPalm...

RedStep

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice...you can't get fooled again.

But really, I just can't escape those movies when thinking about Logan.

Nobody here will be upset with you if you don't go see the movie, despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary of your position. Most people won't see the movie, it's cool.

Fantastic film.

Feeling real nostalgic for the first X-Men film now.

I saw a clip from it the other night (Statue of Liberty scene, specifically) and it was almost like looking at one of the comics Logan ranks out in this movie.

Like, I can't even really imagine how you wind up here after starting from there anymore. It's kinda crazy.

MMarston

Honestly never thought that the same franchise that blurted out something as hilariously garbage as Origins would tonally get to where it is now.

I saw a clip from it the other night (Statue of Liberty scene, specifically) and it was almost like looking at one of the comics Logan ranks out in this movie.

Like, I can't even really imagine how you wind up here after starting from there anymore. It's kinda crazy.

I was 8 years old when that film came out. I have loved the X-Men and these films for most of my life. It's going to a strange experience going forward.

Watched this last night, the biggest surprise was no post credit scene.

Overall I loved the film, would consider it to be a cut above modern superhero films & it even holds up by non superhero standards.

That said, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece because I did take a few issues with how some of the major moments were handled, particularly deaths. Charles & Logan were the standouts in this film by a mile, the interaction between the two was the strongest part. IMO it would have been good to continue with Charles' deterioration into an unstable threat, forcing Logan to give him a mercy killing, or even for him to go peacefully at the farm after his speech. Instead we got some brilliant dialogue followed by X24s introduction from nowhere in an almost dreamlike sequence resulting in a quick, almost brushed aside death for such a longstanding iconic character. The same goes for Wolverine too to an extent. Don't get me wrong, the send offs weren't exactly bad & they're arguably above anything in comic film standards, but I just felt that after 17 years of seeing these characters on screen, the big death scenes could have been far more impactful, rather than coming from a pretty generic comic villain.

The film nailed all the smaller build up moments, but not the biggest ones. Also I would have liked to see the film expand the backstory of what happened to the X Men & other characters, considering last time we saw them everything was fine. Although It might have just been implied due to budget constraints.

Blue Lou

There's nothing stopping Transigen agents going to Canada and wiping the kids out should they so wish. They now have a clone of Caliban to track them and are able to make another X-24 (even without Zander Rice) to kill them.

I liked the little montage of awful limo passengers, just to show you the shit he puts up with to get that Sunseeker yacht.

I also liked the X-24 scenes. I haven't seen Terminator Genisys, which effects were better?

I dunno, I think one of the film's positives is that it stuck with the low-key atmosphere as much as it could, and that included the deaths. There was no big cinematic buildup, no slowly rising music as everyone realized what was about to happen (this sorta thing happens exactly once in the whole movie, and it's not the man you'd think it would be)

People just.. get their tickets punched. They get caught up in a shit scenario and they catch a bad one for it.

If anything, it forces focus off towards the aftermath of violence even more, which is one of the bigger themes of this film, after all.

For a film framed as ending the superhero age of a specific cinematic universe, the fact almost nobody actually gets a hero's death is a great choice. They don't go out like world beaters. They just go out. It's more about how we deal with the wreckage afterwards.

Some characters do better at that than the others.

re: the X-Men's deaths - it's pretty much doled out in pieces via exposition you have to catch from multiple characters along the way. They leave it vague enough that if you have familiarity, you're thinking "maybe this is the thing they're taking from Old Man Logan?" but Charles pretty much lays it out at the farmhouse without actually saying the words, and removes that option.

So I loved it. Minor nitpick though. Didn't seem to be very post apocalyptic world? Seemed like a pretty normal world. Maybe they wouldn't go as far as Old Man Logan did anyway.
edit, no spoiler bars. Sweet.

I dunno, I think one of the film's positives is that it stuck with the low-key atmosphere as much as it could, and that included the deaths. There was no big cinematic buildup, no slowly rising music as everyone realized what was about to happen (this sorta thing happens exactly once in the whole movie, and it's not the man you'd think it would be)

People just.. get their tickets punched. They get caught up in a shit scenario and they catch a bad one for it.

If anything, it forces focus off towards the aftermath of violence even more, which is one of the bigger themes of this film, after all.

For a film framed as ending the superhero age of a specific cinematic universe, the fact almost nobody actually gets a hero's death is a great choice. They don't go out like world beaters. They just go out. It's more about how we deal with the wreckage afterwards.

