• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

My favorite thing about both Danganronpa and Zero Escape is how hardcore fans immediately scream at every newcomer "DON'T PLAY/WATCH THE FINALE IT SUCKS SO MUCH DON'T DO IT SEE YA", making sure s/he won't be able to form their own opinions and are instead instantly as jaded as they are, even without playing/watching them themselves. Reminds me of Undertale in that those fans also didn't want to allow anyone ever to actually form their own opinion and play stuff themselves, instead telling every newcomer exactly what they must and what the absolutely mustn't play.

Yeah this was kind of the trap I was wanting to avoid going into this thread. Which is why I'm still definitely going to play it and am going to try to keep an open mind about it as well.

Hm. I kind of felt that's when the game turned into crap. Luna ending was the highlight, everything after that was terrible.

Still a great game overall.

Luna ending was fantastic as well. But it was just nice finally having a stream of answers being given out. Plus there were a couple of amazing answer as well being given out during that period.

SilentRob

Yeah this was kind of the trap I was wanting to avoid going into this thread. Which is why I'm still definitely going to play it and am going to try to keep an open mind about it as well.

That's the right mindset for sure :) I was lucky enough to play the game a few days before release so I was able to go in without knowing anything. If you enjoyed VLR and its crazy story, you are probably also going to have a good time with ZTD. You can't resolve a story as batshit insane (and, yeah, at times borderline nonsensical) as VLR's without a few jumps in logic. There are more than enough of those in VLR already, anyway^^

What I really loved about ZTD: It get's to the point. VLR is SO long that it re-explains itself a few dozen times too often. Don't misunderstand me, I love the game, playing it for a third time right now, but due to the different presentation in ZTD they were kinda forced to cut the bullshit and I loved that.

Enjoyed reading your LTTP and reliving some of that stuff, hopefully you're going to come back for ZTD!

ZTD is a game with great ideas and some flawed execution; which after VLR can be somewhat of a let down. It was certainly rushed to some extent, and I feel like they tried to do a bit more with the budget than they really should have.

It's an 8/10 vs the other two getting 10/10 for me.

GamerJM

Banned
If you enjoyed VLR and its crazy story, you are probably also going to have a good time with ZTD. You can't resolve a story as batshit insane (and, yeah, at times borderline nonsensical) as VLR's without a few jumps in logic. There are more than enough of those in VLR already, anyway^^

I'll be honest, as someone who really likes ZTD I'm not sure if this is really being fair. Without going into too much detail, I'll say that the jumps in logic with ZTD are the kinds of things that most people would at least go "eh.....," at without really much thought, whereas the ones in VLR aren't really apparent unless you really think about the game.

That's the right mindset for sure :) I was lucky enough to play the game a few days before release so I was able to go in without knowing anything. If you enjoyed VLR and its crazy story, you are probably also going to have a good time with ZTD. You can't resolve a story as batshit insane (and, yeah, at times borderline nonsensical) as VLR's without a few jumps in logic. There are more than enough of those in VLR already, anyway^^

What I really loved about ZTD: It get's to the point. VLR is SO long that it re-explains itself a few dozen times too often. Don't misunderstand me, I love the game, playing it for a third time right now, but due to the different presentation in ZTD they were kinda forced to cut the bullshit and I loved that.

Enjoyed reading your LTTP and reliving some of that stuff, hopefully you're going to come back for ZTD!

Finally some good things about the game lol. I actually like your description, since one of my main criticism of VLR is exactly what you said. It's looooong and repeats itself a bit more than necessary.

Hylian7

Glad you enjoyed it, but you pointed out some things, and here's a tip to help you enjoy ZTD better:

The Another Time ending isn't canon

Uchikoshi explained that the game was originally supposed to end with nukes going off in the window. When they were finishing the game, the Japan tsunami happened.
They didn't want the last thing in the game to be that, so they wrote up the Another Time ending and used it just to explain more things, pose philosophical questions, and go a little weird. You could kind of see this with things like Alice and Clover talking about the Schrodinger's Cat thing, and wondering why they didn't just do that before. Then there was Phi's weird monologue about who she was (I'm not Batman, I'm not Spiderman...).

