• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M&L: Paper Jam has content you can only unlock by scanning two of the same amiibo

Rodin

I have Smash Mario and 8-bit Mario so i can unlock it right?

But yeah, despite changing basically nothing for people who don't buy amiibo this isn't the best practice.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yep, doesn't matter how insignificant it might be, implementing this is a really low move from them.

I'm really starting to feel Amiibos are bringing out the worst in Nintendo. Makes me very concerned about how they'll approach mobile gaming.

the damage to non-amiibo owners is minimum. without amiibo this content simply wouldn't be in the game. they have amiibo, and they offer small contents for amiibo owners.
I'm pretty satisfied with how they are handling the amiibo, honestly. and I'd say that the worst amiibo scenario seen so far is Amiibo festival, but for the opposit reason people usually complain about amiibos.

Well, I guess that's a type of card I will never use, then. I don't hate this, but only because it doesn't negatively affect the game.

I mean, at least they put as much functionality in the game as they could think of this time?

zelas

Nintendo says they want more people to buy amiibo for their intended use but a lot of their games this holiday season (ultra smash, happy home designer, amiibo festival, paper jam..) but some of these practices are just cementing the fact that amiibo are largely for a very specific audience. They really outta drop the act.

Calling this content is a little generous, honestly.

Yeah, it's a really minor bonus for people who are into amiibo collecting enough to have doubles or the small set of characters that this game supports

I don't see why anyone would really care unless they're able to do it

The bigger annoyance for people should be that there's a whole card system locked behind amiibo in the first place, not that people who have extra amiibo get extra stuff

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Always the same complaints...

"Get a little bonus in games" OMG NINTENDO IS LOCKING CONTENT BEHIND AMIIBOS!!!!!!!

"Game doesn't use Amiibos" Nintendo doesn't even care about supporting those of us who buy Amiibos with even small content.

I mean surely you guys see that one side of this coin will always be complaining right? Hint: It's probably going to be the side bringing in less revenue. Aka I'd start championing Nintendo doing small little unlockables if I were you guys because the realistic alternative is them just starting to put meaningful content behind it. YOUR alternative simply isn't going to happen. Not with how Amiibos sell.

borghe

This is awful for people who don't have new 3DS.
It's a pretty insignificant addition to the game. And if you have an OG 3DS you are already going to fall into one of two camps.. Either you don't have Amiibos in which case you'll view this news the same way in either case, or you will have Amiibos in which case it's already fairly likely you've spent the $20 on the reader or got it for $10 in the HHD bundle.

This is making something out of nothing, those cards are pointless.
Stop poking holes in the "Amiibo Sky is falling" crowd's panic.

Always the same complaints...

"Get a little bonus in games" OMG NINTENDO IS LOCKING CONTENT BEHIND AMIIBOS!!!!!!!

"Game doesn't use Amiibos" Nintendo doesn't even care about supporting those of us who buy Amiibos with even small content.

I mean surely you guys see that one side of this coin will always be complaining right? Hint: It's probably going to be the side bringing in less revenue. Aka I'd start championing Nintendo doing small little unlockables if I were you guys because the realistic alternative is them just starting to put meaningful content behind it. YOUR alternative simply isn't going to happen. Not with how Amiibos sell.

I find that people usually like cosmetic unlockables tied to amiibo a lot, I don't see a lot of complaints about the Super Mario Maker stuff for example

borghe

I find that people usually like cosmetic unlockables tied to amiibo a lot, I don't see a lot of complaints about the Super Mario Maker stuff for example
But that's what this basically is. I would definitely put this on the same level.

If anything the bigger issue from Nintendo here is that the entire benefit of owning the same "character" of an Amiibo is that you can have different writes for different games. In this case you have two character writes for the same game. THAT is pretty brutal.

Is beating the game impossible without Amiibos?

Is the game decidedly/unfairly harder if you choose not to use the Amiibos?

Are you missing story beats or character development if you don't use the Amiibos?

If the answer to all three of these questions is "no," then I'm fine with it. Seems like a fun bonus for people who collect Amiibos. Doesn't affect the game for people that don't have access to it in a negative way at all, and slightly enriches the experience (maybe) for the people that do.

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," then I'm not okay with it and that sucks.

Pretty much the same three questions I ask when microtransactions pop up too.

The Hermit

I think is more a small reward to completionist who have, toon link and link, yoshi and wolly yoshi or Mario, gold Mario, 8-bit Mario etc

Can you beat the game without Amiibos?

Is the game decidedly/unfairly harder if you choose not to use the Amiibos?

Are you missing story beats or character development if you don't use the Amiibos?

If the answer to all three of these questions is "yes," then I'm fine with it. Seems like a fun bonus for people who collect Amiibos. Doesn't affect the game for people that don't have access to it in a negative way at all, and slightly enriches the experience (maybe) for the people that do.

If the answer to any of these questions is "no," then I'm not okay with it and that sucks.

Pretty much the same three questions I ask when microtransactions pop up too.

So... are you saying it sucks if the game is NOT harder without using amiibos and you DON'T miss story or character development? I think you misworded it

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think is more a small reward to completionist who have, toon link and link, yoshi and wolly yoshi or Mario, gold Mario, 8-bit Mario etc
Yeah it's nothing more... People need to stop acting as if this were extra that would be included if Amiibos didn't exists. Just some neat stuff for people who own Amiibos as well.

The thirst for controversy is too strong when it comes to Amiibos.

Is it even for completionists? Does it count toward any expert challenges? It sounds like a fun bonus to make yourself overpowered but that's it.

Also don't cards disappear after being used once anyway? So it's not like they're really collectible items.

Ryker

I really love this series. Doesn't seem like a major deal, but I really don't want to support these practices. I've no interest in Amiibo. It's bad enough how egregious their behavior is with Fire Emblem Fates in this regard. They're doing their best at trying to alienate me from my favorite series'. I just have this thing about wanting a complete game with all options and powerful moves unlock-able in-game when I buy it. Call it being old school'.

yDViY1e.gif

Suddenly this makes sense

bigpumbaa

You also have to buy either a NFC dongle or a new 3ds to allow amiibo to interact with your 3DS.

This isn't a casual player were taking about here.

Point is they probably made a (reasonable) assumption that people into getting these higher level attacks and/or check off the 100% box probably already had all this shit.

Plus - they're still new to this. I think they're giving their devs freedom to however right now.

Can't deny they're not making money like nuts - but a healthy Nintendo is good for the industry (if not my pocket book).

Well when there is shit like Minecraft and Candy crush taking over the masses. Who can blame them.

In their defence Nintendo typically have always tried to cultivate an 'enjoy with friends' sort of narrative and this is reflected in all their products despite it often being a small aspect it is still included. So perhaps they genuinely believe nobody is going to be buying two of the same.

A while back I bought more than 2 copies of games. Things like F-Zero on the GBA and all the corresponding cables. So that I could enjoy F-zero with friends and family with all the features in multiplayer. Yes, I am one of the few that did this, but Nintendo refused to reward me. I couldn't register for stars on the Club Nintendo more that one copy of anything. Another thing I did this for was the Bongos for Donkey Konga. Again couldn't get stars for any of it. I even emailed them about it. They responded with "Computer says noooo"

Little things like this actually keep me from buying games I would otherwise get.

I have yet to buy Splatoon because the 3 pack has been out of stock everywhere and I refused to pay scalper prices at the time. I'm sure now it's more available, but I already have Xenoblade X, Legend of Legacy, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, etc to play. At the time of Splatoons release I was very interested in it, but the Amiibo-locked content left a bad taste in my mouth. Why would Nintendo lock content behind Amiibos, only to produce a small supply of them? My local Targets received 2-4 three packs each.

Regardless of how trivial the content is to some people, it matters to me and the fact that I couldn't access that content because Nintendo refused to produce enough Amiibo lost them a sale. It's the principle to me.

NeonZ

people tracking down the FE amiibo for STEAM were in for disappointment anyway

i don't understand how mad people were about that when playing the game with the actual characters was much more fun and not terrible

I had a lot of fun playing through Codename STEAM with a FE party in some stages. Ike was bad, but the others were really useful in various ways enough. Playing with a FE-only party also changes the soundtrack.

In this particular instance I'm not defending anything, but the other people that are calling this shitty instead of calling it what it is "a small extra that doesn't subtract away from the gameplay all if it were absence" are really overreacting here.

The character cards (which gotten by Amiibo) have no baring on the game's 100% collectable so I see no issue. It is purely optional.
Beans and Toads, which game does track, are based on map and missions.

Calling this content is a little generous, honestly.
I still have not used the character cards I gotten yet. Paper Goomba's card set is powerful enough.

Velcro Fly

This is more along the lines of having something there in case the player only has two of the same character. These are the most popular and most produced characters in most situations so I feel like they had to do something in this regard.

Verelios

It's a bonus for people with friends, not a bonus for people with Amiibo.

There is precedent for games that require you to perform actions in the real world with other game-owners in order to unlock content. See: trade or version-exclusive Pokemon. It is what it is.
You talking about the 90's breh? Because online makes trading a lot less personal.

Top Bottom