• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Inside

I played it recently (was in my Steam backlog since forever) and I'm kinda torn about it.

It looks absolutely AMAZING. I love the art direction and everything, from the backgrounds to the animations, is fine tuned to perfection. Sound design is simple but effective.

The game itself is... ok I guess. I'm not a fan of platformers and I'm not a fan of puzzles, but I'm a fan of bizarre games and I wanted to experience it. It's well made, but I felt no connection with what was shown on screen. The game gives you no context so I had no reason to care about what was happening. I like that they have the balls to kill the main character in horrific ways, but aside from that I was kinda indifferent to the events. I still haven't finished, even though I know it's a short game, because I got bored halfway and I had the distinct impression that they were building a mistery with no payoff.
I think that is definitely one of the things that makes it so good. The theme or world is just so out there. Which makes continuing through the game even more entertaining.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I didn't even mention the sound. like you mention, it's great. Turning the volume up while playing in the dark really puts you in the game.

Those shockwaves... Sooo good.

One of the friend I played with said at the very beginning that it looked/felt like World War 2. That could be an inspiration for the setting, especially with it being black and white plus the weird experiments.

SoundLad

Easily my 2016 GOTY

First of all, it's gorgeous to look at. Great art direction.

The story isn't spoonfed to the player, the player needs to be observant of each of the locations they traverse and be on the lookout for secrets to get the most out of it. And oh man
that secret ending is some mindfuckery

It was worth 10 bucks. Gameplay is alright, those baby puzzles had some good timing.
Not great at all though, ending is rather interesting. Wouldn't recommend.

Yup, it's amazing. It's gorgeous in its simplicity, got an incredible atmosphere, the puzzles are perfect in that they are just hard enough to make you feel smart but not so hard that they become frustrating.

I often moan about lots of things in games but I can't think of a thing that I would change about Inside that wouldn't negatively impact it in some way or another. It's just a perfectly designed game.
Yeah I don't know what I would change if I was going to change anything. Would be nice to have the end of the game explained a little more, but that's really it.
Play again and watch the background and little details. There's so many little things that flesh out a narrative

Like (Underwater section)
in the underwater fan tunnel, many other pairs of red shirts/black pants float past, hinting at the many other trials they've done with the boy-blob experiment
Definitely. I plan on it.

danmaku

I think that is definitely one of the things that makes it so good. The theme or world is just so out there. Which makes continuing through the game even more entertaining.

Actually, it reminded me of Half Life 2, with the Combine rounding up the humans to perform some kind of experiment on them.
The part with the pig caught me totally off guard, though. Very disturbing. I feld bad for that poor pig more than I felt for the kid lol

Izuna

Banned
Between this and your comment about FEZ, I'm getting a sense that you don't enjoy certain genres of indie games

It's a little funny coming from you

~~

I feel like Limbo was a one-trick pony, how gruesome it's deaths were, but ti was other an empty and boring game especially a little bit in.

Inside was very interesting because I thought something big was supposed to happen. I liked that I could figure out most puzzles before first deaths, that some of them were cute (the Simon says made me smirk a little), but the entire end part of the game was a cop-out. What even was the ending. I went back and did the secrets, and it was even more just...

like, what was even the point?

Braid, for example, was equally open and full of speculation but it also had a serviceable take away without any additional thinking required. The ending sequence of that game felt like your efforts paid off.

Inside is the Donnie Darko of video games, except this time I didn't have a film studied teacher and a classroom of impressionable kids debating its meaning.

It was boring.

edit: and apparently GAF loves this game for some reason...

'boring' is such a hollow, non criticism that I see all the time when someone usually has nothing concrete to offer, so don't be surprised when your opinion doesn't line up with most peoples. lets just say 'it wasn't for you'

Izuna

Banned
'boring' is such a hollow, non criticism that I see all the time when someone usually has nothing concrete to offer, so don't be surprised when your opinion doesn't line up with most peoples. lets just say 'it wasn't for you'

I expanding on why juuuuuuust above your comment.

But I do think this is the sort of game where people who are likely to love it are the only ones who have played it.

I only managed to play it because someone game shared it to me, for example.

Maybe if it becomes GwG or on PSPlus we'll see a more general consensus.

majik13

Game totally blew me away, especially the end. Could be my GoTY, for last year. Very good and perfect balance of a game.

bosseye

Limbo was brilliant, but Inside was just exceptional. From start to finish, utterly captivating. I love the various theories about what it all means, fascinating stuff.

One of my games of the generation so far. The mechanics were simple but were used very effectively. I still have no idea what was happening story wise but the game as a whole was just brilliant.

I appreciate a lot about it, particularly the art & sound design and graphics, but I don't really get the unending praise it's received. I loved Limbo and despite Inside being very similar to that game it just didn't grab me in the way that Limbo did. Probably because Limbo for the most part did what this did, just years earlier.

