• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Just traded in my broken Asus laptop and got a Macbook Air, question:

Is there any app or feature I can enable that allows the windows on OSX to snap to fill half the screen if you drag them all the way to one side or the full screen if you drag them to the top like in windows 7?
Better touch tool which is free, but if you want to support the Dev you can buy better snap tool.
blog.boastr.net

In terms of new models, I'd wait until WWDC in the second week of June. Apple is likely to update then.

Yeah, between the improved graphics processing and the improved power consumption in Haswell, you're going to see the MacBook Air get a hell of a lot better sometime in 2014.

Zissou

I have an older macbook (2007, I believe). It's not on the list of supported models, but I meet the tech spec requirements- anybody know whether or not I'd be cool upgrading to mountain lion?

Garou

I have an older macbook (2007, I believe). It's not on the list of supported models, but I meet the tech spec requirements- anybody know whether or not I'd be cool upgrading to mountain lion?

Unsupported models don't have a 64bit EFI, which Mountain Lion needs. Lion is the highest you can go.

mrkgoo

So I was running out of space on my MacBook Pro (non-unibody) HD, so as I am want to do, I upgraded the internal drive using Time Machine.

My history was that I started with a 250GB, moved to a 500GB, moved to a 640 GB, then to a 500GB Momentus XT, then to a 750 GB WD (7200rpm), now to a 1TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid (onlu 5400 rpm). Just some impressions - it's both slower and faster. It seems to lag on disk access when it's not cached, but snappy in general use, as I suppose is expected for the hybrid.

I would wait for the WD hybrids that come with more NAND flash, but I need the space now - it occurs to me that Mountain Lion is really a free space hog, and needs the space to operate smoothly. Before I upgraded, I was operating on about 50GB free, and heavy apps would completely bog down my machine. But even on first boot with more space free, I was operating smoothly again.

Hopefully this 1TB hybrid works out well and gives me another year or two out of old trusty.

If at all feasible, replace the optical drive with a caddy to let you out another drive in. SSD in place of HDD and HDD in place of optical drive.

Can make a Fusion drive or move your home folder or just manually manage what gets put on the HDD.

mrkgoo

If at all feasible, replace the optical drive with a caddy to let you out another drive in. SSD in place of HDD and HDD in place of optical drive.

Can make a Fusion drive or move your home folder or just manually manage what gets put on the HDD.

Yeah, I might do this in future. At one point I was considering putting in a small 40GB flash drive to run the OS off of into the Express slot as well.

Is a user configured Fusion Drive a hack or is it supported by Apple? As in, do they give a guide, or is it just something reverse-engineered by clever bothans?

kennah

Yeah, I might do this in future. At one point I was considering putting in a small 40GB flash drive to run the OS off of into the Express slot as well.

Is a user configured Fusion Drive a hack or is it supported by Apple? As in, do they give a guide, or is it just something reverse-engineered by clever bothans?

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-recmedia/cat-recmediaxdcamex/

Get one of those. Sits flush in the Express card slot and is as fast as an SSD :)

Not exactly the intended purpose - but would do the trick I'm sure.

It has been reverse engineered. You use the Terminal to make it when booted off the installer. Works very well.

mrkgoo

Interesting.

Lol, are those express slot memory used as a boot partition in a mac? Doing some quick searches seems like bit if a hack and drivers can be wrecked with OS updates. I just want simple. But interesting nevertheless, I can keep it in mind.

My favourite thing about macs is NOT hacking around, ha!

On an unrelated note, weird, I just woke my mac and have me a disconnected drive a few seconds before my time machine mounted. It did a fsevents check and jiggers some journals - hopefully my time machine is ok (it wasn't doing anything when my computer went to sleep presumably).

How robust is Mac OS X these days with unexpectedly disconnected drives? I was always under the impression windows was much better at this because Mac OS was always playing with files in the background (fit spotlight, tind machine, etc).

It seems to me many processes aren't finalised until completed to prevent interruptions from having a catastrophic effect. For example I notice iOS device bAckups do an 'in progress' thing.

My favourite thing about macs is NOT hacking around, ha!

I have a Mac Pro with three RAID0 devices and 13 other volumes. I'm OK with a bit of it. There's no day-to-day hacking on the DIY Fusion drive, it's not like building and maintaining a Hackintosh.

