• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Fallout 3 (or why I made a huge mistake in playing this after New Vegas.)

I tried and tried to get into this, but after 25 hours of fits and starts, I gave up. Maybe if I would've played the PC version, I wouldn't felt somewhat differently. (never played New Vegas)

I loved it in 2008. But yeah after New Vegas came out and did everything better (I do like the radio in 3 a bit more though), I just can't go back to it. I even tried last week and got much further than any recent replay, but I just can't do it. Hopefully Bethesda paid a lot of attention to what Obsidian did.

Same here, spent an entire afternoon modding Fallout 3 to get it ready, played it for three hours and just lost the will to continue. It's one of my favorite games ever, with a lot of great memories attached to it, but I just can't replay it anymore.

Might try to revisit New Vegas, but I had the same thing happen to me with Skyrim and Mass Effect 2, recently. Two of my GOAT's, but I've played both so much that they can't hold my attention for long anymore.

Maybe I can try again once the well of new games dries up.

Hold the fuck on, if there's a discussion about the cheese in Fallout we need to have a talk the LARPing Slavers, the Legion. When NPCs were talking about the Legion had sounded intimidating and threatening, but then you meet Vulpes Inculta and his merry band; all that anticipation just faded away. Even after meeting Caesar, the Legion never became the threatening force NPCs had often proclaim to be.

Honestly, the most threatening force in both games are the Deathclaws. The ultimate mistake walking into Quarry Junction...

Anyways, I like both Fallout games and I hope for the best for Fallout 4

The legion is pretty hardcore. Did you see what they did to Nipton?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was bored out of my mind by Fallout 3. Such a poorly designed game. Another huge Bethesda world with nothing to do.

New Vegas, on the other hand, I loved. Precisely because there was some sort of design to propel you forward.

Almighty

Hold the fuck on, if there's a discussion about the cheese in Fallout we need to have a talk the LARPing Slavers, the Legion. When NPCs were talking about the Legion had sounded intimidating and threatening, but then you meet Vulpes Inculta and his merry band; all that anticipation just faded away. Even after meeting Caesar, the Legion never became the threatening force NPCs had often proclaim to be.

Honestly, the most threatening force in both games are the Deathclaws. The ultimate mistake walking into Quarry Junction...

Anyways, I like both Fallout games and I hope for the best for Fallout 4

To be fair to the Legion though every human group in both games are pushovers. Your character can pretty much be the Mojave Angel of Death and wipe out both the NCR and the Legion if you choose. The only human NPC I remember giving me somewhat of a challenge was Legate Lanius, which makes me wonder why Caesar didn't just send him in to wipe out the NCR.

NeonDelta

I loved fallout 3 but by the time NV had come out I had put so many hours into 3 I didn't feel like playing anymore, gave up on NV a few hours in and never went back to it

Fallout 3 bored the hell out of me. Other than the combat and VATS, nothing about it was particularly awful, but nothing about the game was any great. It was all ok at best.

Might just be my overall dislike of open world games though.

The legion is pretty hardcore. Did you see what they did to Nipton?

Yes, and the problem with them was their actions were scarier then the Legion itself. Again, when you make the walk through Nipton the atmosphere of dread it created was great, but once you talk to any of the legion NPCs they become kinda goofy. Their outifts certainly didn't help either, reinforcing the 'LARPing slavers' thing.

To be fair to the Legion though every human group in both games are pushovers. Your character can pretty much be the Mojave Angel of Death and wipe out both the NCR and the Legion if you chose. The only human NPC I remember giving me somewhat of a challenge was Legate Lanius, which makes me wonder why Caesar didn't just send him in to wipe out the NCR.

It's the unfortunate balance between gameplay and story. Like you said, when your character becomes the roaming apocalypse it kinda nulls certain aspects of the story and quests.

phyrlord

[*]The game suffers from that weird scaled leveling BS that was seen in TES: Oblivion. End-game enemies are scaled to always be bullet sponges long after you maxed your character and have the best gear. Some enemies were dishing and talking way too many damage for my tastes. Power armor is pretty much trash in this game because of this and how Bethesda implemented damage resistance and that super lame equipment condition system.

- Interesting, the last chunk of the game I played with fawks. He literally destroyed everything, no dmg sponges there.

[*]I made the mistake of playing Fallout 3 after sinking my teeth into New Vegas, so I noticed all of the unrefined gameplay elements that Obsidian Entertainment fixed. Stuff like the more valuable perks, weapon repairing, VATS, crafting, the improved skill system, weapon mods, and hardcore mode.

- I didn't really enjoy NV, I found the quests lines to be extremely convoluted. I didn't really know what I was actually supposed to be doing 90% of the time. To the point where something got so confused or messed to up I had to put a key in my inventory to finish the game. This was after a long search on the internet to actually figure out where I was in the story line.

daninthemix

Fallout 3 is an affirmation of why I play videogames, and I'm delighted at the success Bethesda enjoyed from it.

That said, I did get tired of the metro tunnels.

Forkball

I played it after NV as well and think NV is certainly the better game. Everyone says "FO3 has a better world" but those rubble mazes and subways were tiring. I think the struggle between Mr. House, the NCR, and the Legion is more interesting as well.

New Vegas also has more invisible walls and tries to force you along a certain path with with Fallout 3 it's much easier to just go wherever the hell you want. I enjoy the bigger freedom aspect of the game. Also it has a very poorly implemented karma system shoved in there along with a bad ammo crafting system. The world of NV is also much more barren and boring to explore than the DC area.

The invisible walls were annoying in NV, but I much prefer them to the way you're forced to use the metro in 3 to get around the city. Ammo crafting system wasn't "bad", and the karma system was pretty much just a leftover mechanic from 3, with faction reputation taking its place. And I personally found NV's world more interesting because a lot of the landmarks made logical sense, with a ton of backstory, and they felt less like a theme park attraction like in 3.

hidys

Without a doubt in my mind New Vegas is the better game in every concealable way.

But did I remember Fallout 3 pretty fondly and rather enjoyed it at the time. Having said that if you were to only play one of those games before 4 comes out make it New Vegas.

Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or shouldn't be trusted. Even if they personally preferred 3.

Is there actually anyone who prefers Fallout 3 who played New Vegas first?

Jyrii

Banned
The few major gripes I had were that the weapons and armor did not have much value and that you had to keep spares for repairs.

In F1 and F2 equipment cost quite a lot, so you had to make some choices. Like whether to buy a new hunting rifle and only have few bullets for it, or try to manage a quest with your lesser weapon

Other gripe I had was that F3 did not have many quests in towns (nor there were many towns). In F1, F2 and somewhat in New Vegas, many quests were about power struggles within towns, and you had to choose sides.

Astrates

I think I spent 5x the length of time on Fallout 3 and never played Mothership Zeta or Point Lookout. 64 hours to me seems like such a short amount of time.

The fun for me comes from exploring the world and all the random encounters and finds that come with it. I definitely think F3 had a better world for exploring but NV definitely has a better narrative and that's why I prefer F3.

I'll never forget coming across a door in what appeared to be a damaged bunker near the satellite stations at the top left of the map. I find this door and think it's going to be an elaborate installation leading to the tower network. I open it and inside is a wall with "FUCK YOU" in green paint. I wasn't even disappointed. The inclusions of that kind of fun discovery made it for me

The one thing I take from the Fallout 3 vs New Vegas comparison is that New Vegas added and changed a lot of things that I will expect to find in Fallout 4 to not be dissapointed with it.

Das_Blarthole

Neo Member
The Metro tunnels are pretty much the biggest downside to F3, as you rightly say it partitions the DC area far too much, some of it is good of course, but if you play Metro 2033 and Last Light, you get a feel for what could have been done with the Metro system in terms of more communities etc.

It took me a long time to actually complete Fallout 3, it was for a long time my back-burner game, and I also like New Vegas far more than Fallout 3

New Vegas never gripped me quite like Fallout 3 had. The opening sequence of Fallout 3 made me fall in love with my own character, for example, yet I could never create a character in New Vegas that I felt it was the "me" version of this other world.

New Vegas felt both more competent technically (which I expected completely given that it is a sequel and therefore never valued it much), but also the story lacked some heart, I guess. On Fallout 3 I felt like I was actually making a difference on this bleak horrible world (tho the ending only makes sense if you bump your head on the wall to cause brain damage enough to forget that your sacrifice was pointless).

New Vegas, I was like, just kind of agreeing or disagreeing with NPCs and then stuff happened, but nothing really made me feel bad... or good.

It's a while since I played both games, it's just what I remember. I think New Vegas tried to be too realistic in terms of scale/world building at times, for its own good. I remember the Boomer location barely had any NPCs in proportion to its scale. I just didn't enjoy the two minutes walks from unique character to unique character all the time. Maybe if it had some nice vistas but we're talking about Fallout. That location absolutely wasn't that bad, though. As already said, that RNC airport was probably one of the worst. I also remember the location with the Great Khans that basically had nothing to it, or that super mutant village.

Fallout 3 maybe didn't have many different clans/tribes that played an important role but I really liked Megaton, handful of unique characters and still compact. Rivet City was similar with all its merchants and unique characters. Then there was this location with Harold which was also very compact and actually beautiful to look at and therefore a great change of pace regarding that huge, dead open world. Little Lamplight comes to mind as well.

Playing New Vegas, it usually felt like the people behind it were more concerned about making the world look realistic instead of being fun to explore which never makes any sense when your engine and graphics is this outdated and when you have no access to a horse or vehicle to speed things up. Not saying Fallout 3 did a perfect job.

These were my problems with New Vegas and why I was never able to finish it despite trying 2-3 times. That and like others have said the Mojave Wasteland is just so boring and ugly. I don't think it is fair to act like its universally accepted that New Vegas is the better game. Depends on what your priorities are in a Fallout game.

...Also I love VATS...

Edit: That said, the DC area to an extent and DEFINITELY the tunnels are a major problem with the game.

Drazgul

Right

You know you can go inside all those caves, vaults and metro stations

Right

That's a thing you know

The Bethesda Fatigue is a very real thing, though. Usually for me it kicks in at around 100 hours or so. Probably a lot to do with the fact that sooner or later you inevitably turn into a demigod.

The early game hours when you're dirt poor, have to run away from fights and dig trash in the hopes of finding something decent are by the most fun I have in Bethesda games.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The Bethesda Fatigue is a very real thing, though. Usually for me it kicks in at around 100 hours or so. Probably a lot to do with the fact that sooner or later you inevitably turn into a demigod.

The early game hours when you're dirt poor, have to run away from fights and dig trash in the hopes of finding something decent are by the most fun I have in Bethesda games.

this is definitely true, but honestly, after 100 hours, i feel like I got my money worth and could probably just uninstall the game

RPGam3r

I love both 3 and NV, I think I may like 3 more based on its setting though. Also sniper rifles are just fine in 3 as long as you get the right perks. I only used sniper rifles, repeaters, and shotguns.

Drazgul

this is definitely true, but honestly, after 100 hours, i feel like I got my money worth and could probably just uninstall the game

Oh yeah, Bethesda's games are pretty much unrivaled in terms of bang for buck (except for maybe some strategy titles like Civ series or Paradox games, but they're in a different category of timesink altogether), especially since even after being bored with their games, I inevitably gravitate back after a few years and it'll feel completely fresh again.

I hated New Vegas because of the factions. Like you do a quest for the good guys and kill an enemy boss and get some powerful armour...then you can never wear it without the good guys attacking you. You'd have to kill a good guy boss to get his armour instead, but that screws you up with them..

So stupid, in FO3 the BoS never cared if I strolled in wearing Enclave armour.

Also NV having no random encounters made exploring a boring waste of time. Just follow quest markers for 60 hours.

woolley

The invisible walls were annoying in NV, but I much prefer them to the way you're forced to use the metro in 3 to get around the city. Ammo crafting system wasn't "bad", and the karma system was pretty much just a leftover mechanic from 3, with faction reputation taking its place. And I personally found NV's world more interesting because a lot of the landmarks made logical sense, with a ton of backstory, and they felt less like a theme park attraction like in 3.

With the metro in three you could mostly just not use them if you didn't want to because there is a whole world outside of the city, while with NV your almost forces along a certain path whether you want to do the main quest or not, which is really dumb for an open world game.

The karma system was still poorly implemented in NV. You could kill a convict and gain karma but loot their stuff afterwards and you lose karma. And with the faction reputation it was dumb, accidentally shoot one person and suddenly the whole faction in the whole desert hates you and sense your now kill on sight it's pretty much impossible to do anything about it so you lose that mission tree.

With the metro in three you could mostly just not use them if you didn't want to because there is a whole world outside of the city, while with NV your almost forces along a certain path whether you want to do the main quest or not, which is really dumb for an open world game.

The karma system was still poorly implemented in NV. You could kill a convict and gain karma but loot their stuff afterwards and you lose karma. And with the faction reputation it was dumb, accidentally shoot one person and suddenly the whole faction in the whole desert hates you and sense your now kill on sight it's pretty much impossible to do anything about it so you lose that mission tree.

How does the game force you along a certain path exactly? And you had to use the shitty metro system in 3 if you wanted to do the quests in that area.

Karma system was nonsensical in places, I agree with that. The reputation mechanic was done pretty well. Yes, shooting someone in a faction will result in that faction not liking you, how is that dumb? And I've killed NCR soldiers in a playthrough, and haven't been shot at on sight in other areas controlled by them unless my rep got really low.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
How does the game force you along a certain path exactly? And you had to use the shitty metro system in 3 if you wanted to do the quests in that area.

Karma system was nonsensical in places, I agree with that. The reputation mechanic was done pretty well. Yes, shooting someone in a faction will result in that faction not liking you, how is that dumb? And I've killed NCR soldiers in a playthrough, and haven't been shot at on sight in other areas controlled by them unless my rep got really low.

"I want choice but not choice thats detrimental to me" is how a lot of players feel about RPGs.

Regginator

while I agree that new vegas is superior to 3, it also had the karma system, looting, vats and some other stuff you are criticising. I think the only biggest thing that new vegas is superior in is the story line, but they're both very very similar.

while I agree that new vegas is superior to 3, it also had the karma system, looting, vats and some other stuff you are criticising. I think the only biggest thing that new vegas is superior in is the story line, but they're both very very similar.

TBF, the karma system in New Vegas is barely a factor. It affects one companion, and isn't really used for much else. Also VATS was less OP because you're not as durable when using it.

RPGam3r

Most players would probably consider the Death Claws a barrier that forced them to go a specific route.

Most players would probably consider the Death Claws a barrier that forced them to go a specific route.

Maybe, but I much prefer that to everything scaling to your level. And it's a good challenge for more experienced players to try and get past them early on instead of going the conventional way around.

RPGam3r

Maybe, but I much prefer that to everything scaling to your level. And it's a good challenge for more experienced players to try and get past them early on instead of going the conventional way around.

Agreed, I hope Fallout 4 has more situations like Witcher 3 where I run up on a ? and I'm never sure what level of enemy I'm about to face.

ElFly

That OP picture makes me remember the time I decided to deck the Megaton people with my extra armor I found during my adventures, abusing the reverse pickpocketing mechanic. It was funny to see everyone walking around in dumb enclave clothes.

What happens if you do the same in New Vegas? Do people start shooting each other if they see someone with clothes of the wrong faction?

fallout 3's world is great as exemplified by the supermarket that still has a stockpile of supplies in it 200 years after the bombs fell

and gore bags

My first PS3 game and the first game I'd played from the series and even of its type.
So yeah it's got FFVII status with me, I know it's not the absolute best but it will always hold a special place.

Sullichin

A Tale of Two Wastelands mod is the best, because you can use the Terrible Shotgun from FO3 in New Vegas.

It's the best of both worlds because it adds all of FO3 as an expansion to the mechanically superior NV. While I like a lot of the quests in NV and especially the improved dialogue / choices (you can lie to a lot of people), the atmosphere of FO3 still stands out to me way more.

So I still don't know if I just burned out on Fallout or what but I put many, many hours into 3; i'd consider it one of my favorite games ever. New Vegas I just never got as drawn into. I beat the main story once but I skipped a lot of the side content and mostly just mainlined it. I've tried to play it again probably 5+ times but no luck.

Jedi2016

I want to get into it, what with all the hype around FO4, and whatever Bethesda has to say tonight. I'll most likely pick up FO3 and NV during the Steam sale and play through them both before FO4 comes along.

A Tale of Two Wastelands mod is the best, because you can use the Terrible Shotgun from FO3 in New Vegas.

It's the best of both worlds because it adds all of FO3 as an expansion to the mechanically superior NV. While I like a lot of the quests in NV and especially the improved dialogue / choices (you can lie to a lot of people), the atmosphere of FO3 still stands out to me way more.

TTW looks incredibly interesting to me. But I think I'll wait and see with regards to mod compatibility before I install it for a future playthrough. Combining the main story of both games, along with the DLC and the quest mods, would make for a fucking gargantuan playtime. And probably a massively bloated save file too.

I'm assuming New Vegas only added to 3's gameplay mechanics and stuff, so would I be correct in saying that there's nothing lost in translation compared to playing 3 normally, aside from stuff like more durable super mutants due to NV's damage threshold system?

Ugh, Mothership Zeta was such a fucking bore.

Also, fuck those goddamn subway systems.

Besides that, it's a pretty rad game, save for all of Bethesda's standard technical jank. And their weird obsessive need to make sure every player can experience as much content as possible. Besides being a good guy or a douche, they really try to tailor the games to players being able to see as much of it as possible, and it always comes off as silly and immersion breaking. Oblivion did the same shit, and Skyrim to to a degree.

Remember in Morrowind when you could kill any NPC, including main quest NPCs, and doing so simply gave you a message informing you that you've doomed the world and all hope is lost? It let you go about your business doing whatever else you wanted, but you could totally fuck over any questline simply by killing NPCs involved in their progression. They even though to add a pretty well hidden secret backdoor for the main quest that you lets you complete it differently just in case you fuck it up the normal way, a method you can ALSO fuck yourself out of being able to complete. How rad is that? I loved that in New Vegas, entire sections of the game would change or get closed off based on choices. It actually made those choices meaningful.

I really hope Fallout 4 doesn't just try to lavish me and hold my hand through all of its content. Let me make some deep choices with impact (no, blowing up Nuketown didn't actually have any functional impact on that game's world) and fuck, let me kill any NPC I want to, even important ones voiced by famous actors.

BRING BACK REAL FREEDOM AND CHOICE.

Looks like I should play New Vegas. Only played 2, never touched 3 (and OP convinced me I shouldn't even bother) or anything afterwards. Pretty awesome when games can give such divergent experiences.

The problem with Fallout 3 is it's too easy.

I was gearing up for what I expected to be a major war at the end of the game but all the super-powerful weapons and ammo I amassed were never needed. The game just ends in a whimper and I found that very disappointing. No doubt mods would have improved things a lot but alas I never played F3 with mods, only vanilla.

That said it's still a great game, just had big wasted potential. Currently playing through a heavily modded New Vegas.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think I made a mistake playing New Vegas after Fallout 3. The improvements weren't enough to make me want to play more Fallout. I walked around for a few hours then just quit after getting bored mid game while shooting radscorpions with a submachine gun. I heard the story was better but I can only take so much wandering and shooting stuff with vatts.

I may have been less tired of fallout if there was a long gap between when I played both games but Nvidia broke Fallout 3 for like a year in their drivers at one point (if you wanted to play it you had to go back to an ancient driver set)

Looks like I should play New Vegas. Only played 2, never touched 3 (and OP convinced me I shouldn't even bother) or anything afterwards. Pretty awesome when games can give such divergent experiences.

MOjHgoA.gif

Despite the Legion side of the story being undercooked due to the game's short development schedule, the branching paths in the story make for a much more compelling narrative than "side with the Brotherhood and beat the evil Enclave before they take over all the water". I like how morally grey the factions are (the Legion less so), so you're given a reason to actually think about who to side with. Not to mention that you can kill pretty much anyone and anything in the game, and the one character you can't kill actually has a well-explained reason for his invulnerability beyond "this character is essential, pumping shotgun rounds into him will just render him unconscious".

SliChillax

Gameplay was so bad I simply couldn't enjoy the game and so were the visuals. I tried playing New Vegas but I got bored after half an hour of playing the game. The gameplay is just bad. Don't remember ever playing such unpolished games. I do appreciate the scale and the side quests but the game was not for me. I already pre ordered Fallout 4 because I really want to get into the game, love the atmosphere and setting.

Top Bottom