Still, after this and Limbo I'll always at least check out what Playdead releases.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Hmm I just bought this yesterday on Steam because they sent me a 40% off coupon. I haven't played it yet but I loved Limbo so I'm excited to try this out.

gamz

Just finished this last night and loved it. Not sure if I like it better then Limbo which blew my mind at the time. I should replay Limbo and see I how feel. The puzzles were much more harder from what I remember.

Can't wait for Playground next.

balgajo

I still can't believe how responsive the animation was in some parts...
Definetly the best game I played last year. Though I didn't played many things...

I'm down for any game this team makes from here on out.

Loved Inside. As More_Badass pointed out, there are so many little details all over the place that I really appreciate.

LIMBO resonated with me more on an emotional level, but Inside truly felt like the team's next step. Can't wait to see where they go from here. Reminds me of the feelings I had for thatgamecompany after flOwer.

gamz

I'm down for any game this team makes from here on out.

Loved Inside. As More_Badass pointed out, there are so many little details all over the place that I really appreciate.

LIMBO resonated with me more on an emotional level, but Inside truly felt like the team's next step. Can't wait to see where they go from here. Reminds me of the feelings I had for thatgamecompany after flOwer.

That exactly how I feel. I just love their stuff because you are truly transported in a bizarre world that you have no idea what the fuck is going on....So you continue.

I regret buying this so bad.

The story is bizarre for the sake of being bizarre. Like, you can't even properly discuss it because there is nowhere to go beyond speculation. I remember trying to make sense of the story with the help of the internet, but nope, theories contradict each other all the time and are backed up by nothing anyway. It's a clusterfuck with zero substance.

Puzzles are also pretty bad. Mostly because they are not very...fun? The amount of times you have to go back and forth pressing switches and stuff is just dumb. Same for all the threats, turn back to shine light on water monster, run back to catch dogs in a loop where they run back and forth. It's hard to describe what I mean, but the gameplay is just this constant, simple zig-zagging, go back one room to do this, turn your character around to do that, go up to press this switch so you can go down to press that switch, so now you can go back up to the door which is now open.

So yeah. Every aspect of this game is irritating to me.

GOTY 2016 and probably of the gen so far. I have an extreme appreciation for games like this and Limbo where the developer sets out to deliver an overly simplified game or rather very minimalistic but with an extremely high polish. I loved just how focused the experiences are and how everything feels so deliberate and expertly designed.

They've dubbed this "low complexity, high fidelity" when describing their visuals but I feel it applies to their gameplay as well. I loved INSIDE ever since the reveal trailer and the final game over delivered in every aspect.

The technical side of the game cannot be understated.

It uses Unity without any of the problems inherent to many other Unity games.
The lighting/PBR model used by the game is amazing.
It has an amazing post-processing/AA solution, really, you could easily be fooled you're watching a Pixar movie or playing a 2D game.

Yup. There's nothing within it's presentation that reveals the "seams" of it being a game. It literally looks like a CG movie with a low poly artstyle. There's nothing in the game that isn't of the same consistent high standard. And if that wasn't enough the game has probably one of the best sound designs of all time.

psyfi

Banned
I found this game incredibly frustrating. The puzzles were cool, but there were too many pure trial and error moments for me. I died 15 times when they introduced the swimming enemies and just gave up. And when that kid moves at such a plodding pace I don't exactly feel encouraged to experiment.

yyr

I usually prefer gameplay over audio/visuals but Inside totally blew me away with its presentation.

Every aspect of the presentation is top-notch, and the experience was really memorable for my wife and I. We were on the edges of our seats the whole time. By contrast, the gameplay seems like it's there simply to move the experience along. As bad as that sounds, it does a great job in this regard IMHO. It's definitely more interactive than, say, a Telltale game, and yet does not distract or detract from the presentation.

As a whole, every small, individual aspect of the game seems designed, deliberate, a component of the immersive presentation, which is not something that can be said of every game out there. But from a pure gameplay perspective, there isn't as much happening here, so I can totally understand why it would disappoint some people. Nothing is for everyone, and that's the way it should be. Honestly, I think I would have disliked this game 10 years ago, but in 2017 I loved it.

The Hermit

Limbo is a better game. And I don't get why so many people here love the endsequence. It was bizarre but that's it.

I loved the use of background elements weaving into the foreground, made the game feel like a actual world rather than a straight two dimensional line.

Limbo is a better game. And I don't get why so many people here love the endsequence. It was bizarre but that's it.

I do feel like the ending is a bit overhyped. Especially when the implications leading up to it where so much more interesting. For me the biggest "twist" was when you put the first helmet on. I though to myself "this is 15 min in? Holy shit this game is going places." and it did, but not to a level where my mind was blown like in that moment.

It's kind of rare for a sophomore work to a very popular debut game to be even better, but by golly Playdead did it. The 6 year wait was worth it, bound to be a classic. Some of the best visual storytelling and one of the best endings in this medium.

Thorrgal

It's kind of rare for a sophomore work to a very popular debut game to be even better, but by golly Playdead did it. The 6 year wait was worth it, bound to be a classic. Some of the best visual storytelling and one of the best endings in this medium.

6 year wait?? Damn...loved Inside, just finished going through it with 2 casual friends that loved it too.

Shame we have to wait so long for the follow up

Yup, absoute masterpiece indeed!

Yeah, not half-assed like Limbo was for example. A+

AmuroChan

I like the game, but it's more of a 8.5/10 game to me and not a 10/10 masterpiece. Animation and atmosphere the game absolutely nailed, but the ending didn't quite resonate with me and I felt the puzzles in Limbo were better designed.

gamz

I found this game incredibly frustrating. The puzzles were cool, but there were too many pure trial and error moments for me. I died 15 times when they introduced the swimming enemies and just gave up. And when that kid moves at such a plodding pace I don't exactly feel encouraged to experiment.

Dying is part of learning. I died way more often in Limbo, but was never frustrated.

Oddly Ori frustrated me.

HvySky

Yep.

Inside has an incredible sense of atmosphere and the dark, grim aesthetic they were going for is absolutely nailed. However it didn't grab me the same way Limbo did, and if anything the absurd level of hype around it left me a bit underwhelmed.

HotHamBoy

I still gotta play it. Limbo is a masterpiece.

It's so much better than Limbo.

if limbo didnt do much for me should i try this? or is it pretty much more of the same?

I didn't really like Limbo but I was riveted by Inside and couldn't put it down.

It's a work of art.

I think people who feel like Limbo is better are letting their nostalgia blind them. Inside plays better, is paced much better, has phenomenal animations and atmosphere. It does really cool things with scope and dimension and makes clever use of background/foreground. The aesthetics are much more pleasing as well, IMO.

messiaen

One of my all time favorite games. The game has an attention to detail and care that we don't get very often. Beautiful art and sound design, puzzles are varied and interesting but not a hindrance like they were in Limbo. I think it's the best game of the past decade.

I didn't really like Limbo but I was riveted by Inside and couldn't put it down.

It's a work of art.

I think people who feel like Limbo is better are letting their nostalgia blind them. Inside plays better, is paced much better, has phenomenal animations and atmosphere. It does really cool things with scope and dimension and makes clever use of background/foreground. The aesthetics are much more pleasing as well, IMO.

Yeah, people forgot how the pacing goes right down in Limbo with the padding of the industrial sections. There is little narrative context to some of those puzzles, unlike Inside which uses nearly all of its puzzles and sections for world-building and storytelling.

inside_game_in_line_queue_by_digi_matrix-dapcq3h.gif

It's a work of art.

I don't think this is the case. I like INSIDE as whole more than I do Limbo, but from a gameplay perspective, Limbo has more creative and challenging puzzles. In that front INSIDE felt a bit too easy and straight forward compared to Limbo. It's not a case of nostalgia, the games are going for different things.

Bioshocker

Played it on Xbox One the day it launched, glad PS4 owners got the chance to experience it too. Don't know what I think about the ending, but the game is certainly both disturbing and fantastic at the same time. No other game has given my the same weird associations as Inside.

Kyrios

It was alright, kinda just shrugged when the game was over. Didn't leave any impression on me.

Glad others were able to really enjoy it though.

I don't think this is the case. I like INSIDE as whole more than I do Limbo, but from a gameplay perspective, Limbo has more creative and challenging puzzles. In that front INSIDE felt a bit too easy and straight forward compared to Limbo. It's not a case of nostalgia, the games are going for different things.

Agreed. I made a similar comment earlier, Limbo has the better puzzles but overall I dug Inside much better because I felt the easier puzzles helped push the narrative and gameplay along at a better pace.

gamz

Agreed. I made a similar comment earlier, Limbo has the better puzzles but overall I dug Inside much better because I felt the easier puzzles helped push the narrative and gameplay along at a better pace.

This. I liked that I didn't have to die a million times like Limbo. I appreciated that it was just the right amount of challenge.

Ozium

I've been playing this the past couple days (got it from the monthly bundle) and it is good, I'm enjoying it much more than Limbo due to the story/setting being more interesting and alive..

the game was way overhyped though

Axass

It's a really good game, with several layers of meaning, so its very akin to an art piece, however it's definitely overrated. It's a great experience, but I wouldn't put it near gaming classics, especially since it has zero replay value.

BTW, about the ending, and the rest of the game as well:
my personal and favourite explanation is that it's an allegory of birth, with the boy being sperm and the lump of bodies being the fetus

Yep. That's because Limbo is more of a puzzle platformer, while Inside is more of an adventure game. One concentrates more on how it plays, the other on what it wants to convey.

It's not a perfect game, but as far as 2D sidescrolling platformers go...it's as close to perfection as any game released in the last 20 years.

Top Bottom