• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Max Payne 3 [there's spoilers]

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
When I got the first Max Payne, way back in 2004, I really liked the game. It was simple balls to the wall classic game, but with the bullet time. The second game thou, I played and "yeah, that's ok". Then I got the third game when was launched, but my PC broke at the time and I just forgot to play again... until this year. I got it again, just finished, aaaaand it's just nice.

When I played for the first time, I noticed some flaws with the brazilian culture. I mean, Rockstar got right as hellI some stuff, like the folklore and the signs in the places, but the game is based on São Paulo and I got the Rio de Janeiro vibe, mostly from the voice actors. That's ok, I guess. The real problem is the story and overral direction. The first game was really well written, and the comic book with real people worked fine for the style of the game. Now the story is rich people with corrupted government, a really common thing here [in Brazil], but instead a real message to those people, no, you got a boring ending with everyone dead and a guy that hanged himself. [Sigh] In the art direction, the comic book is more just a "thing", which is ok, but there's an annoying "drunkenness" with LSD or something beteween the cutscenes, with a lot of different colors and kinda like Instagram shit... this gets old in the first chapter. I know that it's to represent what Max is feeling, but the guy isn't drunk every moment and it hurts my eyeballs. Bad choice.

As a third person shooter, it's fine. You have the feeling of Max Payne, the level design is very well done, but lacks something, like a villain that you really hate I guess. At the same time, the game goes too long and the third act of the game you just want to finish it. It's a game with a good heart, but very damaged liver.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Pros: The kinetic combat, music, sound direction & the visual style

Cons: The Lamentable story and turning Max into a chump with a gun

Last edited:

edgardo-sp

Neo Member
I loved Max Payne 3, the gunplay is second to none, adopting modern mechanics (cover), but encoraging you to be aggresive with bullet time. Amazing graphics, runs amazing on any PC, stellar soundtrack and sound design (a surround sound setup is a must to truly enjoy it). But it wasn't as memorable as the first two. The cutscenes don't have the same charm as the comic book vignettes of the first two games. The story wasn´t bad per se, but, as a friend put it, you could replace Max with any other random character, and the story would be the same. As a fan of the series, the best moments were when the story focused on Max's personal hell (the shotout in Hoboken, his alcohol and painkiller adiction, the cemetary…). The Panama and Sao Paulo segments felt really authentic (for a person like me, who hasn't been to Brazil), but story wise they were really far fetched (why did Max care so much for the Brancos?). It lacked the noir style of the firt two games.

As a standalone game, IMO it's one of the greats of the last generation.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Effing love this game. It's legit as fuck. Might be time to hook the PC up to the TV for some 4K.

TimFL

I‘d pay full price for a remaster of this. LA Noire got essentially 2 remasters, hope they do one for MP3 too (although I guess it probably aged well considering it‘s out on PC).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I‘d pay full price for a remaster of this. LA Noire got essentially 2 remasters, hope they do one for MP3 too (although I guess it probably aged well considering it‘s out on PC).
Yup, still look and Plays amazing on PC.

Game was great btw. Not on the Level of MP1 and 2 (the writing just wasn't as good) but still great. Te fuckup with the partially unskippable sequences is unexcusable though...

Foxbat

Banned
I really don't know why R* didn't throw this game out there for BC back in June. They green lit like 3 or 4 games, but not this one. I'd pay full price for it, as I missed it last time.

Breakage

Good soundtrack and presentation (as is usual with Rockstar these days), but I can't see the brilliance of the gameplay. From what I remember, it felt slow and clunky; there's nothing elegant or slick about it. For me at least, it definitely does not have the best third person shooting mechanics – a game such as Vanquish is far superior (and I'm not even a big fan of that game).

Last edited:
Top Bottom