• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games

faridmon

The many, many, shock arrows in every tree nearby.

I think the old man even said to just collect 20 shock arrows.

Because nobody says you: "Defeat it and something good will happen". Even one Zora only asks for a picture, nothing more.

I know he says only collect arrows. Now the moment I went there, the fact that the ''boss'' is there, I thought I had to defeat him in order to get these 20 shock arrows.

After countless death did I see that there are arrows just lying about, and kicked my self for repeating that fight.

The game does not make it clear.

ogbg

They're lots of fun to fight but I don't feel like there's that much intelligence involved. They have a couple of movesets which they randomly cycle through depending on distance to the character.

carlsojo

The game doesn't make it clear at all that you don't have to kill him
and that's just fine. Figure that shit out for yourself.

I was more irritated that his
loot sucks.

KHlover

Banned
I have Stasis+. I'm telling you it did not work.
Then you did something wrong, you can use Stasis+ on just about every single enemy in the game that you can lock on to (doesn't work on aggressive wildlive like wolves, coyotes, bears etc), up to and including the major bosses. There's a couple enemies like Hinox or Moldora I've not tried yet, but from several hours of grinding Silver Lynels for Star Pieces I can 100% confirm to you that Stasis+ works on them. If you do not attack while they are frozen their attack is just delayed, but if you're fast enough to get a few hits in they stagger.

Steejee

Just beat my first last night (after 40 hours of gametime). I had previously died twice to two others and decided it was time to take on a Red one. I came out the victor, but he made me pay for that win. Definitely an awesome enemy and another item you can add to the 'Why BotW is amazing' bullet points.

Lynels have some cool elements about them, but "doesn't aggro until you draw your weapon" doesn't qualify as some kind of amazing AI.

Not that the Last Guardian doesn't have serious issues, but an AI study of Trico is going to yield far more impressive results.

They're fun to fight but it's really not great "AI". They have pretty simple behaviour and attack patterns mostly based on your distance

The best AI isn't the same thing as "hardest to program," "most complex," or "most difficult to fight."

The best AI is the one that makes you briefly feel like you're possibly interacting with something beyond a computer subroutine, something with some personality.

To have an enemy that stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the game, one that just stares you down, you draw your weapon and it does the same, sometimes firing at you behind cover or charging at you...it was designed in a really smart way. So many people in this thread are talking about them in ways reserved for real people or characters. They seem cautious, curious, alert, intimidating. Intelligent.

Mihos

Gold Member
Mind blown.

edit: You lied. Just tired it on the one in the Gerudo Highlands and it didn't work.

Stasis worked for me just fine. I just stay close and circle them until there is an openeing. If he gets distant for a charge just stasis and repeat. You can pretty much just circle until stasis ready over and over

The best AI isn't the same thing as "hardest to program," "most complex," or "most difficult to fight."

The best AI is the one that makes you briefly feel like you're possibly interacting with something beyond a computer subroutine, something with some personality.

To have an enemy that stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the game, one that just stares you down, you draw your weapon and it does the same, sometimes firing at you behind cover or charging at you...it was designed in a really smart way. So many people in this thread are talking about them in ways reserved for real people or characters. They seem cautious, curious, alert, intimidating. Intelligent.

I know, but it never felt that way to me. Every encounter with them was 100% formulaic, especially after they aggro'd.

You can design completely scripted encounters which make you feel like you described, whithout any "AI" at all.

Mr. Virus

I know he says only collect arrows. Now the moment I went there, the fact that the ''boss'' is there, I thought I had to defeat him in order to get these 20 shock arrows.

After countless death did I see that there are arrows just lying about, and kicked my self for repeating that fight.

I tried killing him a few times (got real close one) and kept getting caught when sneaking about, then saw that there were silent shrooms in the area and nearly slapped myself. Stealth pots made it a breeze.

It's amazing that so many people had trouble with this.

It's a stealth mission.

I feel like people (myself included) don't realize it's a stealth mission because they're not explicitly told it is. Not a flaw with them or the game, just a product of what modern games are like. There's a lot of things like that in BoTW.

ogbg

I feel like people (myself included) don't realize it's a stealth mission because they're not explicitly told it is. Not a flaw with them or the game, just a product of what modern games are like. There's a lot of things like that in BoTW.

It's not a stealth mission. It's an arrow collecting mission. Doesn't matter how you get them.

