• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
_1382661869.jpg

So over the past 2 days, I decided to marathon all 6 star wars films. I had seen episode 4 a few years ago and I've seen bits and pieces of 5 and 2 here and there, but this was pretty much my first time experiencing the whole thing. I tried to go in completely unbiased and view the films as objectively as I could without letting what i've heard about them influence me. Here are my thoughts on each films.

A New Hope Excellent film. Despite being made in 1977 this film still holds up marvelously, which goes to show how much of a timeless classic it is. The acting and dialogue can be cheesy as hell at times but that's not necessarily a bad thing and I feel that it actually adds to the movie's charm. However My biggest flaw with the film is all the CGI. From what I've read this wasn't actually in the original film and was added retroactively by Lucas. It really hurt the experience for me imo and was distracting as hell. Even though I've never seen the originals, the fact that I could very easily tell which scenes weren't in the original is a bad thing. The worst part is that it added nothing and most of it was just pointless transition scenes that really didn't need to be there. It's funny how the cgi was made to update the film but it actual dates the film far worse than the original effects (which were amazing especially for its time)

Empire Strikes Back I'd rank all of the original films pretty closely but I think I'd give ESB the slight edge as being my favorite (it helps that this seemingly was the least fucked with out of the 3). From the onset you can tell that the production values for ESB were much better than the original. The battle on Hoth was great. It introduced Yoda, and my nigga Lando. It had some of the most iconic lines in pop culture period. This film takes everything the original did well and does it even better. Again just like the original I really don't have anything bad to say about this one at all.

Return of the Jedi Of the original 3 I'd probably say ROTJ was probably the weakest (I still really enjoyed it though). It had some great set pieces (the scene where their chasing after the scout troopers for example). However I still think overall it was a slight step down from ESB. The pointless CGI makes a return. Also Luke's ridiculously conoluted plan to rescue Han was dumb as hell. Overrall the film was still really enjoyable and a fitting end to trilogy. but what the hell is this?

The Phantom Menance Oh boy where do I start with this one. Guess I'll start by saying out of all 6 films I definitely think that this is the worst one. Now let me start with the good because I actually think there's a lot of good here. I didn't have any problems with the story itself and thought it was fine. Liam Neeson as Qui Gon Jinn was fucking fantastic. Dude single handedly carried this film, and aside from Christopher Lee I think he delivered some of the best acting out of the entire franchise. Pod racing was alright. Darth Maul was pretty fucking cool too and the fight between him Qui Gon and Obi Wan is easily my favorite fight out of the whole series.

Now for the bad. Honestly I only have 3 major issues with this film. However these issues are so massive that they just brought down the entire film for me. The first is the fucking CGI. Lucas went so overboard with the cgi and it really clashes with the aesthetic of the originals. This is the fourth film to come out but it honestly felt like the oldest because of all the 90s style cgi which dated the fuck out of the film. It honestly felt like I was watching a cartoon at some points. Second is the acting. God the acting is so fucking terrible. literally every single person in this film aside from Liam Neeson was god awful. Even Natalie Portman was bad and I know she can act. It isn't her age that's the problem as she was amazing in Leon the professional and that came out 5 years before this did. This tells me that it was the directing that was fucked up. But by far the worst piece of acting came from Jake fucking Lloyd he was atrocious. That kid had 0 business being in this film. I get that he was really young but they still could've gotten someone a few years older. Natalie Portman was a few years older than her character so I don't know why they couldn't do the same for Anakin. it also would've made their budding romance a bit less creep since she was fucking 8 years older than him. The last major issue I had was with the overall tone. It's clear that Lucas was aiming at a younger demographic with this one and that gave us the stupid slapstick comedy that permeates the film. Other minor issues I had was with Jar Jar Binks (I didn't hate him as much as other people do but he was still pretty fucking bad). Also basing a lot of the aliens in this film off of ethnic stereotypes was lazy as hell.

Attack of the Clones In my opinion this was an improvement over the previous film in every way. The acting is still bad but serviceable. A lot of people hate Hayden Christensen, but I thought he was...ok (but then again it's probably because I was just happy that I didn't have to deal with Jake Lloyd). There's still alot of CGI but it's not as bad as the previous film, and a bit of it actually does look good....at times....briefly. I did enjoy this one though and I think it had some great action scenes and some great fights as well. Also there's less Jar Jar and the tone is more aligned with the original trilogy.

Revenge of the Sith just like AOTC I think this was an improvement over the previous film in every way. The CGI isn't actually half bad...for the most part (practical effects are still king). The acting seems to have evened out quite a bit...for the most part. And tonally this is probably the darkest of the 6. I think I'd put this and AOTC equal to each other just because I liked AOTC's story a little bit better. I really liked the ending to this one and I think they tied the two sagas together well nicely (ignoring all the plotholes the prequels created of course).

Final thoughts Overall I really enjoyed all of them. The original is definitely leagues above the prequels, but I still feel they accomplished what they set out to do with them (to tell Darth Vader's origin) effectively. I think the biggest reason the prequels didn't live up to the original is because it lacked it's sense of adventure. The original had a core cast of characters who traveled together throughout all three films. the prequels really lack a core cast we could follow and instead we usually ended up following several different characters who were off doing their own thing. I will give the prequels credit in that each film was definitely an improvement over the last. Also each of the prequels had an excellent villain (Darth Maul, Count Dooku, General Grievous) who unfortunately weren't given enough screen time. If I were to rank each films it'd go

ESB >= ANH >= ROTJ > ROTS = AOTC > TPM

Next I'll keep the star wars train going and watch The Clone Wars since I've heard so many good things about it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Before you watch the CGI Clone Wars, see if you can find the 2D animated Clone Wars.

Not canon any more, but it was made by the dude who did Samurai Jack, so you know it's going to be fun.

DJMicLuv

Now you've made your own mind up it's time to watch the Plinkett prequel reviews.
It'll be good for you.
Therapeutic even.

Afrocious

Here you go OP:

Plinkett Reviews begin here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Also I think it says something that you never saw these movies at a young(er) age and still came to the general consensus of opinion over all 6 movies with Ep 5 being your favorite and Ep 1 being your most disliked for legit reasons.

And yeah, the added CGI hurt the original trilogy. By that time, I had given up asking what the hell George Lucas was trying to do with his franchise.

Before watching The Clone Wars you need to watch Harry Plinkett reviews.

Now you've made your own mind up it's time to watch the Plinkett prequel reviews.
It'll be good for you.
Therapeutic even.

Who is this Harry Plinkett you speak of?

Before you watch the CGI Clone Wars, see if you can find the 2D animated Clone Wars.

Not canon any more, but it was made by the dude who did Samurai Jack, so you know it's going to be fun.

Yeah I remember watching it as a kid on Cartoon Network and really liking it, so i'll definitely rewatch that.

You should watch the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy. They are waay better.

I wanted to, but apparently it's almost impossible to obtain them, and even if I did, it'd be the shitty VHS quality. Thanks George Lucas :(

Who is this Harry Plinkett you speak of?

Yeah I remember watching it as a kid on Cartoon Network and really liking it, so i'll definitely rewatch that.

I wanted to, but apparently it's almost impossible to obtain them, and even if I did, it'd be the shitty VHS quality. Thanks George Lucas :(

Harry Plinkett is the ultimate analsis of star trek and star wars films over at www.redlettermedia.com

ESB >= ANH >= ROTJ > ROTS = AOTC > TPM

I like where your heads at. You wanna know why ESB is the best? Because Irvin Kershner directed it. You wanna know why ROTJ is the worst of the originals? Because Irvin Kershner and George Lucas had creative differences and George won out.

I live in LA, so I'm hoping some theaters will play the originals in their proper theatrical cuts SO I CAN FINALLY SEE THEM PRE-CGI FUCKERY. Holy shit I've been waiting since childhood to see dat stop motion in Star Wars again.

What were your thoughts on Boba Fett before and after the prequels?

lol I knew I was forgetting something. I actually don't get the Bobba hype tbh. He doesn't really do anything in either ESB or ROTJ besides looking menacingly, and he has the one of the most pathetic deaths in the series. I was really disappointed by him cause I heard about all the hype and was a bit let down. I was no fan of his child actor either. That was some straight Jake Llyod level shit but luckily he wasn't in it for long.

Afrocious

lol I knew I was forgetting something. I actually don't get the Bobba hype tbh. He doesn't really do anything in either ESB or ROTJ besides looking menacingly, and he has the one of the most pathetic deaths in the series. I was really disappointing by him cause i heard about all the hype and was a bit let down. I was no fan of his child actor either. That was some straight Jake Llyod level shit but luckily he wasn't in it for long.

Yeah, I don't get how he got such a following from fans. I do like what came up in other works because of folks liking Fett as much as they did, regardless of it's canon or not.

Also, the Plinkett reviews are terrific if you want to learn how to fundamentally critique something.

Harry Plinkett is the ultimate analsis of star trek and star wars films over at www.redlettermedia.com

Word, watching it now.

I like where your heads at. You wanna know why ESB is the best? Because Irvin Kershner directed it. You wanna know why ROTJ is the worst of the originals? Because Irvin Kershner and George Lucas had creative difference and George won out.

I live in LA, so I'm hoping some theaters will play the originals in their proper theatrical cuts SO I CAN FINALLY SEE THEM PRE-CGI FUCKERY. Holy shit I've been waiting since childhood to see dat stop motion in Star Wars again.

Haha interesting. I've been looking a lot into all the background stuff and this shit is fascinating. The one thing that does stand out though is that George Lucas is a huge dick.

DJMicLuv

lol I knew I was forgetting something. I actually don't get the Bobba hype tbh. He doesn't really do anything in either ESB or ROTJ besides looking menacingly, and he has the one of the most pathetic deaths in the series. I was really disappointing by him cause i heard about all the hype and was a bit let down. I was no fan of his child actor either. That was some straight Jake Llyod level shit but luckily he wasn't in it for long.

The Boba Fett hype originally came down to one thing and one thing only. Ages before ESB Kenner offered a mail in figure from the forthcoming movie, that figure was Boba Fett, so for a lot of us it was the first thing we ever saw about ESB and he looked cool too. When the movie came out Boba Fett wasn't that big a character but was already popular was fans because they'd already had the figure for months before the movie was released. I remember mailing in and waiting what felt like forever for the figure to arrive, it must have been a good six months wait in total. Boba Fett was a bad-ass in our minds as kids before we knew anything about him. By ROTJ the Fett hype had died down so it wasn't a big deal when Solo (blind, I might add) punks Fett and has the Saarlac eat him.

The Boba Fett hype originally came down to one thing and one thing only. Ages before ESB Kenner offered a mail in figure from the forthcoming movie, that figure was Boba Fett, so for a lot of us it was the first thing we ever saw about ESB and he looked cool too. When the movie came out Boba Fett wasn't that big a character but was already popular was fans because they'd already had the figure for months before the movie was released. I remember mailing in and waiting what felt like forever for the figure to arrive, it must have been a good six months wait in total. Boba Fett was a bad-ass in our minds as kids before we knew anything about him. By ROTJ the Fett hype had died down so it wasn't a big deal when Solo (blind, I might add) punks Fett and has the Saarlac eat him.
That's part of it, but also I think people were fascinated with him because he was the only person who stood up to Vader.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Interesting, I saw all 6 films for the first time when they all hit blu-ray a few years back, so just like OP I had no nostalgia glasses on while watching.

My ranking is quite a bit different:

Revenge of the Sith > Empire Strike Back > A New Hope > Attack of the Clones > Phantom Menace > Return of the Jedi

ROTJ was offensively bad, and ROTS & ESB tower above the other 4 films. I also couldn't believe how pathetic Boba Fett turned out to be, after how much I had heard from the fanbase how "cool" of a character he is. Jar Jar is also awful, I noticed they gave him almost 0 screentime and speaking lines in the 2 films after PM, assuming the public must have had a real problem with him (from what I remember he was seen as a racist stereotype).

Yep, excluding all that rape shit.

?

That makes a lot of sense actually.

That's part of it, but also I think people were fascinated with him because he was the only person who stood up to Vader.

Yeah I can see that.

Interesting, I saw all 6 films for the first time when they all hit blu-ray a few years back, so just like OP I had no nostalgia glasses on while watching.

Revenge of the Sith > Empire Strike Back > A New Hope > Attack of the Clones > Phantom Menace > Return of the Jedi

ROTJ was offensively bad, and ROTS & ESB tower above the other 4 films. I also couldn't believe how pathetic Boba Fett turned out to be, after how much I had heard from the fanbase how "cool" of a character he is. Jar Jar is also awful, I noticed they gave him almost 0 screentime and speaking lines in the 2 films after PM, assuming the public must have had a real problem with him (from what I remember he was seen as a racist stereotype).

ROTS was probably the best out of the Prequels but idk if I'd put it anywhere near the originals. I completely agree about Bobba, and I thought the same think regarding Jar Jar's lack of presence in the later films. Also ROTJ was as good as the previous two, but TPM was straight offensive lol.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yes, that's certainly different.

lol I knew I was forgetting something. I actually don't get the Bobba hype tbh. He doesn't really do anything in either ESB or ROTJ besides looking menacingly, and he has the one of the most pathetic deaths in the series. I was really disappointed by him cause I heard about all the hype and was a bit let down. I was no fan of his child actor either. That was some straight Jake Llyod level shit but luckily he wasn't in it for long.
Good man.

Afrocious

You know, apart from maybe switching Clones with Menace, this is actually pretty similar to my feelings as well. Good for you OP, now just gotta wait until December comes around.

Expect the atmosphere on EP7's release to be exactly like this - for better or worse.

Yeah...I got friends who believe the movie won't suck at all. I feel the potential is there and I'm definitely going to a midnight viewing if I can, but I should probably watch something of JJ Abrhams. From what I understand, he's okay at best.

Unlike some folks in many threads on this board, I'd rather not settle with mediocrity - especially if I'm going to stay my ass in a line for a midnight viewing.

I seriously think I've only seen the prequels once each, but I've watched the Plinkett reviews like, five times.

Holy shit. I never noticed that I've done the same.

Ah fuck, I think I know how I'm going to spend my friday night :/

*begins Ep 1 - Part 1 for the millionth time*

DJMicLuv

He looked cool as fuck too. I mean compare him to Dengar, IG-88 and Bossk, bunch of fucking muppets next to the likes of Fett. His presence is really cool too, when they show him just silently checking shit out on Bespin, he was a cool looking and cool acting character really so I suppose that added a lot to it. He did die a punk's death. I'd be down for a Boba Fett spin off movie though, retroactively explaining away the Tatooine incident or something, he deserves more than he got I think. One of the most iconic secondary character designs in the series. Slave 1 was pretty sweet too.

You know, apart from maybe switching Clones with Menace, this is actually pretty similar to my feelings as well. Good for you OP, now just gotta wait until December comes around.

Expect the atmosphere on EP7's release to be exactly like this - for better or worse.

Man that must've sucked so much. All that hype for that movie and it ended up the way it did.

Yeah...I got friends who believe the movie won't suck at all. I feel the potential is there and I'm definitely going to a midnight viewing if I can, but I should probably watch something of JJ Abrhams. From what I understand, he's okay at best.

Unlike some folks in many threads on this board, I'd rather not settle with mediocrity - especially if I'm going to stay my ass in a line for a midnight viewing.

I've seen a bit of his work, he's pretty good. Nothing spectacular but they could've chosen worse. Also that trailer, and how he's insisting on using more practical effects gives me faith.

Afrocious

He looked cool as fuck too. I mean compare him to Dengar, IG-88 and Bossk, bunch of fucking muppets next to the likes of Fett. His presence is really cool too, when they show him just silently checking shit out on Bespin, he was a cool looking and cool acting character really so I suppose that added a lot to it. He did die a punk's death. I'd be down for a Boba Fett spin off movie though, retroactively explaining away the Tatooine incident or something, he deserves more than he got I think. One of the most iconic secondary character designs in the series. Slave 1 was pretty sweet too.

Like I said, IMO the best stuff I've seen concerning Boba Fett is the whole idea of Mandalorians - another human(?) race of warriors that just wreck shit left and right. They're the reason KOTOR 1 happens.

Cormano

Agree with you OP.

CGI in the prequels looks so dated, and theres a lot of Christensen hate around here, but a lot of the bad acting is due to even worse directing and having all the actors talk or look at a freaking green screen.

DJMicLuv

Man that must've sucked so much. All that hype for that movie and it ended up the way it did.

I was there day one with all my Star Wars buddies who grew up together on the force. When the theme started the place was filled with fans thrashing around lighted sabres and cheering, there were a lot of Tusken Raider calls too and a few excited wookies. Absolute chaos. By the end of the movie the lightsabres were dimmed and not even a mournful Ootini was uttered. Oh, we tried to put a brave face on it...maybe if we saw it again it'd be better,,,but it never was. It was a sad day for the rebellion.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the new movie but I'll never let myself be as hyped again as I was for Episode 1.

Agree with you OP.

CGI in the prequels looks so dated, and theres a lot of Christensen hate around here, but a lot of the bad acting is due to even worse directing and having all the actors talk or look at a freaking green screen.

Yup.

I was there day one with all my Star Wars buddies who grew up together on the force. When the theme started the place was filled with fans thrashing around lighted sabres and cheering, there were a lot of Tusken Raider calls too and a few excited wookies. Absolute chaos. By the end of the movie the lightsabres were dimmed and not even a mournful Ootini was uttered. Oh, we tried to put a brave face on it...maybe if we saw it again it'd be better,,,but it never was. It was a sad day for the rebellion.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the new movie but I'll never let myself be as hyped again as I was for Episode 1.

:(

JTripper

I just watched Episode 2 again after years of not seeing any Star Wars movies. I plan on watching the rest (Ep. 3 and the Original Trilogy) before TFA releases.

Attack of the Clones is definitely better than Phantom, but there are a lot of dumb moments in the story and writing that make the characters uninteresting (mostly Anakin and Padme). There are surprisingly some beautiful establishing shots in the film though. But for every example of some nice visuals, there are a few CGI failures that probably follow.

The biggest reason why I like AotC over Phantom is that it's plot is actually relevant to the larger Star Wars canon in relation to the original trilogy. Phantom's only significance seems to be introducing Anakin and making Qui-Gon look cool. That Trade Federation plot was boring as fuck. Other than that, Phantom is pretty pointless. One thing I noticed is that Darth Maul has kind of become the prequel's Boba Fett (I mean that in the most inoffensive way to Boba Fett as possible). A cool concept that never really goes anywhere and we don't see him develop, and he dies way before we learn anything about him. But again, Boba is loved because he's a weird, cool inclusion in a trilogy we loved, which is why he's endured. Kind of a cult character. Maul is kind of the same thing, except he's used as a main villain with no history or development in a movie we all pretty much dislike, which damages any intrigue his character might have going on.

Gravidee

Keep in mind that the movie and season 1 of The Clone Wars are a little rough around the edges, but it's one of those series that really improve as it goes along. Some episodes also may not be in chronological order but it's pretty easy to figure out which ones.

Here's a neat trailer that encompasses the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06S3f_dGPdY

Plinkett Plinkett Plinkett

Plinkett plinkett plinkett plinkett plinkett.

Plinkett? Plinkett plinkett, Plinkett, plinkett faaaaaaaaaaace. Plinkett! Plinkett plinkett plinkett, plinkett. Plinkett plinkett Pizza Roll.

Also, where'd you find that weird, half-assed Star Wars poster? You got all the other ones right, but you opened with some goofy remix of Struzan's Special Edition poster that fucks up Leia's face.

StarWarsMoviePoster1977.jpg

I just watched Episode 2 again after years of not seeing any Star Wars movies. I plan on watching the rest (Ep. 3 and the Original Trilogy) before TFA releases.

Attack of the Clones is definitely better than Phantom, but there are a lot of dumb moments in the story and writing that make the characters uninteresting (mostly Anakin and Padme). There are surprisingly some beautiful establishing shots in the film though. But for every example of some nice visuals, there are a few CGI failures that probably follow.

The biggest reason why I like AotC over Phantom is that it's plot is actually relevant to the larger Star Wars canon in relation to the original trilogy. Phantom's only significance seems to be introducing Anakin and making Qui-Gon look cool. That Trade Federation plot was boring as fuck. Other than that, Phantom is pretty pointless. One thing I noticed is that Darth Maul has kind of become the prequel's Boba Fett (I mean that in the most inoffensive way to Boba Fett as possible). A cool concept that never really goes anywhere and we don't see him develop, and he dies way before we learn anything about him. But again, Boba is loved because he's a weird, cool inclusion in a trilogy we loved, which is why he's endured. Kind of a cult character. Maul is kind of the same thing, except he's used as a main villain with no history or development in a movie we all pretty much dislike, which damages any intrigue his character might have going on.

Yeah, the whole trade federation plot was convoluted as fuck. Which is ironic considering TPM is supposed to be the most kid friendly out of all of them.

At this point I only like 4 and 5.

The rest can eat a bag of dicks.

Lol is 6 really that hated? I agree that it's the weakest of the originals, but I don't think it was that bad. Was it the Ewoks?

Afrocious

^Yeah folks say I should check out the first new Star Trek movie when talking about Abrhams. However, I get mixed feedback. People suggest I watch it because it's a good sci-fi movie, and others recommend it because it's a good movie in itself.

My problem is that Star Trek and Star Wars have always been entirely different beasts and both are awesome. The issue is that a good Star Trek/Star Wars movie may not mean the same person can make a good movie of the other franchise.

denx

Try watching the movies in the flashback order: 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. Best Star Wars watching experience imo.

^Yeah folks say I should check out the first new Star Trek movie when talking about Abrhams. However, I get mixed feedback. People suggest I watch it because it's a good sci-fi movie, and others recommend it because it's a good movie in itself.

My problem is that Star Trek and Star Wars have always been entirely different beasts and both are awesome. The issue is that a good Star Trek/Star Wars movie may not mean the same person can make a good movie of the other franchise.

all i know is it was the first Star Trek anything that I liked when I saw it. Trekkies told me that I liked it because it was more Star Wars than Star Trek.

Yeah I've been holding off on his Star Trek movvies as well. I've heard so much mixed things about it. Guess I should just bite the bullet then and decide for myself.

Before the Prequels showed up, Jedi was the one that ate all the shit.

Well damn, lol.

Yes, you should watch both Star Trek '09, and Star Trek Into Darkness. Just jump into it. No real reason not to, you just poured Episodes I & II willingly into your face.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Yeah, it's still a great sci-fi film but I understand your concern. If it matters though, JJ is admittedly a huge SW fan much more than Trek. In fact, I think he barely watched the original Trek (which kinda explains the ire of the people who didn't like his take on it), so if he can churn out a good ST film while not being invested in it that much then that makes me excited for what he has in store of Episode VII.

Also, here's the ST '09 trailer, because I just fucking love this trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom