• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Quantum Leap

Status
Not open for further replies.
a20791812b026e3454a405_m.jpg

Well, it's abit of a RTTP as I used to watch random episodes of this show whenever it was on TV as a kid. Never could understand the full scope of the story but season 3-5's opening really made it easy to get into the show because it's very well written in a way that gets you to understand and jump in quick.

" Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Doctor Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator - and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home. "

It's weird how a small synopsis makes an impact because it's said with such conviction, truly a fantastic opening + theme song. So, fast forward to nowadays and being an adult I said I should probably buy the entire show and watch it from beginning to end, holy shit am I glad that I did. First of all before anything, I made careful research before buying the DVD set because I heard there was licensing bullshit with the music so I picked up a region 2 set and a region 2 blu/dvd player. If anyone wants to watch the show with nothing cut be sure to pick this region 2 set. It's the only way to watch because the music believe it or not plays a BIG PART of the show and not just in terms of setting.

The only thing that is bad in this set is that there are no bonus features of any kind except for S1(I think the region 1 set has bonus features for each season so I guess I gotta double dip at some point if that is so) and apart from season 1, there is no subtitles for those who would like a late night watch without turning the volume high just to listen clearly. If that opening intrigued you then I advise you not to read the rest of this thread or my post and just watch the show.

Man, what a show. It's hard to articulate in particular what is so good about this show because each episode is a self contained story yet when viewing the series as a whole you get many other bits and pieces, as well as references from previous episodes that you wouldn't understand unless you were watching from the beginning. I'll try my best though. If there are 3 things this show does well it's build up, feels and pay offs.

I mean as soon as the show starts we are right in at the heart of the matter without knowing any backstory about Dr.Sam Beckett but with time we get to know more about him in the form of Al, his best friend giving us bits and pieces as we go along for the ride. It also has probably the most enjoyable back and forth between two characters I have seen in any film or TV series. Al is as strong of a character as Sam even though he's in a supporting role. It's amazing to me that we get to watch for more than a season or two to even see what the entire time machine looks like, the other characters that Al mentions in the future and learn more about Sam's life back in the future. It just doesn't give you everything from the get go but the build up feels natural and when you do get these information, it's just fucking cool and adds a ton of depth.

For a time traveling show the continuity within it really surprised me with references made from all the way back to season 1 in a way that makes sense. I think the easiest example I could give is when Al tells Sam he knows how to do a particular thing, through out the series you get the sense that Al almost knows how to do everything and you as a viewer get to ask yourself "Man, did he do everything in life?", sure enough Sam asks the same question later and the back and forth between them is hilarious. That's just one example but there are many things that have their seeds planted much earlier in the show and they are brought up later in ways that surprise you.

So many memorable episodes and I felt that the show got better as the seasons went on with many themes, messages and stories that really resonate with you today and don't feel out of place AT ALL. One might say that the show gets too cheesy at times and I could agree with that but it's heart is ALWAYS in the right place and I can't deny that. Really, most of the episodes pack a punch and are memorable. It's hard for me to rank the seasons because I feel there is an argument for all of them to be great in one way or the other, overall I loved all of them and I gotta say, the show probably has the most memorable season ending and season opening episodes ever.

759.gif

I don't think I hate anything about this show because I enjoyed all of it and it kept surprising me all the way to the very end. What an ending it is, at first when the show ended I kind of felt
hurt because Sam never returned home when I really was hoping he would but later on upon reflecting, it just made me think what a damn good person Sam is and even though in the last episode he said to god or time or whatever(which I thought was pretty fucking cool in making him a bartender played wonderfully by Bruce McGill) that he wants to return home, it's not what Sam really wanted. I thought it played perfectly to his character being the ultimate boy scout but man..it's fucking bittersweet. fuck. Just thinking about it gets me choked up. He broke the rules of his own project of not changing his or his friend's life to doing just that for Al and thus possibly them never meeting up again because of that change yet, it's what Sam's end goal always was, striving to fix what once went wrong and doing the right thing. Who knows, we all probably have met a "Sam" in our lifetime by now.

