• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee HD

Silky

Banned
I was always familiar with the Oddworld franchise, but I only ever played Abe's Oddyssey. Skipping out on Exoddus and YEARS later, I recently picked up the HD revisions of Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Odyssee for PS3. I recalled before hand seeing gameplay of Stranger in which it was a pseudo action/platformer/shooter, but as for Munch's Oddysee I haven't really seen anything on it before other than it's really rad boxart. But this was years ago, so I was essentially going into the game dark.

Stranger's Wrath
Outside of dealing with the weird third person controls, I found myself seriously enjoying Stranger's shooting a lot. Collecting ammo and using it as a means to get around enemies is fun. I feel that, considering how shit Stranger's stamina is that the AI gave me a good hustle trying to get around them when exposed. The dialogue is where the game shines for me, though. I love hearing some of the quips and speeches that the NPCs and enemies give in regards to Stranger. Stranger as a character is pretty neat too, considering his backstory
holy shit Steefs are fucking huge, how did Stranger manage to get rid of all of THAT to blend in.

Munch's Oddysee
Going from Stranger to Munch, the tone is MUCH different than expected. It's really...gloomy, considering Munch's background. Otherwise, the obviously different gameplay is what made me intrigued. It reminded me a bit of Pikmin what with rallying other Mudokons and Fuzzles, using them to solve some of the puzzles. The puzzles in game came off to be a bit annoying, as some things (such as Abe being able to pick up Munch) is NEVER told in the game tutorials. Again the dialogue is where the game is fun for me, but I could barely hear some of the dialogue from the characters due to the odd sound issues. Shame that the game didn't have subtitles.

Overall, I really like these two games! I'm really excited forNew & Tasty, as well. Shame that Abe's Exxodus isn't on PSN, though.

or that Fangus Klot and Hand of Odd will never be made. :c

Top Bottom