• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: ICO

Vexidus

FootNinja said:
I love sotc and i want this game soo bad :(
i wonder if gamestop would still carry it and how much it would be nowadays.

Amazon.com has people selling it for around $30 shipped, ebay is always decent for older games as well.

Loved ICO. Was one of the first games I ever was truly amazed by. I've never quite been impressed by a game's graphics like I was with ICO. SOTC was an amazing game, the reason I re-bought a PS2 a couple years ago. I have to say, it has the most incredible sense of scale of any game I've played so far.

When I heard they were making a SOTC 2 a few years back, I pretty much decided that I had to have a PS3. Its 2 years later, and I'm waiting for some non-BS news on SOTC 2.

FootNinja said:
I love sotc and i want this game soo bad :(
i wonder if gamestop would still carry it and how much it would be nowadays.

I found it used for $7.99 at Gamestop.

tnw

Banned
Vexidus said:
When I played through it, I spent hours just looking at the scenery (the water far below high bridges, the mountains in the distance, other parts of the castle from where you are at, yorda playing with birds, etc.) and soaked in every detail, as well as appreciating the dynamic between two lost people who can't communicate, trying to find their way out together.

Yes, this is my favorite aspect of the game. I loved standing on the castle wall, admiring the enrironments, looking out into the ocean, seeing the clothing on the characters flap in the wind and the sun.

The richness of the green areas with water and trees etc. It was such a pleasure to play through.

I haven't really admired atmosphere like that since Mario 64.

If one game reflects what my interior landscape is like, ICO would be it.

Vlad

Thoren said:
I'm amazed I never got interested enough to play this before, in fact I feel like I'm ripping the developers of the game off by buying it used for a few bucks.

The puzzles in the game are so well-made and logical, to the point where you can look around at an area, make the most logical presumptions, and follow them through to beat the puzzle.

The one that really stood out for me was that bridge you had to lower near the water tower. I spent a good bit of time wandering around, climbing that chain, and looking for whatever switch I had to hit to lower the bridge. It finally dawned on me at one point that the logical thing would be to swing on the chain and just knock the bridge down.

It was a little thing, but the fact that the solution wasn't a typical video game solution always impressed me.

I played this for four hours on my PS2 and just stoped for some unknown reason. I enjoyed it but I now have sold memory card and the console ... I have a PS3 but dont feel like replaying those four hours :(

Dalauz

Lince said:
Eurogames has re-reviewed ICO... and it got a straight 10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62936

I don't even want to stop typing. I don't want this to be the last time I'm writing about ICO. I want to keep going on about everything I love about it. I want to tell you how I've whistled the save screen music at least once a month for nearly half a decade; I want to talk about the noises Yorda makes when you're hitting call repeatedly and she can't do anything; the little moments of levity; I want to tell you about the mace I found; I want to tell you what you can do once you've completed it. I really don't want it to end.

I'm listening to the last song on the soundtrack now - the music that you hear over the final scenes and the credits. It's called "You were there".

Just perfect.

soco

i loved ICO. it's one of my favorite gaming experiences. i enjoyed it a lot more than SoTC. i wish the team would do another like ICO.

WTF? The chandler would break when I jump on it but it broke the last time when I played it on the PS2. Could the power of a Euro Playstation3 be causing this? Ico only got one * on the back-compat site so I expect some glitches but surly that does not mean some of this physics are screwed :(

I am never going to see the end of this game!

edit - false alarm I just hit it with my stick and that worked, I could have swore I jumped on it the last time though :S

Most games don't get a second playthrough from me (excluding the MGS series), especially puzzle/adventure games. ICO, however I can play repeatedly because
the beach at the end is probably one of the greatest technical achievements I've ever witnessed in a PS2 game

sammy

TONX said:
The whole last half hour of ICO is my gaming nirvana.

:lol :lol :lol :lol @ your avatar of my digi-paint ---- that feels good :]

yea ---- now that a good amt of year have passed since ICO/SotC --- i can safely say that they have spoiled my hobby of games to some degree - without doubt the high-points of any emotional-reaction i have had to games ----- i can understand how someone wouldn't *get" it ... but hell, i *got* it and it felt good...

my penis will swell-up and pop whenever Ueda announces their next title

I know both soundtracks work brilliantly for their own respective games, but which would you rather see return for the 3rd Ueda/Team ICO game: Oshima & Pentagon or Kow Otani?

... or you could go the safe route and say "someone new and fresh for a 'bound to be' new and fresh experience!" :(

J2 Cool

For me, still ICO > SotC still. Love both, but the castle was just so incredible. Especially in scale, the way the puzzles work together, the way it works for the story. The Yorda system was a great emotional attachment. Damn near instinctively protective of her. And the game's really beautiful. SotC is a more immediate sense of scale and satisfaction, but in the end didn't hold the weight of ICO for me.