Ridley327

Lynels are awesome and it's really cool that the silver variant makes for a different fight than its predecessors with its different move pool. Hopefully, whatever DLC that they're working on adds at least one new enemy to the game that gets as much care put into it. For instance, I sure would love to see BotW's take on Darknuts.

Jolkien

Fought the red , blueish one and so far the AI is breaking when you spin around with an axe around them they barely react you just spin around them (with 3 stamina bar) they go down in no time and don't put much of a fight.

Magwik

Banned
Maybe I got to Zora's Domain way too early (think I had 5 hearts), but these dudes rocked me hard that I just bought 20 shock arrows in Guerodo Town.

It's amazing that so many people had trouble with this.

It's a stealth mission.

This makes me realize I'm terrible at combat in this game. Time to git gud...

I thought it was obvious it was a stealth mission, given how much they warn you about Lynels and how powerful they look compared to your average Bokoblin or Moblin. The first time I reached the area, the Lynel spotted me the second I arrived and then did a 1-shot kill with a raining arrow as I hid behind a rock. That's when I knew Lynels were serious business and even scarier than I thought. When I respawned, I thankfully wasn't bothered once and was able to get everything without trouble, but my heart was pounding like crazy until I escaped and successfully moved onto the next part of the quest.
Huh that explains a lot of it being a stealth mission. I ended up just cheesing the dude with Stasis+ and Arrow headshots in the end.

TheMink

I know, but it never felt that way to me. Every encounter with them was 100% formulaic, especially after they aggro'd.

You can design completely scripted encounters which make you feel like you described, whithout any "AI" at all.

I agree, in fact I pretty much consistently manipulate certain desired attacks. For the most consistent fight for the sword lynel I parry his basic swipe attack muliple times until he decides to do a different attack I stasis immediately and make sure I get a hit during stasis and then it puts him exactly back to the state of his basic swinging attack.

And I just casually farm him.

I think someone who was really trying to figure him out could get it even more consistent.

ogbg

Did you upgrade stasis? It won't work otherwise. And if so you have to hit them while they are frozen to interrupt their action.

No you don't. You can headshot them without statis to stagger them and then mount them. When they just wind up or just wind down their fire attack is a good time.

Thud

There are shock arrows on the trees and ground, so you're supposed to get your ass kicked and instead sneak around and collect the arrows in the area.
Collect arrows
Save
Go back and kill the Lynel
Collect more arrows

Lynels are awesome and it's really cool that the silver variant makes for a different fight than its predecessors with its different move pool. Hopefully, whatever DLC that they're working on adds at least one new enemy to the game that gets as much care put into it. For instance, I sure would love to see BotW's take on Darknuts.

I want to see Ironknuckles or the jumping blue fokkas.

I've marked all the lynels on the map that I've found. 7 now, and I just clear them out, wait for a blood moon and then do it again. They are so fun to fight and help me upgrade the best armor in the game.

I got a x5 bow from one of them and I just use it to mash bomb arrows in slow motion. The timing for their flurry rush is really simple as well. Not that tough of an enemy, just don't get overwhelmed.

Majukun

didn't find it that amazing to be honest..but lso i never travel without a weapon..so maybe i have always made them angry

TheMink

I actually think that bokoblins have more varied fights during combat.

It's still just reading variables but there are a lot of them. Knocking weapons out of their hands will make them furiously try to find them and if you take that weapon they have a temper tantrum at you hahaha.

Zocano

Pretty much my opinion on them as well. They very clearly require the most skill to take down consistently and without constant game overs but they still only have a limited number of moves which most end up being exploitable. They don't feel like they change routine or anything, they just feel like they cycle through movesets.

The spear ones never attack at close range and almost feel like a totally different fight.
How to make all Lynel fights the same (even the whites/silvers):

1) Stasis+
2) While he's frozen, hit him in the head with an arrow
3) While he's stunned, mount him and wail away with whatever weapon you have
4) Repeat.

It goes even faster if you have barbarian armor and any sort of attack upgrade (I use the recipe that calls for 5 Mighty Bananas just because I have tons of 'em).

I was hunting Lynels for barbarian armor upgrades and made it through a couple without even getting hit.

tebunker

Banned
It's not a stealth mission. It's an arrow collecting mission. Doesn't matter how you get them.

You can literally travel to another town and buy 20 lightning arrows to advance the mission. The suggestion by the quest is to expose the player to a lynel.

I beat that one use a bow and strafing around on top of the rocks. I cheesed it.

Then, just recently I realized you need to go in shield up and stay close. I have beaten a couple this way. Its still a wat of attrition but not nearly as harrowing as an arrow duel or trying to stay back.

1) Stasis+
4) Repeat.

It goes even faster if you have barbarian armor and any sort of attack upgrade (I use the recipe that calls for 5 Mighty Bananas just because I have tons of 'em).

I was hunting Lynels for barbarian armor upgrades and made it through a couple without even getting hit.

this is boring, fight like a man!

1) Stasis+
4) Repeat.

I just time my back flip or my side hop and unload during the slow-mo. Also if it uses fire arrows I float up using the updraft and slow-mo arrow it on the head to stun it for a while and unload again.

Thud

You can literally travel to another town and buy 20 lightning arrows to advance the mission. The suggestion by the quest is to expose the player to a lynel.

I beat that one use a bow and strafing around on top of the rocks. I cheesed it.

Then, just recently I realized you need to go in shield up and stay close. I have beaten a couple this way. Its still a wat of attrition but not nearly as harrowing as an arrow duel or trying to stay back.

Don't break your shield. Parry and flurry rush...

jokkir

I'm 80% sure that a person in (small spoils)
Zora tells you about the scary Lynel up on the hill and to explicitly just collect the arrows. Like the person who gives you the quest says it.

I was just speeding through Zora and I even got the message that it wasn't a place to fight it.

ogbg

Yeah that's fine. Since I had already explored the jungle and fishing village before finding Zora's domain I had shock arrows and I had seen a Lynel so there was no need. The point is it's neither a stealth mission nor a combat mission.

hoserx

Yeah that's fine. Since I had already explored the jungle and fishing village before finding Zora's domain I had shock arrows and I had seen a Lynel so there was no need. The point is it's neither a stealth mission nor a combat mission.

Yes, it's a Breath of the Wild mission, which means you can go about it via numerous plans of action.

1) Stasis+
4) Repeat.

Wait... you can mount them??

carlsojo

The Lynel bows are incredibly strong. You can get ones which fire 5 arrows at the same time while only consuming one.

I also have a Savage Lynel Club with like 110 attack rating

It's not a reward if it fucking breaks.

Edit: Especially if I broke 3-4 weapons already killing the stupid thing.

faridmon

I tried killing him a few times (got real close one) and kept getting caught when sneaking about, then saw that there were silent shrooms in the area and nearly slapped myself. Stealth pots made it a breeze.

Goddamn it, Why didn't I think of that.

Needless to say that mission was just pain in the ass

tesqui

Honestly didn't even realize this enemy type was in other Zelda games. It appears this is the first 3D Zelda they've been in though.

Twookie

Lynels are awesome. I was so scared of them (still am, kinda) until I figured out how to beat them.

I'm 80% sure that a person in (small spoils)
Zora tells you about the scary Lynel up on the hill and to explicitly just collect the arrows. Like the person who gives you the quest says it.

I was just speeding through Zora and I even got the message that it wasn't a place to fight it.

can confirm

Magwik

Banned
The best part about the Zora lynel was later after beating
waterblight Gannon
I was wondering why the latter seemed like a cake walk.

Nosgoroth

...What. But... I killed that Lynel. Had to boost hearts and def, and it took three attempts, but I did it. Nobody told me not to, and I didn't know what a Lynel was going in, so I thought it was just a monster to defeat.

So satisfying taking them down. If you can take Lynels down consistently, you've probably mastered the dodge and shield parry timing. I can take down guardians with ease now as well.

-MB-

Funny, because I got it the very first time. I think I was even told not to engage, might be wrong there though.

The game is clear, you misunderstood.

My first encounter with a Lynel was in the Colosseum, and it nearly killed me with high-angle fire that went right through the stone floor above me. I ran, and was left with a strong impression of how badass they are.

Right after this I started up the Zora's domain segment of the game, which tasks you with stealing some shock arrows from a Lynel. I did, and had time to notice how their AI is peculiar. This time I did fight it, and after two deaths and a triple defense boost finally figure them out. Just don't be a coward, that's the trick. Get in there and parry sword hits with your shield, and backflip the sword+shield attack.

I love these guys.

Top Bottom