• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: FFXIV 2.0, good game, but this isn't the FF I was looking for (warning - long)

Bebpo

Banned
First, a little background. Where I grew up, and when I was about 10, there was a cool place called Wizardrome where you would drop kids off for a half-hour or couple of hours. At Wizardrome, you'd pay pay by the 30 mins and get access to a station with a TV and a console. The place was divided into like "SNES station, PC Engine station, Neo Geo station, etc..." For a 10 year old kid with a SNES who gets maybe a game a year, it was basically the best thing ever. It's where I was introduced to games like Bonk's Adventure and Dracula X, Neo-Geo games like Fatal Fury and Metal Slug. Then one day while there I tried a little game called Final Fantasy 2 (aka IV).

Starting FF2 I was blown away. Opening with an airship in a raid! The imperial march straight out of star wars. The story was gripping and the game was very cool. Later on I got my parents to rent the game from a local Blockbuster Video and marathoned through like 70% of it in those 3 days I got. It was just such a cool story-telling experience. Stuff like (yes, I'm going to spoiler tag FF4 for those that haven't played it)
The twins getting turned to stone; Cecil becoming a Paladin
etc...these were the Aerith moments for me that were doing things no other game was doing and defined FF as a cinematic story adventure to me. It wasn't until almost 20 years later when I finally got to finish the game and was still awesome and held surprises like
the moon

About a couple years after FF2 (IV) came out, FF3 (VI) came out and this time I got my parents to shell out the $80+ SNES games were back in the day and got it day 1. This one was even more epic and cinematic. Things like the Opera House scene or even the very introduction blew me away. Kefka was psycho and the World of Ruin was a really cool experience.

From there VII->X kept pushing the envelope further and further for exciting interesting rpg storytelling with cutting edge visuals, memorable characters, the best music and fun gameplay. I skipped XI because MMOs didn't seem like my kind of thing so even though I loved rpgs both western and Japanese, I never played an MMO. XII was cool but had problems as we all know and XIII kinda fell off.

For over a decade I've heard everyone rave about how FFXI and now FFXIV have the "best stories in FF" and are the most pure and best FF tales there is. When FFXV came out, I picked it up, but I was in the middle of some other stuff and by the time I actually played the first hour or so (which I liked), I see the article about how the game is unfinished and they're going to patch plot back in and redo chapters and since I'm not really about replaying a game I decided to shelve FFXV until 6-12 months when they're done patching and adding content and instead I'll finally try FFXIV.

Background Done; feel free to just start here if you don't care

So I try my very first MMO with FFXIV on December 12th and now (thanks in part to the holidays) 75 hours later, with a level 32-ish Ninja and level-31ish Paladin, about to face Titan, I've decided that for me FFXIV is a fun game to play, and I'm having a good time, yet for me it's totally not what I want out of an FF mainline game and I get SE's problem that "FF means something different to everyone" which makes it hard to make FF games for everyone.

For me an FF game is an exciting story adventure rpg, I don't even care about having cutting edge graphics, I just want a good story with interesting characters. I've really enjoyed some single player takes on the MMO idea like Xenoblade and FFXII. Xenoblade's plot had a slow start but was excellent and FFXII was really exciting for about half of it and then yeah. Yet here the story is just barely ok, 75 hours in it's never really been exciting, I've never been intrigued, I can't remember anything about the characters because they have nothing to them. I mean it's really poorly presented and paced and I can forgive that because I know ARR was done quick on a shoe-string budget and MMOs are paced slowly with a million quests to keep players subscribing. Again, I'm fine with that, I'm fine with no voice acting (Trails of the Sky/Cold Steel has minimal voice acting and still great story and characters), I'm fine with these things as long as the story and characters are engaging, but they are just are not in the slightest.

I've googled around and people seem to defend this by saying it's how MMO stories are and how they have to be because they are focused on a generic lead and the world can't change.

