• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars: Clone Wars (2008 TV Series)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
tenor.gif

tumblr_ppz0z5fA591qf5hjqo2_500.gif

tenor.gif

So I have seen a handful of these over the years, but I remember them being good. Having recently rediscovered my love for the PT, I decided to finally watch through this entire series. After all, it is canon, it was made with the guiding mind of George Lucas, it is the final OG content from the series. Holy crap people were right, this is the best SW since the OT.

A single trilogy of movies was not really enough to cover the entire Clone Wars as well as the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, and with the movies, one of those stories had to take precedence. So the movies would cover the personal Space Opera story of Anakin/Vader in a three part trilogy, while the shows could go all in on the wars themselves in an episodic fashion. The serialized nature of TV storytelling is something inherently baked into the George's depiction of the mythos from day one. This is a man who started his own comic book store before he went into film. This series is great and plentiful. All told, the Clone Wars 2008 CGI show alone adds about 54 hours worth of Star Wars stories to the OG canon.

It is a natural fit. There is so much freedom in these stories. You can have 25 minutes of just random Clones fighting it out in a single outpost, the main heroes showing up only at the end to give support, and have it be captivating just the same. Something you couldn't really get away with in a major film, when pressed for time, but that can be very well done when you aren't compressing everything into uninterrupted 2 hour blocks. I just started but already I am looking forward to the varied places this will take me.

Plus it looks really cool. George here talks about the look of the series, how he was thinking of The Thunderbirds, which was a pulp 60s action serial, kind of like Batman or something, featuring puppet-like marionettes. George was always experimenting with optical effects and storytelling, and I think his choice here is perfect.

Visually the characters are not realistic enough to give an off-putting Uncanny Valley effect, they have a cartoonishness about them, but it can be taken seriously, and can provide for drama. The character design really fits the style of the prequel trilogy, which has this Art Deco sheen to it, calling back to the early days of Flash Gordon futurism that gave birth to the whole sci fi genre in the first place. So they can do callbacks to the Fleischer Superman cartoons, another formative serial, and mix up Futurist architecture with Sci Fi Pulp (as in paperbacks) cover worlds, weird planets, really visually interesting stuff. This series is ripe. It is POTENT.

Anyways I'm still on season 01 and I'm loving every minute of it. The is a great episode where Anakin has lost R2 and Obi Wan tells him to find R2 and destroy him, because he has valuable information on him that could fall into enemy hands. This, Anakin reveals to Obi Wan in a tense scene where the master is upset at his apprentice for not wiping the data per standard procedure. Anakin's attachment to his droid R2 is putting them in danger, and it's just this brilliant depiction of the student-teacher relationship. Eventually they all rescue him of course and he ends up saving everyone in the process. The episodes have a lot of crazy stuff going on like R2 getting tortured for information by Grevious, that was crazy to see. He really goes through a lot in this one, Anakin too. Later on R2 ends up saving the day while fighting off an evil R3 unit. He ends the battle as the ultimate steely cold killer. I was shouting IRL with joy at this scene.

clone-wars-droid-wars.gif

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if you want anywhere to start I highly recommend S1E6-7 "Downfall of a Droid"/"Duel of the Droids". this is the 2 part R2D2 arc, a solid 50 minutes that is just incredible.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I absolutely love this show, and would recommend it to anyone going through the current Star Wars malaise, courtesy of Disney.

Just forget their shit ever existed, and enjoy so many great Star Wars stories here.

One caveat, the show does takes a while to find itself and become good. But it’s worth the slow start.

Top Bottom