• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alpha Protocol

zkylon

zkylewd
The world and characters of AP aren't as great as the C&C system. The IP is probably pretty worthless so they could just do Gamma Protocol and it'd probably sell just the same. I'd buy it.

edit: yeah, I'd miss Heck, but really, I'd rather they just made a new game than waste money on the IP.

wondermega

The world and characters of AP aren't as great as the C&C system. The IP is probably pretty worthless so they could just do Gamma Protocol and it'd probably sell just the same. I'd buy it.

edit: yeah, I'd miss Heck, but really, I'd rather they just made a new game than waste money on the IP.

It's absolutely gone. IP, style, theme, etc, you will not see it again so don't sweat it. This was an experiment during a generation where things out of the ordinary could be trifled with. For the most part, people did not want to pay (anywhere near) full price for it - no knock against the buyers, it just was not in the cards - and so the genre was a failure. Some gamers and devs will still remember AP, and similar experiences, to some degree, but answer with your wallets (up front) next time - as opposed to "i'll wait until it's <$ 10" because this will all you will see of it, flawed as it may be.

Not to sound like sour grapes, and there's always an upside to these things, but the market will always provide X versions of COD every year unless the marketplace spends their money elsewhere.

TaroYamada

It's absolutely gone. IP, style, theme, etc, you will not see it again so don't sweat it. This was an experiment during a generation where things out of the ordinary could be trifled with. For the most part, people did not want to pay (anywhere near) full price for it - no knock against the buyers, it just was not in the cards - and so the genre was a failure. Some gamers and devs will still remember AP, and similar experiences, to some degree, but answer with your wallets (up front) next time - as opposed to "i'll wait until it's <$ 10" because this will all you will see of it, flawed as it may be.

Not to sound like sour grapes, and there's always an upside to these things, but the market will always provide X versions of COD every year unless the marketplace spends their money elsewhere.

I actually disagree and think one of the reasons Sega priced it at the insane $2.49 price tag on steam for a few days was to increase awareness of this franchise. I think at the very least Sega working with Obsidian in the future isn't out of the question.

Patryn

I actually disagree and think one of the reasons Sega priced it at the insane $2.49 price tag on steam for a few days was to increase awareness of this franchise. I think at the very least Sega working with Obsidian in the future isn't out of the question.

Unfortunately, Sega has gone on the record as saying there will not be another Alpha Protocol.

tmarques

Finished it yesterday and liked it a lot despite its many glaring flaws. Kind of pissed because I played a mission that triggered the end of a segment and never had the chance to play other missions related to that safehouse. I'd play it again for that alone if my backlog wasn't so ridiculous.

BTW,
what happens if I manage to piss off both Scarlet and Mina and end up with no one to save my ass? Is the main character killed?

Loved everything except boss fights, was difficult the first few bosses as a stealth character. AP is definitely one of my favorite games on this gen, easily top 10. Sadly we'll never get another:(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I really need to sit down and crank a full run of this. Pretty sure when I was playing I hit the first safe house and for reasons unknown I seemingly forgot about playing it again.

I think my problem stems from having too many games to play and not enough time to do them in. Once I sort out my priorities, it's definitely one of the first to be played through proper because I enjoyed what little I had seen.

zkylon

zkylewd

True, that's why I bought it retail on the first week :) (which probably means shit since by the time AP reached Argentina it had already bombed)

Finished it yesterday and liked it a lot despite its many glaring flaws. Kind of pissed because I played a mission that triggered the end of a segment and never had the chance to play other missions related to that safehouse. I'd play it again for that alone if my backlog wasn't so ridiculous.

BTW,
what happens if I manage to piss off both Scarlet and Mina and end up with no one to save my ass? Is the main character killed?
Play it again. It's really worth it. I've beaten it like 5 times and you still find new stuff on each run.

And
I can't proper remember, but Mike doesn't die, that I'm sure. I think Scarlet tries to sell him out, but is then betrayed by Leland and they proceed to kill each other.

Grayman

speaking of the spoilers for the end game

SIE, Heck, and G22 can also be handlers for that last mission.

Or am I thinking of the wrong scenario?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A psycho Mike run is essential. Put a ton of points into shotgun, toughness and marital arts and brute force your way through levels. Kill everybody. Act like a dick. It's a blast, probably the best way to experience the game. Just don't forget the lumberjack beard.

Best ending:
Mike hands Leland a mine, boom.

sixghost

I think for a lot of people, they were just turned off by the initial impressions of the game. After the initial outrage died down, there was a decently sized group of people here on GAF with mostly positive things to say, which was why I eventually tried it. I would have bought it earlier if I knew what the game was actually like. From all the preview coverage it just seemed like an off-brand ME2, and the reviews made it sound like that with broken combat.

Tsukumo

Finshed two playthroughs, currently on my third. There will be a fourth down the line.
First time I rolled rifle, professional attitude, vow of chastity. Second time smart-ass, smg (Omg: the Smg) womanizer.
Loved the narrative. The amount of details and choices that the game keeps track of is mind-blowing.
Interacting with women is believable. I wish the girls in Mass Effect 2 would have been as receptive (or dismissive) to differents attitudes as this game's ones.
Marburg is a great character: much like Mindlog, I couldn't stop thinking at the Saren vs Shepard dialogues throughout every interaction I had with him.
Laughed my ass off at every single line Heck threw out.
If you play with the rifle the game is too easy, if you play with an smg is downright unfair and unpolished. Same goes for hand to hand: you waste bosses in a single combo, but you get your ass kicked by the average thug, soldier, bodyguard.
Voice acting is top-notch: much like New Vegas, the voice-work is soo good that it makes up for the lack of L.A Noire style of facial animation.
I don't think the game would deserve more than a 7 though: the gunplay and fighting gets too much in the way of enjoying the experience, and as much as the narrative is believable, grounded and pulls you into the story with each dialogue and each e-mail, the action itself is as glitchy, unbalanced and frustrating mess that breaks the spell every single time.
My problem with Obsidian is I feel like they are willingly posing themselves as the anti-type of the videogame market: with the entire industry going for graphics and dlc/pre-orders/online passes tricks, they push for a story-first type of production where you get everything you paid in one huge single shot.
Now the problem with this is if you just want to make a story, then dedicate yourself to books, movies or comic books. The great games are either action games with a narrative that fits into it (Bullestorm) or narrative games with properly designed (inter-)action (Alan Wake, Bioshock). For the narrative-addicted guys like me AP is for sure a blessing, but I can see why any reviewer would have a pretty hard time to sell a product like this to most gamers.

Kinyou

Unfortunately, Sega has gone on the record as saying there will not be another Alpha Protocol.
And what are the chances of Obsidian trying another Mass Effect-esque game? Just have someonelse overwatch and maybe polish the gameplay and it could be huge.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A psycho Mike run is essential. Put a ton of points into shotgun, toughness and marital arts and brute force your way through levels. Kill everybody. Act like a dick. It's a blast, probably the best way to experience the game. Just don't forget the lumberjack beard.

Best ending:
Mike hands Leland a mine, boom.

About to go through the game again on hard and Recruit, this will be my build God dammit.

Fantastic game, can't believe it got shit on so hard. Sure its a little buggy but it didn't tarnish my enjoyment of the scenario and dialog system. I also like the feeling of being overpowered when you near the endgame (yet bosses can still put you in your place).

The game also greatly satisfied my customization needs as far as mods for weaponry. Puts Mass Effect and all modern games to shame.

On my first playthrough I got the 'Steve' (oh no) Heck ending. Dudes awesome. His banter throughout the final mission was the best.

Good to see that I'm not the only one that lied this better than Deus Ex: HR

Feeling the same. Some parts of Deus Ex were more evocative for me but I prefer everything else about Alpha Protocol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
About to go through the game again on hard and Recruit, this will be my build God dammit.

Let me know how hard recruit goes. I went through on Recruit Easy and the game was a little too easy until you get to the helicopter bit at the end/Infilitrate Alpha Protocol.

Game was fun, if a little short. It has the trademark Obsidian Jank(TM), but for the first time I actually had fun with an Obsidian game. What the fuck is going on there!?

Kinda disappointing that you can see they were putting in save hooks or something for a sequel that'll never happen.

Let me know how hard recruit goes. I went through on Recruit Easy and the game was a little too easy until you get to the helicopter bit at the end/Infilitrate Alpha Protocol.

Game was fun, if a little short. It has the trademark Obsidian Jank(TM), but for the first time I actually had fun with an Obsidian game. What the fuck is going on there!?

Kinda disappointing that you can see they were putting in save hooks or something for a sequel that'll never happen.

Just played hard recruit. Hadnt touched the game since release. Pretty damn fun. Just focused on stealth and pistols. Tough at first but got real easy at the end.

Mitsurux

Just got two copies new off Amaozn (one for me one for the wife), then she order the stratagy guide off amazon, we have each been playing it a little each night, and have had COMPLETELY different experiences.... wild stuff.

THe combat can be both really fun and really frustrating.... at times it seem you blast though the enemies, then other times that have their way with you...

I think the combat might have been better if you could strafe better... (I think you can only strafe if actually firing you guns.. i might be wrong...)

One question for those who have beat the game... it there a "new Game+" sort of option to play again and keep building up your stats?

Also a funny side note: the New copys that Amazon set us, must have come from Best buy as the cover said "Exclusive Best Buy Weapons download inside"... the weapon download card stated that it had expired in 2010.. but the code still worked!!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah, the bump reminds me that I need to get back to my Big Boss run soon. Hardest difficulty, no killing, no alarms, and playing Mike as a humorless, no B.S. veteran. I love this game.

One question for those who have beat the game... it there a "new Game+" sort of option to play again and keep building up your stats?

Unfortunately, there is no new game+. It'll make you think there is, since you'll being acquiring items and money until the end of the last mission, but you'll never be able to use any of it which is kinda weird. However, if you select the Rookie option in the beginning and beat the game, you'll be able to select Veteran the next time around. As a Rookie, you'll start with less XP, but as a Vet you'll start with extra. It's not a major disadvantage or advantage either way, so I recommend going that route (too late for you, but for others). Both Rookie and Vet have the occasional unique dialog option which is cool.

Just got two copies new off Amaozn (one for me one for the wife), then she order the stratagy guide off amazon, we have each been playing it a little each night, and have had COMPLETELY different experiences.... wild stuff.

THe combat can be both really fun and really frustrating.... at times it seem you blast though the enemies, then other times that have their way with you...

I think the combat might have been better if you could strafe better... (I think you can only strafe if actually firing you guns.. i might be wrong...)

Also a funny side note: the New copys that Amazon set us, must have come from Best buy as the cover said "Exclusive Best Buy Weapons download inside"... the weapon download card stated that it had expired in 2010.. but the code still worked!!

No new game plus but you can unlock recruit and veteran "classes" to play in a new game.

Having just purchased, is Hard mode available at the start and if so, is it doable if I soley focus on Stealth and Pistols? Any other skills I should pay attention to as a beginner?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I just beat Alpha Protocol and thought about making a late to the party thread. Now I don't have to. Great game, and yeah, stealth + Pistols is pretty darn unstoppable. I also put in sabotage so I could remote hack. I was unstoppable invisible knockout machine. (No kills! woo. Not one orphan created.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
By the way, anyone who considers themselves a fan of AP's dialogue system should check out the Walking Dead game. Just like AP, it often tosses time sensitive choices at you, forcing you to make tough decisions fast. It's the most fun I've had interacting with characters since AP for sure.

Seda

Having just purchased, is Hard mode available at the start and if so, is it doable if I soley focus on Stealth and Pistols? Any other skills I should pay attention to as a beginner?

Hard mode is available. Hard mode plus Recruit class is the toughest settings (playing as recruit unlocks Veteran class for subsequent playthroughs, which gives you the most skill points to start.)

It's doable, just remember to jump from locale to locale and not focus on one location at a time. I would invest in the skills that make lockpicking and hacking easier too (I forget what they are called).

Yeah. I just did it as a recruit and it's totally doable. Some hard parts here and there but once you get those skills up its a breeze.

Recruit is available right from the start. No need to unlock.

I'd also like to note that the story works best with a recruit background.

Ahh, cool I wasn't sure. It had been forever since I first played the game.

And yeah, the story really did seem to work great as a recruit.

ced

Enjoyed it up till that boss in the disco (or restaurant, can't remember), fuck that guy, talk about ruining a game. You can't have a game that allows for stealth then throw a boss that requires heavy armor and gunning.

Patryn

Enjoyed it up till that boss in the disco (or restaurant, can't remember), fuck that guy, talk about ruining a game. You can't have a game that allows for stealth then throw a boss that requires heavy armor and gunning.

Let me guess: You did Moscow first, and just ran through that region without jumping around?

Seda

?

I've probably played this game 5 times with stealth and I've never had an issue with him. He's easy to avoid and when he's up up the stage (as in able to be hurt) just chain headshot him up to 6 times in the head.

What exactly is the point and/or advantage of jumping around from location to location? Will enemies respawn for additional XP? Can you travel all over the place at any time?

Great game. Loved it from the beginning till the end. Story, choices and my ending was the best, i loved it :) The controls where the only thing that were 'surprising' from time to time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The guy is saying that the boss sucks if you don't have chain shot or any weapon skills. My first time through the game I thought Melee + Stealth was a good idea and that boss was very difficult because of how resilient he is too melee.

Patryn

What exactly is the point and/or advantage of jumping around from location to location? Will enemies respawn for additional XP? Can you travel all over the place at any time?

You can travel all over the place at any time. Enemies do not respawn.

The advantage is that there are only a certain number of missions. By completing most (if not all) of the missions before attempting the region bosses, you will have access to far better skills than if you had simply plunged through a single region in one shot.

In addition, characters you meet in one region may offer help to you in another region. At least one region boss can be made easier if you have met a certain character in another region and pay for their aid.

The guy is saying that the boss sucks if you don't have chain shot or any weapon skills. My first time through the game I thought Melee + Stealth was a good idea and that boss was very difficult because of how resilient he is too melee.

Melee is just a bad option in general. It is easily the worst of the weapon skills, especially if you're going stealth, as you'll just be doing takedowns anyways that gain no benefit from the skill.

You can travel all over the place at any time. Enemies do not respawn.

The advantage is that there are only a certain number of missions. By completing most (if not all) of the missions before attempting the region bosses, you will have access to far better skills than if you had simply plunged through a single region in one shot.

In addition, characters you meet in one region may offer help to you in another region. At least one region boss can be made easier if you have met a certain character in another region and pay for their aid.

Melee is just a bad option in general. It is easily the worst of the weapon skills, especially if you're going stealth, as you'll just be doing takedowns anyways that gain no benefit from the skill.

So do you suggest I do a few in Taiwan, then leave and do a few in Rome then leave and do a few in Moscow etc?

AP doesn't get enough love IMO and people need to understand its an RPG not a TPS and the combat was what it was because of that.

AP needs a spiritual successor in the vein of what Bioshock is to System Shock. They could call it Omega Directive. Lets get this kickstarted ASAP!! :p

Seda

Let's say there are 5 missions in each of the 3 locales (there's more, but just to make things simple.)

Let's say the mission difficulty goes from 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 for those missions, with 5 being the hardest (like an area end boss) for each area.

Doesn't it make sense to finish most of the 1 2 and 3 difficultly missions in the areas first before tacking a 5 difficulty mission? (To get exp and more skills)

That's WAY oversimplifying it but the basic reason.

EDIT: You can pretty much leave an area at any time in between missions.

Khal_B

I loved this game so much. After I beat it, I thought to myself: "Imagine how awesome the sequel will be after they refine the gameplay mechanics a bit." Then I did some reading on GAF. Kickstart that shit damnit!

:(

Patryn

So do you suggest I do a few in Taiwan, then leave and do a few in Rome then leave and do a few in Moscow etc?

Exactly. Generally when you have an Alpha Protocol mission show up, you should probably jump region. You can tell it's an AP mission based on the mission icon.

One of the best games Ive ever played, made me buy anything Obsidian releases in the future.

That what you choose, like where to go first, changes how the story happenes completly, even making yo meet other characters along the way, just boggles mi mind, is so well done.

I've been playing the PC version of the game off-and-on and I like how the dialog trees work, the time limit you're given to decide and how the characters are portrayed. It's not a one-dimensional, jingoistic action-stealth game. We get to see both sides of the story, that maybe there's humanity in the heart of a terrorist.

The game did need more Q&A as it did have some glitches but for $2, $6 or whatever discounted price you paid for it, you will get your money's worth. At least how you answer your sub-ordinates, superiors and the enemy makes a difference, unlike Binary Domain's broken Trust system.

Mitsurux

Exactly. Generally when you have an Alpha Protocol mission show up, you should probably jump region. You can tell it's an AP mission based on the mission icon.

Thanks for the tip.. i was wondering the same thing as the other poster about switching locals...

I'm on the Alpha Protocal mission at moscow (after completeting Rome straight), so i think i'm going to do some missions in TP now..

stn

Really enjoyed AP! Once you get over the lack of polish you realize its a fantastic title. Its a shame it didn't sell well, its just my type of game.

Finishing up the tutorial and I'm really digging it already so far. I really like how you look kicking a door down and then pulling out your pistol automatically. Also the variety of takedown animations has been pretty surprising. Reminds me of the Arkham games. Controls are smooth, aiming with the critical reticules is a nice change and the music has the subtle quiet spy tone to it.

So far so cool.

Top Bottom