• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Wire. Is it as good as everyone says it is? SHHHEEEEEEEiiiiiit

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So, I just got through binge watching all 5 seasons of The Wire on HBO Max. I liked it a lot. While the drama wasn't super high like in some shows, the consistency in the writing and acting made every episode matter. I compare it to a show like Breaking Bad like this: Breaking Bad had higher highs. When it was at it's best it was better than anything else that was out there at the time or what came before it. But, The Wire didn't have long ass shots of Walt Jr eating breakfast either. It was consistently good. Here's the breakdown of what I thought about the show (oh and, duh, SPOILERS):

* Writing was top notch. With a few rare exceptions I felt like it was the most natural realistic dialogue ever produced by a television writer. It always went for the realistic over the dramatic or pitch perfect line. Speaking of the writers, at one point actually thought the show was a lot like that old show Homicide. Come to find out, it was the same lead writer on both shows!
* The setting was again- realistic. Almost to a fault, really. I've never lived in a ghetto, but I do a lot of volunteer work in many apartment complexes and lower income residential areas and boy, do they nail the look and feel. I tell you one thing, it makes me never want to live in Baltimore.
* Had almost all the diversity boxes checked without being woke. And the irony of it is that in today's climate, I don't think a show like The Wire wouldn't make it past the first season without being "canceled".

* I think the other key to this show's quality is that it made you care about all the characters even the B stories and one-off characters. I actually felt bad for Wallace's death (first season). In fact there were so many deaths and so many of them happened so nonchalantly that I kept saying, "Just PLEASE don't kill off Bubs or Dookie." And even the non-cop related stories like all the stuff that happened at Presbo's school or the Baltimore Sun were well thought out and intriguing. In fact, I'd watch a show like The Wire except have them follow teachers or journalists around instead of cops.

* Omar is a fucking badass. Maybe the most badass homosexual to ever be written in a TV show. Guy jumps out of a six story window and SURVIVES. He robbed from the most notorious gangstas in Baltimore. He was like a capitalistic Robin Hood. Rob from the rich to give to himself! LOL. ...and then he gets done in by a 9 year old -- because The Wire.
* McNolty is an asshole. But, Stringer was a bigger asshole. Stringer was the only character that I was glad to see him get what was coming to him.
*I like that even though the cops had issues and often times stabbed each other in the back, with the exception of Walker, all of the cops had mostly honest reasons for doing what they did. Again, because it's realistic.

* I read that the Baltimore Sun scenes were extremely realistic with one critic saying it's the only TV show to ever get the working environment of print journalists right. Well, I can't attest to that, but I was a teacher at an inner city school and I CAN say without a doubt, the absolutely nailed that environment.
*Anyone else wonder if the writers thought they wouldn't go beyond season 3? It felt like season 3 wrapped up everything in a nice bow. Barksdale is back in prison, McNolty stops being an asshole and settles down, Presbo ends up as a teacher, and so on. Felt like they saw the ratings, locked the writers and director into a room and forced them to come up with two more seasons.
*Marlo should have died. What a freakin weirdo that guy was. Stringer Bell he was not.

Oh and, here's a fun drinking game: Take a shot every time Daniels stands up and buttons his suit jacket.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Still my favorite series. The writing is top-notch. 5th season was a bit less.
2nd season the best

K1Expwy

Is there a reason to watch season 5 if I haven't already?
It's one of those shows that are high quality but not necessarily "entertaining" due to the weight of the subject matter

Kadayi

Banned
First few seasons are really good, but it definitely goes off the deep end in the later seasons (esp 5) and perhaps got a little too self-congratulatory in the process.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Is there a reason to watch season 5 if I haven't already?
It's one of those shows that are high quality but not necessarily "entertaining" due to the weight of the subject matter
There’s an entertaining thread in that season involving a made-up serial killer but that’s about it. It sticks to the realism so much that there’s absolutely no climax- no build up and therefore no payoff.

buizel

Banned
Loved it, a great series that felt almost like a documentary as much as a drama.
To me it's much watch tv, because it never insults its viewers

Huh? I see people mentioned it and it's always on my 'to watch ' list. maybe i got this confused with some other cop thing and gave up. i like how you describe it documentary like

pr0cs

Huh? I see people mentioned it and it's always on my 'to watch ' list. maybe i got this confused with some other cop thing and gave up. i like how you describe it documentary like
It's a slow burn, and I will be honest I started it and didn't make it half way thru the first season before skipping it.
A year or so later picked it up again and got hooked. The story unfolds slowly, it's not some high stakes, high impact constant action show. It does have some pretty exciting sections but overall it's a measured approach to inner city crime which is what eventually made it good, to me at least.

There are no Mary Sue characters, all of the characters have flaws and strengths, and the show doesn't insult you by holding your hand and say "see, he's a bad guy".
Sadly tv now is so neutered, so bland because people are so accustomed to super hero shit where everything is black and white

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I read that the Baltimore Sun scenes were extremely realistic with one critic saying it's the only TV show to ever get the working environment of print journalists right.

The guy who created the show worked as a reporter for the Baltimore Sun, so it's not surprising those scenes were realistic. He also wrote the book "Homicide: Life on the Street" was based on.

Anyone else wonder if the writers thought they wouldn't go beyond season 3?
Season 5 is bad and I'll die on that hill.

Season 4 was decent, but I agree... Season 5 wasn't great.

Seasons 1-4 are incredibly realistic and believable, but season 5 just goes off the rails.

That said, given the media bias we're currently seeing and what we've seen over the past 4 years, I may need to watch Season 5 again.

Super Mario

Banned
Solid show. Realistic. Solid characters. I would not place it as my favorite show ever though. Something misses that mark for me.

TTOOLL

My favorite TV show next to The Office. It’s pretty much perfect.

The setting was again- realistic. Almost to a fault, really. I've never lived in a ghetto, but I do a lot of volunteer work in many apartment complexes and lower income residential areas and boy, do they nail the look and feel. I tell you one thing, it makes me never want to live in Baltimore.

It is, because they literally filmed in the streets of Baltimore. They even said they found real vials during filming. Actors were confused with real junks etc. They went all in.

You should read the books now.

Anyone else wonder if the writers thought they wouldn't go beyond season 3? It felt like season 3 wrapped up everything in a nice bow. Barksdale is back in prison, McNolty stops being an asshole and settles down, Presbo ends up as a teacher, and so on. Felt like they saw the ratings, locked the writers and director into a room and forced them to come up with two more seasons.

It was the opposite, the show almost got cancelled a lot of times. They had to fight to keep it going.
They didn’t plan to finish it by season 3. They had the rest all planned. Thanks to it we have Season 4, which hasn’t been topped yet.
I agree season 5 is the weak link

Last edited:

trikster40

Finished watching the entire series recently myself. Loved the first few seasons, season 5 got a bit weird with the serial killer angle. Kinda wish they had stuck with the “new case every season” like they did with season 2 instead of going back to the drug game with barksdale/marlo.

DKehoe

One of the GOATs but it's a massive let down how this grounded series ended with an elaborate far-fetched serial killer hoax.

I took it being far fetched to be sort of the point. There was an interview with David Simon where he talked about the reason season 5 was focused on the media was to ask "if everything we have said about society so far is true, then why is no one doing anything?" And the answer is people don't give a shit about that sort of thing unless there's some outlandish hook to it like some serial killer plot you'd see on a typical police show. The media didn't care about reporting on the stuff from before, the police weren't properly funded for the stuff that happened before. McNulty making up the serial killer changed that.

TTOOLL

Finished watching the entire series recently myself. Loved the first few seasons, season 5 got a bit weird with the serial killer angle. Kinda wish they had stuck with the “new case every season” like they did with season 2 instead of going back to the drug game with barksdale/marlo.

That’s intentional, it shows how everything is connected since the beginning. It’s one big story with layers being revealed each season.

I was very lttp to The Wire but rate it as the best TV I've seen. Season 5 was a little weak though.

I watched Breaking Bad and found that, ultimately, none of the characters are likeable in the end. The Wire succeeds in retaining the viewer's empathy - mostly.

I'd rate Narcos as the next best thing to watch. Narcos Mexico is also very good, but not quite up there with Escobar and the Cali Cartel.

Last edited:
"GOT DEM WMDs!"
Tc2dX.gif

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I was very lttp to The Wire but rate it as the best TV I've seen. Season 5 was a little weak though.

I watched Breaking Bad and found that, ultimately, none of the characters are likeable in the end. The Wire succeeds in retaining the viewer's empathy - mostly.

I'd rate Narcos as the next best thing to watch. Narcos Mexico is also very good, but not quite up there with Escobar and the Cali Cartel.
What’s funny is that the characters you’re not suppose to like at the beginning end up being the ones you like at the end. Or are at least sympathetic toward. Speaking specifically of Jessie and Skylar. Also, Mike is likeable. Hank wasn’t too bad.

Everyone else can die in a fire though.

Top Bottom