• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 10 Cloverfield Lane. SPOILERS

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The thing is for me, after such an intense escape sequence, I'm super receptive to a bit of camp. The ease with which Michelle dispatches a giant alien monster compared to John Goodman also serves as a point of comparison while reinforcing the movie's tagline, that real monsters come in all forms, and what she had to face in the bunker was way crazier than anything up top.

I thought the ending was fine. It was a bit over the top and I would've been happier with it if it was toned down.

What bugged me about the movie was that they had to make John Goodman a molester. It should have been enough to kill him for being a fascist. Him being a molester seemed like a cop out to make the audience more okay with what happened to him.

I think the problem with the ending is just how it affects the film's pacing. I didn't mind the ending the first time I watched it, but when I rewatched the film, that section was a drag to get through. Now, when I put it on, I usually shut the film off after Michelle escapes the bunker.

The problem is that alien fight is just tiring, especially on repeat viewings. It feels almost tacked-on (not story-wise, but pacing-wise. The best comparison I can think of would be if the LOTR movies had adapted the Scouring of the Shire at the end). Her escape from the bunker is a nail-biting sequence that always has my heart racing and puts me on the edge of my seat. It's basically the film's climax.

But then, you're almost immediately launched into another action scene that despite being grander, doesn't really have the same stakes as before, and really feels similar to what you had just seen (it's a really tense scene with Michelle coming close to death several times that ends with her surviving by thinking up a clever solution, like kicking over the acid or breaking the lock). It's why I understand why people say it feels tacked on. The climax of the film: escaping the bunker where almost the whole thing was set is over, and then the main character starts fighting aliens in a scene that also goes on for way too long. I don't think those weird dog things were needed; you could have just had the ship. You're already kind of burnt out from the bunker escape, and you're giving this action scene which just drags on.

Funnily enough, the film is produced by J.J. Abrams, and this is the exact same problem I had with his Mission Impossible 3. After the midpoint of the movie, the film just hops from setpiece to setpiece barely giving the audience any breathing room, to the point where I'm just exhausted before the end of the movie. I'm not blaming J.J. for it happening in 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I think it's a funny coincidence.

I honestly don't mean this as screaming "MISOGYNIST!" in your face, but I do believe (subconscious) prejudice is behind some of the complaints. I don't think people would have cared if Emmett had blown up the ship. MEW showed plenty of fight from the beginning; one of the first things she does is try to stab Goodman with a crutch! And what exactly does she do that's so unbelievable for a woman "with no combat or survival skills to do"? Make a Molotov cocktail? Throw something accurately? We just don't afford the same suspension of disbelief to a woman as to a man.

It would have been even worse if it was Emmett for not only the same reasons but worse because he wasnt the focus of the movie. What I meant is she is an average everyday person who miraculously avoids death. She didnt learn anything about the aliens to defeat them, she just lucked out every step of the way. Maybe it was done this way for runtimes sake? I dunno.

The execution of the ending just blows. Having the star just run around while they CGI in monsters for her to narrowly avoid is so tired. The real crux of it is the conflict between the tone and themes and it strikes a good balance up until the end for me that just left with a "wtf" feeling.

. She didnt learn anything about the aliens to defeat them, she just lucked out every step of the way.

Yes she did. the film shows it to us as she's learning it.

She notices the gas they're using is flammable. It's why she throws a molotov cocktail into the ship. She's pretty sure the gas they're using will ignite.

She's right.

The real crux of it is the conflict between the tone and themes and it strikes a good balance up until the end for me that just left with a "wtf" feeling.

What does this even mean? The ending is an extension of what's happening both tonally and thematically.

It seems like your split isn't on a tonal or thematic level, it's that you fundamentally disbelieve she could/should be able to defeat a spaceship.

"Why the fuck is this girl winning vs. an alien dog thing and its ship?"

That's it.

sn00zer

I thought it kind of insuated she was dying since the weird aliens showed up only after she took off her mask. Cool movie.

I think 'woman' scene is one of my favorite single scenes in film.

L00P

Yeah, I feel like the ending kind of turned it into a popcorn flick. It's like watching something like Bates Motel and then it suddenly turns into Independence Day. Kind of jarring, but overall I loved the movie.

She didnt learn anything about the aliens to defeat them, she just lucked out every step of the way.

In this clip of the ending, she notices that the gas is explosive, finds a lighter, makes a Molotov cocktail, and waits to throw it at the right moment. It's not luck, and it's been set up since the very beginning of the movie.

I wouldn't have wanted Emmett to participate in the ending (it bummed me out that he died like that, but it wasn't his story and it was a great movie moment), but if he had, I don't think audiences would be critical that he was an just an "average everyday person." "How does this Tom Cruise fellow survive? He's just an ordinary joe!"

It seems like your split isn't on a tonal or thematic level, it's that you fundamentally disbelieve she could/should be able to defeat a spaceship.

"Why the fuck is this girl winning vs. an alien dog thing and its ship?"

That's it.

Everybody who dislikes the ending is sexist..got it.

clemenx

Banned
I personally loved how Goodman was both a crazy asshole kidnapper and absolutely right about the bunker. That made the movie for me.

The atmosphere was incredible throughout the whole time in the bunker. I really liked how it was obvious something was up outside, but Goodman's acting and the ambiguity of Howard's "daughter" (or maybe it wasn't ambiguous at all and he did kidnap the other girl, which would be pretty cool as well) really kept me on my toes. The ending matched up with Michelle's character development and wasn't really that much of a stretch compared to how she escaped the bunker imo. It was still a pretty drastic change going from there to "aliens!!!!" but I still loved the movie overall.

I thought the ending was fine. It was a bit over the top and I would've been happier with it if it was toned down.

What bugged me about the movie was that they had to make John Goodman a molester. It should have been enough to kill him for being a fascist. Him being a molester seemed like a cop out to make the audience more okay with what happened to him.

Wait, I don't think he was a molester. He was a kidnapper. But he never touched her (after that). That scene where he couldn't guess the word "woman" made it pretty clear he thought of her as a little girl. Not that people don't molest girls, but it seemed to me that his view of her was completely devoid of sexual perception.

And personally, I loved the ending. I'd never seen Cloverfield (I have now, it sucked), so I didn't know what might be going on up above. The flip-flopping was very effective: does she need the gas mask? Does she not? Her realizing she didn't felt like vindication, since I was all but certain that was the case. Then the snap back in the other direction...just crazy.

The movie is amazing from start to finish.

The notion it should've ended as soon as Michelle escapes the bunker is as bone-headingly tone deaf as the suggestion A.I. needed to fade to black with David at the bottom of the Hudson.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We just watched this a couple of nights ago, great film.

I don't know if that's the case especially given the marketing of the film framed it as a type of thriller. I think that the ending was designed to add a twist to the whole thing. Goodman's character kept telling them that it's not safe out there, and you as the audience are supposed to think "this guy's clearly unhinged and is trying to trick these people into staying with him", but over time it turns out that he's right. The film doesn't really do anything with it though. It's just left there for you to say "woah turns out he was right" but are you supposed to feel bad for the survivor? are you supposed to feel bad for Goodman's character? Its message doesn't even make sense.

For over an hour you're lead to believe that isolation has driven a man insane, but then you learn that he's actually not doing what he's doing because he's crazy, but then you don't feel bad for the girl because she survives in a spectacular fashion, destroying the idea of her being vulnerable and what could have possibly been a depressing, but more logical ending.

No, the whole point of Goodman's character is that he's a psychopath who just happens to be right in terms of his doomsday bunker. He's clearly a kidnapper and murderer. Shooting the guy in the face and the vat of acid should have clued you in there.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
(that everyone goes to Ellen Ripley as their negative comparison, despite the fact Ellen Ripley was a fuckin warrant officer and not a trained marine doesn't really make any sense, either) 

Aren't warrant officers just enlisted men and women who obtain officer status outisde normal commission? I dont think they're considered less.

Shoeless

I liked the movie. I even liked the fact that it pulled the M. Night "What a twist!" of all twists by actually not being a twist. It made me cackle with the sheer audacity they had of giving us an extremely tense, suspense thriller with a bring-the-house-down performance by John Goodman, only to turn into an alien action movie.

As long as I don't think too deeply about it, it was incredibly entertaining.

Aren't warrant officers just enlisted men and women who obtain officer status outisde normal commission?

I don't think "Warrant Officer" on the Nostromo is a military rank at all.

She obviously doesn't know shit about guns/rifles, because Hicks has to teach her how to fire one in Aliens.

(nobody in the 30+ years since Aliens dropped seems all that weirded out that Ripley, after a single 5min training session from Hicks, who has never been in a serious firefight,can scotch tape a flamethrower to a pulse rifle and singlehandedly take out a full nest of xenomorphs by herself while toting a 40 pound kid on her hip)

I really like the ending because the whole time you're wondering if the stories he was telling about an invasion and the end of the world were actually true. This completely validated all of that and set it up so that she can be a resistance fighter which is really cool.

Yep.

At the end of the day it was a Cloverfield movie. It was obvious it was going to be tied to the original Cloverfield somehow. I found the ending setup more unanswered questions and created yet more mystery around the aliens in this and the creature in the first. I loved it. Will pay good money to see a follow-up.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
To this day it absolutely BAFFLES me that Goodman wasn't at least nominated for an academy award for best supporting actor. Simply and unbelievably baffling. Is he on their shitlist or something? His performance was nothing short of ASTONISHING!

Someone explain to me how a woman who created a hazmat suit out of shower curtains is somehow unqualified to ram something flammable in a bottle of alcohol and throw it into a hole 10 feet away.

Hit me, if you could.

(this isn't 90-95% a great movie. It's a great movie)

It's not that she's unqualified to make one, I'm just more skeptical of the idea of an alien space ship, designed to handle the impossible rigors of interstellar flight, being destroyed by one Molotov Cocktail. I mean, you can't even blow up a Ford Fiesta with one Molotov Cocktail. If Goodman's character had had explosives lying around that she whole or something (he was ex-military, right) that would have made more sense, but I'm not down with the idea that humanity was being laid low by aliens whose ships can be destroyed by gasoline and who's ground troops have the rough intelligence of dogs.

Kyuur

I loved the twist at the end and thought it worked well with the protagonist's character and development.

It's not that she's unqualified to make one, I'm just more skeptical of the idea of an alien space ship, designed to handle the impossible rigors of interstellar flight, being destroyed by one Molotov Cocktail. I mean, you can't even blow up a Ford Fiesta with one Molotov Cocktail. If Goodman's character had had explosives lying around that she whole or something (he was ex-military, right) that would have made more sense, but I'm not down with the idea that humanity was being laid low by aliens whose ships can be destroyed by gasoline and who's ground troops have the rough intelligence of dogs.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing like this was ever mentioned? We have no idea where these things came from.

gamz

I loved the twist at the end and thought it worked well with the protagonist's character and development.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing like this was ever mentioned? We have no idea where these things came from.

Where would a Spaceship come from? Area 51?

I mean, you can't even blow up a Ford Fiesta with one Molotov Cocktail.

What if the Ford Fiesta is filled with some sort of highly flammable fumigating gas that is pouring out of it at all times

What if I throw a molotov cocktail at that.

(also what if the ship you saw is a landing ship from an even bigger spacegoing craft that isn't intended to cross the vast reaches of space in any way but docked inside of some other, better built vessel)

gamz

What if the Ford Fiesta is filled with some sort of highly flammable fumigating gas that is pouring out of it at all times

What if I throw a molotov cocktail at that.

(also what if the ship you saw is a landing ship from an even bigger spacegoing craft that isn't intended to cross the vast reaches of space in any way but docked inside of some other, better built vessel)

I mean you can conjure up any scenario to make it fit, but you can see why this ending doesn't work for everyone. It's clearly designed for a big payoff for the masses. Nothing wrong with that and it kind of works, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

I mean you can conjure up any scenario to make it fit,

I know. It's really easy.

Which is why people having this hard of a time with it is interesting as hell.

I already said I get why people might be thrown on first view, and for the people who have been saying they have no problem with the idea behind the ending, they just didn't like how long it went on, or just the way it was shot edited, there's no real argument against that (which is why I'm not really addressing those criticisms)

But it's people who try to suggest there's some sort of logical failing at work, whether its the ships themselves, or the strength/ability of the woman who brought one down, that I'm addressing.

Kyuur

Where would a Spaceship come from? Area 51?

Sure, could be man-made. Could come from some crazy alien portal (given that the original Cloverfield is essentially a Kaiju movie). Could come from a larger mothership as poster above noted. Use your imagination!

Just seems weird to try and dismiss the scene based on head canon while ignoring the actual contents of the movie. They can not enjoy it and critique it based on what is actually there as others have.

Watched this for the first time when it hit Amazon and it fuckin' shook me bad

If Bobby had given me the iggy that this was the bomb I'd have seen it in theaters and it'd probably be Top 5 of that year for me

gamz

I already said I get why people might be thrown on first view, and for the people who have been saying they have no problem with the idea behind the ending, they just didn't like how long it went on, or just the way it was shot edited, there's no real argument against that (which is why I'm not really addressing those criticisms)

But it's people who try to suggest there's some sort of logical failing at work, whether its the ships themselves, or the strength/ability of the woman who brought one down, that I'm addressing.

I get that and agree. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the ending except from the silliness of the tone which was a tad off the rails from what came before it. I know why they took route, but I'd prefer a more subtle one.

aBarreras

Watched this for the first time when it hit Amazon and it fuckin' shook me bad

If Bobby had given me the iggy that this was the bomb I'd have seen it in theaters and it'd probably be Top 5 of that year for me

make sure to catch god particle on cinemas then :p

No, the technical issues are just an example of why I don't think it should have even been a thing. The ship should have swooped in the way it did, abducted her, and then used the same shot they used in the ending (panning over to the destroyed city). Then roll credits. I have plenty of issues with the ending, from the unnecessary action scenes to the last minute introduction and then defeat of a new antagonist, to the logistical complaints of how an alien invader that can be defeated with stuff you can find in your shed is destroying humanity. But all of that really just rolls around to the suggestion that it would have been a more tonally consistent ending if just ended with our protagonist moving one from bad situation to another, like an episode of the Twilight Zone, than any sort of heroics.

gamz

Sure, could be man-made. Could come from some crazy alien portal (given that the original Cloverfield is essentially a Kaiju movie). Could come from a larger mothership as poster above noted. Use your imagination!

Just seems weird to try and dismiss the scene based on head canon while ignoring the actual contents of the movie. They can not enjoy it and critique it based on what is actually there as others have.

If the movie wanted us to use our imagination the ending would have been different. Not much to think about as is.

The ship should have swooped in the way it did, abducted her, and then used the same shot they used in the ending (panning over to the destroyed city). Then roll credits.

That's a fucking terrible ending

Explain your work.

Then: explain how she isn't moving from one bad situation to another in the theatrical ending. (It's the POINT of the theatrical ending)

caliph95

That's a fucking terrible ending

Explain your work.

Then: explain how she isn't moving from one bad situation to another in the theatrical ending. (It's the POINT of the theatrical ending)
I would honestly keep the ending with the Radio for her Character development and skip the whole action scene with the alien dog and space ship.

But yeah putting her in another bad situation for a twist would be bad and invalidate the movie or at least her development

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I could of done without the ending. My feelings have almost nothing to do with her bringing down an alien space ship. I didn't want John Goodman to be justified. I liked the beats that made him more of a crazy prepper. "I told yalll, i told everyone but they didn't listen" Russell Cassed the shit out of it.

He wanted his "daughter/wife" and Emmett was not husband/John Goodman enough material for her anyway. why not meeeee He played it as everything would be so much better if "he hadn't fought his way in".

It kinda did feel like two different movies split at the end. Like it wasn't a Cloverfield thing before, and then they wanted more funding and said, hmmm how about this idea. Dan Trachtenberg said ughhh, okay. I really have no idea what Dan has to say on the ending and am super happy for what he has achieved since TRS.

I don't care about Cloverfield lore btw. I thought the original was dumb, ive watched it multiple times btw. So the fact that it wasn't a continuation of the store was fine by me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
pipebomb scene (or was it a Molotov cocktail?) had me burst into laughter in the theater, otherwise loved it

I would honestly keep the ending with the Radio for her Character development and skip the whole action scene with the alien dog and space ship.

Yeah, I could see an argument for her realizing there are aliens, and her deciding to go join up in Houston. I don't think it'd be as good/fun as the scramble, but you could cut out the alien interaction and still have her making the decision to fight and head into danger.

MikeDown

Banned
Loved the movie, felt the meat of it could have been drawn out a little more, being more subtle in the plot developments. The ending was a great twist, though I didn't quite like the way they went about it.

Pizza

Have y'all read up on the ARG? John Goodman had absolute proof when working with the military and then joined the whatever corporation after the events of cloverfield 1. His wife left him over his obsessions and he was so fucking right that he lost his mind and started kidnapping people to replace his family

It's fucked up, and I like that Michelle's character arc ends with fighting her kidnapper and being so confident that she also intelligently takes out an alien and decides to help other people fight

Fucking sick film, liked it waaaay more than the first

Top Bottom