• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Breath of the Wild -Was this baby's first open world game?

daveonezero

Banned
Master Mode basically takes every enemy in the game and +1's their level, and the highest level is replaced with a new color. This pretty much means that for a long time you'll have to pick and choose your battles.
So basically, you'll be avoiding small enemies just like big ones. If nothing else, you'll learn how to fight, how to sneak, and how to run away.
I ended up starting and think I will go with this. Its making even just the plateau more of what I want out of the game. I just want to sneak around. Be an assassin, scavenge, cook and explore as I slowly get stronger.

I fought 2 blue's. Broke all my weapons and down 15 arrows. Damn Nintendo.

BotW's mechanics are all designed around exploration, looting, and combat. And while none of its mechanics are particularly NEW, it's one of the only games ive played that leverages them in a way that is always ACTUALLY in line with the main objective.

And in that way, BotW is absolutely revolutionary. The one thing that kills me about western Open World games is that the sandbox is always more fun than the main objective. There's usually a disconnect between the two, and most games have plots that don't allow them to overlap.

In BotW, sandboxing IS the main objective. Goofing/wondering around doesn't set you back, and progressing actively allows you to goof off and wonder around in new places.
This is a great way to put it. This game is so cohesive. Is there another game that you can see 4 or 5 of the "towers" in the same frame? I don't think so. The design of this world, the tools and systems are just so in sync.

I hate combat in this game so much. And only because of that shit weapon breaking.
You bring a whole truckload of sworda to a fucking moblin hideout, and you USE UP FUCKING ALL OF THEM.

that is so incredibly stupid.

I guess Buts its sort of like running out of mana or stamina and getting fucked in Dark Souls is the way I see it.
Its just using a different mechanic for its combat limits. Its about managing resources, skill and situation. Just in this case it is your weapon breaking instead of your stamina/mana bar being depleted.

I don't understand this criticism and it is one was concerned about but once you playit and learn the systems isn't really that annoying. Its more of a mindset. Good weapons are valuable. After a few hours you start to build up a solid inventory with individual uses and "junk" weapons to use when you see an opportunity to improve. That along with finding gear and you slowly improve. Replacing lower their items with newfound better ones.

Last edited:

_Ex_

It's a Zelda game, that means it's automatically overrated right out the gate due to pedigree. If this was any other franchise, this game would have received good reviews but not the BeSt GAMe EVAH! lemming fest we saw. Issues like the breaking weapons would have been chided on a lot harder.

bender

What time is it?
It's probably my favorite open world since Morrowind. I ended up doing just about every challenge dungeon before hitting up the main quest. The world feels hand crafted and has a ton of variety to its' locales (something the Elder Scrolls has lacked since Morrowind). I just loved the traversal and how every stamina upgrade mattered in my quest to scale the next peak. I also loved how the weather affected your character load out and your ability to climb. Finding Korok Seeds along the way was fun and rewarding to a point (I found enough to max out Link's Shield, Bow and Weapon storage) and I really appreciated the economy in the game mattering. I can understand the Ubisoft tower comparison but it was way less egregious. There were also side missions in the game that just gave you location descriptions and no map markers which is counter to how mission design in most open world games operates

There is plenty to complain about in the game (weapon durability, story/voice acting, lack of traditional dungeons) but I think they nailed what I'm looking for in an open world: variety, discovery and traversal. I'm not even 3D Zelda fan and I can't wait to see what this formula evolves into.

Tahj

I really wanted to love this game, but :/ Was my first Zelda game since The Legend of Zelda & The Adventure of Link back in NES days. I gave it about 15-20hrs. No arrow crafting, no remappable controls (save for the 'switch jump with [whatever]'), the durability system, & a few other things, whilst each not enormous annoyances, all added up to outweigh my moments of enjoyment.

On the plus side, I let my brother play when he visited recently. He was a gamer alongside me back in NES/SNES days, but unlike me hasn't been since. Well, he sat there for easily 12hrs straight, maybe got up once for a few minutes break. It's rare to see him having that much fun, & it made me real happy, so I'm getting him a Switch & my BotW will go on 'loan' to him :)

GeorgPrime

Banned
Yall, look.

This is THE most Zelda-feeling game i've played since the originals.....This game is a REAL Adventure, the game does not hold your hand for fucking anything.

1) start the game

2) You get the glider and all of your standard abilities in the first 2-3 hours

3) The game says "Ganon is right over here, you can see him from almost anywhere on the map. Go fight him LITERALLY whenever the fuck you want"

4) Do whatever you need to get strong enough, go fight him. You don't need any artifacts, you don't need any friends. You just need to be able to beat Ganon's ass. The progression is literally only locked by your actual ability to kill the final boss.

You don't even have to get the Master Sword, you literally have to go find it and work to obtain it. I probably had like 30 hours of playtime in before i even remembered that the Master Sword existed, and once i found it I didn't even have the prerequisites to get it because i prioritized stamina over hearts.

And then it literally does:

1. Visit those 100 copy and paste shrines that are boring as hell
2. Discover those great endboss temples which look all the same and are annoying as fuck
3. You dont like it? Have fun gathering those 100 Korok seeds that give you nothing but a troll reward.

So they combined the new freedom of Breath of the Wild with the most boring stuff out of Farcry New Dawn or Assasins Creed.

I critize those copy and paste boring development solutions in all open world games and it will not make Breath of the wild any better.

The best thing about Breath of the Wild was the Graphic, the enviroment (to play with all those aspects like gravity) and even the story was great (for me) but the rest was "Nah... dont care, dont want"

I dont have fun in exploring a open world... when there is literallly nothing to be excited about in 80 % of the world. One of the main reasons i stop caring about Fallout open worlds happens when i reached level cap and dont have any progress left from discovering the open world

They should have done more "Breath of the Wild" x "Witcher 3 Open World" instead of "Breath of the Wild" x "Generic open world design"

Last edited:

Business

• Lack of notable music, especially when roaming the open world

Should they play the epic Zelda theme on loop as you roam the world collecting herbs? In an open world you want just some light ambient music, just like RDR2 does for example, and BotW's piano is exquisite.

SGRU

Is a great game, I really liked it, but is not as good as some pretends it to be. Is not even in the top 20 of all times, at least for me.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I couldn't help but thinking it would have been much better in a more competent hardware. I just can't stand chasing an animal and it suddenly dissapears in front of me. And, yes, is a pretty repetitive game.

GHG

Should they play the epic Zelda theme on loop as you roam the world collecting herbs? In an open world you want just some light ambient music, just like RDR2 does for example, and BotW's piano is exquisite.

If you want to see how an open world game should do music then play Nier Automata.

If you can't because you only play Nintendo consoles then unlucky.

Terenty

Lol at people saying the game is cohesive, very well thought out etc. The games balance is as broken as it gets. I beat the game on master mode straight out of the gate and it was piss easy.

There is absolutely no incentive to fight any mobs on the map because they give you jack shit in return. If you are not autistic about getting all the armour types, all the different weapon types etc and just want to play the game naturally you will absolutely destroy every boss with weapons found in shrines and a guardian armour set. Maybe weapons found in the floating chests in the world too, but that's literally it.

The exploration is almost non existent for that reason alone. You wont find any tools by exploring, you wont find any artifact weaponry, you dont even need all this.

The world itself is painfully empty on interesting content too, its copy pasted to hell

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Lol at people saying the game is cohesive, very well thought out etc. The games balance is as broken as it gets. I beat the game on master mode straight out of the gate and it was piss easy.

There is absolutely no incentive to fight any mobs on the map because they give you jack shit in return. If you are not autistic about getting all the armour types, all the different weapon types etc and just want to play the game naturally you will absolutely destroy every boss with weapons found in shrines and a guardian armour set. Maybe weapons found in the floating chests in the world too, but that's literally it.

The exploration is almost non existent for that reason alone. You wont find any tools by exploring, you wont find any artifact weaponry, you dont even need all this.

The world itself is painfully empty on interesting content too, its copy pasted to hell

I absolutely love this game but you hit on a lot of good points. The regular enemies after a while its just best to run past them. Once you build up a cache of pretty good weapons you arent going to find good ones from fighting regular enemies, you are just going to break the good ones you already have. That and the lack of enemy variety were the big downers in this game. Luckily I had already fallen in love with the world (even if sparse) by that time so it didnt effect my enjoyment too much but I would say the last 30 to 40% of the game I just ran by mobs and only fought when I had to or when I wanted to.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
And people laughed at me, when I stated than every exlusives adds some points, because you cannot play it elsewhere, at least not officially. I haven't play it, because Switch in here is really expensive, but everything about it just seems that I would hate it. So I don't even bother Dolphin it.

Reactions: GHG

Shaqazooloo

I absolutely love this game but you hit on a lot of good points. The regular enemies after a while its just best to run past them. Once you build up a cache of pretty good weapons you arent going to find good ones from fighting regular enemies, you are just going to break the good ones you already have. That and the lack of enemy variety were the big downers in this game. Luckily I had already fallen in love with the world (even if sparse) by that time so it didnt effect my enjoyment too much but I would say the last 30 to 40% of the game I just ran by mobs and only fought when I had to or when I wanted to.
Enemies scale as you progress through the game so they end up giving better stuff as you defeat them. I find myself usually finding weapons on par or better than what I used to defeat enemies (I usually used my worse stuff for the scrubs) and the white ones dropped gems for sale.

I took out enemies quite often because I felt it was usually worth it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Enemies scale as you progress through the game so they end up giving better stuff as you defeat them. I find myself usually finding weapons on par or better than what I used to defeat enemies (I usually used my worse stuff for the scrubs) and the white ones dropped gems for sale.

I took out enemies quite often because I felt it was usually worth it.

I found really the best weapons came from shrines or Lyonells or whatever tehy were called. But the damage to your weapons to beat them wasnt always worth it. For me beating the same enemies over adn over just wasnt fun after a while.

LordKasual

Banned
And then it literally does:

1. Visit those 100 copy and paste shrines that are boring as hell
2. Discover those great endboss temples which look all the same and are annoying as fuck
3. You dont like it? Have fun gathering those 100 Korok seeds that give you nothing but a troll reward.

So they combined the new freedom of Breath of the Wild with the most boring stuff out of Farcry New Dawn or Assasins Creed.

I critize those copy and paste boring development solutions in all open world games and it will not make Breath of the wild any better.

The best thing about Breath of the Wild was the Graphic, the enviroment (to play with all those aspects like gravity) and even the story was great (for me) but the rest was "Nah... dont care, dont want"

I dont have fun in exploring a open world... when there is literallly nothing to be excited about in 80 % of the world. One of the main reasons i stop caring about Fallout open worlds happens when i reached level cap and dont have any progress left from discovering the open world

They should have done more "Breath of the Wild" x "Witcher 3 Open World" instead of "Breath of the Wild" x "Generic open world design"

1) None of the shrines are copy-paste. They're all different puzzles and some are pretty clever. They also double as teleport points. The combat ones are awesome though because you get to loot Ancient Weapons from them.

2) Endboss temples? You mean the divine beasts? You thought those all looked the same???

3) Korok seeds are used to expand your inventory space, which is one of the most useful things in the game due to the durability system. And you don't really have to "look" for them, i've literally never looked for any of them. I typically find them by mistake.

Yo have you even played this game?

Yeah you reach a point where fighting enemies is more trouble than worth, but generally i just do it for the challenge.

BotW's biggest improvement would be an increase in unique or powerful enemy types. This was my favorite thing about FFXV -- there was no shortage of big, powerful enemies that existed for no reason other than challenge / to unleash your arsenal on them.

The Lionels are strong but that's only one enemy type.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Let's not pretend like you can beat ganon, without really struggling, that early in the game.

If you do it as soon as you leave the plateau it's not that easy although yes it's doable, that's why it's there the option.

If you want more challenge try master mode.

kiphalfton

Enemy variety was awful. The devs just reused enemy character models and changed their color. Even the mini bosses were recycled.

Banned
1) None of the shrines are copy-paste. They're all different puzzles and some are pretty clever. They also double as teleport points. The combat ones are awesome though because you get to loot Ancient Weapons from them.

2) Endboss temples? You mean the divine beasts? You thought those all looked the same???

3) Korok seeds are used to expand your inventory space, which is one of the most useful things in the game due to the durability system. And you don't really have to "look" for them, i've literally never looked for any of them. I typically find them by mistake.

Yo have you even played this game?

Yeah you reach a point where fighting enemies is more trouble than worth, but generally i just do it for the challenge.

BotW's biggest improvement would be an increase in unique or powerful enemy types. This was my favorite thing about FFXV -- there was no shortage of big, powerful enemies that existed for no reason other than challenge / to unleash your arsenal on them.

The Lionels are strong but that's only one enemy type.

nah, much elements of the shrine pretty much pocy pasted, just change the layout a bit, add new puzzles and voila

this game felt like the shadow of the colossus mixed with the bad elements from tes oblivion with zelda skin

Grinchy

Banned
I had fun with it while I played, but when Nintendo fans throw out words like "revolutionary" you have to remind yourself that these are Nintendo fans.

Every game Nintendo puts out is the best game of all time to them. And you can't fault them too much bc they haven't played anything else :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tassletine

The main reason that it's held in high regard is they "gamed" the world much more than any open world game before. It's very hard to go a few moments without something to occupy your attention. That's one of the reasons the items break.

It also gives you far more freedom than most other open world games. Some people, myself included, dislike handholding in open world games, do that, do this, follow orders -- with sections that are locked until late game. That sort of thing goes against the whole point of open world games, that you are free to do what you want. Those games feel far more artificial.

And this game actually gives you systems, (wind, cool physics) to play around in that universe. Something more than just kill the bad guys and look for the next marker.
The gameplay is also very tight for an open world title, prior to this I think only MG5 had tight controls, every other open world game felt a bit stiff and compromised. This generally feels as solid as every other Nintendo title.

If you look at it purely from a critical level, you can see that it lifts from other games, but it refined a hell of a lot and solved a lot of problems those titles had.

And all that squeezed into 14gb of storage. I think it's pretty magical.

Top Bottom