See these posts: one two three four

How robust is Mac OS X these days with unexpectedly disconnected drives? I was always under the impression windows was much better at this because Mac OS was always playing with files in the background (fit spotlight, tind machine, etc).

Fairly good, in my experience.

corn_fest

Glad to hear that they're (supposedly) working on "power user" features for 10.9.
The last few releases have introduced a lot of shiny iOS-style features that I don't really find useful, but a lot of the core stuff (the Finder, spaces) is lacking.

jts

...hate me...
Hey guys, can you share a FAT32 volume on ML? (to another Mac, and ML at that too) I certainly can't. Just wondering, in case I'm missing something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They've been promising to fix the Finder for years now. But every time they do they fuck something else up. Like the goddamned zoom button that doesn't work even remotely close to correctly that literally worked perfectly for about 2 months years ago when they released a Snow Leopard update but broke again with the next one and has been worse than before it was fixed.

FIX THE GODDAMNED FINDER IS ALL I WANT FROM 10.9!

Well, that and maybe Siri replacing voice control. I want to say "Siri" *ding ding* "Send a message to dad" or "What is the weather?" or "set a timer for 5 minutes." etc. As long as it has an option to always be listening so I just have to speak the activation keyword.

iOS style multitasking? Why. It's my least favorite part of using iOS.

It wouldn't simply be iOS-style multitasking where all background apps are frozen.

It would be an API that allows apps to freeze and save-state certain processes in the RAM when minimized, significantly freeing up CPU resources for your main app, and only freezing the unnecessary processes of the minimized apps in the background.

Done right, you wouldn't even notice it, your apps would run faster, and we'll see significant gains to battery life.

Hm. I wonder how this would affect race to idle?

Edit: Getting Siri (and Maps) on Mac would be in Apple's interest, as well, since it would be another source to collect data from to improve the services.

Blackhead

Redarse
It wouldn't simply be iOS-style multitasking where all background apps are frozen.

It would be an API that allows apps to freeze and save-state certain processes in the RAM when minimized, significantly freeing up CPU resources for your main app, and only freezing the unnecessary processes of the minimized apps in the background.

Done right, you wouldn't even notice it, your apps would run faster, and we'll see significant gains to battery life.

Hm. I wonder how this would affect race to idle?

They already added this in Mountain Lion. Developers don't care for it and some users complained that it's broken (like TextEdit randomly disappearing in the background)

Guess Who

Banned
They already added this in Mountain Lion. Developers don't care for it and some users complained that it's broken (like TextEdit randomly disappearing in the background)

They added auto-termination in Lion - killing, not pausing an app. There's no feature to put apps to sleep.

They added auto-termination in Lion - killing, not pausing an app. There's no feature to put apps to sleep.

Lion added automatic termination and Resume, which is the API you use to store and restore application and UI state. iOS doesn't "put apps to sleep", it kills them and if the app supports preservation and restoration you might not even know it was ever killed. That's the same type of thing they introduced in Lion.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know, I hear people complaining about OS X Mountain Lion killing unused apps all the time but I've never seen it happen. I have 8GB RAM and run out of it all the time. Before that I had 4GB and ran out even more often. Maybe none of the apps I use take advantage of the feature?

mrkgoo

You know, I hear people complaining about OS X Mountain Lion killing unused apps all the time but I've never seen it happen. I have 8GB RAM and run out of it all the time. Before that I had 4GB and ran out even more often. Maybe none of the apps I use take advantage of the feature?
It only kills apps under certain circumstances. Like the windows cannot be active, process is not active etc.

For example, text edit open a text file, close it then move focus away. Quick time player will also do the same.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It only kills apps under certain circumstances. Like the windows cannot be active, process is not active etc.

For example, text edit open a text file, close it then move focus away. Quick time player will also do the same.
Nope. The apps stay loaded for me.

Basically the only iOS-style multitasking thing I'd want would be a little minus symbol on the app icons when doing cmd-tab to switch between applications. When you click the minus symbol, it would kill the app. It'd be a lot easier to do it that way instead of always having to keep Activity Monitor open (although I'd probably still do that anyway), or right-clicking on its Dock icon, or selecting Force-Quit from the Apple menu, or switching to the app first before quitting it.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Basically the only iOS-style multitasking thing I'd want would be a little minus symbol on the app icons when doing cmd-tab to switch between applications. When you click the minus symbol, it would kill the app. It'd be a lot easier to do it that way instead of always having to keep Activity Monitor open (although I'd probably still do that anyway), or right-clicking on its Dock icon, or selecting Force-Quit from the Apple menu, or switching to the app first before quitting it.

If you want to do that just cmd tab to the app icon, keep holding the Cmd key and hit Q. That lets you Quit right from the app switcher. I do it all the time.

If you want to do that just cmd tab to the app icon, keep holding the Cmd key and hit Q. That lets you Quit right from the app switcher. I do it all the time.
Huh, never knew that one! Learn something new every day... anyway, I'd still like the "close" symbol though.

You can also hit command+tab and keep command held then select by mouse.

After invoking cmd-tab, while command is held down, you can also:
hit ` to go the other way
hit h to hide the app

Cmd-` on its own will swap windows in an application.

Hitting tab in application-windows-Exposé/Mission Control will cycle applications. Speaking of Exposé, if you use a mouse with your Mac, a five-button mouse is a huge productivity win if you map Mission Control, Show Desktop, and Application Windows to the extra buttons.

It's not that common, even if you're maxing out your used RAM. It's way less aggressive about this than iOS (maybe because of virtual memory?) I notice it with minimized Messages and Calendar. They'll have the "running" light on, but then later in the day I'll see they've been auto-closed at some point.

Guess Who

Banned
Lion added automatic termination and Resume, which is the API you use to store and restore application and UI state. iOS doesn't "put apps to sleep", it kills them and if the app supports preservation and restoration you might not even know it was ever killed. That's the same type of thing they introduced in Lion.

Suffice it to say, the feature being discussed in 10.9 is different. Wait till WWDC.

rc213

Any FTP Clients you guys suggest I try? Would love it if I could find a free one, Just need basic stuff nothing fancy.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, Cyberduck is very nice.

But if/when you want extra-nice with sprinkles on top and are willing to pay, Transmit.

Panic <3

mrkgoo

Text edit closes for me every time.

I open text edit, open a .txt document. After I close the document, such that there are no longer any open text edit windows, then click on another app window (say, Finder), text edit just closes.

How the hell do i delete podcast from iTunes 11? Ive unsubscribed from two podcast on my iTunes and even deleted the actual file for the show, but the show still shows still shows up under my Podcast section.

Edit: Nevermind i figured it out. Just view your podcast by "List" and right click to delete the entire show.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How the hell do i delete podcast from iTunes 11. Ive unsubscribed from two podcast on my iTunes and even deleted the actual file for the show, but the show still shows still shows up under my Podcast section.

6bbWheL.png

Ambitious

Wow. Opened a video with Quicktime, entered fullscreen mode, Mac froze. Could move the mouse cursor, but nothing else worked, not even the volume keys. Closing the lid didn't do anything, had to force reboot it.

The console's full with the following entries:

07.06.13 14:18:01,000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
07.06.13 14:18:01,000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x20 = PBDMA Error
07.06.13 14:18:01,000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x20 = PBDMA Error

That's the second time this happened. Fucking hell. I had many problems related to graphics and the GPU with my previous Mac five fucking years ago, and now with my rMBP as well. Five years, I-don't-know-how-many Mac iterations and three major OS versions later and they still can't get this shit right?

How fucking awesome would it be if this were a hardware problem. Some answers on Apple's support forum, suggest this, others claim reinstalling OS X would solve the issue. Doing a hardware check now.

Mairu

What's the best browser for flash videos (Twitch) on Mountain Lion? Recently got a rMBP from work and I'm curious which browser is going to have the least amount of issues.

What's the best browser for flash videos (Twitch) on Mountain Lion? Recently got a rMBP from work and I'm curious which browser is going to have the least amount of issues.

I would suggest you do what I do, and that is don't install ANY flash player on the Mac, and just download and use Google Chrome whenever you need flash (it has its own built-in flash player). That way you don't crap your computer with adobe and you can still use Safari for all other browsing.

I would suggest you do what I do, and that is don't install ANY flash player on the Mac, and just download and use Google Chrome whenever you need flash (it has its own built-in flash player). That way you don't crap your computer with adobe and you can still use Safari for all other browsing.

Seconded. Get YouTube5 Safari Extension to force a bunch of sites that have mpeg4 videos for mobile to cough them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom