• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Daigyakuten Saiban (or The Great Ace Attorney, or whatever you want to call it)

Boogiepop

So, I've actually had this sitting in my backlog for a bit, but I've finally squeezed in the time to kick this off, mainly because I didn't want to let it get too close to the English release of 6 or anything. Like I did with AAI2 back when I played that, I guess I'll do an LTTP that I update a few times as I go.

Right now I'm currently finished chapter 2, and I'm enjoying it so far. On a totally-unrelated-to-the-game note my Japanese has improved significantly since when I played AAI2, so things are going noticeably smoother, which is definitely nice. But yeah, really loving the music and overall style of the game, of course. Oh, and Meiji era Payne is every bit as glorious as I would've hoped.

Chapter 1 was a nice intro case, nothing too insane but certainly not bad, with some great animations throughout in particular.
Especially love the breakdown with all the little baby birds hopping around. Oh, and the steady push of the little baby back down the soldier's back. And if nothing else, the "oh, this evidence?" and then dropping the bottle was an amazing moment. And of course it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger-y note.

And then there was chapter 2, which I'm a little eh on, actually.
It starts off strong with the death of your buddy, but somehow the conclusion of it kind of sort of being an accident-ish thing based on a misunderstanding made it feel like a bit of a fizzle to me, especially when you add in the no courtroom aspect. And it really hurt that the "big twist" of the way the door was locked from the outside was shoved in your face so excessively, rather than letting it come as a big "aha!" moment. Still, Sherlock Holmes is neat, and different than I was expecting based on the zero information I had on the depiction here, outside of him being in the game. At the very least, I love the flare his "deduction" sequences seem to add to the investigation parts. Though yeah, I really, really hope the later chapters push you a LOT harder with the investigations, as this whole case felt super simple and largely telegraphed from a mile away. Still, the passing of the torch did have some oomph to it at least. Oh, and yay, learning to be an Ace Attorney in 40 days! That... may be a little ridiculous even for this series, with its plethora of young geniuses...

So yeah, aesthetically/thematically I'm loving the hell out of the game, though I'm feeling a little underwhelmed by the challenge of figuring out so far. Really hope it steps up the complexity and begins pushing me more soon.

Oh, and how's the DLC in this game? Anything as important as the bonus case from 5 that I should grab?

Edit: The rest of my impressions are below, and I've now beaten the game.

takoyaki

Oh, and how's the DLC in this game? Anything as important as the bonus case from 5 that I should grab?

There's no DLC case for this game, just a number of issues of the in-game magazine Randst. Never purchased them, but I think it's just smaller bonus content.

And the game is fantastic, probably my favorite in the series. Really liked the additions to the courtroom gameplay and the joint reasoning during crime scene investigations.

There's no DLC case for this game, just a number of issues of the in-game magazine Randst. Never purchased them, but I think it's just smaller bonus content.

And the game is fantastic, probably my favorite in the series. Really liked the additions to the courtroom gameplay and the joint reasoning during crime scene investigations.
Yes, waiter, some more salt to rub in my wound please

Boogiepop

Holy crap, just finished the third chapter, and
it pulled the end of AA2 twist of your culprit seemingly being the guilty party (though with a little less impact as he seemed kind of sketchy from the start)... but then he gets away with it and the damn crime scene gets burned down with someone still inside! Holy crap is that ever a cliffhanger! Oh, and the juror system thing is interesting, though it seems to almost be a bit of a plot tool/aesthetic tool rather than a gameplay system (there was that match up the contradicting statements part which was all well and good, but nothing too crazy.) And pulling the "actually tampering with evidence during the damn trial and the game actually playing on your memory of what you investigated" trick was an interesting one as well.

So yeah, definitely interested to keep going and see where this heads!

Boogiepop

And I've beaten the 4th chapter! It was definitely a solid case, and I enjoyed it. A slight shame that
you don't really have the "cornering the culprit->breakdown," which was also missing in chapters 2 and 3 due their setups. But I guess you at least got kind of a slight breakdown. It was still a solid, nice case, though. It's kind of awkward that there's not a single 2 day+ case yet, though. I'm hoping the final case will at least have that, though. Oh, and it kind of weirdly feels like the setup just got finished, and yet the final case is about to start. Kind of feels like there should be one more case squeezed in between, but oh well.

Anyway, now I just need to do the final case, which definitely has my attention with its title, to say the least!

Boogiepop

Beaten the game, now. The final chapter definitely nailed it, so that's cool. Kind of distracting that
there are no multiday trials at all,
but that's not a huge or especially worrying deal. The big thing, though
is that holy crap, the game has heavy sequel hooks, so they're presumably working on that! Which is really good, as I loved the setting and basic systems they laid out, and was thinking how I wished it was longer as I approached the end, so it looks like my wish will be granted! Sucks for the many fans who can't play this and likely won't get to play the sequel I am now expecting, though...
(Only spoilers in a VERY vague sense, for those curious. Just wanted to be safe).

Also, it's REALLY weird that
you run into that seemingly unique character(/model) who just kind of quotes Hamlet
in chapter 4. Would have thought that would lead to SOMETHING at least if they were going to put in that effort, but I guess it's just an oddity? Or maybe it's somehow a minor thing in the DLC? Not a big thing either way, though.

But yeah, I'd probably rank this in the upper portion of Ace Attorney games, but not quite at the top. It's got a lot going for it, but it still doesn't quite trust you enough to ratchet up the difficulty at times when it probably should, and the second chapter is pretty exceptionally poor, IMO, and it may be the worst one in the series in my mind.

Still a great game, though, and it's a shame that a lot of fans will miss out on it. Just not as big of a tragedy as AAI2 getting skipped, at least from my point of view.

Top Bottom