They definitely were not clear on saying to ignore that ending, and that's 90% of people's issues with ZTD.

ZTD is definitely the weakest game in the trilogy, but it's still a great game and I definitely recommend it. They took on a very different format with the fragment system, and for this game it definitely worked.

Without going into spoilery details, ZTD will answer everything except for the stuff I mentioned in the spoiler text above, and the reason why is fairly obvious.

Ignore the haters, play ZTD and enjoy the end of the trilogy. It was honestly a good way to end it.

Hylian7

Yeah definitely play ZTD as soon as possible.

I think part of the disappointment with ZTD for a lot of people is the huge gap of time between the release of ZTD and VLR. It could never live up to that anticipation.

It was that, and people wanting something to happen in the story that was never going to happen.

Strings

Man, keeping up with this thread has me super excited for Psync all over again. While I liked ZTD, I really want Uchikoshi to go back to writing all the routes again (his ZTD route, D, was easily the highpoint of that game (
Sigma and Diana living out the rest of their lives in the bunker
).

eliza0224

I rttp last week, I didn't think I'd get mindblown yet again! What a great game.

I liked ZTD a lot, but
the dropped plot points and ending really soured me on it :(

Man, keeping up with this thread has me super excited for Psync all over again. While I liked ZTD, I really want Uchikoshi to go back to writing all the routes again (his ZTD route, D, was easily the highpoint of that game (
Sigma and Diana living out the rest of their lives in the bunker
).

Why did he only write 1 route?

Ralemont

not me
Luna ending was fantastic as well. But it was just nice finally having a stream of answers being given out. Plus there were a couple of amazing answer as well being given out during that period.

Yeah I mean...they certainly gave out answers. I just don't think they were very compelling answers, and some of them made me groan (that Sigma reveal...oof). And they didn't even answer one of the most important questions the game continually brings up (Phi).

Yeah I mean...they certainly gave out answers. I just don't think they were very compelling answers, and some of them made me groan (that Sigma reveal...oof). And they didn't even answer one of the most important questions the game continually brings up (Phi).

Lol I liked that reveal..
even though I do admit that it's kinda of wierd that he never saw his face the entire time
Me. Especially since he was in the very same room before and even looked at the water.

Also which Phi question are you talking about?
her back story?

Glad you enjoyed it, but you pointed out some things, and here's a tip to help you enjoy ZTD better:

The Another Time ending isn't canon

Uchikoshi explained that the game was originally supposed to end with nukes going off in the window. When they were finishing the game, the Japan tsunami happened.
They didn't want the last thing in the game to be that, so they wrote up the Another Time ending and used it just to explain more things, pose philosophical questions, and go a little weird. You could kind of see this with things like Alice and Clover talking about the Schrodinger's Cat thing, and wondering why they didn't just do that before. Then there was Phi's weird monologue about who she was (I'm not Batman, I'm not Spiderman...).

They definitely were not clear on saying to ignore that ending, and that's 90% of people's issues with ZTD.

ZTD is definitely the weakest game in the trilogy, but it's still a great game and I definitely recommend it. They took on a very different format with the fragment system, and for this game it definitely worked.

Without going into spoilery details, ZTD will answer everything except for the stuff I mentioned in the spoiler text above, and the reason why is fairly obvious.

Ignore the haters, play ZTD and enjoy the end of the trilogy. It was honestly a good way to end it.
That is not 90 percent of people's issues, not even close to starting. Have you never actually read what people found wrong?

Ralemont

not me
Lol I liked that reveal..
even though I do admit that it's kinda of wierd that he never saw his face the entire time
Me. Especially since he was in the very same room before and even looked at the water.

Also which Phi question are you talking about?
her back story?

It's not just
his face. I don't think the writer really thought through the plausibility of someone who thinks they are 20 actually being old. Bodies feel different, bodies look different. Just seeing his own HAND would have been enough to tip him off.

And yeah they kept dropping hints about Phi being special and then...nothing.

Top Bottom