TheJollyCorner said:
I know both soundtracks work brilliantly for their own respective games, but which would you rather see return for the 3rd Ueda/Team ICO game: Oshima & Pentagon or Kow Otani?

... or you could go the safe route and say "someone new and fresh for a 'bound to be' new and fresh experience!" :(

I really loved Kow Otani's OST for SOTC. I'd like him to return for the next Team ICO game.

Barnolde

Banned
Just started playing this game too. Only played for about an hour before getting stuck and quitting, but I came away very impressed and look forward to playing again. The atmosphere, (lack of) music, scale of the castle, art style, it's all just so well done. Having played PoP: Sands of Time before this, I now know why that game was as great as it was.

Kevtones

Ico would've been nearly perfect if they removed the combat. Simply escaping the castle was the best part, but the combat was tedious fluff and it distracted the player in a negative way.

Kevtones said:
Ico would've been nearly perfect if they removed the combat. Simply escaping the castle was the best part, but the combat was tedious fluff and it distracted the player in a negative way.

It's not that bad especially when you realise that you barely have to fight at all in the game as all you really need to do is get Yorda to the idol doors and that'll clear the room. There are only certain circumstances in which you have to fight and there's no other choice.

Kevtones

SolidSnakex said:
It's not that bad especially when you realise that you barely have to fight at all in the game as all you really need to do is get Yorda to the idol doors and that'll clear the room. There are only certain circumstances in which you have to fight and there's no other choice.

That doesn't make the combat necessary though. It felt forced.

Kevtones said:
That doesn't make the combat necessary though. It felt forced.

What was forced about it? Given the nature of the game and how they wanted you to feel like you had to protect her, how didn't it fit? He's not suppose to feel like some hero like in alot of other games, he's just suppose to be a kid trying to escape while protecting someone he found there.

Thoren

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
What was forced about it? Given the nature of the game and how they wanted you to feel like you had to protect her, how didn't it fit? He's not suppose to feel like some hero like in alot of other games, he's just suppose to be a kid trying to escape while protecting someone he found there.

The combat was just so badly implemented. Its like they made this awesome game then threw in spawns for the enemies.

I wouldn't mind the game if it had no combat at all, or if enemies had to be dealt with in a puzzle/strategic fashion

Kevtones

SolidSnakex said:

The combat was poorly constructed and it's implementation was not the emphasis of the design (at least IMO). I agree that follows the consistent idea of protection but I feel its evident the game would've been stronger without it. Sloppy combat for the sake of a very established design theme seemed redundant and pointless to me. It did more to take away from the greatness of the title then it did to add to the theme it aimed to convey.

I wanted puzzles, locales, expansiveness, not D- combat.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I don't think the whole Yorda aspect would've worked as well if the didn't have combat, and if they made him like Link he would've lost the feel of just being some kid.

Kevtones

SolidSnakex said:
Different strokes for different folks I guess, I don't think the whole Yorda aspect would've worked as well if the didn't have combat, and if they made him like Link he would've lost the feel of just being some kid.

I think large, specific boss creatures that were environment-specifc but could not be attacked would've worked great. Maybe a certain room with some strange creature that you have to sneak past etc. would've been a better choice. Having specific creatures, pop up seldomly would've done wonders for the game IMO. Repetitive, shallow combat put me off. Eh.

zoukka

I always thought combat in ICO was supposed to resemble a scared kid swinging a wooden stick, with little knowledge of fighting. Desperately trying to protect Yorda. At least that`s how i felt when i played the game for the first time. (bought it right away it was released in Europe)

Any "deepenings" to the fighting would in my opinion lessen the atmosphere of the game. And most of the time i ran away from the shadows if possible.

I`ve played ICO through five times now and every time it hits the spot. A timeless classic.

tnw

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

yeah, i liked the fighting. it wasn't too complicated, and both equippable weapons were necessary, not just a power up. Plus, if they're hadn't been fighting, I feel something would have been lost.

filopilo

zoukka is right about combat :it's like that by Design.
it has to feel desesperate.Ico is not exactly a trained soldier.

Danoss

I bought ICO when it was re-released along with SotC because of all the buzz I heard about it. Lucky I did, because ICO was swiftly deleted again. It sat on my shelf, waiting for a play through, until now.

I just completed it about 10 mins ago and... WOW.

It was worth the play through for the end sequence alone. I am almost speechless after playing it, after almost crying at the end.

It really is a shame that games like this don't get the exposure they deserve.

Top Bottom