Overall, amazing, amazing show on all fronts with continuity that blows my mind for a time traveling show. Shit tons of memorable moments. Very well done, written, with it's heart always in the right place. I will definitely be returning to it later in the future and it's great that it's very accessible as well as rewatchable. Highly recommended. Watched it over the course of 3 months and enjoyed every minute of it.

Nephtis

What a great post. This series really deserved a lot more love -- even when compared to today's standards, Quantum Leap is better by leaps and bounds. You could even say it was a head of its time.

If I ever met Scott Bakula I'd ask him if he could make a pitch for a return of the series. Hell, if i had the money I'd fund it myself.

My number one choice for reboot/remake anytime I'm asked.

Also: what the fuck is the deal with region 1 sets missing music? Quantum Leap isn't the first set I've heard to feature neutered music, is it some dumb licensing deal that only applies in North America?

zerotol

Banned
I really liked this show, but my memory of it isn't so good. I liked the episode where he was
Elvis

Nephtis

isn't it also the first show that actively went headfirst to talk about sexism?

This article puts it best:

Quantum Leap, for all of its surprisingly conservative viewpoints, was actually rather socially progressive. Gay rights, race relations, animal rights, and an examination of the “blame the victim” mentality that can accompany a rape case were all tackled during the series five season run, and it usually came down on the socially progressive side. This episode, whose title comes from a poem on Mark Twain’s daughter’s headstone, features Sam leaping into a coroner/ mortician and discovering a young, supposed suicide victim on his exam table. Sam finds himself driven to understand why the young girl committed suicide and concludes that she was, in fact, murdered. The episode features an abortion, a same-sex relationship, and a pretty well-crafted murder mystery. At the heart though, is Sam, the decent central figure who finds himself constantly surrounded by corruption and cruelty, yet remains as noble and steadfast as ever.

Lagamorph

I think one some of my favourites are the collection of eps where he's leaping in and out of
Lee Harvey Oswald
and then the
Evil Leaper episodes (putting wrong what once went right).

Oh boy!

Edit: The show is on Netflix. :)

Hopefully everything is intact and nothing is cut.

My number one choice for reboot/remake anytime I'm asked.

Also: what the fuck is the deal with region 1 sets missing music? Quantum Leap isn't the first set I've heard to feature neutered music, is it some dumb licensing deal that only applies in North America?

My guess is Universal just didn't give a fuck to paying all these licences because the show uses a ton of music and some of them are really memorable not because of the setting in which an episode takes place in but certain characters as well have a strong memory for a certain song and I'm sure you know what I mean. It's the same shit with In Living Color where apart from the MC Hammer parody, every other song parody was cut from the DVD which is such a fucking shame. Thankfully, my dad recorded them on VHS back in the day and other people have uploaded their recordings on Youtube which is great.

As for why does it only affect NA, I don't know maybe because the songs were made in America or have American distributors?

isn't it also the first show that actively went headfirst to talk about sexism?

This article puts it best:

I think so. The show talks about so many subject matters that it's hard to nail them all down, needless to say they are all done with finesse.

I think one some of my favourites are the collection of eps where he's leaping in and out of
Lee Harvey Oswald
and then the
Evil Leaper episodes (putting wrong what once went right).

I still think the
Evil Leapers existed because of Sam giving out the information about the project when the FBI injected him with truth serum in a much earlier episode. Lee Harvey Oswald is just chilling shit all around and was handled much better than what I was expecting. Fantastic episode.

liquidtmd

Banned
Stockwell and Bakulas chemistry was off the charts, such that whilst the premise of the show lends itself easily to be remade / rebooted and has infinite potential...I'm happy for it to be consigned to history as a warm blanket of comfort viewing.

