• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Virus Contest Halted, is OSX really secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Ok, I'm a hardcore Mac user. But I'm not a techie. I have a two questions.

article said:
Plans to hold a $25,000 virus writing competition to infect the Apple OS X have been scrapped after the company behind the scheme backed down over "legal problems" and complaints from Mac customers.

Would this contest be illegal?

article said:
Tennessee-based Apple accessories company DVForge announced the competition after security company Symantec claimed OS X was likely to come under increasing attack as Apple's share in the computer market grew.

DVForge said it had so much faith in the security of OS X it did not believe a virus writer could disable the operating system.

Also, is this true? I mean is OSX really that secure? Or is it's lack of viruses due to it's totally miniscule user base (in comparison to windows)?

Article

Azih

Miniscule user base means it's not an attractive target for virus authours. That being said I have no idea how secure OSX is. But the more popular it grows the more it'll be tested. Right now it's not being pushed.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Certainly OS X is more secure than Windows, but no software on Earth is completely virus-proof. If it had the kind of penetration Windows does, you can be there'd be plenty of viruses to go around.

As someone who has used to be a PC user, I can say that Mac OS X is much more secure when it comes to viruses and spyware, but OS X is not that big of a target as Windows. I could see why pressure might be put onto a company that is looking to infect OS X, that will open a lot of windows that myself and other Mac consumers want to stay away from. Of course, it's bound to happen, but making a contest out of it is rather silly.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
The only real reason Mac OS X is more secure is the same reason Unix is more secure - they actually enforce a system administrator / system user paradigm. Windows doesn't - virtually every Windows system in a non-business setting is a system administrator (oftentimes they don't even use a password). This means that any malicious programs the user happens to come across and use have full access to the system, whereas in Mac OS X and Unix / Linux systems they don't. It's easy to see why that makes Windows much less secure in use. If Microsoft made users create a seperate administrator account and people started using practical security measures there would be far less risk.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Drinky Crow said:

EDIT: I am not sure of Drinky's intentions with that link, but my thoughts stand.

Not only is that nearly a year old, Secunia's predictions have yet to come true. Every 6-8 months one of the big antivirus software companies produces a report which states "the Mac OS is soon going to be hit by viruses, etc." The fact is, in the years since OS X has been released, not a SINGLE virus has shown up. There have been holes that have been patched, but no exploits of these holes.

I'm not naive enough to think it will never happen, but the track record is there.

Try these one on for size for rebuttals at the time that report came out:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/05/security_cannot_be_spun

http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/broken_windows

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Gattsu25 said:
That's not the only reason Unix is more secure

ok, not the only reason, but it is the main reason. Any time system security is compromised it is limited to the domain that the current user has access to. In windows this is almost always invariably a system administrator, in a Unix-based system (Mac OS X, Linux, etc) it is oftentimes simply the user itself.

And yes, I knew Mac OSX was based on BSD UNIX (not the same, then they might have to answer to SCO!). Hence why I brought it up.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nerevar said:
ok, not the only reason, but it is the main reason. Any time system security is compromised it is limited to the domain that the current user has access to. In windows this is almost always invariably a system administrator, in a Unix-based system (Mac OS X, Linux, etc) it is oftentimes simply the user itself.

And yes, I knew Mac OSX was based on BSD UNIX (not the same, then they might have to answer to SCO!). Hence why I brought it up.

agreed...oh, and I knew you were aware that Mac OS X was unix...just wasn't sure if it was common knowledge

McFly

An old article: http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20031023.html

"Mac OS X hasn't had any viruses since the OS was launched," says Bill Rosenkrantz, the head of Macintosh products at Symantec, the big antivirus firm. "It's more difficult to attack the Apple system than Windows."

OS X is more secure since this article was posted as many holes where closed since then and I still have'nt heard of one single virus that was in circulation only some concepts that realised parts of a virus.

No don't understand me wrong, a good hacker can get access to a stupid users machine, but there's no easy way for script kiddies.

Fredi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom