• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macklemore is the only white rapper with something to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Macklemore made one stupid insensitive mistake. Whether intentional or out of ignorance, he's apologized for it, and he doesn't have a history of doing things like that. What the fuck is the point on focusing on it and trying to pretend that, because of that one mistake, he's not worth ever listening to again?

He's done more good things than most people here can probably say they've done. And love or hate his music, Same Love was probably a more effective and mainstream tool at opening eyes to civil rights like same sex marriage than any other piece of mainstream media released in recent years, and in this particular interview he's dead on accurate.

Stop it with the bullshit faux outrage about his one mistake, you're contributing to a ridiculous toxic smear campaign that doesn't accomplish anything. As a Jew, I forgave him a long time ago. I hope others do too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The idea of him doing a Jew joke for Thrift Shop at an event here in Seattle makes absolutely zero sense to me.. he'd have to be acting like the biggest idiot in the world.. low brow humor isn't exactly a common thing at events at museums here in Seattle. It's partly why I don't outright believe he did it on purpose. Even ignoring the time/place of the event.. "Let's do a funny Jew joke for Thrift Shop, get it guys?"

I just don't see it out of him.. but whatever.

because racist assholes are totes always thinking things through

It's not difficult.

i know

So just finished listening to the interview. What's people problem with this? They don't believe he's genuine? Can't speak for everyone but as someone who has live my entire life in Seattle his views are pretty similar to what most people here feel. It's nothing new really....

riotous

Banned
whatever. im out. aint no one got time for racist sympathizers

Yes, because believing it's possible someone didn't have racist intentions with an incident is the same as being a racist sympathizer.

I also believe it's possible he was intending for it to be a racist joke.. so I'm really confused, what does that make me? Some sort of half-breed of sorts?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I also believe it's possible he was intending for it to be a racist joke.. so I'm really confused, what does that make me? Some sort of half-breed of sorts?

split personality - one racist one not

fight it bro

Now I'm being insulted for using the word "incident"?

lol

while i admire your learned expressions, i would prefer if you could keep things on the laymans level

Wazzy

Banned
He makes great points and I don't see why those should be ignored just because of what he did before. Was the costume he wore inappropriate? Absolutely but that doesn't and shouldn't take away from the points he made in this video.

He's acknowledging his privilege and the mistreatment of minorities and that's not something I'm going to scream down because of one stupid thing he did and apologized for.

Mr. Patch

Personally, I think Macklemore's fanbase is the cause of the hate toward him.

Iggy Azalea definitely earned hers, though. Raps in a fake ass southern accent then goes on Sway in the Morning talking about, "I can't give you a hot 16 on this hood ass beat."

Ratsky Watsky embarrassing himself over multiple pages.

Baffled to say the least by Macklemore here. Charlamagne tha God has differing opinions to say the least. Need to watch the Azaelia banks interview. Strange they didn't mention tip at all here in regards to iggy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He makes great points and I don't see why those should be ignored just because of what he did before. Was the costume he wore inappropriate? Absolutely but that doesn't and shouldn't take away from the points he made in this video.

He's acknowledging his privilege and the mistreatment of minorities and that's not something I'm going to scream down because of one stupid thing he did and apologized for.

because they're looking at it from a different angle than you

to others, the "inappropriate" and "stupid" in your post become "intentional" and "malicious" (and really, how could it really be anything but) and if thats the case then does he really deserve to be forgiven even though he offered up an "apology"?

Personally, I think Macklemore's fanbase is the cause of the hate toward him.

they are certainly obnoxious

I dunno. people can love or hate Mack's music, but at the very least I think the dude is genuine.

People doubting that seem like they're grasping.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
People doubting that seem like they're grasping.

naw, but this

He was also wearing a disguise because it was a surprise show, and he was wandering around the crowd hidden beforehand.

At the very least, considering his overall character being fairly solid.. it makes me not outright conclude he did it on purpose.

If he'd just randomly gone on stage dressed like that w/ no reason to be in a disguise I'd say he is definitely lying that he didn't do it on purpose.. but otherwise.. go find a disguise.. you'll buy a funny nose and a beard and a wig.. and you'll probably not look too far off from a Jewish sterotype.

this is grasping

Wazzy

Banned
because they're looking at it from a different angle than you

to others, the "inappropriate" and "stupid" in your post become "intentional" and "malicious" (and really, how could it really be anything but) and if thats the case then does he really deserve to be forgiven even though he offered up an "apology"?

they are certainly obnoxious

Sure but why should that dismiss the points he made here? He's speaking about his privilege, calling out Iggy for her refusal to acknowledge hers and police brutality in America.

You don't have to like him to agree with his points here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sure but why should that dismiss the points he made here? He's speaking about his privilege, calling out Iggy for her refusal to acknowledge hers and police brutality in America.

You don't have to like him to agree with his points here.

because if you believe he did those things intentionally (which is literally the only way for a cognizant human to interpret that situation) then youd probably see this as just him trying to draw attention to himself, albeit in a relatively positive way

because if you believe he did those things intentionally (which is literally the only way for a cognizant human to interpret that situation) then youd probably see this as just him trying to draw attention to himself, albeit in a relatively positive way

So . . . you're saying he shouldn't apologize and try to make a statement showing correction regarding his earlier actions?

He should just own his possibly intentionally racist stunt and go "So?"

I don't know. Even if he meant it as a racist jab, that he's apologizing at all and trying to make amends says a fair amount. And not even in the response to "public pressure" sense. Probably because his response seems well-formed and in-depth compared to what a lot of other such apologizes sound like.

Wazzy

Banned
I really don't see how viewing that situation one way must mean the second has to be viewed with the mindset he's only doing it for attention.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to accomplish with this line of thinking anyway. His points are true no matter what and that's what should be focused on. If he can help incite more positive changes from ignorant people, why not?

Okay now you can fuck off with that attitude right there.

Enron

Banned
another rolling stone article. At least they are writing about music this time. Still wouldn't wipe my ass with that sorry rag, nor with mackarelmore.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Okay now you can fuck off with that attitude right there.

Saying "oh, it was an accident! due to a random string of events, he unintentionally dressed up as a racist caricature that's been ingrained in western society for hundreds of years!" is akin to saying "it wasn't rape! he fell down the stairs and his pants got caught on a rung and ripped off and then his penis accidentally landed insider her!"

there is no way in hell

its a ridiculous excuse made in defense of a gross human being

Saying "oh, it was an accident! due to a random string of events, he unintentionally dressed up as a racist caricature that's been ingrained in western society for hundreds of years!" is akin to saying "it wasn't rape! he fell down the stairs and his pants got caught on a rung and ripped off and then his penis accidentally landed insider her!"

there is no way in hell

Yeah, rape is totally the same thing as putting on a silly mask. You win. We take it all back.

wedward

there is no way in hell

What a defense.

Even more insane than I anticipated.

wedward

"silly mask"

yeah

okay

it was a silly witch nose.

If he is so obviously a disgusting anti Semite you would think their would be more evidence of that.

If he is so dumb that he would get up on stage dressed as a caricature of a Jewish person you would think that at some point over the past 10 years he would have expressed his anti Semitic beliefs somewhere. Maybe his music?

And yet, there isn't.

I respect Macklemore, he's a good dude. Not a fan of his music but I'll cosign him.

Don't you know? Cosigning him means your a racist evil person. Finding Mackelmore an awful person is literally the only conclusion a cognizant person can arrive at. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So . . . you're saying he shouldn't apologize and try to make a statement showing correction regarding his earlier actions?

He should just own his possibly intentionally racist stunt and go "So?"

I don't know. Even if he meant it as a racist jab, that he's apologizing at all and trying to make amends says a fair amount. And not even in the response to "public pressure" sense. Probably because his response seems well-formed and in-depth compared to what a lot of other such apologizes sound like.

he should own up to his actions, firstly. ditch the "oops unintentional accident sry" bullshit and address it head on

if he had said "yeah i thought dressing up as a horrible caricature it would be funny im an asshole im sorry how can i make this right"

then I would maybe have some respect for him. instead he brushed it under the rug. paula deen has more integrity than this asshole

what he's saying is good (i never said it wasn't btw) but i also think he's a gross person

Dylan

"The only white rapper with something to say"

It's 2015. If you've made it this far without hearing any other "white rappers" with intelligent lyrics, it's probably time to expand on from whichever avenues you are using to find music.

Chiggs

I hate this guy. First of all, nice LTTP comment. Secondly, way to presume white liberals have the attitude you present in your statements. Additionally, your comment isnt a new or revolutionary thought, so stop acting like it is. Lastly, if you feel so strongly, start marching on the fucking streets with the protestors from all colors and races rather than make idiotic comments from your comfy LA mansion or wherever the fuck you live. Macklemore, in short, please stfu because you are not noble and righteous.

Thanks for posting this. Seriously.

And Macklemore can just shut his dumb fucking mouth. Oh, I'm an artist! I have opinions!

why am i not surprised you have a skinhead avatar
tumblr_mhklfumiwk1rzauksck.gif

Dylan

he should own up to his actions, firstly. ditch the "oops unintentional accident sry" bullshit and address it head on

if he had said "yeah i thought dressing up as a horrible caricature it would be funny im an asshole im sorry how can i make this right"

then I would maybe have some respect for him. instead he brushed it under the rug

what he's saying is good (i never said it wasn't btw) but i also think he's a gross person

I wish I had your powers, to magically know so much about people's motivations without ever having met them.

It's a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom