• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Puzzle & Music | OT | Shinin on Android & iOS

Finally had time to get through most of the new skins. The Rez skins are... Rez skins. No surprises there.

I like that you actually play skins for a set amount of time now - long enough for the music to actually play. The biggest weakness of Electronic Symphony was that if you were any good at all, you would blow past the good songs before they could even get started.

The weird thing is that this game actually changes the core mechanics for what I think is the first time ever:
- Blocks already erased to the left of the timeline don't pass their effects to the right of the timeline anymore. You can't add more blocks to a half-erased square anymore, and once the timeline passes a chain block you can't keep adding blocks to the right of the chain to get erased.
- On the other hand, a chain block's effects stick to blocks already passed to the left of the timeline - they basically become chain blocks until the next sweep. It's a slight buff, but not sure how useful it is.
- The shuffle block can no longer be split off to its own pile, because now it always affects the whole field. They actually doubled down on the least popular addition in Electronic Symphony.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Warning to anyone that purchases DLC and the DLC does not unlock:

1. Tap the Gear on the Upper Right
  2. Tap Support
  3. Tap Restore

This will make the game reboot and recheck your DLC. In my case, I purchased the Rez DLC, but it stated that the purchase failed. When I force quit and came back, the DLC was still locked and tapping the purchase button did nothing (not even a failed dialogue).

By doing the restore purchases, you can force a recheck of the DLC, and you'll get your access.
WOW, thanks! Would never have found it by myself. That game is incredible, but it's pretty buggy. It completely wiped my save once for no apparent reason.

putermcgee

I can't figure out how to record/share replays in this game. There's the record icon, but I don't know which indicates that it's recording, or when recording starts and stops. I feel like I've tried some different things, and never got a replay.

Finally had time to get through most of the new skins. The Rez skins are... Rez skins. No surprises there.

I like that you actually play skins for a set amount of time now - long enough for the music to actually play. The biggest weakness of Electronic Symphony was that if you were any good at all, you would blow past the good songs before they could even get started.

The weird thing is that this game actually changes the core mechanics for what I think is the first time ever:
- Blocks already erased to the left of the timeline don't pass their effects to the right of the timeline anymore. You can't add more blocks to a half-erased square anymore, and once the timeline passes a chain block you can't keep adding blocks to the right of the chain to get erased.
- On the other hand, a chain block's effects stick to blocks already passed to the left of the timeline - they basically become chain blocks until the next sweep. It's a slight buff, but not sure how useful it is.
- The shuffle block can no longer be split off to its own pile, because now it always affects the whole field. They actually doubled down on the least popular addition in Electronic Symphony.

yeah, i like the changes to how the chain block works — seems more logical and strategic while compensating for the slower touch controls.

shuffle block remains the most baffling design decision in recent memory.

Yeah ability to resume is quite nice. I do wish the game would speed up more over rounds than it does because I feel like I could go forever and basically did on my last Classic Endless run (hit #25 on global all-time leaderboards by playing 4+ hours). Maybe Rez does it a little quicker since there are way fewer skins -- will have to try it out.

Okay, I'm finally doing my Classic Endless run and I'm starting to see what you mean. Over 2.5 million points and the second loop is not done yet.

I'm going all in. Maxing out this run, even if I have to resume and continue over days.

Edit: 1 hour 12 minutes, 4.3 million, round 4 just started. Putting this on hold for the night.

Deft Beck

I went to the effort to get Lumines Neo on Android and paid for the ULTRA MUSIC 2016 pack.

Who picked the colors for the Zedd skin? Probably the most unreadable level in the series for me.

I'm officially declaring this game easier than any version of Lumines with a controller.

The touch controls are actually more responsive and more efficient than physical controls once you get used to them. I don't have to hold down to drop a block anymore - I can just swipe. I don't have to hold left or right to move blocks anymore - I can just drag.

In a direct comparison with Lumines Live and Electronic Symphony, touch controls save time compared to button controls, and let you clear more squares in a single timeline sweep. I still make some mistakes, but those are rare and my improved performance more than makes up for it.

The bonus requirement being dropped from 4 squares to 3 was just the icing on the cake. It's almost trivial to clear 3 squares but much harder to consistently clear 4. And with faster controls, whether I can keep a combo up or not is mainly up to whether I want to.

