• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Game Center CX with Arino aka Retro Game Master, watch it!

watershed

Banned
The-Continuing-Retro-Game-Adventures-Of-The-King-Of-Lets-Plays.jpg

I've seen a few clips here and there of Game Center CX over the years on gaf, I distinctly remember the Iwata segment, but I never actually bothered to look into the show. Then I came across a discussion of Game Center CX on the Retronauts podcast ( found here: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=859 ) and decided to check it out for myself. The basic premise is Japanese comedian Shinya Arino is the "chief" and he must play retro games until the end screen. Sometimes there are other challenges as well. The wiki provides greater background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCenter_CX

Basically, its amazing. The most thrilling episodes are the live episodes where Arino and crew go to different cities (and countries) and play in front of a live audience. The fan following is hardcore and the cheering and audience reaction make the show 1000x better. The excitement is palpable in this segment when Arino tries to beat a helicopter level in Pilotwings in front of a live audience: https://youtu.be/MBQYzX6w8tU?t=33m12s

If you like video game shows or let's plays or retro games and you haven't checked this out yet, do yourself a favor and do so.

epmode

I generally don't enjoy let's play videos on Youtube but I've watched every single translated episode of GCCX. I love everyone involved with the project, translators included.

Speaking of which, I'm really hoping the fansubs pick up again!

Cess007

Game Center CX is fantastic. I haven't seen some of the latest episodes, but I love the show, Arino is fantastic as a host. My favorite episode is when he played a WiiU game with some kids and the kids were mocking him and when he won, he mocked back lol

PS. Cameraman Abe is also fantastic

TedHub

Banned
Such a good show!! The Kacho is so uplifting. SA-GCCX's subtitles are excellent, make sure to Google them and watch their versions if you're going to get into the show!

blamite

As good as the challenges are, it's the segment's like the game center visits and Ring Ring Tactics that really make me love the show. I just got to the season with the Xevious Observation Diary and it's such a simple but great idea.

The Korea trip episode is a favorite of mine too!

Wow! I absolutely love Arino and Game Center CX, everything about it so... so good. It's so nice! I introduced my girlfriend to it and she loves watching it. She not into gaming as much as I am, we only started watching the ones for the games she knew/liked. But now we're watching them in order and it feels it's been a great way to make her more into it!

Arino himself is also such a great guy. Even when he's spoiled and bratty he's so likeable

I'd honestly say that GGCX shows a lot what makes videogames great <3

watershed

Banned
Game Center CX is fantastic. I haven't seen some of the latest episodes, but I love the show, Arino is fantastic as a host. My favorite episode is when he played a WiiU game with some kids and the kids were mocking him and when he won, he mocked back lol

PS. Cameraman Abe is also fantastic

I was looking for that very episode with the kids but I couldn't find it on youtube.

I'd watch a lot more of it if I could find high quality subs for it :/
does he ever play N64 era games? I've only ever seen him play snes or before.

Ōkami

I'd watch a lot more of it if I could find high quality subs for it :/
does he ever play N64 era games? I've only ever seen him play snes or before.
He played Mario 64 and Ocarina.

Arino usually stops at the 16 era games, he's just played a handful of PS1 or N64 games.

But yeah, Arino's just a cool and funny guy. I watched a lot of it a while back. My favorite episode was the NES Remix episode, where he basically gets bullied by a bunch of little kids. It works, though, because Arino comes off as just a big kid himself.

My overall favorite segments were the ones where he just goes to some random arcade somewhere (probably at a viewer recommendation) and just plays whatever games he finds. Mostly games where he could win candy or some other souvenir, if I remember.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My heart still hurts over the fansubs being dead in the water. Nevertheless, I'll always be glad for the dozens and dozens of episodes that got subbed, and the work that must have represented. I always watch/rewatch a couple episodes before going to bed.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Does he work in a power plant? Funny outfit.

One of the recurring jokes is that he has a lowly rank in the hierarchy of the production crew despite being a celebrity, hence the jumpsuit. Early on, there used to be a gimmick where they'd promote or demote him based on how he played but they dropped that a while ago and he's been a "kacho" (middle manager) forever. (Iwata even makes a "shacho-kacho" quip when they exchange cards, shacho meaning president.)

To play off that further, the promotional series they do for Nintendo is called Game Center DX and stars "Executive Director" Masaru Hamaguchi, Arino's comedy partner, who exclusively plays new games in a high-rise office.

jholmes

I love this show, wish we'd get a new sub already. Or better yet some official licensing. Obviously this will always have a special place in my heart since I got some of the spotlight in the Mario Maker episode, but more people need to see it for sure.

Now the question back to you OP is have you played Retro Game Challenge?

Retro_Game_Challenge_Coverart.png

Top Bottom