• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP/RTTP: The Legend of Zelda series.

Afrocious

Hey everyone,

A week or so ago, I decided I wanted to replay a Zelda game. Then I remembered a friend of mine who played every generation of Pokemon up to Sun and Moon, which made me finally decide to attempt a playthrough of every Zelda game.

Here's a list of every Zelda game in release order. I'll play through every game, though I'm debating about 2, Four Swords, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. *bolded are the ones I've completed at some point in my life*->

The Legend of Zelda (1986)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1987)
A Link to the Past (1991)
Link's Awakening (1993/1998)
Ocarina of Time (1998)
Majora's Mask (2000)

Oracle of Ages (2001)
Oracle of Seasons (2001)

Four Swords (2002)
Wind Waker (2002)
Minish Cap (2004)
Twilight Princess (2006)
Phantom Hourglass (2007)
Spirit Tracks (2009)
Skyward Sword (2011)
A Link Between Worlds (2015)
Breath of the Wild (2017)

So of course, I had to start with the NES' The Legend of Zelda.

l4UNRKh.png

I actually just beat the main quest last night, so no post-by-post update on this one.

Despite how old the game is, I'm surprised how much the franchise kept from it. The monsters, the music, Link getting different colored clothes, most of the tools, the Great Fairy.... The oldest Zelda game I played prior to this one was A Link to the Past which had most of the above, but this game really solidified to me how established the series is with its several elements and motifs.

I did find the game frustrating slightly a bit past the halfway point. I had to use a walkthrough to find the dungeons already, but around level 5 or 6 I had to resort to using walkthroughs for the dungeons themselves. Perhaps it's because the game is old, but it seems partly made for an arcade machine considering how easy it got to use up bombs for example and sometimes outright having to leave the dungeon to buy more. Fighting Darknuts got awful at times too (though it's pretty awesome that their backsides are their weakspot even back in 1986).

The bosses were pretty easy, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The whole idea about Zelda bosses, I think, is that they're puzzles themselves. Not necessarily complicated puzzles, but puzzles regardless.

Also, I thought it was pretty crazy that you could walk out of a dungeon with keys and use those keys elsewhere. Some dungeons have more keys than you need to get to the boss, which means they have locked doors that lead to optional stuff.

And speaking of optional stuff, the way gear was found threw me off. Some tools seem to be straight up optional, but others are placed in areas that are kind of out of the way and they end up being necessary. An example of this is the bow. You find it in the first dungeon, but you don't need it at all up until the final fight with Ganon. The only way I even found the bow was because I figured I missed out on something in the first dungeon and decided to jump in again after killing the boss.

Legend of Zelda felt sort of like a top-down Metroid in a sense, but with a bit more random item placement. I'm not sure how people back in the day found all the items and upgrades without placing a bomb and burning every pixel in every screen.

Oh well. Link saved Zelda. A deed is done.

Yeah, Ganon kicked my ass as you can tell.

Right now, I'm trying to decide if I want to move onto Zelda II or A Link to the Past (might do the SNES version?). Zelda II would be next on the playthrough of the entire series (may as well be going in release order considering I started at the very beginning) but it's so starkly different from the rest of the series.

I agree on not getting how people beat the game without bombing and burning everything (given the era, this is actually potentially what they wanted you to do).

I'd skip II, if only because it's such a departure from the other games in the series, maybe come back to it later when you've played several of the traditional Zelda's.

My actual recommendation is basically do whatever you need to to get to Links awakening as quickly as possible. Which I think I suggested in the prior thread :)

Afrocious

I agree on not getting how people beat the game without bombing and burning everything (given the era, this is actually potentially what they wanted you to do).

I'd skip II, if only because it's such a departure from the other games in the series, maybe come back to it later when you've played several of the traditional Zelda's.

My actual recommendation is basically do whatever you need to to get to Links awakening as quickly as possible. Which I think I suggested in the prior thread :)

Thanks for the rec. I know the rough gist about Link's Awakening - the whole game being a dream and all, but I hear that the game actually holds up to this day due to its charm. I'm interested in trying it since I've never played it. I'd check out the DX version of course.