Like, I'm getting 4x bonuses on Spirits. That's unimaginable in any console Lumines that had Spirits in it.

Shaneus

The bonus requirement being dropped from 4 squares to 3 was just the icing on the cake. It's almost trivial to clear 3 squares but much harder to consistently clear 4. And with faster controls, whether I can keep a combo up or not is mainly up to whether I want to.

Like, I'm getting 4x bonuses on Spirits. That's unimaginable in any console Lumines that had Spirits in it.
Oh shit, I didn't even notice that happened. I did wonder why levels I was struggling to 5-star in single skin mode were all of a sudden *much* easier.

Oh shit, I didn't even notice that happened. I did wonder why levels I was struggling to 5-star in single skin mode were all of a sudden *much* easier.

But it was 3 squares on day one when the game launched... they didn't change it in a patch. (I mean it was 4 squares in every other Lumines but 3 in this one.)

I think it's just that something clicked with you.

Shaneus

But it was 3 squares on day one when the game launched... they didn't change it in a patch. (I mean it was 4 squares in every other Lumines but 3 in this one.)

I think it's just that something clicked with you.
That's so weird, I was certain it was four the whole time I was playing. Very strange.

1 hour and 55 minutes into Classic Endless, and nearing the end of round 5 with 7 million points. The blocks are noticeably faster now, but there's still no end to this run in sight (except when I accidentally made a very dangerous pillar in a center column).

I never thought I would say this about a console-mobile transition, but playing Lumines on a touchscreen is the closest thing I have had to a brain-computer interface. In any game ever.

I am able to do anything as fast as I can think and see it happening. Even having to tap three times to rotate backwards is no longer a burden. I have never played another game where the controls became this seamless at any time.

Ballistik

So this game is great and has fueled my thirst for more Lumines.. BUT nope I cannot enjoy this game with a touchscreen. Rotating blocks sure, but quickly moving left and right is impossible. So many moves that are time sensitive and in my head I know exactly what I need to do and where each block needs to go but I can't pull it off in time because I'm fighting with the touchscreen. So many missed combos... ugh and it just frustrates me. I need a controller!

My Classic Endless run is still going. Round 8, 10 million points, nearly 3 hours total.

I swear it started getting faster but now it's the default speed again.

putermcgee

There's another Mobcast game that is doing a collaboration with this one, so some new tracks are probably coming soon. I kind of hope they add more tracks to the base game as free updates, but I'm still willing to buy whatever they put out.

Video of a new skin: https://youtu.be/WMyw2dmaW5c

putermcgee

Did anyone else just get a notification for a new skin called "18" ?
There are two new tracks in the latest update. One is "18" which I think is from another game by the same publisher, and it's $2. The other is "a piece of sine wave" from the first Lumines, and it's $1.

My beef with the update is that it says "Improved UI" yet it's somehow worse now? I don't get why buttons to switch between modes are in different locations, depending on what mode you're in. And the way the two new skins are separated from the other albums is weird.

There are two new tracks in the latest update. One is "18" which I think is from another game by the same publisher, and it's $2. The other is "a piece of sine wave" from the first Lumines, and it's $1.

My beef with the update is that it says "Improved UI" yet it's somehow worse now? I don't get why buttons to switch between modes are in different locations, depending on what mode you're in. And the way the two new skins are separated from the other albums is weird.

"a piece of sine wave" is actually from the Rockin' Holiday Pack released for Live/Supernova. I'm ecstatic that skins from the best Lumines song pack ever are starting to return, yet... a single one?

I wish I could check out the new content, but I can't... because I'm still in my ongoing Classic Endless run. Now at 12 million and round 10 after 3 hours 30 minutes. And I can now definitively confirm that it never gets faster.

Two more single skins added: "Lie in Rhodes" from the Rockin' Holiday Pack, and... "Strangers", the skin with the fastest timeline from the original Lumines. I had a feeling they might go for that one...

This game needs edit mode, because you really don't want to play one of the fastest skins in series history by itself in endless mode.

llehuty

Does it require internet connection for playing?

Edit:nvm, saw the answer on the last page, it's not required

*downloading*

Top Bottom