• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Voltron (Netflix)

Fbh

Some spoilers ahead

10e54b0ac5615fa44accaed37e994214c4294b4207805b109701c20364e56a2f.jpg

I don't have a lot of memories of the original Voltron. It's a show I remember watching but that didn't really leave a lasting impression on me (unlike Power Rangers, DragonBall, Ninja Turtles, Gargoyles, etc).
Maybe it's because of this that when Netflix announced they were making a new Voltron I didn't really care and I pretty much just ignored it.

Jump forward to a few weeks ago and while I was bored on a Sunday evening I remembered reading a few posts on GAF saying the new voltron is pretty good, so I decided to give it a chance.

Holy Shit!!!, It's soooo good. It's, for me, like Last Airbender levels of good.
The animation, the (mostly) fun and likable characters, the world, even the action is fantastic.

This could have so easily just been the average and generic animated show with the bad guy of the week and slow pacing and lots of filler episodes, but it isn't.
Yeah, there is more than one "bad guy/monster of the week" but even than it always feels like it's advancing the plot and at the same time building and expanding the world and characters. Even while fighting the bad guy of the week they are revealing interesting new locations, or introducing new characters or gaining new powers. And almost all of it remains relevant to the overall plot. They don't just meet a new race that's never mentioned again, they become a part of the world and are present in future episodes.

The characters and team dynamics are great too. From Shiro growing into his role as the leader to Lance who, while remaining as the comic relief character, grows and matures over the seasons. Or how great is Pidge? I was afraid she would become all girly once she reveals that she is a girl, but nope, she keeps being the lovable nerdy member of the team. Or in this last season when Shiro comes back they could have easily made some generic power struggle with Keith but instead Keith feels disappointed in his lack of ability to lead while Shiro tries to find a new place in the team.
Hunk is the only low point. Doesn't really add anything and is easily the most one dimensional character in the show. He is fat, likes food and is a bit of a coward, that's basically all there has been to the character since chapter one and nothing has changed

The world itself is also great. The writers and artists behind this have taken advantage of the concept and setting to put a lot of creativity into the world. From the planet sized living creature that is the balmera, to the former shady black marker that has turned into a mall or the planet with a geiser erupting everywhere you step on. It seems like it's constantly introducing new and unique worlds in a way that's only possible through animation (or a giant TV CGI budget):

voltron-screencap-depths.jpg

Love how not every planer is just round.

Animation is also fantastic , Studio Mir keeps showing how great they are. Everything looks fluid and nice. Action in particular is really well animated with some good choreography.
In recent times I've been annoyed by some action based animations (anime in particular) because it often feels like the fact that animating fights is expensive and time consuming results in the team trying to slow down the pacing or shorten fights and we end up with a supposedly action based show with 3 chapters of bad filler dialogue and bad pacing because they can't afford to animate too much action.
Not so here, action is frequent and always looks great. Even the scenes with Voltron who is made using somewhat ugly CGI are great thanks to the enjoyable battles and good animation

tenor.gif

I'd like to have some good Gifs here but couldn't find any in a quick google search

So yeah. Love this show and I'm looking forward to Season 4 which is coming soon.
Anyone else like it?

PS:
Netflix I fucking now it's a kids show. But can you please stop automatically switching over to the Spanish dub after every single episode or every time I start a new episode from the main menu? I watched some of both and just prefer the english voice acting. THX

Also bonus points for the Gurren Lagan reference in S3

sol_bad

I've watched the first 15 episode, basically up to episode 5 of season 2. I don't like it and I'm disappointed that I don't like it. People complain about Kevin Smith He-Man not having He-Man for the majority of its first 5 eps but this barely ever has Voltron formed in it. Like I said, 15 episodes in and he has fought 3 robeasts and 1 giant cube.

I watched Voltaren as a kid so I expect a new Robeast every episode darn it! Even outside the giant robot stuff, I'm not finding anything interesting about the team dynamics or relationships.

Even if it gets better I'm not motivated to keep going.
:(

Kev Kev

I loved it. One of the best shows I’ve watched in a long time. It got epic toward the end. And I love how the story paid off.

good shit. I highly recommend it , especially if you enjoyed the last air bender

Last edited:
Top Bottom