• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: An amazing couch "co-op" game

So, this game has apparently received it's fair share of LTTP threads since release. I bought it for $5 on the Steam sale in anticipation of a game night I hosted, but we never got around to playing it. I'm not bumping one of those old threads for a specific reason, because in the 8 or so hours I've spent with the game since Saturday, it's proven to be an incredible local co-op game with my wife.

I wouldn't call my wife a particularly...skilled...gamer. We enjoy playing games cooperatively, but with the sole exception of top-down games (Diablo 3, twin-stick shooters, etc) and titles like Earth Defense Force, she often struggles with controls and usually I do a lot of the heavy-lifting. One of our favorite games is Mario Kart 8, which is a game she struggles with a great deal largely because of her inability to get the drifting mechanic down, and because the A.I. isn't particularly forgiving; even on 50cc, which for her (and me) is too slow. Despite frequently placing within the bottom 4, she enjoys the game, but not for particularly long (we played this for almost 5 hours straight on Sunday).

Enter Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which is, seemingly by total accident, a fantastic split-screen experience for both skilled and unskilled players. Here's why:

You can play the career mode together.
This isn't particularly novel, but when playing the career mode with more than just one player, only one of you has to meet the event requirements to move on. This means that my wife can race to her heart's content, place 4th, and as long as I win, we pass the event. This is nice because it still feels like a victory even if she didn't win the race/event. The coins we pick up are shared, so she can use the slot machine to get power-ups that I don't really need. It's nice that the career mode is laid out into different groups of events, each with it's own world map of events; so as you play you really see your progress together.

On the lowest difficulty, C class, the game is still fast.
Unlike say, Mario Kart, selecting a difficulty has no bearing on the general speed of the race (it does in a way, but it's not broken into discrete speed classes). On the easiest difficulty, this allows my wife to occasionally miss boost pads or flub stunts, almost completely ignore the drifting mechanic, and still finish at 5th place or better almost every time. She really enjoys the weapon combat so her victories are usually because of her mercilessly wailing on the other racers. Although I finish waaay out in 1st almost every race, it's still fun for me because the game itself is fun to play and I get to mess around doing stupid drifts and risky stunts. It also helps me better prepare for playing on the harder classes since I get familiar with the tracks.

You can share weapons.
When racing in splitscreen mode (this may be true online but I have no idea), you each share a banked weapon slot. This means that when I'm cruising in first place, and my wife is battling for position, I can pick up weapons ahead of her, bank them, and then she can use them on who ever is in front of her. Conversely, she can bank more defensive weapons like the glove and the blowfish for me to use. This is a REALLY awesome touch that turns an otherwise purely competitive game into a partially cooperative one. We both really like this mechanic.

The game is easy to play and understand, but rewards greater attention to smaller mechanical details.
This isn't a knock against Mario Kart at all, but I think a lot of people underestimate how intimidating that game can be to newcomers or casual players; it can be pretty relentless to you at any class level, and not really understanding "how" to play is a barrier. For whatever reason, S&ART sort of simplifies the formula a little bit, specifically when picking a racer. Instead of swapping parts and looking at how it affects your stats, you can really just say to yourself, "Well, I want someone who's really fast, or turns sharply," and just pick whomever has the highest of that stat and basically do well (before y'all lose it on me and say how every kart racer does this, bear in mind I'm speaking specifically about playing with my wife, who doesn't usually get on well with kart racers). There's also a complexity to the mechanics (risk boosts, stunt combos, etc) that isn't made obvious that I enjoy and I'm able to engage with, that doesn't affect or hinder her experience at all.

The 2-player splitscreen isn't claustrophobic.
Just look at this wide angle:
maxresdefault.jpg
You can almost always see the entire width of the track (which are also very wide, with a few exceptions) in splitscreen. This isn't even true when playing solo, as the camera is a little more zoomed in on your racer. This is a HUGE deal to someone who isn't intimately familiar with playing kart racers or their mechanics, being able to see everything at once helps tremendously.

The game is awesome.
It's a fantastic homage/shrine/whatever to SEGA's gaming heritage. The character selection is a little weird (Danica Patrick? Wreck-It-Ralph?) and a lot of the references are lost on my wife (Ristar, Burning Rangers, the giant select screen skeleton on the Golden Axe course), but overall the game's presentation and look is outstanding and contains enough analogs to Mario Kart's weapons and concepts that she was familiar with everything after a race or two.

So yeah, amazing game. Here's some random images:

entremet

I played the Vita version via Plus and couldn't get into it. But the performance was poor.

I should revisit on PC.

While I prefer the MK8 driving engine and tracks, Sonic destroy MK8 in single player content.

Spaghetti

i liked how initially a lot of people just kinda brushed it off as "oh, a sonic racer, whatevs", and it has become one of the most beloved and well received non-mario kart racers in recent memory.

i fucking love this game. would love to see sumo digital make another, or even the long-rumoured sega fighter.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You can tell they put thought into a lot of the design decisions in the game, including local co-op. Very nicely implemented, I like to think someone behind it wanted people of different skill levels to be able to easily play the game together with little hassle and frustration for a good time, and the game is simple to grasp but challenging to master. Also helps the control scheme is simple and effective, it's even one of the few racers I think that has good keyboard+mouse controls.

Also can vouch online racing is awesome. Can change various settings, play between 2-12 players, and the netcode is actually really good. I have friends in the UK and Australia (with me in the US) I have played with, and it handles the latency and ping very well, its hardly noticeable.

All of this and the PC port is great.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One of the best arcade racers in recent years. It's really a bummer we haven't seen a third game by now.

I bought the game at the Wii U launch and managed to collect every damn star, but by the time it was over I was spent and didn't want to touch the game for a long time. Those last few traffic challenges were doozies.

One of the great "kart" games out there. Between this, Crash Team Racing and <Insert your favourite Mario Kart game here> I'm not sure we even need any more.

That said, I'd love a sequel.

Lunaniem

i liked how initially a lot of people just kinda brushed it off as "oh, a sonic racer, whatevs", and it has become one of the most beloved and well received non-mario kart racers in recent memory.

With how many non-Sonic characters they added, they might as well of called it Sega Racing.

My absolute favourite kart racer out there. The track design is great, soundtrack is amazing and it's just really fun to play! The speed is awesome and I like that the items don't influence the match as much as in most Mario Kart games.

How does the WiiU version hold up?

Pretty sure it's about the same as the other console versions. I noticed character models aren't as good as on PS3, but load times are a bit shorter. Frame rate isn't the best out there, but it's perfectly playable.

taku

"Sega's arcade racers are the best in the world. If you don't believe us, try one for yourself."
HHZKfJJ.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taku, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-CF5885ACB5154249 - Taken by SoraEnkai. 1 entrants total.

t1452021650z1.png
And you simply reach out. . . and take it. How about that?

Sydle

One of my favorite kart racers ever. I bought it on 360 and Steam, the PC version at 60fps is amazing.

I really hope there's another someday.

If you've not played it I'd definitely recommend getting the first game, although I played the PS3 version so I'm not too familiar with how it played on other platforms.

It had a bigger focus on single-payer however, and included missions similar to the Mario Kart Wii events they used to have, which were fun. It also had a better roster in my opinion, although there was a lot of Sonic (Heroes) stuff in the game, and I preferred the more traditional nature of it.

Transformed had a few tracks from the original, which are the ones that didn't have transform sections. If you enjoyed those as much as the rest of the tracks you'll enjoy the original game.

How does the WiiU version hold up?
My favorite aspect of the Wii U version fits perfectly with the subject line of this thread, actually! One player can have the TV view entirely to himself/herself while racing against someone else on the gamepad. I love that approach to local multiplayer -- not a fan of split-screen when I can help it -- and it's something I wish Nintendo could've pulled off for Mario Kart 8 (although I understand why it wasn't possible).

Oneself

That's one game that would benifit a lot from an HD remaster.
That game @60fps / 1080p would be absolutely amazing and probably super impressive visually.

Love the game. I played through almost all of the 360 version with my brother in co-op. With both of us being old Sega fans it really was a fantastic experience.

Later, I got a gaming PC and bought the Sonic Collection on Steam. I only put the game on to check out how it looked at 60fps but ended up completing the whole thing again. (although looking at the achievements there must be some challenges I didn't finish)

Now this thread is making me install the game.

AdamMPSP

Yeah, I played this on Wii U with my girlfriend in a pre-Mario Kart 8 world. We really enjoyed it, especially the two player adventure/story mode, until it got just frustratingly hard.

Still a great game and would pick up a sequel in a heartbeat.

Kinsei

Banned
Such an amazing game. I love that the final unlockable character is
a Dreamcast VMU
and it's vehicles are
a Hornet car from Daytona USA, a Dreamcast controller, and a jet from Afterburner.

Kent

I always run into issues when describing this game to people. It's like they immediately get the impression that it's just a Sega-branded Mario Kart knock-off and therefore all other information gets tuned out as they go continue to insist that the only possible thing it could have going for it is the branding, and as a result, could not fathomably be anything other than a cheap imitation and everyone who likes it is just blinded by nostalgia.
Or maybe I should just stop trying to get my brother to try good games.

The Mario Kart similarities are little more than surface-deep. Actual racing mechanics make it feel so much more satisfying in moment-to-moment gameplay, that referring to it as a "kart racer" feels pretty disingenuous.

"Sega's arcade racers are the best in the world. If you don't believe us, try one for yourself."
Considering this and F-Zero GX, I don't really see a good argument against this statement.

Best kart game ever made. As much as I hate remasters, this is one game I wish they would remaster. I still play it on my 360 till this day. Love it.

I can't take anyone who disagrees with this seriously.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I always run into issues when describing this game to people. It's like they immediately get the impression that it's just a Sega-branded Mario Kart knock-off and therefore all other information gets tuned out as they go continue to insist that the only possible thing it could have going for it is the branding, and as a result, could not fathomably be anything other than a cheap imitation and everyone who likes it is just blinded by nostalgia.
Or maybe I should just stop trying to get my brother to try good games.

The Mario Kart similarities are little more than surface-deep. Actual racing mechanics make it feel so much more satisfying in moment-to-moment gameplay, that referring to it as a "kart racer" feels pretty disingenuous.

Considering this and F-Zero GX, I don't really see a good argument against this statement.
Try arcade racer. It was made by developers who know arcade racers well, and though they're in kart-type things, the gameplay is far closer to an arcade racer than a typical kart racer is

I remember picking this up on a whim for PS3 and being shocked by how much fun it was. Also any game that has both a Skies of Arcadia stage and a Panzer Dragoon stage is all right in my book.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good game, but the original version is even better. Better weapons, controls, and racing.

studyguy

SASRT was the GOAT even if they eventually turned into SONIC & LITERALLY ANYONE WE COULD AFFORD RACING after a while with youtube stars getting into the mix. Fuck that yogcast guy has the absolute worst voice pack.

The guy literally just SCREAMS when he gets shot or gets items, the fuck.

I get it was for charity but ffs, that voice pack.

RK128

This made the lack of a great Sony/MS Sonic game for the last four years a bit better :). I love how much the tracks dive into Sega's history, the new playable characters like Shinobi and Vyse are great and the game has a ton of single player content to dive into.

And while it doesn't preform as good as it should on Vita, its a really impressive port of the console and PC versions that does its job well (never had issues with the game's performance personally). One of the very first games I got with my Vita :).

I love this game and I'm glad so many on Gaf love it too :D!

I hope that Sega considers porting this to PS4/X1 in the future, as 1080p/60FPS for people without powerful PC's would be amazing :').

Edit: And my god the soundtrack to this game XD! Outstanding remixes to some amazing Sega games :'). Hearing new versions of Afterburner's theme, PD's Flight, a new remix of Sky Sanctuary and more was amazing :').

Here are some links to the soundtrack:
Carrier Zone - Afterburner Stage
Dragon Canon - PD
Seasonal Shrine - Shinobi
Sanctuary Falls - Sky Sanctuary

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
SASRT was the GOAT even if they eventually turned into SONIC & LITERALLY ANYONE WE COULD AFFORD RACING after a while with youtube stars getting into the mix. Fuck that yogcast guy has the absolute worst voice pack.

Wait, what? Yogcast guy?

I get it was for charity but ffs, that voice pack.
Wow, had no idea that existed. I knew it got stuff like Football Manager, but this is somehow even weirder.

studyguy

PC exlusive had Shogun from Shogun Total War, Football Manager, General Winter from Company of heroes, Willeimus from Rome Total War II, TF2 guys, Yogcast guy. Along with every other platform character minus the Wii avatar and the Microsoft avatar from their respective platforms.

Was Ryo Hazuki released on consoles?

Top Bottom