• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

16897723327_69fb5f255f_o.png

16485548553_a5511928f9_o.png

From director George Miller, originator of the post-apocalyptic genre and mastermind behind the legendary “Mad Max” franchise, comes “Mad Max: Fury Road,” a return to the world of the Road Warrior, Max Rockatansky.

Haunted by his turbulent past, Mad Max believes the best way to survive is to wander alone. Nevertheless, he becomes swept up with a group fleeing across the Wasteland in a War Rig driven by an elite Imperator, Furiosa. They are escaping a Citadel tyrannized by the Immortan Joe, from whom something irreplaceable has been taken. Enraged, the Warlord marshals all his gangs and pursues the rebels ruthlessly in the high-octane Road War that follows.

17385991665_c746e465e6_o.png

Also Starring..
  • Megan Gale as Valkyrie
  • Josh Helman as Slit
  • Angus Sampson as The Organic Mechanic
  • John Howard as People Eater
  • Richard Carter as The Bullet Farmer
  • iOTA as Coma, The Doof Warrior

17177076657_9536e7c0fc_o.png

17384594015_7ab839f1d7_o.png

11263130_673561546082703_5154193806011255778_n.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes: 99% Fresh 9/10 Avg Rating

16764305923_b6f0111be5_o.png

For Fury Road you DO NOT need to have watched the old Mad Max films to get the full enjoyment out of the movie. Fury Road is it's own entry not bogged down by any continuity or actions from the previous films. It's a "reimagining" where George Miller is using the film making techniques and technology of today to create a Mad Max film.

Of course I'd recommend watching the original trilogy, especially if you've never seen them, in anticipation for Fury Road but since Netflix and other streaming sites don't have them you'll need to purchase them on DVD or Blu-Ray. The Blu-ray discs on the market right now are pretty decent only really lacking in bonus content, and Scream Factory just released their own transfer of the first film on Blu-ray May 5th. If you don't have time to watch the movies however but wish to know more about them then I've linked each of the posters below to their respected wikis!

17196907808_a70c56f163_o.png

17384719285_b708085a3e_o.jpg
17196907748_318657972f_o.jpg
16764432473_093b2c110e_o.jpg
17382737782_20458b7363_o.jpg
16762188144_39bf83e525_o.png
17198488089_1aa3d454c3_o.jpg

• Official Site
  • MadMaxMovies Fansite - This is a great fan site that's been running for a couple of decades now by Peter Barton. Lots of trivia and info on the old films and the forums are a awesome place where replica owners chat and some of the mechanics and folks who worked on the movies, including Fury Road, post.
17384727135_6b049f8ff1_o.png

My first OT! I tried to keep it simple given nobody looks at the OP after the first page but hopefully it works for you all! lol

Fantastic OP, man. Do we know if this is a reboot or a sequel? Not that it matters worth a shit but I'm interested in that detail nevertheless.

Simo

Fantastic OP, man. Do we know if this is a reboot or a sequel? Not that it matters worth a shit but I'm interested in that detail nevertheless.

Cheers bud! It's not a sequel, reimagining I guess is the word they keep using because it's been 30 years since the last movie and nobody remembers the continuity from those movies except die hard fans. lol

Nerdkiller

Membeur
BOOO! I wanted the less predictable title for the thread.

"From the director of Happy Feet and Babe: Pig in the City."

Quick

Banned
Well done on the OT.

I haven't watched the Mad Max trilogy, but I like that this is something of a reboot anyway. I'll definitely be catching the movie.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Charlize Theron looks amazing in this, I bet she is the highlight of the film.

Simo

BOOO! I wanted the less predictable title for the thread.

"From the director of Happy Feet and Babe: Pig in the City."

Yeah I didn't know what to go with but felt the simple choice was better. I quite liked "It's been a long road, warrior." that was mentioned given how it only took 15 years to make this!

Also if you guys want to make your own avatars or whatever here's a .zip file with the HD publicity stills WB recently released:
https://www.wetransfer.com/download...f9cbbcea4659c814d420304a20150505161801/907d9b

This'll be your second time seeing it, right? Let us know about what the changes were once we all see it.

I wish. First time for me. I know a few people that have seen it including someone who has seen it at all 3 test screenings. lol

I guess the big news today is the Alamo Drafthouse is doing a free screening this Saturday at their various locations.

I hope that the trailers are deceiving or there's a convincing explanation re: gun use. One of my favorite little things about Road Warrior was how scare ammunition was. Really made every single pull of a trigger a moment of "oh fuck!" in a way superior to just about any action movie out there.

M.W.

Can't wait, but the "what a lovely day" part of the trailer makes me cringe every time.

Dead

well not really...yet
Even though the original came out in 79, "Maximum Force" might be the most awesome 80s sounding thing ever

Simo

I hope that the trailers are deceiving or there's a convincing explanation re: gun use. One of my favorite little things about Road Warrior was how scare ammunition was. Really made every single pull of a trigger a moment of "oh fuck!" in a way superior to just about any action movie out there.

It is. Along with why there are so many cars and where do they get fuel from.

Isn't she the main star in this? Max a close second?

I got told she steals the show but Max isn't no chump with nothing to do either.

This was my introduction to Mad Max:

That fat-ass clamshell case was on the shelf at the makeshift video store in the back of an appliance store my dad would shop at. My older brother picked it out. I didn't know what the hell it was but it seemed pretty seedy. My dad said I couldn't watch it because it was Rated R.

I waited until they started the movie, and then I basically snuck out of my bedroom and watched it from the hallway leading to the living room.

Fucked my whole head up.

The trailers for this film are the closest I've gotten to feeling that level of headfucked at a Mad Max movie since.

I am excited.

Simo

That fat-ass clamshell case was on the shelf at the makeshift video store in the back of an appliance store my dad would shop at. My older brother picked it out. I didn't know what the hell it was but it seemed pretty seedy. My dad said I couldn't watch it because it was Rated R.

I waited until they started the movie, and then I basically snuck out of my bedroom and watched it from the hallway leading to the living room.

Fucked my whole head up.

The trailers for this film are the closest I've gotten to feeling that level of headfucked at a Mad Max movie since.

I am excited.

Haha I saw Mad Max 2 when I was 4 or 5 years old. That along with Star Wars were the first movies I can ever vividly remember watching as a kid and the film blew open my fragile young mind. All the visuals and everything were just crazy to me and that car! When the movie was done I remember going out in to my dad's garage and find some scraps or tools along with a couple of old spark plugs and then trying to "fix" up this plastic molded bicycle (that had been manufactured to look like a motorbike and which the dog had at one time taken a chunk out of it) and trying to jam these spark plugs in to it so it was my "booby trap" based on the scene when Max meets the Gyro Captain.

I suppose growing up in South Africa with the hot weather and some dry landscape just added to the whole thing but that movie and Star Wars just did it for me. And yeah I was 5. Best movie memories ever.

I remember watching Thunderdome a year or so after that and really being stunned by that because it was even more visually nuts than the last one and I remember bawling my eyes out when Max has to go
and save the kids in the quick sand and not saving them all.
Shit wrecked me as a kid. lol

How are the blu rays for the old films?

Decent. Cleaned up nice and sound great.

I am wondering why it sounds like she has one instead of the Australian accent she should be affecting.

Why should she have to have an Australian accent?

This is the weirdest tangent. Page 1 of the Mad Max OT and we're discussing Theron's lack of percievable accent.

I remember watching Thunderdome a year or so after that and really being stunned by that because it was even more visually nuts than the last one and I remember bawling my eyes out when Max has to go
and save the kids in the quick sand and not saving them all.
Shit wrecked me as a kid. lol

Yeah, I think I saw Thunderdome when I was like 12, and was also like "Damn, they went there."

Then again, that's kind of the problem with Thunderdome - it kinda wants to be a kids movie, of all the fuckin' things. It keeps peeking out from behind the Mad Max movie it needs to be. I guess in retrospect it shouldn't be so surprising that he went on to actually make kids movies. Thunderdome disappoints people largely BECAUSE it incorporates those elements openly.

And that story of you trying to knock together a Mad Max-mobile in your garage is great.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Yeah I didn't know what to go with but felt the simple choice was better. I quite liked "It's been a long road, warrior." that was mentioned given how it only took 15 years to make this!

Also if you guys want to make your own avatars or whatever here's a .zip file with the HD publicity stills WB recently released:
https://www.wetransfer.com/download...f9cbbcea4659c814d420304a20150505161801/907d9b

I wish. First time for me. I know a few people that have seen it including someone who has seen it at all 3 test screenings. lol

I guess the big news today is the Alamo Drafthouse is doing a free screening this Saturday at their various locations.
I'm calling the guitar guy on this one.

6f42aJR.jpg

Fucked my whole head up.

I am excited.
Did that particular version have the audio dubbed to incorporate American accents?

overcast

Can't wait.

Am I the only one waiting to maybe buy the Blu Rays because Best Buy or Target or somebody might offer like 7.50 towards a ticket purchase? 🌚

Simo

I am wondering why it sounds like she has an American accent instead of the Australian accent she should be affecting.

Maybe it's not set in Australia...?

She's not the only one that doesn't have a Australian accent either.

Did that particular version have the audio dubbed to incorporate American accents?

I don't know. I don't *think* so because I wanna say I remember Bruce Spence and his weird delivery pretty clearly. But I might just be jumbling up memories of seeing it later in adolescence, too.

I know they overdubbed Mad Max, but I don't know if I've ever seen an American dub of Road Warrior.

Maybe it's not set in Australia...?

She's not the only one that doesn't have a Australian accent either.

The Mad Max franchise has such a strong association with the Australian outback that I hadn't even considered that possibility.

Toothless

I'm so hyped for this, and I haven't seen a single Mad Max movie. I've heard it might work better without previous Mad Max experience, so woot woot! Planning on catching this the Saturday it's out.

Simo

The Mad Max franchise has such a strong association with the Australian outback that I hadn't even considered that possibility.

Yeah I don't have an answer if it it is or not either. I think Miller has kept it vague on purpose especially given the bigger international cast he's got.

That said I think it is Australia. lol

I just saw a commercial where Miss Theron was talking about the movie. Anytime you see a commercial where there is an actor/actress talking about a movie about to be release, it's a bad sign. I was super excited by the first trailer, but I got a bad feeling about this.

M.W.

I just saw a commercial where Miss Theron was talking about the movie. Anytime you see a commercial where there is an actor/actress talking about a movie about to be release, it's a bad sign. I was super excited by the first trailer, but I got a bad feeling about this.
Well, I think reviews will be split but I'm sure it'll be a fun ride.

Simo

PSA but there's a art book coming out tomorrow with illustrations done by 65 artists from the comic book industry.
CERJ0X9WEAA-OtH.jpg

This is Jim Lee's piece:
5229ae932813c287661b2c6083d898ca8ff539ff.jpg

Can't wait to see this!

Yeah I don't have an answer if it it is or not either. I think Miller has kept it vague on purpose especially given the bigger international cast he's got.

That said I think it is Australia. lol

Keeping it vague for the possibility of a sequel makes the most sense.

Top Bottom