• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max game will be canon for Furiosa Movie

Draugoth

Gold Member
Drew McWeeny, a well-known film critic, has already had the opportunity to read the script for Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, the next film in this universe, and according to him, the feature film makes it clear that the game is set in the same universe.

I spent the afternoon reading the script for FURIOSA, which is packed with illustrations and storyboards, and folks, I am goddamn rabid to see this film right now.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Avalanche had access to all Mad Max material, including the Furiosa script. The woman and kid are from the Fury Road flashbacks and the cars are the old designs, before the movie was delayed in 2010.
They will share things but not a perfect continuity.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Avalanche had access to all Mad Max material, including the Furiosa script. The woman and kid are from the Fury Road flashbacks and the cars are the old designs, before the movie was delayed in 2010.
They will share things but not a perfect continuity.

There is no Mad Max continuity or canon. Each movie is basically a fireside story being told about the legend of Mad Max.

Matt_Fox

Each Mad Max film has barely treated the previous one as canon. In the first, the world is still pretty normal just some problem biker gangs - in the second it's rewritten as a total nuclear apocalypse. Then in the third Bruce Spence shows up as a pilot, however he's a different character to the gyro captain he played in the second. Then we have Tom Hardy in Fury Road, is he the same character that Mel Gibson played? It all contributes to the madness...

I'm struggling to remember any details of the story in that game. All I remember is a ton of repetitive open-world activities, and a relatively fun melee combat system.
Edit: oh and the car combat was pretty good too

Last edited:

Deerock71

I have this game in my backlog. Only ever gotten a few hours into it. Always been meaning to dig into this one.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They're really trying hard to force shove us strong woman in anything they can huh? Mad Max is mad max, not furiosa, nothing else. Dont give a shit about the movie. Miller is way too old and hes just doing this movie because Hollywood checkmarks. CGI fest, strong woman, etc. You can even tell from the trailer it's milking from the previous Mad Max massive success instead of being original like all previous Mad Max movies were from one another. Fuck Hollywood. The Mad Max game was decent but hardly anyone remembers it, especially the story. This is just too random.

Last edited:
Sarcastic Kya Baat Hai GIF by Amazon miniTV

Game is awesome. It was awesome when it released and it still great today. I actually reinstalled it a few weeks ago and spent a few hours with it, it's aged very well all things considered and I was surprised how well the art direction still holds up.

They're really trying hard to force shove us strong woman in anything they can huh? Mad Max is mad max, not furiosa, nothing else. Dont give a shit about the movie. Miller is way too old and hes just doing this movie because Hollywood checkmarks. CGI fest, strong woman, etc. You can even tell from the trailer it's milking from the previous Mad Max massive success instead of being original like all previous Mad Max movies were from one another. Fuck Hollywood. The Mad Max game was decent but hardly anyone remembers it, especially the story. This is just too random.

Furiousa was a bad ass character in Fury Road, didn't feel hamfisted or forced and deserverdly should have a spot up with Ripley and other's. Having Furiosa be connected with the Mad Max franchise and/or games makes sense. It makes sense here and it doesn't need to be maligned before it's even been shown.

Especially in today's "everything is a shared universe" kind of thing.

Miller is a great director, he's taken huge breaks and seemingly only does projects he's interested in. He easily could have shat another Mad Max out for the skrilla even....3 years after the Fury Road had come out and made a ton of money. Didn't do it then. No need to be so pessimistic all the time.

Furiosa could very well suck, but it could be awesome too.

Last edited:
Part of me wants to go back and play this now, but I doubt I'll remember anything that ends up being relevant...

But I'm so hyped for a Furiosa movie

The game was really good. I did not like that he had
to destroy his vehicle. It was a sad moment for me to lose the car I spent the whole game creating.

Not sure if movie succeeds though. Too much CGI in comparison to the original. And it's been a long time since the original. 8 years.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Part of me wants to go back and play this now, but I doubt I'll remember anything that ends up being relevant...

But I'm so hyped for a Furiosa movie
Yeah from what I remember it had great environmental story telling and the collectibles helped fill in the details of the world;postcards,photos, and letters.

I might replay it. Honestly it's got some of the best/fun car combat since twisted metal 2.

I'm less hyped about Ana Taylor Joy playing furiousa. Charlize...I mean she's one of the best characters in the entire universe and she gets sidelined cause of a prequel?!?

Nemesisuuu

Fury Road script was finished probably around 2000 and if I recall well - Furiosa and Wasteland scripts were also written well before the release of Fury Road, maybe even at the same time as Fury Road script, so Furiosa (originaly named Praetorian) was planned to be in the franchise long before the current climate.

Here are some of the original story boards and concept art for Fury Road with Mel Gibson.

There is plenty of fascinating stuff out there regarding Mad Max franchise, how Fury Road was in development hell for years, what happened to vehicles from set, leaked design documents etc.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Drew McWeeny, a well-known film critic, has already had the opportunity to read the script for Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, the next film in this universe, and according to him, the feature film makes it clear that the game is set in the same universe.

The Mad Max game was CRIMINALLY underrated. If you haven't played this, you can usually find it
on sale for like $5 bucks(an absolute steal imo) on the digital storefronts. PSN, Xbox, Steam, etc.

Perhaps we can get a Mad Max Definitive Edition "next gen" re-release when the movie hits to get it more
exposure and a wider audience the game deserves.

I'm less hyped about Ana Taylor Joy playing furiousa. Charlize...I mean she's one of the best characters in the entire universe and she gets sidelined cause of a prequel?!?
Exactly what I thought too. I don't dislike the girl and she's been in some great roles I liked. But I thought Charlize really nailed the role perfectly and was excited to hear the was a Furiosa movie and then disappointed to hear it was a prequel. But given Miller's long history with the franchise and knowing that most of the story he wants to tell was written quite a while ago, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least try and watch it with an open mind. I was not expecting Fury Road to be so goddamn awesome.

You guys slept on the Mad Max game.

I remember the before times.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Fury Road script was finished probably around 2000 and if I recall well - Furiosa and Wasteland scripts were also written well before the release of Fury Road, maybe even at the same time as Fury Road script, so Furiosa (originaly named Praetorian) was planned to be in the franchise long before the current climate.

Here are some of the original story boards and concept art for Fury Road with Mel Gibson.

There is plenty of fascinating stuff out there regarding Mad Max franchise, how Fury Road was in development hell for years, what happened to vehicles from set, leaked design documents etc.

Sarcastic Kya Baat Hai GIF by Amazon miniTV

Game is awesome. It was awesome when it released and it still great today. I actually reinstalled it a few weeks ago and spent a few hours with it, it's aged very well all things considered and I was surprised how well the art direction still holds up.

Furiousa was a bad ass character in Fury Road, didn't feel hamfisted or forced and deserverdly should have a spot up with Ripley and other's. Having Furiosa be connected with the Mad Max franchise and/or games makes sense. It makes sense here and it doesn't need to be maligned before it's even been shown.

Especially in today's "everything is a shared universe" kind of thing.

Miller is a great director, he's taken huge breaks and seemingly only does projects he's interested in. He easily could have shat another Mad Max out for the skrilla even....3 years after the Fury Road had come out and made a ton of money. Didn't do it then. No need to be so pessimistic all the time.

Furiosa could very well suck, but it could be awesome too.

What both of you seem to forget is that the new Furiosa movie is a nonsense prequel. Furiosa, in Fury Road was great, not denying that. If I would've received a continuation of the story of her alongside Max that would be fine. A prequel tho is a waste of time and based on that trailer, its full blown garbage CGI. I'll pass.

Pelao

I don't give a damn about Furiosa, but the Mad Max game is an excellent sequel to Fury Road, regardless of whether it's canon or not for the rest of the movies and I urge anyone who hasn't played it and is a fan of Mad Max to do so. What a magnificent experience.

Last edited:

Majukun

fury road was one of my favorite movies ever, but the gloriosa spinoff looked like run of the mill garbage from the trailer.

What both of you seem to forget is that the new Furiosa movie is a nonsense prequel. Furiosa, in Fury Road was great, not denying that. If I would've received a continuation of the story of her alongside Max that would be fine. A prequel tho is a waste of time and based on that trailer, its full blown garbage CGI. I'll pass.
I agree, the trailer looks pretty bad. Like surprisingly bad considering how Fury Road was so visually striking.

hlm666

At least the game has a large focus on the car, everything since the start of the 2nd movie has forgotten who the star of the show was in mad max. Don't give a toss about trucks and dirt bikes/buggies, bring back the god damn interceptor for more than 1 minute to destroy it. Max getting in the thing should be the sword from the stone moment, it's the weapon, it's should be like wick pulling out the sledge hammer and digging up the guns. The moment you know he's MAD.

Killer8

At the end of the day it's not going to matter. There isn't going to be anything in the movie that you would need to play a niche game in a hobby not everyone takes part in to understand.

Top Bottom