As for OoT and MM, I'm debating if I want to go with their 3DS versions, or their N64/GCN versions since I possess both.

A part of me would like to run through the OG water temple again and see what I think about it.

Play Link's awakening next

LTTP came before Link's Awakening right? If so, I can't do that.

13ruce

Banned
I also need to finish some Zelda games , my life goal in gaming is to beat them all except the spinoff games like four swords and tri force heroes.

I still need to play Zelda 1 and 2, both oracle games, A Link to the Past and Links Awakening.

Zelda 2 is gonna be the meh one but i will use save states for most of these games anyway so i will manage i hope lol.

Li Kao

Despite how old the game is, I'm surprised how much the franchise kept from it.

Yup, this is something I noticed about the classic series (another example would be Metal Gear). A cynic would say that speaks volume about the medium creativity, but at the same time there is nothing wrong in reusing something that worked really well.

Play II next. You'll get more payoff from seeing how the series developed in sequence than just playing through all the similar ones together and then going back to the offbeat ones.

I just beat it again last night. Such a good game.

Afrocious

Play II next. You'll get more payoff from seeing how the series developed in sequence than just playing through all the similar ones together and then going back to the offbeat ones.

I just beat it again last night. Such a good game.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward playing through 2 to get it out of the way.

For the record, I don't like 2. I played some of it on the Collector's Edition GCN disc that Nintendo Power gave away ages ago. It wasn't fun. However, it's indisputable that it's part of the main franchise.

The good thing is that after 2, my enjoyment of the series skyrockets.

Maiar_m

Link's Awakening is the only game I recall tearing up for and possibly the reason why I'm still interested in the medium to being with. Play that. A Link Between Worlds should also be on your radar, possibly after a second playthrough of ALTTP if you feel like replaying that.

Cerium

Lol they don't do anything to Tetra. You'd know this if you beat the game.

Clearly we beat different games because they took a big smelly shit all over her character within the first five minutes.

Also the game is bad and not fun to play.

Cathcart

You guys act like information was invented by the internet. We all had Nintendo Power back then or knew someone at school who did. It really wasn't a big deal.

maxcriden

I think I mentioned this in your last thread but I played Phantom Hourglass a year or two ago and enjoyed it immensely. It gave me a similar feeling to Skyward Sword (which I loved -- my LTTP for Skyward is here but contains spoilers) in terms of having really direct and tactile control over Link and his actions. I thought the sea you traverse in the game was streamlined well and had plenty of good secrets to offer. The sidequests in general were enjoyable to me. Temple design was solid and I especially like the main temple that you frequently revisit; there are a lot of gripes I've seen about this mechanic but it feels great to keep going back to the temple and using more powerful tools to find clever ways to traverse previous areas more quickly, find secrets in previous areas, and reach new areas. The boss fights are notably great in this game, too, and the individual regular enemy fights have a good tactile sense to them.

Edit: also, you left Tri Force Heroes off your list so I want to take a moment to recommend that one as well. I'm going to copy/paste a post I made about the game previously.

tfhotq7sj9.png

Image courtesy TheMoon from his OT.

It's so good and under-appreciated. Just bear in mind connectivity/randoms can be a drag sometimes. Here's the OT:

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

And here's my GOTY write-up, where I named it #5:

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ; As a massive Zelda fan, I didn't know exactly what to expect from TFH. I've never been super into MP Zelda and I just didn't know how much replayability the dungeons would hold. The answer, honestly, is not that much. Patches have improved this some but the purest experience the game has to offer is when a team of three adventurers totally unfamiliar with what a level has to offer struggle and succeed together. That's a great, great feeling. There are trolls though, and poor connections (maybe my fault at times, I'm honestly unsure), and the loot system while mostly genius is a bit too reliant on replaying levels and if you know the solution to a level and don't have all the time in the world to play games...or honestly even if you do...it's just not that exciting to replay a 2D Zelda level unless you missed some significant area your first time through and that's just not something that's going to happen in this game the way it's structured.

But! "Noooooo!!!" is hilarious. Cheering is hilarious. All the emojis are amazing. Those two are my faves. When teamwork works, it really, really works. The bosses are ridiculously on point and a lot of the levels themselves off new mechanics heretofore unseen in the series as far as I remember. The costumes are super clever and creative and often very cute. No point spoiling any of those here, but I will say that if I jumped into the game again I might consider SP just for my own peace of mind. Because when you get a lot of trolls or bad runs--that coupled with the frustrating voting system with levels--it really feels a bit aggravating. You can tell I'm torn about the game. There's a lot of quality there. I just wish there was a consistently great way to experience it. If you have access to two other people with 3DS's who want to play it with you, that's gotta be the best way to go. I've heard polarizing things about SP but I think I'd consider it before strongly recommending online with randoms, depending on your level of frustration tolerance. Oh, and the OST is supremely awesome.

zelda_tri_force_heroes.gif

StarPhlox

Probably one of my favorite series, but like most Nintendo franchises they got overzealous and put out some junk in the last decade.

Classics: Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, Zelda II: AoL, Wind Waker

Great: Minish Cap, Ocarina, Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess, Legend of Zelda (NES)

Good: Oracle of Ages and Seasons, Skyward Sword, all the Four Swords stuff

Garbage: Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Tri Force Heroes

While I would never, ever play Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks again I will absolutely never finish Tri Force Heroes. It is the worst game I have purchased in my adult life and is completely unplayable solo or with randoms online.

Afrocious

The Zelda 1 SNES Satellaview Remake and Ancient Stone Tablets are missing from the list. Both are official Zelda titles made by Nintendo.

I'm not playing Zelda 1 again if that's what you're implying.

If you wish to play it, please have fun.

Dr.Hadji

Clearly we beat different games because they took a big smelly shit all over her character within the first five minutes.

Also the game is bad and not fun to play.

Lol. Again, if you beat the game, you would know this isn't true.

As a side note, how is the intro of PH any worse or Tetra/Zelda than being turned into an flat shell of herself and then being kidnapped in WW?

Afrocious

Also, I realized I wont be able to play Zelda 2 until the middle of February.

I think I made this thread way too early then lol.

Griss

I swore I wouldn't replay any Zeldas before Breath of the Wild.

Then in just the last week or so I've replayed most of Twilight Princess (in HD on the Wii U for the first time) and half of Wind Waker (in HD on the Wii U for the first time).

This is while I'm trying to make progress in The Last Guardian, too. I just start a Zelda game and it gets its hooks in me and I'm done - I can't shake the urge to play it until I've beaten it. It's why it has always been my favourite game series, starting with the original on NES which was my first ever videogame. Even TP which I have often maligned as 'stale' and 'ugly' and 'poorly-paced' is just a joy to play from moment-to-moment.

Anyway, the first game is iconic and incredible, even if the overworld secrets are haphazardly placed and many require using a guide or tedious trial and error. Everything else about it is stunning. I'd take it any day over the lacklustre Link to the Past, with its ugly spirtes, floaty gameplay, dull dungeons and music that sounds like it was recorded underwater.

Look forward to Link's Awakening - that's another classic. Shame you know the ending already.

If you're going to skip any of them, make it Phantom Hourglass. That one is mediocre at best, and by the standards of the rest of the series it's simply terrible.

As a side note, how is the intro of PH any worse or Tetra/Zelda than being turned into an flat shell of herself and then being kidnapped in WW?

Because at least in Wind Waker she's had half a game of being awesome up to that point.

The ending of Phantom Hourglass doesn't do anything to negate the fact that Tetra is a damsel in distress for 99% of the game.

Cerium

Tetra, who in Wind Waker was the most involved and proactive Zelda to date in the entire franchise, was turned into a fucking damsel in distress begging (literally begging!) for Link to save her, and had zero involvement in the story all the way up until she was unfrozen at the end. Princess Peach has had more compelling roles in mainline Mario games. I'm not sure what you think I was missing there, unless you managed to unlock a super secret magical fucking ending that retroactively gave Tetra something to do other than serve as a silent petrified MacGuffin.

But even if Phantom Hourglass had a better story (and I use the word story here in only the loosest terms) the gameplay would still be a cure for insomnia. This game is the absolute low point of the franchise; CD-I eat your heart out.

As for your hilarious side note, did Tetra beg for help when she got captured at the end of Wind Waker? No, she grabbed some light arrows and shot Ganondorf in his fucking face. She became the first Zelda in the series to actually directly participate in a fight against The King of Evil, and she was just as much a part of defeating him as Link. You'd never recognize her from her portrayal in the pile of shit that is Phantom Hourglass.

Dr.Hadji

Because at least in Wind Waker she's had half a game of being awesome up to that point.

The ending of Phantom Hourglass doesn't do anything to negate the fact that Tetra is a damsel in distress for 99% of the game.

It does because she wasn't, both literally and figuratively. As she wasn't actually in need of rescue at any point of the game. And Zelda's "rescue" is about as important to the game's narrative as finding Navi is in MM. She's almost a complete non-factor. Ending or not, it's hard to pin a character's destruction on a performance that has almost has no impact on the game.

Link goes about slaying windmills and somehow Tetra is to blame for his delusions.

Funny, was contemplating making a similar thread after giving consideration as to whether or not I want to revisit some Zelda games prior to Breath of the Wild.

I've only beaten Zelda 1 once, no hints, no guides...3-4 years ago? Took me 4-5 weeks and was one of the more rewarding gaming wins I've had in 34 yrs of gaming.

Contemplating trying it again and then following it up with a long overdue LttP run.

Griss

It does because she wasn't, both literally and figuratively. As she wasn't actually in need of rescue at any point of the game. And Zelda's "rescue" is about as important to the game's narrative as finding Navi is in MM. She's almost a complete non-factor. Ending or not, it's hard to pin a character's destruction on a performance that has almost has no impact on the game.

Link goes about slaying windmills and somehow Tetra is to blame for his delusions.

What? The ending and the fact that
the whole adventure may or may not have been a dream - and I personally believe it wasn't
does not change what the player experiences, which is that Tetra is a damsel in distress for 99% of the game. She is the reason for Link's adventure - he's out to rescue/save her. The whole entire game structure rests on this point.

If you arrive at the end and the game says 'Actually while you were supposedly rescuing her she went off and became the first woman quarterback in the NFL and won 5 super bowls' it would change nothing in terms of how the player experiences her agency while playing the game.

Cerium

Disgusted-gif.gif

Sapiens

Don't listen to the people putting Zelda 2 down. It's great. Bring a guide.

The people who shit on Zelda two are the same people that get that ugly zelda logo tattoo you see everywhere.

As I mentioned in your last thread, 2 is a fantastic game, it's just different. I try to replay it every year.

You just need to get used to the combat system. A lot of people tend to not have enough patience to learn enemy patterns, get killed easily, and complain online that the game is "too hard", so it gets a bad rap, but it's a very fun game imo.

after that, 3 & 4 on the snes and gb are to me the core of the series. Everything wonderful about zelda is in those games.

Zelda 2 is absolutely amazing. It is different from the rest and that is why I believe it gets thrown in the corner to be alone by the majority of people claiming to love Zelda games.

hunchback

I need help remembering which handheld Zelda game that I really enjoyed.

What sticks out most is a mechanic that felt new to me. I remember using the stylus on the handheld to direct Links boomerang. I remember a dungeon where you used this mechanic to throw around corners and activate traps or collect rupees.

Does anyone remember which game this is from the series?

I need help remembering which handheld Zelda game that I really enjoyed.

What sticks out most is a mechanic that felt new to me. I remember using the stylus on the handheld to direct Links boomerang. I remember a dungeon where you used this mechanic to throw around corners and activate traps or collect rupees.

Does anyone remember which game this is from the series?

Sounds like Phantom Hourglass to me. One of my least favourite zelda games overall, but different strokes for different folks.

Griss

It's either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

Were you on a boat most of the time or a train? In the first case, Phantom Hourglass. In the latter case, Spirit Tracks. Probably Phantom Hourglass.

Good news for you is you started with the worst one... and liked it. It's only pleasure for your from here on out.

hunchback

It's either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

Were you on a boat most of the time or a train? In the first case, Phantom Hourglass. In the latter case, Spirit Tracks. Probably Phantom Hourglass.

Good news for you is you started with the worst one... and liked it. It's only pleasure for your from here on out.

Yes, it's Phantom Hourglass. Thanks to both you and Croc. It's not my all time fave. I'm working through A link between world's right now.

maxcriden

Yes, it's Phantom Hourglass. Thanks to both you and Croc. It's not my all time fave. I'm working through A link between world's right now.

I'm with you, man, FWIW. I think Phantom Hourglass is plenty great. I'm looking forward to playing Spirit Tracks as well since it's purportedly the better game of the two DS Zeldas. (LBW is terrific as well, hope your enjoying it.)

Fou-Lu

I started this a few years ago but slowed down because of the Oracle games. I just got around to beating them last month so I might move on with the list. I'll probably skip Four Swords and move on to Wind Waker though.

I heard that Zelda 1 came bundled with a map on its orig. NES release...that could explain why the games hard to navigate...it needed to be used in tandem with the map to find your way through

modsbox

You should do Zelda II. Before you start though, remember that it is really difficult. Much more so than any of the other Zeldas in my opinion.

Leveling up intelligently is really important, so read a few strategies on that. The method whereby you level up one of your stats several levels before either of the others, then use a crystal when beating a palace to level the other two quite a few at once is key.

Point is, even when your levels are maxed the game isn't easy-- you're going to want to grind a bit.

It's an example of a game where I would advocate using savestates if you're going in blind. Otherwise be prepared for a lot of game overs.

Just got to Dungeon 9 in Legend of Zelda. Took me five days. Not bad considering it took me five weeks to beat it for the first time 4 years ago.

Still contemplating if I want to go through Zelda 2. If my impressions of BotW serve me well, Zelda 1 should be a good segue.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've been doing the same, beating the games that I had never beaten. So far, I've got under my belt: LoZ1, ALttP, Link's Awakening DX, both Oracles, Minish Cap, and the DS ones. I'm currently playing through Zelda II and I must say I'm damn impressed by it. I'm loving the RPG vibes, even though it can be a tad too difficult from time to time.

friz898

Just got to Dungeon 9 in Legend of Zelda. Took me five days. Not bad considering it took me five weeks to beat it for the first time 4 years ago.

Still contemplating if I want to go through Zelda 2. If my impressions of BotW serve me well, Zelda 1 should be a good segue.

Zelda 2 is my favorite.

On the reverse, I loved (and grew up with) Zelda 1 and 2. I also beat AllP shortly after it came out -- but the series lost me by OOT.

So when I say 2 is awesome and my favorite, I guess you can throw my opinion out because it's completely different than every single other Zelda. Shoot, it plays more like a Castlevania 2/3 than a Top-Down Zelda.

Side Note -- if you've never heard/played 3D Dot Heroes or whatever that game is for 360/PS3, it's truly the best Zelda 1 sequel ever.

ReyVGM

I'm not playing Zelda 1 again if that's what you're implying.

If you wish to play it, please have fun.

It's not Zelda 1, it's a remake that counts as a 3rd and 4th quest (there are two remakes). All the dungeons are different, and the game is a lot easier too since the original purpose to the game was to beat it in a few hours during the live broadcast.

Top Bottom