To me, this is bullshit. First off, there are lots of rpg series where your character is a silent protagonist and basically "the one" who gets dragged along and has no character of their own. This can be ok, it doesn't doesn't mean you can't tell an interesting and exciting story around your character. You do this by having great NPC characters frequently that essentially take the place of the main character. Also, here almost all the major story characters are instanced. They don't exist in the world outside of the cutscenes, so the writers are free to do whatever they want with them. There's no reason why they can't give them strong development and intrigue and epic moments. In fact, the biggest reason I think the defense that FFXIV's plot is bland and barely there (sounds like what I've heard about FFXV's plot tbh) is a bullshit excuse is the class quests within FFXIV.

The Class Quest Storylines are good and have real characters. Like I was playing the Rogue class and the questline right from the start introduced Captain Jacke, the memorable pirate swashbuckler and his pirate assassin crew upholding the Code, it introduced their rival adversary the Yellowjackets and their spunky little leader. Throughout the handful of quests it introduced a storyline that was interesting and even exciting with an antagonist group and high stakes and then had some major plot movement in the end. This was more interesting and likeable than everything in the main plot so far by miles. The class quests I've played from the other classes are similar, where it feels like the characters in the class quest are more developed and more interesting than any of the characters in the main plot that you see once every 10 hours and they say hi or something and then leave. There's no reason why the Scions can't have good development like the class quest characters throughout the main story, scenes specific to each major NPC where they have their rpg like moments and events and you learn more about them and see them grow. Instead the main storyline is like "can you help us beat down some primals? Ok, go here and do some quests and then fight Titan"; there's no excitement, there's no urgency, it's just the thinnest plot leading you from one town to another so you can quest around the area for a bit until you get to the next dungeon/trial.

One other difference is that the in the class quests, the important NPC characters not only frequently appear, but they're often with you in the missions talking and being actual characters. Why they feel like in the main story quest none major characters can tag along with you on the missions (even just as a guest, they don't even have to fight) and talk along the way and develop those characters is beyond me. Just something simple like having the Scions who are with you come along as you quest through their mission and talk and develop themselves as you do the missions would make such a difference in making these NPCs actual characters.

I've heard Heavensward is much, much better and that even by 2.5 ARR's writing gets better (I'll admit that the best quests I've experienced, the Rogue class questline was added in 2.4 so maybe they started improving their storytelling), but 2.0 ARR feels like it's only the FF you're looking for if what you're looking for is a modern day FF1 "go and follow a simple story with no characters that leads you from dungeon to dungeon fighting the bosses and getting the crystals and like FF2 there's an evil empire too". Yeah, FF originally was like that, but by FFIV the series changed and become a story-focused interesting adventure with memorable characters (FFV kinda being an exception since it was gameplay-focused). So are all the people raving about FFXIV and saying that stuff like FFXV or FFXIII isn't what they want out of FF, but FFXIV is, are they all just huge FF1-3 fans who want that era of simplicity again? Because I just find it hard to see how FFIV and beyond fans would think FFXIV is what FF means to them. To me even though I don't like XIII much, XIII and XV are exactly what I think of when I think FF. FFXV (since I haven't played much of it) looks basically like a cross between FF8 x FF12, which is very FF to me.

Anyhow, the gameplay is fun. As my first MMO, the multiplayer dungeons and guildheists are a blast and this is the fastest I've ever blown through any rpg since FFXII, so it definitely has me hooked. But I'm enjoying it as a gameplay game first, an sorta exploring game second (for a lot of reasons I don't really feel like the game has a great sense of exploration into the unknown like a lot of single player rpgs); but yeah the story does not satisfy me in an FF way at all, it's actually making me want to play FFXV because I feel like there was more character development between the main cast in the first 90 mins of FFXV I played than the 75 hours of FFXIV so far.

Also, totally aside, but leveling up a Conjurer from 1-15 last night to get my Paladin sucked hard. I'm playing the game as a single player rpg with matchmaking for dungeons/trials, but that was one of the spots where I wish I had friends in the game that could've helped me do fates/hunting log to get to 15 much faster :|

And the other thought I have is that there is nowhere near enough music. The city themes are great and there's some good tunes. But I think this is part of what keeps the exploration and world environments from being really memorable and amazing is the lack of good unique music tracks for each area. Like in Xenoblade, when you first go to that swamp early on and it becomes night and glowing and the music changes it's just one of the most amazing exploration experiences ever. Or in Xenoblade X when you get your first flying mech. FFXIV's world just feels a lot less memorable to me, although I do like it and I love how many towns and camps there are.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The original story isn't that great. I think it was around 2.3 it got more interesting. Heavensward has a really good story and characters, plus less filler quests.

Celeras

Banned
When making XIV 2.0 it was obvious they didn't have any original ideas. So they copied and bastardized GW2 events and slapped them around the map with fetch quests to fill in the gaps.The story is best experienced as a TLDR on YouTube and doesn't work in game at all because of this. Nobody wants to play games like that anymore.

This in contrary to FFXI, which held its own against WoW for years solely due to its original storytelling. Very disappointing.

jb1234

Yeah, I'm at level 23 and having a similar problem. The story is incredibly dry and often interrupted by rote fetch quests. Add to that a lack of memorable NPCs and I'm finding it hard to keep pushing myself through the game in the hopes it'll get better on that front.

(I do like the world building and lore. In that regard alone, it's leagues ahead of XV.)

Yeah, the early story is just not very compelling. It ends up becoming something amazing, but getting to that point is a test of patience. Worth it imo, but some people are going to have a hard time with it. You will end up caring about the Scions!

Kamitechi

ARR story is not that great, heavensward is where it's at.

Once you get to level 50 the game really opens up on the content and lore side. with the bahamut raid, although that could be diffcult if you don't know other people who can help you with that, or if you didn't grasp the raid mechanics of this game.

Level 60 is where the end game is for a while until stormblood.

When making XIV 2.0 it was obvious they didn't have any original ideas. So they copied and bastardized GW2 events and slapped them around the map with fetch quests to fill in the gaps.The story is best experienced as a TLDR on YouTube and doesn't work in game at all because of this. Nobody wants to play games like that anymore.

This in contrary to FFXI, which held its own against WoW for years solely due to its original storytelling. Very disappointing.

I don't know if I'd consider WoW's story "good" at any point in its lifetime and I love me some WoW. There's a scattering of good characters left assuming they don't retcon more of them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think that for certain genres, narrative structure and dedicated story and character is not the first priority in favor of the gameplay systems. From what i hear of Heavensward, it bucks this trend pretty well

Bebpo

Banned
ARR story is not that great, heavensward is where it's at.

Once you get to level 50 the game really opens up on the content and lore side. with the bahamut raid, although that could be diffcult if you don't know other people who can help you with that, or if you didn't grasp the raid mechanics of this game.

Level 60 is where the end game is for a while until stormblood.

About the Raid stuff, can I just matchmake with random people like I do for the dungeons?

Celeras

Banned
I don't know if I'd consider WoW's story "good" at any point in its lifetime and I love me some WoW. There's a scattering of good characters left assuming they don't retcon more of them.

Me either, I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I was referring to FFXI and said its storytelling was the reason it was able to carve out a niche in the WoW dominated market.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm kinda bummed I missed on out XI because it sounds like that has story & characters closer to what I'm looking for than XIV 2.0 (though Heavensward sounds better but that's far away still).

Remember when you walked right into the forcefield in turn 9 though

That was a good story. I still have that video.

Oh hey Aeana since you played DQX how is the story in that? Is it MMO paper thin like this or is it closer to the quality of a single player DQ story? I mean it's not like DQ has a ton of story, but it usually has good stories.

XIV is... passable I guess but giga overrated around these parts. That said I stopped playing right before I reached Heavensward content.

Then again who knows if the dastartly Gaf is trying to fool me again!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The story stuff you're looking for is toward the end of the ARR patch series along with Heavensward, where they focused more on story and meaningful quests.

Kamitechi

About the Raid stuff, can I just matchmake with random people like I do for the dungeons?

You can, wouldn't really recommend that, raiding is a bit more complex then a dungeon.

8-man level 50 content is pretty easy now and you can unsync (go with level 60 players in without level sync) and clear it, but some fights require you to at least learn the fight or else you can wipe the group at some phases.

level 60 raids are entirely different, those raids are mostly for static raid groups if you want to clear everthing

You also have the 24 man raids, they are pretty casual if you ask me, you can clear it easily with dungeon finder groups.

The 2.0 main story line is generic and bland and completely forgettable. I agree with you there. It's unfortunate that it takes up so much time.

BUT it's the stuff that comes after that that is so good! The Heavensward main story is the big star; the writing is leagues better, there are excellently fleshed out characters, even the way the story is structured has more of that "adventuring with a party" character that you get with classic single-player Final Fantasies. Especially since you've put in so much time getting through the 2.0 story, you've got to see it through to there to make what you've invested worthwhile. (It's funny how the very first main story quest after you beat the final dungeon in 2.0 immediately is more interesting story/character-wise than the entire first 50 levels of quests.)

And it's not even the main story quest, but also the other job/class quests get better in Heavensward. Even the freaking fishing job quests have a legitimate story complete with shocking plot twists. Plus there are level 50+ side questlines, such as the Hildebrand and postmoogle quests, that have interesting stories of their own. The Hildebrand quests in particular are high-tier comedy with the most amazing cutscenes.

So your judgement of what you've played is not wrong, but you haven't played what people really love Final Fantasy XIV for.

I'm level 17 and story stuff is slow but I'm enjoying what few characters I've seen so far. Y'shtola seems interesting and Merlwyb is bae.
Most of what's pushing me along right now is the amount of content available even from the beginning. I could spend hours and hours just crafting.

dlauv

FF stories were impressive as a kid, but they're kind of like trite children's VHS movies you could nab at a rental store. Which has a charming simplicity and nostalgia factor going for it. As an adult, I just like the agency the more jobby FF games offer and treat the stories as I would in most other games: completely skippable if not passively entertaining or disruptively egregious.

I feel like the writing in this game so far is pretty decent as far as dialogue goes, but it's far too loquacious for its own good interspersed with a lot of unimportant fetch quests. But I'm still early in the game. I hope that changes. I agree that the class questlines feel the best developed. But I don't see why they're considered as "the other" in terms of your experience with the storyline. It's a large part of your overall narrative experience with the game.

The Secret World is the best I've seen as far narrative presentation and MMO quest design is concerned.

Does anyone know if the regional storylines differ meaningfully, or do they converge after the three introductory dungeons?

MechaX

For me an FF game is an exciting story adventure rpg, I don't even care about having cutting edge graphics, I just want a good story with interesting characters. I've really enjoyed some single player takes on the MMO idea like Xenoblade and FFXII. Xenoblade's plot had a slow start but was excellent and FFXII was really exciting for about half of it and then yeah. Yet here the story is just barely ok, 75 hours in it's never really been exciting, I've never been intrigued, I can't remember anything about the characters because they have nothing to them. I mean it's really poorly presented and paced and I can forgive that because I know ARR was done quick on a shoe-string budget and MMOs are paced slowly with a million quests to keep players subscribing. Again, I'm fine with that, I'm fine with no voice acting (Trails of the Sky/Cold Steel has minimal voice acting and still great story and characters), I'm fine with these things as long as the story and characters are engaging, but they are just are not in the slightest.

I've googled around and people seem to defend this by saying it's how MMO stories are and how they have to be because they are focused on a generic lead and the world can't change.

To me, this is bullshit. First off, there are lots of rpg series where your character is a silent protagonist and basically "the one" who gets dragged along and has no character of their own. This can be ok, it doesn't doesn't mean you can't tell an interesting and exciting story around your character. You do this by having great NPC characters frequently that essentially take the place of the main character. Also, here almost all the major story characters are instanced. They don't exist in the world outside of the cutscenes, so the writers are free to do whatever they want with them. There's no reason why they can't give them strong development and intrigue and epic moments. In fact, the biggest reason I think the defense that FFXIV's plot is bland and barely there (sounds like what I've heard about FFXV's plot tbh) is a bullshit excuse is the class quests within FFXIV.

Well, I mean... the 2.xx story and HW do pretty much exactly this. For the most part, the world and characters react to your character's actions as the story progresses (that, and even though your MC is silent, that does not mean that your MC has no personality, as the Dark Knight quest will hauntingly reveal). The simple fact is that you're playing a work in progress that is unfortunately meant to be stretched across a long period of time, and that is an acquired taste. No MMO is immune to this, and a lot of the comparisons you see with FFXI is people comparing XI's subsequent expansions and scenarios to a game that only has one expansion under its belt.

I mean, where are you story-wise in th-

about to face Titan

... This explains everything, actually. Not trying to change your mind or anything, but I did want to add that the build up to Titan is actually one of the most criticized elements of 2.0 from a story and pacing perspective, if not the most criticized element ahead of how they decided to handle the last two main scenario dungeons.

213372bu

Banned
What I forgot to tell you was that 2.x is different from 2.0 when it comes to story.

2.X doesn't set itself up for a good story that follows clearly separate content, but it tries damn hard and 2.5 goes into HW finally executing what the team wanted to do.

Aeana

I'm kinda bummed I missed on out XI because it sounds like that has story & characters closer to what I'm looking for than XIV 2.0 (though Heavensward sounds better but that's far away still).

Oh hey Aeana since you played DQX how is the story in that? Is it MMO paper thin like this or is it closer to the quality of a single player DQ story? I mean it's not like DQ has a ton of story, but it usually has good stories.

DQ10 is very strong story-wise. It doesn't descend from the WoW school of MMO at all, either. It just feels like a Dragon Quest game that happens to be online.

Does anyone know if the regional storylines differ meaningfully, or do they converge after the three introductory dungeons?

The regional storylines converge after level 15.

... This explains everything, actually. Not trying to change your mind or anything, but I did want to add that the build up to Titan is actually one of the most criticized elements of 2.0 from a story and pacing perspective, if not the most criticized element ahead of how they decided to handle the last two main scenario dungeons.

Haha, yeah, the lead in to Titan is easily the weakest part of the entire game. They really went overboard on the worldwide wild goose chase there.

opoth

Banned
Timely thread for me, picked this up after getting a PS4 for Christmas from my wife. I played up to level 35 back on the PS3 pre-HW but hell if I remember how any of it works. I rolled an alt on Ultros just to relearn the basics and it's starting to come back to me.

Zakalwe

Banned
HW has much better storytelling, but the actual story is still MMO tier (even if it's at the top of the tier, it's still not great).

Kamitechi

See, now I'm worried because aside from when I'm forced to use the Duty Finder, I play alone. Are the raids required?

Nah,

Like I said, Bahamut raids are the only "hard" locked story raids, and they are quite easy with unsynced. they used to be the hardcore content back in ARR days.

they changed it in heavensward, and you have 2 raid tiers, Story and Savage.

Story is really easy and let's you enjoy the story, savage is for the "hardcore" players.

When I said the level 60 raids are for statics i meant the savage one, i'm used to raiding on only savage so I tend to forget a story mode exists on heavensward

ReaperXL7

I always wanted to dig into the story and lore but the people I used to play with would never let me watch the cutscenes since I was playing catch up. One of these days I'll have time to go and dig through all the lore I missed.

Kamitechi

I always wanted to dig into the story and lore but the people I used to play with would never let me watch the cutscenes since I was playing catch up. One of these days I'll have time to go and dig through all the lore I missed.

You have the book in the inn, it let's you view any cutscnee you have ever witnessed from all quests, optinioal and story

Kamitechi

No I know a about that, just feels weird going back to watch that stuff without that gameplay attached to any of it.

Get to level 60 and run it unsync, you are probably talking about the level 50 story dungeons.

although, i never really tried it, but on level 60 you are so strong, you can solo it anyway

Zomba13

The 2.0 (ARR) story is "good for an MMO" and enjoyable in spots (and a drag in others, like FUCKING CHEESE QUEST) but does more as an opening, a piece to set up this world and these characters and the struggles you can see on the horizons.

The 2.x (patches leading up to Heavensward) start to get actually good (even if there is some filler/MMO style stuff there) and reaches a gripping climax in 2.55 (which feeds directly into HW).

HW though, that is 100% classic FF. You are on a quest, you have a party, there is character development, twists, revelations, themes of racism and whether we should forgive the sins of the father. And the patch stuff post HW has been fantastic too, putting a nice cap on the Dragonsong war, having its own little arc ad then setting up stuff to lead into Stormblood.

As bad as it is to say, I really think you should tough it out. You are around the worst point of 2.0. The Titan stuff was just pure filler and doing it (or having just done it) I totally understand feeling burnt out and just done with the game (from a story and plot perspective). It's just horribly paced and frustrating as the payoff for the whole questline there just doesn't feel worth it at all when you have this rampaging Primal to deal with.

But seriously, it gets better. The 2.0 stuff from Titan onward is a lot better and I feel it has a good climax (good final dungeons, they are fun with lots of boss fights and the boss fights are fun. Try and do it with a group that will let you watch the cutscenes). But on the whole 2.0 is pretty good but maybe not up there with the better FF games but HW definitely is imo.

Oh, also, when you can, do the Dark Knight quests to lvl50. I know it means levelling up another job but that quest line is brilliant and very cathartic. If you don't want to level DRK then watch videos on youtube or something. It's great.

Qvoth

the later patches of 2.X story was great, and so was HW
generally job/class quests' story is good as well from what i've heard

Arkeband

Banned
As OP implies himself, the game dramatically improves after the 1-50 arc, which he's only three fifths of the way through.

There are a lot of legit criticisms of FFXIV but I feel like you haven't played enough to be giving us your life story and postmortem.

And the other thought I have is that there is nowhere near enough music. The city themes are great and there's some good tunes. But I think this is part of what keeps the exploration and world environments from being really memorable and amazing is the lack of good unique music tracks for each area. Like in Xenoblade, when you first go to that swamp early on and it becomes night and glowing and the music changes it's just one of the most amazing exploration experiences ever. Or in Xenoblade X when you get your first flying mech. FFXIV's world just feels a lot less memorable to me, although I do like it and I love how many towns and camps there are.

This is also something that improves as the game goes on. Different mounts get different songs, boss and dungeon themes become progressively more memorable, and the world music itself becomes even more excellent. One of my favorite Heavensward changes is that all of the new zones have different songs depending on whether it's day or night, as opposed to the 2.0 zones which tend to just go silent after dark.

jb1234

No, raids are completely optional.

Nah,

Like I said, Bahamut raids are the only "hard" locked story raids, and they are quite easy with unsynced. they used to be the hardcore content back in ARR days.

they changed it in heavensward, and you have 2 raid tiers, Story and Savage.

Story is really easy and let's you enjoy the story, savage is for the "hardcore" players.

When I said the level 60 raids are for statics i meant the savage one, i'm used to raiding on only savage so I tend to forget a story mode exists on heavensward

Okay, cool. :)

Yeah, this was an issue for me with the Ifrit fight. There's a cutscene in the middle which is two minutes long but I got the impression everyone else (all randoms) expected me to skip it because I got out of it and the battle was virtually over. Oops?

Ran rp

I'm a level ~15 archer right now. I'm enjoying the game but I know the fatigue is going to set in soon.

Gonna try to push through to get to the goods though!

Edit: which MSQ ends the 2.0 stuff?

PSY・S;227427644 said:
I'm a level ~15 archer right now. I'm enjoying the game but I know the fatigue is going to set in soon.

Gonna try to push through to get to the goods though!

Edit: which MSQ ends the 2.0 stuff?

The first 8 man dungeons are story related. That is when you know you're at the end of 2.0

Cmagus

ARR story takes a bit to get going and only gets better from the start. It gets off to a bit of a slow start but a big part of ARR is closing off the story from 1.0 so they have to deal with portions of that which they had to fit in there. Once that is out of the way and you complete the main story that it originally shipped with you then get into the first patches and the story improves vastly. I agree the fetch quests are boring though. If you want to get thorough the story faster you can always skip the cutscenes and rewatch them later on from the inn.

Also if you're only at Titan then you've barely touched the story or done anything really and I mean if you're 75 hours in and only have your ninja and paladin at 30 you must be wandering around or doing other things because that's a long time to hit 30 on the ninja and paladin.

I'd stick with it for awhile it does get better like everyone says and when you hit 50 you can do better content and side quests like Bahamut which all gives you a ton of story and lore and for an mmo the lore is pretty robust.

Also, totally aside, but leveling up a Conjurer from 1-15 last night to get my Paladin sucked hard. I'm playing the game as a single player rpg with matchmaking for dungeons/trials, but that was one of the spots where I wish I had friends in the game that could've helped me do fates/hunting log to get to 15 much faster :|

A good tip for leveling quickly early on is to do your hunting logs they provide a nice chunk of exp which helps level you pretty quickly. Also purchase some food from a vendor,market board or if you have a FC have someone make you some because some give off a +3% exp bonus and if you join a FC most usually have an additional exp bonus buff going. It makes going from 1-15 a breeze.

Are they generally any ways to help burn though the slog levels?

You just gotta do it, there is no way to avoid the initial grind of the original story unless you wait for the story skip potions coming. If you wanna break things up at 17 you can unlock the Palace of the Dead which is an alternative way to level quickly and work towards earning a level 60 weapon for your class when you finally reach 60.

Are they generally any ways to help burn though the slog levels?

Depends on which levels.

If your a dps, push the story all the way to the next dungeon or duty, then do all the quest chains in the area until it pips and you can move on.

You can also get to South shroud and do palace of the dead. It has accelerated leveling meaning you can try a class 50/60 by the 4th level. Afterward you get a ton of bonus xp for the class you went in as if it wasn't already level 60

If you're only at Titan then you haven't seen much of the story.

Most of the praise comes from stuff that happens later in ARR's storyline and pretty much the entirety of Heavensward.

When people say that FFXIV has a good story, they're working off of experience that you don't have right now. So if you want to understand why you need to play through the base game and through Heavensward which is the definite high point.

The story so far through level 26 hasn't been great. But I'll be honest, this feels like exactly what I was looking for in a Final Fantasy. The scale. The world-building. It's all there and I love it.

The story so far through level 26 hasn't been great. But I'll be honest, this feels like exactly what I was looking for in a Final Fantasy. The scale. The world-building. It's all there and I love it.

It kind of sucks that the game isn't Heavensward tier from the very beginning but trust that Yoship and co have improved things over time.

Dunan

The Heavensward main story is the big star; the writing is leagues better, there are excellently fleshed out characters, even the way the story is structured has more of that "adventuring with a party" character that you get with classic single-player Final Fantasies.

Came here to post this. After struggling with all the weird things that this game does that previous Square RPGs would never do (Lightning functions like Poison, huh? So we target enemies and only then choose the action, do we?), and slogging through a lot of filler in the later parts of the 2.x expansions, Heavensward was just amazing from beginning to end. Classic "member of a party" dynamics, beautiful music and locations, a fascinating society that brought back good memories (Ishgard looks like it was designed by expat architects from Narshe) and some delightfully-flavored writing, and you've got what could have stood up as a game all by itself. I hope that the 2.x quests are streamlined somehow because everyone should play 3.0.

As a huge long-time fan of FFXI, I must admit that FFXIV's world and story completely failed to pull me in. I'm not sure how many hours I put into it before I gave up. I've ranted several times before about all the reasons for my disinterest and the disparities between the two games, mostly in areas other people find favorable in FFXIV, so I'll just leave it at that.

Top Bottom