Some characters do better at that than the others.

re: the X-Men's deaths - it's pretty much doled out in pieces via exposition you have to catch from multiple characters along the way. They leave it vague enough that if you have familiarity, you're thinking "maybe this is the thing they're taking from Old Man Logan?" but Charles pretty much lays it out at the farmhouse without actually saying the words, and removes that option.
Yeah, it feels like the end of the mutants was Rice and the Alkali unit/Transigen modifying food to kill of mutants. Logan survived due to his healing factor but it got hurt and couldn't heal the adamantium poisoning any more. Charles had an attack and wiped out most of the X-Men/mutants and civilians in NYC and then had another one later that wiped out the last X-Men.

I fucking cried.

Code_Link

Wow, the feels after watching this movie.

Jackman and Stewart were fantastic. Such a great film. Bawled my eyes at the end, but probably not just because of the movie, but because it really feels like the end of an era.

Have to watch it again, one of the best X-Men films. Can't believe it's over.

For a split second, I thought that maaaaaaybe it was Sabertooth.

Like, it was only a split second. Half a second. Then I realized what was up.

MMarston

Making X-24 Schrieber would have made the "man, how the shit did we tonally get from Origins to here" sentiment even more guffawing.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It's hinted that Xavier basically wiped them all out

Not INTENTIONALLY, of course, but yeah

I'm not immediately familiar with old man Logan (and didn't watch Apocalypse), but he wiped them out as-in 'Onslaught' style, or just somehow lost it as Xavier by 'himself'?

I'm not immediately familiar with old man Logan (and didn't watch Apocalypse), but he wiped them out as-in 'Onslaught' style, or just somehow lost it as Xavier by 'himself'?

Turns out this has pretty much zero in common with Old Man Logan. Articles referencing that run are kinda doing people a disservice.

In Old Man Logan, Mysterio mindfucked Logan and as a result, Logan slaughtered all of the X-Men in one massive berzerker rage. That's what caused him to retreat to nowhere and become a pacifist who never popped his claws again (at least until later in the book)

In this movie, Logan has nothing to do with the end of mutantkind. He's also not a pacifist, and his retreat to nowhere is for a completely different reason.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Turns out this has pretty much zero in common with Old Man Logan. Articles referencing that run are kinda doing people a disservice.

In Old Man Logan, Mysterio mindfucked Logan and as a result, Logan slaughtered all of the X-Men in one massive berzerker rage. That's what caused him to retreat to nowhere and become a pacifist who never popped his claws again (at least until later in the book)

In this movie, Logan has nothing to do with the end of mutantkind. He's also not a pacifist, and his retreat to nowhere is for a completely different reason.

Oh, I gotcha.

Was kind of asking moreso about the 'why' of Xavier suddenly snapping and killing everyone - seems kind of odd for a setup - not impossible, given that Onslaught is a thing in the comics, but still kinda eyebrow-raising.

MMarston

Basically, Charles has been suffering from a number of brain diseases for a while now and one of the side effects is that whenever he has a significant seizure, he does that thing where he freezes everyone like he usually does... only, instead of just 'freezing,' everyone in the immediate area is shaking furiously and look like they're being charged up to explode Scanners style.

What's implied in the film is that Charles probably did his usual Cerebro thing where finds all the mutants on the planet, only that time, he fucked up and accidentally blew most of their noggins to kingdom come as well.

Cth

I'd imagine it's something akin to Alzheimers.. imagine the worlds most powerful mutant who's only grown stronger over the years suddenly losing control of his brain.

Kinda interesting concept given Xavier's son and his mental issues and subsequent problems resulting from that.

So I caught a screening…

I genuinely don't understand what people see in the X-Men movies, but it is absolutely my fault for expecting to see something different than what we've been getting from Fox for 17 years. Thankful I didn't pay a dime for it, though.

Maybe you'll like it if you enjoyed the previous entries. Meh.

okdakor

Too bad that the best Wolverine movie is also the last... First movie where you can physically feel each slash and slice, and almost no wire-fu. Just brutal.

X-23 was created when I was no longer following comics, I wasn't sure of what to expect from this character, and there's always the "kid sidekick" fear... The kid is great, reminded me a little of the girl in "Let the right one in" (the feet claws... why not). Just a critic about the other kids, they seemed maybe a bit "too much" organized, not really looking on the run or afraid.

I'd have prefered some "real" reavers, full robot-bodies, torso on tank treads... I guess that was the price to pay for a more realistic tone.

The introduction of the clone, out of nowhere, during Xavier's speech, was really effective. Every scene with Xavier is great, Patrick Stewart couldn't hope for a better goodbye to this character. Same for Jackman.

MMarston

So I caught a screening…

I genuinely don't understand what people see in the X-Men movies, but it is absolutely my fault for expecting to see something different than what we've been getting from Fox for 17 years. Thankful I didn't pay a dime for it, though.

Maybe you'll like it if you enjoyed the previous entries. Meh.

The third act kinda has that problem to noticeable degree, but can't see how the rest of the film lines up with that description. How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom