• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LRG Sales Splits For Persona Game Releases Leak, Xbox Under 5K Units Across P3 and P4, LRG Can't Justify Xbox Releases Anymore

Xbox players are not buying collectors editions for a game available in Game Pass. Hurry, push some narrative !

If releasing RPGs on Xbox was such a train wreck, then why are there so many being released to begin with ? Give it a couple seconds of thoughts.

People are obsessed with physical (I personally prefer physical) but obviously digital sales exist...
I thought for a couple seconds and realized it's because MS pays them. It's not rocket science. JRPG's sell like shit on Xbox. There's a reason why Square Enix doesn't bother releasing Final Fantasy on Xbox, it's literally not worth it to them unless MS pays them an ungodly amount of money and MS has been pretty unwilling after FFXIII flopped on 360. It sold at a ratio of like 80:20 PS3 to 360 or something horrendous despite 360 actually having a larger installed base of console at the time.

The Xbox logos all over the Persona 3 Reload trailers are paid for by MS, having P3R on Gamepass Day 1 is paid for by MS, but guess what. 95%+ of actual sales of P3R will be on PS4/5. MS is paying for all this shit, Sega/Atlus aren't charities doing it for free.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Around here Xbox Series S is regularly said to be the most popular console for Xbox. It's not surprising that physical games don't sell to people who don't have a disc drive.

I guess that leaves you with Series X owners, who care about physical and think that a premium priced limited run edition is something they want.

And the game was on Gamepass.

And Xbox has a smaller install base.

It doesn't surprise me that lrg might struggle there.

xrnzaaas

Well all the answers are there - day 1 Game Pass + you need Series X or XONE + they're ports of older games that didn't originate on Xbox. You need to be a collector and on top of that specialize in acquiring Xbox games.

It’s just fact that at this point the whole XBOX business is just an add on and the main target is GP and some software sales (regardless if XBOX or PC). So I think it’s only a matter of time before Microsoft stops making consoles and offer their software or services on all platforms.
I am actual surprised that Microsoft is still trying to push XBOX, I think it costs them more to keep XBOX alive then just to stop it.

Mr.Phoenix

It’s just fact that at this point the whole XBOX business is just an add on and the main target is GP and some software sales (regardless if XBOX or PC). So I think it’s only a matter of time before Microsoft stops making consoles and offer their software or services on all platforms.
I am actual surprised that Microsoft is still trying to push XBOX, I think it costs them more to keep XBOX alive then just to stop it.
Thats unfortunate. Especially being that after over 5 years gamepass is still yet to show anywhere near the kinda growth it needs to show to be the only player in the Xbox gaming initiative.

Even if we assume that there are 40M gamepass ultimate subscribers who are for some reason paying $17 every month of the year. That still comes down to just $8B/year in total revenue.

There aren't 40M gamepass subscribers all paying for the most expensive gamepass tier and doing so every single month. Maybe it's time they stop looking at Phil as the savior of Xbox and start looking at him as a saboteur.

These games are on gamepass, why the heck would I spend $70+ on top of my GP sub to get it on an archaic dying physical format?

I guess enjoy the doom posting about Microsoft, but to my eyes they are investing toward a digital future that is obviously coming (arguably already here), rather than clinging to a declining physical format.

The data is clear, the trends are obvious. I don’t think Microsoft is losing any sleep over a less profitable physical market that only appeals to aging millennials.

Chastten

Banned
Actually you stopped thinking at the first second. Use the second one to ask yourself why do MS pay for such content.

Not the original poster but probably because they're trying to diversify their portfolio, much like they did in the early 360 days.

Right now, anyone who wants to play JRPG's or Japanese games in general needs either a PlayStation or a Switch, Xbox isn't even in the picture.

No idea how succesful that strategy is though, without a single exclusive their isn't a reason to dump PS/Switch and go XBox, and even if they do get exclusives, I doubt it'll be enough. In the end, getting Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata as (timed) exclusives on Xbox 360 didn't do much in the long term for them, once Sony fired all cylinders it was over for the 360.

What is this chicken sh8t thread. It's not even like the PS sales are stellar. And you'll have to be off your trolley to pay ove the odds for the game LRG when you play a collection of Atlus and Yakuza games on GanePass

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is basically a click bait fanboy thread. Oh no Xbox is doomed because a niche physical package of a game that is on Gamepass didn't sell much. Xbox has a small user base and a significant fraction of them enjoy their games on Gamepass. FFS Xbox is shutting down their physical game unit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This thread is bait. Just look at the developers and publishers releasing games on xbox. It's only increasing not decreasing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nothing is perfect in a free market, but I can tell you less competition is almost always worse for consumers.
Selling licensed products is not something that exists in a free market. Free markets do not have market power or significant barriers to entry such as trademarks, copyright, or licensing. Why anyone would use the term when there is so little competition is baffling. It is a heavily constrained market not some mythical ideal concept that only exists in a simplistic limit. It is a concept that only made sense centuries ago and was a gross simplification then as it is now.

spons

Gold Member
All three platforms seem kinda shitty in terms of sales. These are two massive games from a popular franchise, and they barely sell on the Switch, mind you a console that has sold over 130 million units.

We're literally 5 days away from Persona 3 Reload anyways, people can finally forget the disappointment that is Persona 3 Portable

Well they put a lot of effort in it, but I just don’t understand why they didn’t fix the biggest flaw (the dungeon design). Persona 5 was artsy so well received because it had handmade dungeons and not the computer generated ones.

I can’t imagine it would take so much additional effort to include handmade dungeons.

SomeGit

I really doubt gamepass had any major effect on those sales, I don’t think the market that cares deeply for LRG releases is the same as the market will not buy games if they are on GP.

LRG barely had any Xbox releases anyway.

Last edited:

SimTourist

Imagine how bad the average gamer's taste is and then realize xbox gamer's is less than that. Ain't nobody playing Persona on a damn xbox.

StereoVsn

A game with guns not selling on Xbox. That’s weird.

In all seriousness, it’s on GP so people would play it there.
Plus realistically I think most physical game collectors are in PS4/5, Switch, or both. Xbox put off physical collectors with their Games Anywhere strategy which didn’t put XS code on physical disks for most of first 3 years into the gen.

StereoVsn

Xbox players are not buying collectors editions for a game available in Game Pass. Hurry, push some narrative !

If releasing RPGs on Xbox was such a train wreck, then why are there so many being released to begin with ? Give it a couple seconds of thoughts.

People are obsessed with physical (I personally prefer physical) but obviously digital sales exist...
Mostly because MS pays the publishers, plus it’s not that bad to port games now days between PS4/5 and Xbox One/Series.

LakeOf9

All three platforms seem kinda shitty in terms of sales. These are two massive games from a popular franchise, and they barely sell on the Switch, mind you a console that has sold over 130 million units.
These are boutique, made to order physical copies for collectors, not mass market releases. The Switch and PS releases sold well with that considered

Shipping times vary depending on title and edition so it is hard to say they've improved. My P3 hasn't fulfilled but I ordered it with P4 so that's probably the hold up. My Alien Isolation and Trip World DX haven't shipped yet either and those are from May of 2023.
Yeah, that's the reason why. I'd have gotten Quake in the mail six months earlier if I didn't order it with Dusk.
As for Alien: Isolation, it's strange. I ordered mine from VideoGamesPlus and that got to me earlier than a lot of other people who ordered it from Limited Run.

Esppiral

A 20 year old game that has been playable even on toasters does not sell as a new release? Colour me surprised

StereoVsn

A 20 year old game that has been playable even on toasters does not sell as a new release? Colour me surprised
It sold pretty well on Switch and OKish (not great) on PS. This is not targeted at mass market but mostly physical media collectors.

It didn’t sell much on Xbox because it has much higher digital ratio and most physical game collectors avoided Xbox due to Play Anywhere issues.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, that's the reason why. I'd have gotten Quake in the mail six months earlier if I didn't order it with Dusk.
As for Alien: Isolation, it's strange. I ordered mine from VideoGamesPlus and that got to me earlier than a lot of other people who ordered it from Limited Run.

It's not just combined shipping though. Games they advertise later can jump the production line so to speak which is why we saw Castlevania so quickly. I'm assuming that was a larger production run.

LordCBH

Plus realistically I think most physical game collectors are in PS4/5, Switch, or both. Xbox put off physical collectors with their Games Anywhere strategy which didn’t put XS code on physical disks for most of first 3 years into the gen.

It was legitimately fucking frustrating when I bought a series X game (one piece odyssey I think it was) and it installed the Xbox One version and said “if you want the series X version instead it’ll be a 70GB download”. What a stupid braindead decision.

It's not just combined shipping though. Games they advertise later can jump the production line so to speak which is why we saw Castlevania so quickly. I'm assuming that was a larger production run.
That's probably it. I imagine Persona 3 and 4 were some of Limited Run's biggest releases and they wanted to make that priority #1 since those two games probably pulled in a lot of new customers.

StereoVsn

It was legitimately fucking frustrating when I bought a series X game (one piece odyssey I think it was) and it installed the Xbox One version and said “if you want the series X version instead it’ll be a 70GB download”. What a stupid braindead decision.
Yep, I bought couple of physical games and basically stopped since it was annoying as hell. Basically I mainly bought BC titles (physical if I could) and stuff like MCC and Forza.

MS dug their own grave between that and GamePass. They really should have had two versions of the disk.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

1. Making physical media for the XBox is sort of pointless at this point. Their most popular console doesn't have a disc drive, and future XBoxes likely won't have disc drives.
2. LRG sucks and I won't buy from there again. Most of the games I've bought from them in the past were damaged due to shitty packaging. Their shipping time is terrible and their customer service is even worse.

Killer8

Xbox players are just extremely high time preference individuals, who value being able to just play the game instantly on Game Pass instead of waiting for the LRG spergs to ship out their game over a year later.

Last edited:

Deerock71

2. LRG sucks and I won't buy from there again. Most of the games I've bought from them in the past were damaged due to shitty packaging. Their shipping time is terrible and their customer service is even worse.
I'm just gonna get their games in the after market. I'm going to be paying through the nose, but I won't be giving that woke BS any money.

Top Bottom