• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Killzone 2 (2009) via PS3 “Super Slim”

It's certainly a technological achievement in FPS games.

Everything about the campaign immerses you and makes you feel like you're there.

From the opening cinematic to hype you up (seriously more games need to do this again!) and the two opening missions where you ride the landing craft to the mission where the Higs take over the New Sun and send Col. Templar plummeting to his death, this game delivers on all front.

I LOVE how heavy and clunky you feel, the way the guns bounce and sway in your hands. That's also what made Battlefield 3 so great. You're slow and grounded in the world.

And man, the multiplayer was really something unique that no one has ever tried again.

Playing the original Warzone (yes Killzone 2 did it first folks) was some of the best fun I've ever had with an FPS title. The matches were something like 30 minutes long and every 5 minutes it would switch to another game mode. First team deathmatch, the capture the flag, kill the VIP and so on. Truly exceptional.

And the graphics were identical to single player, even the animations of your team mates were exactly the same as NPC's in campaign. I remember storming a bride of the desert map, I threw a red targeting smoke for artillery and the sandy wind was whipping it across my vison pushing the smoke off the edge, tracer rounds flying over my head. It was unreal.

It was a question.

Launch PS3 is prone to failure.
-NEC Tokin capacitors fail
-RSX overheat
-Cell overheat
-PSU overheat

Last Of Us and Killzone 2 push the launch 90nm to the limits. They are the biggest system killers.

It needs a total delid on the 2 chips, capacitor replacement and additional care.

My mate has a launch 360 that hasen't died yet, but it will. Same with PLAYSTATION 3 - YLOD is inevitable. You're lucky. It WILL fail. I can hook you up and get you sorted if you really care for the system. I made some custom tools for the delid.

I repaird them for a living. I have 5 'George Foreman' launch systems that I use regular and maintain.

Seriously, treasure it because otherwise it will die, and they are very finite. It's the greatest console ever made - PlayStation, PS2 and PLAYSTATION 3 libraries. What more could you want!

Let me know if you need any help, it's good to see someone as passionate about that big beast as I am!

craig fairbrass pat tate GIF by Signaturee Entertainment
Can you still get save files off of them if they die?

Still have the OG B/C model but just as a display unit. The fan kicks in just a few mins idling on the xmb. Repurchased a superslim and really with it.

My phat PS3 is the 60GB launch model I bought on Day 1, I really need to take it apart, clean it and put new thermal paste on everything, but it is very intimidating to disassemble! I also have a PS3 Slim model which I had to take apart to replace the dead blu-ray drive, that one is much easier to take apart!

If you use CFW to get the root key while the console is still working, you can. If the console is totally dead or won't stay on long enough to get the ERK then you're out of luck sadly.
I better back up some of my saves then haha. I have over 100 hours played in Uncharted 2's campaign on my slim and that's not even my original PS3, as I had a fat boy that died. R.I.P.

My Far Cry 2 character has also been alive for about 15 years without beating the game hahaha.

It was the game that had me selling the X360 for a PS3. Somewhat enjoyed the original on PS2 so was pretty hyped for the sequel when it started to get showcased. Played a little on an emulator not long ago and it still looked great at 4K so a remaster would be good. Got stuck at one of those points that needs motion controls to turn something (use a Series X controller on PC) so I just grabbed another cheap PS3 copy. Not a bad way to play seen as it still looks great and I could then make use of surround sound. Sounds incredible. Sony's 1st party were on it with audio back then, their newer stuff doesn't sound as good to me.

I better back up some of my saves then haha. I have over 100 hours played in Uncharted 2's campaign on my slim and that's not even my original PS3, as I had a fat boy that died. R.I.P.

My Far Cry 2 character has also been alive for about 15 years without beating the game hahaha.

USB save backups has always been one of PlayStations best features over the years, I'd completely forgotten cloud saves were also a thing for PS3 until I went to play something new the other day and it asked me if I wanted to enable auto-uploads :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It was the game that had me selling the X360 for a PS3. Somewhat enjoyed the original on PS2 so was pretty hyped for the sequel when it started to get showcased. Played a little on an emulator not long ago and it still looked great at 4K so a remaster would be good. Got stuck at one of those points that needs motion controls to turn something (use a Series X controller on PC) so I just grabbed another cheap PS3 copy. Not a bad way to play seen as it still looks great and I could then make use of surround sound. Sounds incredible. Sony's 1st party were on it with audio back then, their newer stuff doesn't sound as good to me.

USB save backups has always been one of PlayStations best features over the years, I'd completely forgotten cloud saves were also a thing for PS3 until I went to play something new the other day and it asked me if I wanted to enable auto-uploads :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yea I think I have cloud save backups. At least I hope so.

It's the GOAT online game imo. In an era (we may still somewhat be in that era) where everything wanted to be a CoD clone, KZ2 stood out with it's weighty gameplay. Logged an absurd amount of hours in that when it first came out.

And man, that chirp sound when you got a Kill.... Just legendary

Drizzlehell

Banned
While I'm not very fond of that era's infatuation with gunmetal grey and brown color palettes, Killzone 2 was one of the few games where it was actually motivated by the premise and the gritty war movie tone that they were going for. The only other game that also used this to good effect was Gears of War but all the other games were just lazy copycats that merely followed the fad set by those watershed games.

Anyway, funny you should make this thread because I have just finished replaying this series, although I gave up on Shadow Fall halfway through because of how fucking dull that game is, lol. I already made a thread about how I would suck dicks for Sony to bring back this series to next-gen consoles as a remastered collection, so no point in going on about that all over again. But it really needs to be said again that this is a really fun franchise that deserves more love (except Shadow Fall, that can rot away in obscurity).

Last edited:
Top Bottom