• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louisiana governor issues order banning LGBT discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-louisiana-lgbt-discrimination-20160413-story.html

Gov. John Bel Edwards issued an executive order Wednesday banning discrimination in state government based on sexual orientation and gender identity. The Democratic governor also rescinded his Republican predecessor's order offering protections to people who oppose same-sex marriage.

Edwards' LGBT protection order prohibits state agencies, boards and contractors from harassment or discrimination based on race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, disability or age. State contracts will be required to include a similar anti-discrimination provision.

"We are fortunate enough to live in a state that is rich with diversity, and we are built on a foundation of unity and fairness for all of our citizens," the governor said in a statement. "We respect our fellow citizens for their beliefs, but we do not discriminate based on our disagreements."

Edwards' order comes as states across the country, particularly in the South, wrestle with "religious freedom" legislation and laws that critics have called discriminatory against the LGBT community. Supporters say they're trying to protect religious beliefs.

In Louisiana, the order includes an exemption for state contractors that are religious organizations. The provision affecting contractors takes effect July 1. The rest of the order starts immediately.

"While this executive order respects the religious beliefs of our people, it also signals to the rest of the country that discrimination is not a Louisiana value, but rather, that Louisiana is a state that is respective and inclusive of everyone around us," Edwards said.

Louisiana doesn't have a state law protecting the state's LGBT residents from discrimination, and efforts to enact such a law have failed. Shreveport and New Orleans have passed their own anti-discrimination ordinances.

Edwards' edict is similar to orders enacted by two former Louisiana Democratic governors — but he added language protecting against discrimination based on "gender identity," a provision that protects transgender people.

Matthew Patterson, managing director of LGBT rights organization Equality Louisiana, said the executive order is "the first time transgender people have ever had any degree of statewide legal protections in Louisiana."

The governor's office released statements of support from leaders of chambers of commerce in New Orleans and Shreveport.

"This action will help to solidify Louisiana's current reputation as a welcoming place for business and talent," said Michael Hecht, president and chief executive of Greater New Orleans Inc.

Edwards also terminated a religious objections executive order issued by former Gov. Bobby Jindal last year. That "Marriage and Conscience" order from Jindal prohibited state agencies under the governor's control from denying licenses, benefits, contracts or tax deductions to businesses and people that take actions because of a "religious belief that marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman."

When he was a state lawmaker last year, Edwards opposed Jindal-backed legislation that would have enacted similar provisions in state law. That bill failed amid opposition from business groups and LGBT advocates, so Jindal followed up with the order.

Edwards described Jindal's order as divisive and threatening to business growth.

"It goes against everything we stand for — unity, acceptance, and opportunity for all," he said.

I'm old enough to remember when people were accusing John Bel Edwards of being a DINO.

Good for him, but the title should probably mention that this only applies to state government employees.

LGBT individuals working in the private sector still have no protections under LA law.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"We'd love a shot at all that money that's about to leave those other states."

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Problem is that the clowns who sponsor these bills actually benefit when they fail. They maintain purity with their base and can drive voter engagement based on fear of a gay planet next administration.

Monocle

Won't somebody think of all the angry self-righteous straight people? Their booing and hooing over other people's relationships has got to amount to something.

In other news TOPS funding is only getting 38% of its annual funding meaning tuition costs skyrocket.

This governor is such a roller coaster of emotion for me.

Blackage

Pennydancing.gif

Great news. I just hope his eventual successor doesn't reverse his decision as well.

They absolutely 100% will, and probably run on that platform. Edwards is the first Democratic gov in years, it would not surprise me if he's a 1 term gov.

In other news TOPS funding is only getting 38% of its annual funding meaning tuition costs skyrocket.

This governor is such a roller coaster of emotion for me.

Aren't a lot of the budget issues going on in the state the result of Jindal being in office? Not sure what this current governor can do to erase the dysfunction in such a short time.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aren't a lot of the budget issues going on in the state the result of Jindal being in office? Not sure what this current governor can do to erase the dysfunction in such a short time.

It's a bit more complicated. iirc, TOPS is basically being using as a political chicken since it's so popular and neither side has blinked yet.

But yeah, the state budget issues can be traced very singularly to Jindal's administration.

Yeah it is definitely due to Jindal's tax cuts. My issue is how the state is going about handling the cut, applying retroactive rules to where a lot of people suddenly won't qualify when they've qualified for the last three years.

My tuition is going up and I'm grumpy because I'm a senior and that should start with incoming freshman.

Good for him, but the title should probably mention that this only applies to state government employees.

LGBT individuals working in the private sector still have no protections under LA law.

It actually also applies to most state contractors as well, and we're working on legislation for the private sector. We're running an Employment Nondiscrimination Act in both houses of the legislature - the House version is scheduled to be heard in committee on Tuesday.

jqNLffI.jpg

Problem is that the clowns who sponsor these bills actually benefit when they fail. They maintain purity with their base and can drive voter engagement based on fear of a gay planet next administration.

it's all about that 24/7 365 election cycle in american politics, they're just going to pound their chest how they voted "pure" in the next election cycle and get re-elected

this what happens when you don't have term limits

HUELEN10

Wait... I read the whole thing and the Govenor is NOT making an LGBT rights executive order, but rather an executive order that is anti-discrimination regardless of gender identity or orientation, which is a LOT more inclusive.

I applauded this move, as anti-LGBT discrimination and gay rights laws are simply not inclusive enough.

For example, did you know that out of all 50 states, only New York has asexuals as a protected class? A SINGLE state. That is outrageous.

This Govenor, if everything I read in the link is accurate, is doing it right by not excluding queers who aren't LGBT.

Great news for a state that often has so little. Now if only they will go ahead and legalize marijuana we can incarcerate slightly fewer people!

God it must be nice having a dem governor :(

I live in South Florida, which is one of the few mostly Democrat-leaning areas in the state. The last Democratic governor we had was Lawton Chiles before Jeb, and he died only about a month before he was going to leave office in 1998.

Unfortunately, the rest of Florida, particularly North Florida, is basically the Bible Belt apart from Orlando and Tampa, so we're gonna keep voting in Republican governors, even with Rick Scott being an asshole.

Zeke

I live in South Florida, which is one of the few mostly Democrat-leaning areas in the state. The last Democratic governor we had was Lawton Chiles before Jeb, and he died only about a month before he was going to leave office in 1998.

Unfortunately, the rest of Florida, particularly North Florida, is basically the Bible Belt apart from Orlando and Tampa, so we're gonna keep voting in Republican governors, even with Rick Scott being an asshole.
Our last dem governor left office in 95. Since then it's been dubya, Rick Perry and now Greg Abbott. Fun times :(

I don't get it, why do we not hear of pro-inclusion and anti-discrimination Republicans? I get the big star Republicans who have a lot more money riding on them from bible belt places or less educated people would skew what we think of to be pro-religion and screw everyone else. But surely not all Republicans are on that campaign, right?

Are there any states with Republicans that are more inclusive?

Wilsongt

I don't get it, why do we not hear of pro-inclusion and anti-discrimination Republicans? I get the big star Republicans who have a lot more money riding on them from bible belt places or less educated people would skew what we think of to be pro-religion and screw everyone else. But surely not all Republicans are on that campaign, right?

Uh.......................

Maryland? Maybe?

Honestly, Nikki Haley hasn't been TOO terrible to LGBT folks. Most of our shit here has come from a couple of Senators and the AG, who is Joe wilson's son.

slit

Pennsylvania just did the same thing. It's great news but it just too bad these laws only cover gov't workers though. It should be everybody.

Even in more progressive states those GOP Governors/legislators would risk facing a serious primary challenge from a Tea Party nutjob candidate if they embraced the liberal side of social issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom