• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| Not that one. The other one.

Crownttano

I did play on the Steam Deck yesterday
It was a decent mess
Frames tank to 30s often during combat
I was in the Mines and especially in Umbral, was disgusting
I mainly play on PS5 but fook it if I had no other choice I'd still play this on the Deck jajaja

I was using Grieving Gaze spell on some NG+ bosses
Pretty destructive up close, health and posture damage

ssringo

Has anyone tried this on steam deck yet?

My post earlier about Deck experience. The game was still "unknown" at the time and at this point they've got the "playable" status.

Decided to download the game on my Deck and see how it is. Made it to the main hub before stopping.

Everything defaults to low settings (expected) and seems to in general float between 30 and 45 fps. Can dip to the 20s at worst and get all the way to 60 at best. Not great but certainly playable though I imagine it won't hold up in some of the later stuff. It does NOT like you fucking with settings (game settings OR Deck performance settings) in game. Every time I did framerate tanked to the 20s and would not stabilize until reloading. It also seems to mess up the button to skip cutscenes at times. Also had it goof in the menus as well where I couldn't select anything.

The devs seem to want the game to be verified at some point as it has a Deck controller layout in the settings. The experience was ok and if they can get performance stable it would be a solid way to play the game on the go. But right now I don't think it's worth it.

The performance is about the same and I don't recall having buttons messing up the last few times I played. I dunno if they fixed the issue I mentioned regarding changing settings though. I mostly play on a proper PC so on my Deck I only do farming and methodical progression. Have played up to Lower Calrath on Deck without any real issues but the game will definitely chug when you get too much happening.

P.S. That reveal trailer set to Iron Maiden, amirite?
P.S.S. Yes, I like Callisto. And I'm hoping for a sequel and a Director's Cut which fixes flaws and reinserts cut content like the ties with PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. So what?
The announcement trailer used "Mother" by Danzig, and the gameplay reveal trailer used "Fear of the Dark" by Iron Maiden.

Callisto is very likely dead, unfortunately. Glen Schofield is gone, and the after-credits of FINAL TRANSMISSION definitely feels like a "So long, folks!".

P.S.: Cheers to everyone that's enjoying Lords of the Fallen! It's not perfect - but it scratches the Dark Souls itch in its own way.

FingerBang

I'm about halfway through the game and the more I play it, the more I like it. I don't know if it's because they've been patching it, but apart from a couple of weird bugs, the game has been really solid on PC.

When it comes to level design, this is the best non From Software soulslike. I've been moving forward with a strength build with a 2 hand sword and the fighting system is basically a clone of Dark Souls and co, with the addition of a few interesting mechanics.

I don't really get a metacritic of 75. The opinion on this game will change and it will be considered fantastic once they iron all the kinks, at least the first half.

Last edited:
As I said in one of my very first posts, this game most evokes the original Dark Souls, this dude seems to agree:

As for best Soulslike? Still undecided there, I'm at the very end now but will save my final thoughts until after I've actually completed it. I will say I've ultimately had a blast with it and the potential is there to turn into the next, great Soulslike franchise. As I also said in an early post it seems to be a love it or hate it game, for every YT vid praising it we can find one bashing it and vice versa. A few more photo mode shots of this darkly gorgeous world 📸

0h4SSTA.jpg
AdvuCnR.jpg
kv7eauH.jpg
YEJp8YN.jpg

Last edited:

Kings Field

Gt my Pietas upto +5 and other weapons to +7 or so. I'm about 75% through I believe. I will e doing NG after this run but not NG+.

Like someone else said, I'm getting Dark Souls 1 vibes from this game the more I play.

To be this is a solid 8.5/10 game with the only negatives being the technical aspects. Hopefully they get ironed out in the future.

TonyK

Question for Xbox users. I want to buy it in Xbox series X but what is preventing me to buy it is not the framerate but the placement of the UI during battle. In PS5 and PC is placed closer to the borders of the screen, but in the Xbox gameplays I saw the same UI is placed more inside in the screen, like if it was intended for a 4:3 screen.
My question is if this has been fixed in some patch or it continues being in this way, different from the PS5 and PC versions?