Even the weaker episodes were sold so well by the leads, I honestly didn't care. It wore it's heart on its sleeve in terms of its boyscout heroism and that aspect I'm not sure would translate across as well to today's 'audiences'. I am disappointed the one off TV movie with Stockwell and Bakula didn't materialise but that sounded more like a backdoor lead in to a reboot anyway

Over the years I've really come to appreciate Mirror Image as a perfect summation of Sams journey,
accepting his vocation
. Beautiful episode and I hope more people over the years discover it...but on reflection, it's been 20 years and I don't think it will be anything other than a fondly remembered cult classic

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
One of my high school English teachers was in an episode of this. It's the one with the wrestlers that are brothers that pose as Russians, and one of them has a heart condition. It's one of the episodes not on Netflix (there are several missing for some reason) so I finally got around to picking up the DVD sets to check it out. Weird to hear him speaking with a Southern accent because that was not his natural voice at all.

I never really watched this show when it was on, but my wife really liked it and we've been catching up sporadically. The only thing that really dates it are the goofy sound effects coming from Sam's remote thing.

One of my high school English teachers was in an episode of this. It's the one with the wrestlers that are brothers that pose as Russians, and one of them has a heart condition. It's one of the episodes not on Netflix (there are several missing for some reason) so I finally got around to picking up the DVD sets to check it out. Weird to hear him speaking with a Southern accent because that was not his natural voice at all.

I never really watched this show when it was on, but my wife really liked it and we've been catching up sporadically. The only thing that really dates it are the goofy sound effects coming from Sam's remote thing.

That's pretty damn cool and the sound effects on Al's chance calculator is part of the charm lool, for those wanting to watch on Netflix the show is 95 episodes in total(97 technically but there are two, two parter episodes made into one complete episode on DVD) so it'll be easier now to identify how many episodes are missing exactly.

Edit: If episodes are missing then maybe the music is changed as well because of the licencing which is shitty IF true.

stuminus3

True story - my son's middle name is "Scott", named after Scott Bakula. My wife and I watched the entirety of Quantum Leap while she was pregnant.

Peltz

I caught a few episodes when I was a kid and thought it was a pretty cool show with an awesome opening. I may give it another shot because someone here mentioned it's on netflix and the OP was pretty enthusiastic about it.

P.S.

Is this real?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is one of the greatest series when I was a kid. Still enjoy the odd episode here and there.

I was talking with my wife and was wondering if it could have the same impact now as it did back when it aired.

Top three series for me, personally, and one of greatest series finales of all time. Get choked up every time, especially ...

Dr. Beckett never made it home

OY.

I don't think we'll have a successful show about such a goody-goody character again anytime soon.

Watched it recently, still holds up really well because Al and Sam have such great chemistry. Al talking about being a POW in response to Sam saying he doesn't believe in the devil was some chilling stuff. In general despite being kind of a slimeball, Dean Stockwell's performance can be the heart of the show even more than Scott Bakula is.

Also a big fan of the finale.

netflix has some of th emusic restored but the episode selection is gutted, including NO FINALE :[

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
¡HarlequinPanic!;178775072 said:
I don't think we'll have a successful show about such a goody-goody character again anytime soon.

Watched it recently, still holds up really well because Al and Sam have such great chemistry. Al talking about being a POW in response to Sam saying he doesn't believe in the devil was some chilling stuff. In general despite being kind of a slimeball, Dean Stockwell's performance can be the heart of the show even more than Scott Bakula is.

Also a big fan of the finale.

netflix has some of th emusic restored but the episode selection is gutted, including NO FINALE :[

The ending is gut-wrenching. It is up there with the Dinosaurs ending.

I don't know nearly enough about the show to say myself, but if the comment section in this article is to be believed, then the Netflix versions (at least, some of them) have the original music:

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2013/06/netflix-new-releases-for-june-25th-2013.html

That's great, shame for the missing episodes though.

True story - my son's middle name is "Scott", named after Scott Bakula. My wife and I watched the entirety of Quantum Leap while she was pregnant.

That's awesome, I can imagine you yelling "Scoooooottttt!" like Al calling out to Sam when some crazy shit is happening hahaha.

This is one of the greatest series when I was a kid. Still enjoy the odd episode here and there.

I was talking with my wife and was wondering if it could have the same impact now as it did back when it aired.

Honestly, I think it would much like before or more even nowadays because the execution is spot on.

farisr

I tried watching it a few months ago because I heard good things, the concept sounded good and then there was that reference on The Flash. Couldn't finish the first ep. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it or something, but I plan on giving it another shot again sometime.

I tried watching it a few months ago because I heard good things, the concept sounded good and then there was that reference on The Flash. Couldn't finish the first ep. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it or something, but I plan on giving it another shot again sometime.

I'd say give it a chance, it's worth sticking to it because the build up is great and you get to know much more about Sam & Al as the show progresses. You barely even know where the show is heading because in the first episode Sam is confused as much as the viewers are to what the hell is happening exactly.

The funny thing is except for that one, cold opening line this episode is probably one of the most progressive episodes of the series.

It wasn't a bad word then. Worked in a mental hospital at that time and we referred to people by the r-word all the time because it only became bad when people used it as an insult in the 90s.

One of my favorite shows of all time. I was so upset when it got cancelled, but still love the hell out of it whenever I watch it.

As other said, the Lee Harvey Oswald episode is great, but one of my favorites is when Sam leaps into a solider in his brother's unit in Vietnam. A great episode, but that final twist when you find out
that Sam could have saved Al from becoming a POW
is just heartbreaking.

It is a shame the music has been changed on most of the show. The scene in one season when Al
"dances" with his old girlfriend while listening to their song
just doesn't work as well without the original music for me. But that might just be nostalgia talking.

0etVxWe.jpg

Hustling the pool hall with Al.

Love it. I don't think I have seen that episode since it first aired.

WillyFive

Possibly one of the greatest sci-fi TV shows of all time.

It's disappointing it never got a sequel show like Doctor Who or Star Trek; it's a premise that could be continued with new actors forever.

0etVxWe.jpg

Hustling the pool hall with Al.

One of many memorable moments in the show along with Sam singing in the episode as well. Pool Hall Blues is one of the greats for sure, I've been reading that some of the missing episodes from Netflix are available on Hulu? Don't know if that's true or not.

Nephtis

Possibly one of the greatest sci-fi TV shows of all time.

It's disappointing it never got a sequel show like Doctor Who or Star Trek; it's a premise that could be continued with new actors forever.

I think that is precisely why it has so much charm. It was unique. And it's really hard to fill Scott Bakula's shoes -- he *was* Sam Beckett. Al was fantastic, and I loved Ziggy. If they had continued much more of it, they would've likely ended up jumping the shark.

There is so much about the show that they did right. I do not want them to remake QL, and if they want to add to it, it can only be with the same actors.

One of the best shows of all time. I'm surprised no one is complaining about the series finale in this topic. I personally loved it, but I thought it's generally considered controversial. The only thing I dislike about the finale is the typo in Sam Beckett's name. How they let that slip through in the very last shot and line of the series is beyond me.

If the series were made today I don't know if it would have been as successful, due to the strong religious angle (which I had no problem with and I'm not even religious).

Sam is still out there... somewhere in time, putting right what once went wrong.

*checks* Hulu seems to have all the episodes. Dunno if it's with the original music or not though...

That's pretty sweet if so, hopefully someone who watched the show checks because if the original music is in then it'll be the easiest way to watch the show instead of going through the hassle that I did but eh, I prefer the best audio and video quality when it comes to my entertainment.

I remember there was supposed to be a new show or movie where his daughter would be the protagonist and begin leaping to find her father.

Yup. This was an idea they were thinking about as well as Al leaping to search for him if I'm not mistaken, both got canned though obviously. I hope we get something QL related in the near future but I doubt it. I'd love to be wrong though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think this is the most recent LTTP thread for this. Didn't really feel like making a new thread.

Just finished it today, and it was such a great show. The relationship between Sam and Al is definitely the main draw of this, rather than any of the sci-fi stuff, or even the subject of the episodes.

I did like it when they brought in the Evil Leaper stuff, just unfortunate there wasn't any resolution to the greater problem of Lothos. The ending made it seem like Sam would forever fix things in the past, and I think actually by making Al's life what he wanted (married to his first wife) there may never have actually been a Quantum Leap (there was no need since Sam fixed everything eventually), so the Sam we know is different from whatever Sam ends up living his "normal" life. At least that's the conclusion I've come to.

definitely in my top 5 sci-fi shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom