• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Subnautica

nkarafo

Picked this because i liked the idea of exploring underwater and had this on my backlog.

I was expecting a lot of exploring and a nice atmosphere. I got that. What i wasn't expecting was a superb crafting system that allows you to build a whole base and design the interiors as you like using a ton of different objects.

I also wasn't expecting a persistent world that remembers the location of each small object that you drop or move. I played a few games like that (PREY and System Shock 2) but Subnautica is of a much larger scale and remembers more stuff.

As a result, i can't stop playing. Send help.

The only issue is it's engine though. Graphically is fine, the water effects are some of the best and structures, vehicles, etc, look great. but there is an awful pop-in everywhere you go and the performance is crap, even on very powerful systems. In my case i get sub 30fps dips with the CPU and GPU floating around 40-60%, almost never using the system's full potential. That means the game engine itself can't cope with all the information i suppose. Plus, the save files are huge and can be corrupted (or so i heard) so i always keep backups.

Great game though. Are there any similar ones?

Last edited:

stranno

You can try the Subnautica before Subnautica. It was called Far Sky and, unfortunately, it was abandoned by his author after the first version.

He did pretty much the same with his second game, Sky Break, tho this one received a few more updates.

Similar games ... you can try Raft (latest updates have more underwater stuff) or Stranded Deep. Bermuda: Lost Survival could be the closest thing.

Bigrx1

Banned
I've played a lot of survival games, Subnautica may be my favorite also it really captured me. You may like some others as well there are a lot and they can be played single player also if someone wants to. Ark was pretty fun and the world is very large and fun to explore. Conan Exiles is pretty similar to Ark and has had tons of updates also at this point. Personally I really like Citadel: Forged with Fire it's my second favorite after Subnautica but the servers aren't very busy. It's more fantasy themed and just had a pretty big update.

Last edited:

GHG

It doesn't need to be underwater, just similar in gameplay and crafting/survival systems.

I just bought this on Steam a couple of days ago (not played it yet) but it seems to be a strong recommendation for fans of Subnautica.

I'll probably get started with it this weekend.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't even like survival games, but I couldn't stop playing it either. And yes the engine was a freaking nightmare I spent a lot of time cursing that under-performing buggy mess, but the game and story were so addicting I put up with it.

Bigrx1

Banned

I just bought this on Steam a couple of days ago (not played it yet) but it seems to be a strong recommendation for fans of Subnautica.

didn't know about this one after looking into it I'll likely get it too.

ebevan91

I beat Subnautica in 2018 and then what I could in Below Zero like 5 minutes ago. I think they're rewriting the story.

Thanati

The VR version of this is amazing. Love it!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I loved the sense of foreboding and mystery this game sustains... it feels much more compelling as a consequence, compared to any other game I've known in the genre.

I should try the VR setup again, but for me it had very poor performance originally; all kinds of stutters and issues, significantly worse implementation than just about any VR game or mod that I've played. Perhaps they improved it, or it just takes time to fiddle with settings?

EDIT: perhaps this project will help? I'll try it sometime soon and see https://github.com/Okabintaro/SubmersedVR

Last edited:

violence

Subnautica is the only survival game that has captured me. Not even No man’s sky or even Subnautica below zero held my attention.

Subnautica was described as an unintentional horror game? It really evoked some primal emotions in me. The ocean is scary at night.

Last edited:

Boneless

I loved the sense of foreboding and mystery this game sustains... it feels much more compelling as a consequence, compared to any other game I've known in the genre.

I should try the VR setup again, but for me it had very poor performance originally; all kinds of stutters and issues, significantly worse implementation than just about any VR game or mod that I've played. Perhaps they improved it, or it just takes time to fiddle with settings?

EDIT: perhaps this project will help? I'll try it sometime soon and see https://github.com/Okabintaro/SubmersedVR

I dont have VR, but cruising around in the ocean instanty made me think: "this game could be perfect for VR".

yeah ! I keep wanting to play it , I have it on Ps5 and Pc and I started it but never really played it , I want to go full VR on it but I'm just to lazy these days!

Top Bottom