8xituTB.jpg

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished it yesterday. Really liked it overall, but just like Elden Ring I was at the end of my rope with non-stop bosses, mobs and sudden difficulty spikes in the last 10% or so. Just rushed through it. Loved everything before that.
Solid game. Great even for first attempt. Really captured most of the essence that makes FromSoft's souls games so great.
Thumbs up and highly recommended.

Valt7786

Really glad to see people seeing this game for the gem that it is. Shame it launched with the performance issues, but once they're sorted out and its had some balancing this should jump from a solid 8 to a 9/10 game easily. Amazing effort for a newer, small team too. Love it.

Lux R7

the artstyle of this game doesn't get enough praise imho

53282610972_da3d4a4769_o.png

53283753123_48a8e8eeb0_o.png

and i feel like screenshots don't to it justice somehow, maybe you need a high-end pc, ok, but there are parts of this game that are absolutely stunning. Even just the hub at Skyrest Bridge is a joy for the eyes (if you like gothic and gothic horror :p)

Last edited:

stickkidsam

The legends of the swamp speak true! Those slimy bastards look straight out of a silent film with all that stuttering lol

On the other hand, it’s really fun exploring the area and knocking those bird brains off their stilts. Seems like closing and starting the game relieves some of the performance issues at least.

stickkidsam

Aaaaaannd that’s the first beacon cleansed! Not a crazy fight, but still neat. Though the ease in beating him might’ve had something to do with my summon taking all the aggro lol

It’s kind of nuts how hard the bosses go after the summoned NPC’s. It gave me plenty of time to wail on his ass.

On a side note, holy shit do I have caveman brain. The petrified girl asked me to “Get it off her”, so I figured it must be the item behind her and the game was just being weird. Rolled into her and she just shattered. Pretty sure her last words were “Fuck!” Or maybe that was just me saying it out loud xD

Guess I’ll have to try using magic next time.

Last edited:
After almost 70 hours clocked I finished my first playthrough and overall I had an absolute blast. First playthrough is always blind, no guides. I got the radiant ending, managed to complete 4 NPC sidequests, found all but 2 of the Sanguinax upgrades, found 3 out of 4 Umbral Lamp upgrades. I explored this dark, beautiful, intricately designed world high and low but there are still plenty of mysteries to solve.

The greatest compliment I can pay LoTF is that - at times - I felt like I was playing Dark Souls 4. This is of course is a double-edged sword in that it often came with a sense of deja-vu, a feeling that I'd already been here, that I'd already fought a boss just like this one. Still, if you're going to ape the best you'd better do it well and on that front LoTF largely succeeds.

At the risk of repeating what I've written in previous posts I again need to highlight the mechanic that sets LoTF apart from the pack and is at the heart of it's identity: the Umbral Lamp. The first few hours with the game I was skeptical but pretty soon it all clicked and I learned to appreciate just how engaging this mechanic really is in both combat and exploration, I absolutely love it. However, I believe it is also the culprit behind LoTF's greatest woe: performance.

This game should have been delayed *at least* 3 months, it wasn't ready to go on *any* platform and while the devs have been furiously at work pumping out patches I haven't really seen any difference in stability on the PS5 playing in performance mode. I fully appreciate anyone jumping into this and getting frustrated enough to drop the game due to performance. It's a shame because you can't change a first impression even if a lot of what is behind that can be genuinely special.

LoTF is a generous game, there is *a lot* of content to sink your teeth into, a ridiculous number of weapons/armor sets to play with, myriad character builds to experiment and keeps things fresh, a sprawling world teeming with secrets. Three endings that don't allow save scumming to obtain means you'll be playing this for a *real* long time if you want to see and do it all. Now that I've finished the game and I'm looking up stuff I missed I have to say, some of these NPC quests are opaque as fuck, good luck lol.

LoTF is far from perfect, enemy variety is a big weakness, performance has a long way to go, it's main inspiration is at times *too* spot on. But as a first effort from these devs in this increasingly saturated genre I have to say that I walk away impressed, the foundation is here for a series that is worthy of the Souls heritage (much like Lies of P, crazy they released in the same year and so close to each other), you can't ask for much more than that.

Last edited:

Crownttano

Killed Light Reaper so fast with Divine Arms he bugs out dead on his knees while the dragon continues flying around fighting on without him, ridiculous
NG+

Antwix

Yeah, refunded. This game is so clunky. From the movement, to the combat, to the camera itself. Regarding the camera though, is there some mystery setting besides camera sensitivity (controller on PC) ? Moving the camera horizontally is smooth, but when I start to move the camera on the Y axis it speeds up tremendously. It's unbelievably jank. I suppose it doesn't really matter now though anyway.

stickkidsam

Man the co op in this game is great. When it works of course. Performance issues aside, there’s a dynamic in this game between players I dig. Playing support feels much more viable because of how seamless the magic system is.

In a boss battle for example, I can place sanctify down and switch out with my brother so he can heal up. Even if I die, no worries! He uses 1 of his 5 flasks to bring back a MEDIC! I never really saw this dynamic in the Fromsoft games. It’s not that Lords of the Fallen does it better per se, but it’s a difference I really dig for a cooperative experience.

I really hope they can make Co Op feel smoother eventually because it really is a blast.

Bartski

Gold Member
A bit lttp I just finished my first run. Here is a wall of text.

Going in fresh after reading why it's a 1/10 on NeoGaf and listening to some youtube essays on why this game is a total abomination I was expecting it to be mediocrre at best.

It's not the best soulslike ever made, but I wasn't prepared how much I'm gonna love everything it does right.

When in Rome do as the Romans do so I'll start with a little rant. Everything you've heard about abysmal performance on playstation is true. Asset pop in is probably the worst I've ever seen, weird smear/ checkerboard like effect with artefacts in dense areas and pixelated flame and fog effects, enemies animated in 10 fps up close.

Endless clusterfucks of mobs coming at you get super annoying, but I see people having a problem with every reocurring tougher new enemy being introduced as a miniboss fight. That's totally fine imo, but those enemies having gigantic health pools as they did in the boss fight is not.

The game feels a lot like Dark Souls 2, where getting to the boss is most often way bigger of a challenge than the boss itself.
Most of the time everything 1-2 shots you and a lot of the natural progression is about avoiding combat. Not until late when you come revisit earlier areads and 1-2 shot everything yourself, in order to finally be able to explore. Which is what you do while not focusing on fighting the enemy dear Hexworks.

Now, the director of this game and all his core design staff didn't get the memo, explaining how a mechanic of respawning enemies totally fucking ruins exploration and there has literally never been a game in history where that was a good idea.

Weird analogy to make but that's what killed Atomic Heart for me.

I understand they wanted to keep the tension in Umbral high but in result getting into Umbral is just a bad idea you often can't avoid. Once you're in it tho - gameplay turns into spaz about running just trying to find a way out or the next point to plant the checkpoint, or the statue that gets you out of it. Too bad as the alternative reality looks super dope, and somehow the option to take it all in and really explore is taken away from you.

Now imagine entering umbral would introduced a bunch of additional tough enemies, but had a much more lenient red reaper timer and no respawn. Instantly better.

Good news is that combat and how chaining attacks works is another nice surprise. Feedback from parrying sucks but the sidestep dance you/re able to pull chaining different attacks works great.

There is just couple of common sense tweaks to how it controls I hope From soft finally gets a clue. Toggle click L3 to run. How hard can this be Miyazaki?

Throwables and ammo working as actual ammo is another great idea, takes away all of the hoarding-for-later-never-to-use-it effect. Like those batshit crazhy OP throwables. Remember kids if nothing works, you always have the toxic granade. Only thing it's lacking is some lore it's made of cheese.

Game has some of the best looking spell casts in all of the genre, eat Elden Ring alive. Magic, overall as much as I've used it, feels great and is an essential addition to every build. How reliance on certain magic and buff and types can change the feel of it between hitting wither and posture, so good.

Areas in the game are incredible with some jaw dropping vistas of the interconnected land. I can imagine what a treat is on a banger PC, and you can actually recognize places far out in the distance without them looking like fucking porridge.

Also what I don't see getting enough spotlight, as far as delivering on gothinc medieval dark fantasy, the game has the best ever souls fashion full stop.

mRcvAQ9.jpg
G00bjf0.jpg

Gonna stick to PvP PvE for some time and then going for a "new game zero", should be hilarious this overpowered.

Lords of the Fallen is a flawed but otherwise a very good souls game. Not as good as Lies of P but an easy 8/10 from me.

Last edited:
Is this game good or not. I can't tell. Interested in it, but keep seeing videos saying it awful and then videos saying is the best souls ever. wtf?

A bit lttp I just finished my first run. Here is a wall of text.

Going in fresh after reading why it's a 1/10 on NeoGaf and listening to some youtube essays on why this game is a total abomination I was expecting it to be mediocrre at best.

Which NeoGAF and what YT vids? Point is half of us were praising it, the other half hated it, same with YT crowd. Otherwise I mostly agree with what you wrote, anyone who fundamentally likes Souls really just needs to check it out for themselves and see if it clicks 👌

stickkidsam

Is this game good or not. I can't tell. Interested in it, but keep seeing videos saying it awful and then videos saying is the best souls ever. wtf?
It is most definitely a flawed but good game and I’d say it’s worth a shot for anyone that likes a soulslike. Some key features that’ll make or break it for people:

• Mob density is high for low tier enemies
  • Ranged enemies are often there to pressure the player.
  • Bosses often show up as normal mobs with high health
  • Enemies have poise that can be broken for critical hits using parries and strong charged attacks.
  • Parrying blocks most damage and the remaining damage can be regained if you hit the enemy before they can hit you.
  • The alternate realm, Umbral, plays a major role in exploration. It contains enemies meant to hunt and harass the player, but also special items to find.
  • While there are a fair number of Vestiges (testing points), you can also create a personal vestige at a seed bed, which appear very often. You may only have 1 of these at a time.
  • Combat is responsive, but can feel floaty.
  • You have 2 dodges with different applications. A quickstep akin to Bloodborne (good for close combat) and a dodge roll akin to Dark Souls (good for avoiding large attacks).
  • Stamina drain is generous. Depending on your weapon type you can get 4 - 6 attacks in and still be able to dodge with base stamina.
  • Move sets are based on weapon type and each one has its own feel with varied attacks. Daggers have lots of lunge while fists are snappy tight for example.
  • Ranged weapons and Magic are separate and have their own ammo which refills when you rest. You can also switch between magic and ranged weapons in the menus without either losing ammo.
  • Enemies can pick up your “souls” on death, so you may need to fight even harder to get them back.
  • The Umbral lamp is primarily for traversal, but has 2 functions in combat. 1 to drain Umbral sprites that buff enemies. The other splits enemy spirits from their bodies, stunning them and giving you a chance to get a lot of damage in. You can also drag their bodies off ledges with this mechanic.
  • The world is often designed with a lot of verticality in mind and there are tons of routes that may loop in on each other.
  • NPC quest lines offer some hints to progression, but it’s largely very vague similar to Dark Souls.
  • Co Op can be started at vestiges. Your co op partner will stay in the game even if they die and can be revived using one of your heals or by resting at a Vestige. You will not share story progress however.
As for performance issues, it depends on your platform. I’m on PS5 and will occasionally get a dip in frame rate. Overall it’s a stable experience, but I recommend fully closing the game each time since it does seem to have a memory leak issue. Co Op is largely stable, but you will notice a dip in performance with some occasional lag/rubber banding.

Hope this helps.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I still haven’t gone back. I think I’ll replay Dark Souls II again.
I’d rather play DaS2. I won’t get into detail about why I disliked it. I did that earlier and it’s more exhausting to rehash. Those are my two cents.

WitchHunter

Banned
They had ample content, but had to water it up with enemies everywhere. Towards the end the encounters were like: big, building like boss, surrounded with ranged enemies in tight spaces... Thank you, best design ever dreamed. They shamelessly copied/stole everything from Elden Ring/DS/Blade of Darkness/Control and introduced new changes and the changes ruined the overall experience. Visuals and some of the boss fights are friggin good tho. Combat is very hard to get used to, since you can't cancel animations. But the main issue here is that they stole a game idea 1:1. This ain't silicon valley where big corps shamelessly steal every idea the other competitor has... and better not let them walk away with such a repulsive behaviour.

Last edited:

Zheph

Finished the radiance ending and I had a blast, cleaning up as much as I can before starting on NG0 for another ending.
I ran a STR/INF build and it was pretty good. I wish they could have cut some of the early exploits because most of the time you get invaders that are fine to deal with but you have the occassional idiot who duplicated the shit out of skulls and have maxed stats everywhere. I barely do any damage to them and they drop heavy numbers so easily, its a bit frustrating

Bartski

Gold Member
Finished the radiance ending and I had a blast, cleaning up as much as I can before starting on NG0 for another ending.
I ran a STR/INF build and it was pretty good. I wish they could have cut some of the early exploits because most of the time you get invaders that are fine to deal with but you have the occassional idiot who duplicated the shit out of skulls and have maxed stats everywhere. I barely do any damage to them and they drop heavy numbers so easily, its a bit frustrating
Yeah about that. I'm not sure how level scaling works in PvP (doesn't?) but I'm absolutely dominating with my current radiance build, at around 250+ hands.

I say this because I'm usually absolutely shit at PvP, in Elden Ring I don't even see the point trying, it's embarrassing.

Maybe I'm so lucky invading low-level players? I've had 2 vs 1 I completely demolished with a simple spell combo and great sword spamming. I think they will move on to tweaking it as soon as they fix bigger issues in single-player.

Zheph

Yeah about that. I'm not sure how level scaling works in PvP (doesn't?) but I'm absolutely dominating with my current radiance build, at around 250+ hands.

I say this because I'm usually absolutely shit at PvP, in Elden Ring I don't even see the point trying, it's embarrassing.

Maybe I'm so lucky invading low-level players? I've had 2 vs 1 I completely demolished with a simple spell combo and great sword spamming. I think they will move on to tweaking it as soon as they fix bigger issues in single-player.
Those radiant spells does it hard but what puzzle me is how little damage I do when I manage to get to some with my big sword +10 at lvl 130~

It wouldn't be a big surprise that the PvP scaling is a bit messy but I had some really fun encounters overall

Bartski

Gold Member
Those radiant spells does it hard but what puzzle me is how little damage I do when I manage to get to some with my big sword +10 at lvl 130~

It wouldn't be a big surprise that the PvP scaling is a bit messy but I had some really fun encounters overall
Wow. I'm level 80, posture damage on radiant pendant, buffing with aura of tenacity + radiant weapon, hit the opponent with orious judgement (I've noticed it gets people disorientated AF) and just rush in, ravager gregory's sword +10.
9/10 cases it's a win.

Zheph

Wow. I'm level 80, posture damage on radiant pendant, buffing with aura of tenacity + radiant weapon, hit the opponent with orious judgement (I've noticed it gets people disorientated AF) and just rush in, ravager gregory's sword +10.
9/10 cases it's a win.
I think that's fine I had fair fights against radiant builds before
Pretty sure I ran into some people who did the leveling exploits

Bartski

Gold Member
LOTF-roadmap-(1).png

so the mob density has already been reduced. Honestly looking forward to those updates, especially whatever is called "inventory expansion" I'm hoping for loadouts and a system to view sets. Anything to sort the mess that it is now

I'd put the game down for a bit after getting stuck on Hushed Saint. Picked it back up this morning and beat him on my first try. Dunno if it was a balance patch or if I just needed the time off lol.

welshrat

How is this game currently on PS5 in performance mode ? I am tempted by it as nearly finished Lies of P (Brilliant Game) but I wont play at 30fps so just wondered if the patches had improved things at all ?

Zheph

How is this game currently on PS5 in performance mode ? I am tempted by it as nearly finished Lies of P (Brilliant Game) but I wont play at 30fps so just wondered if the patches had improved things at all ?
I would say its fairly solid right now but I am not the most demanding gamer out there

I'm starting to get annoyed by some of the level design in this games 4th area ...the one where there's lightning happening in background. The camera + enemy tracking + fighting in small spaces and near ledges ...wtf man

The game is currently on sale for about 50 bucks on PSN. My only real concern is the performance, but if it's much better and stays at 60fps I'll jump in.

A few hours in on the PS5 version, and it's running fine for me. No real issues at all as far as performance goes. I don't know what the hell I'm doing or what my goal is gameplay wise (I chose pyromancy), but it's running smoothly.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
So, what's the consensus on this one after patches? Is it as great as the Dark Souls series or just an ordinary souls-like game?

Lokaum D+

So, what's the consensus on this one after patches? Is it as great as the Dark Souls series or just an ordinary souls-like game?
its not even better than Mortal Shell imo, imagine great as Dark Souls, geez, to be fair the ONLY thing that LotF does good is the interconected world and graphics , aside from that game has garbage tier gameplay, wirting, sound effects, music and bosses.

The closest thing to a Froms game that we got this year is Lies of P, that is actually better than DS2.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
its not even better than Immortal Shell. game has garbage tier gameplay, wirting, sound effects, music and bosses.
Oh, that's not good. My initial impression was that it's a high-budget Mortal Shell, so managing to be worse than that is quite interesting

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Imo, Mortal Shell was awful in everything but art design. LotF is better than Mortal Shell in every aspect.
The gameplay seems to be the biggest issue in both games. I'll stick with Lies of P and wait for the Elden Ring DLC then. If it comes to Game Pass with improvements, I might give it another try. Thanks.

kingsamj

I'm liking this game fine. Nearly finished it last night. I'm playing on PS5 in perf mode and the performance is hit and miss. Sometimes it runs at a solid 60, sometimes much much worse. That can be rough on the gameplay.

Enemy designs are pretty limited, and they do a lot of "gotcha" enemy placement. The surprise placements are not particularly creative, though. Just dudes hiding behind crates all over the game. I haven't had issues with enemy density, so I think the problems people had at launch have been patched.

Bosses are okay for the most part. A few are good but even on the good ones the performance issues make it somewhat frustrating to play. Also the bosses are across the board easier than the souls games, which I am fine with but might bother others.

Visually the game has some environments that look fantastic.

Overall it feels solid though not particularly remarkable.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's so bad about Mortal Shell? I've downloaded it but I'm yet to play it.
I didn’t like hardening for your defense and the level design felt like scraps from the first Dark Souls. I didn’t like how they handled upgrades. It might impress some people, but it didn’t catch on with me. I was also bored by the level design. I went into it with high hopes and ended up uninstalling it. I liked Ashen more than Mortal Shell.
its not even better than Mortal Shell imo, imagine great as Dark Souls, geez, to be fair the ONLY thing that LotF does good is the interconected world and graphics , aside from that game has garbage tier gameplay, wirting, sound effects, music and bosses.

The closest thing to a Froms game that we got this year is Lies of P, that is actually better than DS2.
I’d argue that Dragon Aerie was top tier. Pinocchio cannot change my mind. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom