• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Promised Neverland, a manga you must read

How can I start this? This manga is something else. I've read plenty of mangas, and this gotta be one of the best written.

The story resolves around 3 orphans, who happen to be really clever and smart:

Emma
emma-the-promised-neverland-120568.jpg

Norman
323859.jpg

Ray
latest

They are growing in a house with other 32 orphans of varying age and background, and they are taken care of by a woman, who they call "mother". The bond between everyone in there is strong, they consider themselves a family.
The life in the orphanage is, to say something, simple. They are required to do the chores and help around the house. They also have daily exams, and after all that, they are free to play in the field.
The orphanage grounds extend far and wide, but there are 2 places that are forbidden to the kids; the gate which is the entrance to the orphanage, and the other side of a fence in the forest that surrounds the house.

It sounds kind of boring, don't you think? Well, I'd like to tell you what happens next, but it would be a massive spoiler and would kill the "build up". But I can tell you this "once it hooks you up, it won't let you go away" It's is so well written, that I was in awe at how good it was for a manga. Heck, not only that, the art style is gorgeous, too!

I really wish I could write more, but, it would really be a massive spoiler and could ruin your time with it, The twist is just too good to spoil it. So, go, read it, you won't regret it.

This and Gintama are probably the most consistently satisfying manga in Shonen Jump now. Genuinely amazed at how this series subverts my expectations nearly each and every time.

Moaradin

It has been great and such a breath of fresh air when it comes to Shonen Jump manga. Really glad that it seems to be selling really well.

gngf123

This is probably my favourite ongoing series in Shounen Jump right now, alongside My Hero Academia. It's great.

It's a great series and one I rightly predicted would do well from the start (despite so many people thinking for some reason that a psychological thriller would never work in the magazine that gave us Death Note lol)

Also I don't think telling people the first chapter twist that's crucial to the premise would be that big a deal since it becomes clear super quickly that something is off about the orphanage

One thing I would complain about is that the art can be a bit wonky at times, and tends to be kind of mediocre (outside of color pages for some reason which tend to look much nicer)

Not

Banned
Eleven year olds. This is giving me Ender's Game vibes.

Why would Mama cut Ray's hair like that and no one else's

Narroo

It's a great series and one I rightly predicted would do well from the start (despite so many people thinking for some reason that a psychological thriller would never work in the magazine that gave us Death Note lol)

Also I don't think telling people the first chapter twist that's crucial to the premise would be that big a deal since it becomes clear super quickly that something is off about the orphanage

It started off pretty 'meh' for the first few chapters. A bit predictable and blunt. After a few chapters it began picking up quite quickly though.

Arkeband

Banned
For a while it was getting very tedious because these are 6 to 12(?) year olds making deductions like they're baby geniuses. But then the story actually delivered on its build-up and now it's (mostly) completely different.

I will say though that the art is fucking atrocious at times. Attack on Titan's mangaka got criticized for his sloppy, thick lines - this is on a whole other level.

For a while it was getting very tedious because these are 6 to 12(?) year olds making deductions like they're baby geniuses. But then the story actually delivered on its build-up and now it's (mostly) completely different.

I will say though that the art is fucking atrocious at times. Attack on Titan's mangaka got criticized for his sloppy, thick lines - this is on a whole other level.

I never found it to be atrocious. It's quite charming.

This is leagues above AoT. Are you nuts? Whenever I see criticisms of the artwork, I think of them like people who criticize One Piece and can't separate their dislike of a style from their judgement of the mangaka's artistic ability

Pozuka Demizu's style is glorious. Those colourspreads and the cover volumes are beautiful, and her style works perfect with the setting and story.

This manga is really interesting, go read it guys!

Wamb0wneD

Don't like the art itself that much but the story is going strong indeed. I'm glad I got something to look foward to manga wise besides one piece. Seven Deadly Sins is slacking.

Not

Banned
The art is great, and it's only getting better.

You guys think artists are only "good" if their style is consistent. Shouldn't be the case.

Veelk

Banned
For a while it was getting very tedious because these are 6 to 12(?) year olds making deductions like they're baby geniuses.

Yeah, I totally get you. I have the same problems understanding the premise of stuff like star wars.

They have these dudes wielding glowing swords of light like they're magic space knights or something.

aravuus

I hated it. Was pretty excited to check it out and it started out very promising, but I quickly found myself rolling my eyes too much to care. I just can't agree with the praise its writing in particular is getting in any way. Finally dropped it around the time
they managed to escape the orphanage
iirc.

The art was interesting. I don't think it was bad per se and the artist can come up with some pretty damn good reaction faces, but it lost all its punch due to overusage of the same tricks and things, if that makes any sense. Particularly those reaction faces.

Yeah, I totally get you. I have the same problems understanding the premise of stuff like star wars.

They have these dudes wielding glowing swords of light like they're magic space knights or something.

Erm

Yep, I agree, this is a must read!!

Also for those that are unaware of it, the first volume comes out in December, so keep an eye out for it.

Ascheroth

One thing I would complain about is that the art can be a bit wonky at times, and tends to be kind of mediocre (outside of color pages for some reason which tend to look much nicer)

The art is great. I mean you can dislike the artstyle, that's fair enough. It's pretty 'loose', especially the character art at times, but objectively speaking Pozuka Demizu is a fantastic artist.
Just look at those color pages.

Not

Banned
When
Musica and Sung-Joo rescue them and feed them
it reminds me of something out of Tolkien

Linkura

The art is great. I mean you can dislike the artstyle, that's fair enough. It's pretty 'loose', especially the character art at times, but objectively speaking Pozuka Demizu is a fantastic artist.
Just look at those color pages.

There are some panels that get really fucking sloppy-looking. Not that it matters, I still love this manga.

Thud

It gave me a bit of the cage of eden vibe.

I would say it works best as weekly suspense. Definitely one of the most engrossing reads I read in a while.

Burbeting

Banned
The manga is very good, but I do feel the story has
become weaker after the first arc ended. Bit more predictable and boring.
The artist also has so far shown black character(s) in bit stereotypical manner.

Spoiler isn't really one, but I tagged it just in case.

LotusHD

Banned
The artist also has so far shown black character(s) in bit stereotypical manner.

This is actually something that made me hold off on trying it out for a good long awhile, because on the surface it was not a good look at all

But after actually reading it, imo, it doesn't hold much weight, due to the fact that those type of faces aren't exclusive to that character, as well as the arc for said character.

I get you when it comes to that character. I felt the same way, until the backstory. Then it all changed (that, and patterns in the characters).

Also, c'mon, the new arc has just begun! The premise of it is amazing! Can't fucking wait to see what happens next

Chase17

Yeah, I've been enjoying the series a lot. There's like a 7-8 chapter stretch towards the end of the
orphanage arc
where each chapter ends on a great cliffhanger. Fun series to read.

FluxWaveZ

It's become a manga about mind games and psychological warfare to a survival story. I preferred the former; hopefully the latter holds up.

Reminds me of what happened to Prison School after the first arc ended.

Not

Banned
I don't like the tendency by manga readers to judge a series by "arcs" and arcs alone apparently. Like, would you break a novel into "arcs?" Let the story be told. Out of a lot of other manga I've read it seems like these authors know what they're doing

I got enough of the
prison break story. When they broke out it was refreshing and just at the right time to be completely satisfying. A good sign that there's a lot more to this story than just smart kids outsmarting people.

FluxWaveZ

I don't like the tendency by manga readers to judge a series by "arcs" and arcs alone apparently. Like, would you break a novel into "arcs?" Let the story be told. Out of a lot of other manga I've read it seems like these authors know what they're doing

I got enough of the
prison break story. When they broke out it was refreshing and just at the right time to be completely satisfying. A good sign that there's a lot more to this story than just smart kids outsmarting people.

I don't see the issue. Novels are broken into chapters. Shows are broken into seasons. There are clear delineations to the progression of a narrative. So it's easier to refer to those lines in manga by "arcs." And some people prefer certain parts of a story to others.

I got enough of the

This.. to a degree.

Top Bottom