• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max PC performance thread

Made a HUD toggle, so you can play it HUDless if you want:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mu1cfo63sp6y439/MadMaxHudToggle.rar

Toggle the HUD with caps lock or the right thumb stick if you have an xbox controller.

I'll be away from my comupter for a week so I can't test it that much, but it seems to be working fine.

giphy.gif

The way this game scales is pretty impressive. Means more people will be able to play it across multiple configurations.

It's a very impressive port.

JimPanzer

what kind of resolution can I expect with max settings and locked 60fps.

my rig:

i5 3570k@4.4k
2x GTX970 (SLI)
16GB Ram

Dave_6

3570K@4.4
Single G1 970
8GB RAM
Windows 7

I've got it maxed out at 1440p DSR and it's smooth as glass. No stutters or anything. Love it so far!

Well I just got it installed on my brothers PC for him, check deez specs:

6gb ram
Core 2 duo
GT 640
1360x768 res

:lol:

No idea how its running, didn't get to see it, but he's already unlocked a few cheevos so I guess it can't be that bad!!

Moff

Bought it on thursday and it ran perfectly smooth

now I tried to play again and it's completely broken
long loading times, I get like 1 or 2 frames per seconds, starting from the initial loading screens, in the menu as well. I can hardly navigate in the menu.

what happened? other games run perfect as usual

edit:
apparently a gsync issue, if someone else has that problem, alt+Enter twice should solve it

Rolfgang

That would suck. I actually snapped the one that came with my monitor, long story, and I ordered another one from Monoprice. Works fine for me.

I got the new cable today. I noticed right away that the wire of the new cable was much thicker and when I plugged it in, I could change the refresh rate to 144hz right away without any problems. So the cable was indeed the problem and it's fixed :)

mm04

I got the new cable today. I noticed right away that the wire of the new cable was much thicker and when I plugged it in, I could change the refresh rate to 144hz right away without any problems. So the cable was indeed the problem and it's fixed :)

That's good news!

what kind of resolution can I expect with max settings and locked 60fps.

my rig:

i5 3570k@4.4k
2x GTX970 (SLI)
16GB Ram

4K probably. I'm around 100fps at 1440p with a similar setup.

PaulLFC

Not sure if this has been posted already, but Total Biscuit did a PC Port report, and it runs really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EL0QDoJrs
The game runs great, but TB picked up on my one annoyance with it so far - entering the WBPlay stuff was infuriating.

Why on earth E and R are bound to "reset password" and "OK" I have no idea, much less idea why they take precedence over, oh I don't know, typing stuff into text boxes - I have about six password reset emails sat in my inbox just from trying to type my details in. It's like someone else designed that one menu after the rest of the game was done, it's so poorly implemented.

Runs well on my i5 8gb Ram Alienware Alpha on 'High' setting at 1080p

If I were to guess it is running below 60 but significantly above 30.

Looks lovely, runs very nicely IMHO.

That's great to hear! I have the i3 but went with 12gb RAM and a SSD. Anyone else go with this and can confirm it runs fine? Torn between getting on Steam or going PS4.

Also, I saw GMG had for $48 and CDKeys for $19 or so -- are they reputable? I used to think GMG was but didn't they have an issue a few months back?

JimPanzer

so how do I get DS4 prompts if I use DS4Windows? I guess the game thinks I'm using an Xbone controller because of Xinput. Shutting down DS4 doesn't work.

also why is this game always resetting my refresh rate to 50hz?

kamspy

I"m still getting blown out colors when I boot in fullscreen.

Also, resolution reverts to 23hz in the settings menu, but it sure as fuck is 60. Weird. Haven't used an overlay to check, but I'm pretty sure I"m not mistaking 60 with 23.

Irobot82

7950 owner here.

At 1080p I can get my card to run max clock constantly. Max settings I get 60fps no problem.

When I run at 1440p I see my clock rate bounce around instead of staying pegged at max clock. Any thoughts? My thermals aren't a problem.

Game runs great btw.

timmyp53

so how do I get DS4 prompts if I use DS4Windows? I guess the game thinks I'm using an Xbone controller because of Xinput. Shutting down DS4 doesn't work.

also why is this game always resetting my refresh rate to 50hz?

Are you hiding the DS4 in the app? Also wireless or wired?

abracadaver

I have no 1080p/60hz setting in the menu. Only 1080p/59,97hz. There is a small stutter every second now. It's noticable when turning the camera around. Is there a simple way to fix this?

Any tweaks or mods yet to make the HUD more...minimalistic? Don't want it completely hidden, per se, but there's just too much on screen sometimes.

I"m still getting blown out colors when I boot in fullscreen.

Also, resolution reverts to 23hz in the settings menu, but it sure as fuck is 60. Weird. Haven't used an overlay to check, but I'm pretty sure I"m not mistaking 60 with 23.

Same here, but my game is running at 100+ fps. There's no way my monitor is running at 23 hz, so it's probably just a glitch in their menu or something.

For what it's worth though, an overlay or fps display wouldn't prove/disprove anything in this regard. Those software always tell you what your pc is rendering, not what your monitor is displaying. So even if this were a legitimate problem (forcing people's monitors to show far less than what's actually being rendered), the overlay wouldn't know.

That's why you could, for example, legitimately have a game running 100 fps on an actual 60 mz monitor and the overlay will still say 100 fps despite the fact that your monitor isn't capable of displaying that.

MattyG

Banned
I'm getting quite a bit of stuttering, mostly when traversing. I'm hitting about 120FPS average, and it doesn't really drop when it stutters though. Anyone have this issue?

I have a laptop with a 860m, & a desktop with a 750Ti but all I want to play games on is my Razer Edge which is 1360x768 and has a 660m, 12 GB of RAM and a i7-3517.

Can I get 30 fps on medium or low settings??

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's running at 60fps 99% of the time with everything on max, but explosions are dropping to 54ish, is anyone else noticing this? Which setting would I lower to stop this? It's most noticeable during car on car collisions.

Elixist

7950 owner here.

At 1080p I can get my card to run max clock constantly. Max settings I get 60fps no problem.

When I run at 1440p I see my clock rate bounce around instead of staying pegged at max clock. Any thoughts? My thermals aren't a problem.

Game runs great btw.

I have a 7950 and I hate when it does this shit. Recently been annoying for me in dolphin. Try windowed maybe? Vsync is usually the culprit for me.

I have a 7950 and I hate when it does this shit. Recently been annoying for me in dolphin. Try windowed maybe? Vsync is usually the culprit for me.

Sounds a bit like a power limitation. Core is being utilized more and sees more power usage, the driver or bios of the card limits to XXX amount of watts and the card down clocks to meet that standard.

Either that or the VRM is getting blazing hot or something so it downclocks.

JRW

Is there anyway to force better FSAA options in Mad Max? The default (and only) in game option is pretty meh. (1080p / GTX 670).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else get occasional micro freezing? The frame rate will drop for a split second and the game will noticeably jolt, it seems to be tied to asset loading but I'm using an SSD so you'd think it wouldn't happen. It's not often but it's very annoying.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
Does anyone else get occasional micro freezing? The frame rate will drop for a split second and the game will noticeably jolt, it seems to be tied to asset loading but I'm using an SSD so you'd think it wouldn't happen. It's not often but it's very annoying.

I did start getting some of that stuttering very occasionally towards the end of the game (also installed on an SSD). It did seem related to asset streaming, as it usually happened while driving or approaching camps. As it was usually a single stutter or jolt and not during gameplay-critical moments, it didn't bother me much and I just ignored it when it happened.

Corpekata

Banned

I get it every once in a while. Don't know if it's a loading thing though, I've had it happen at some weird moments that you wouldn't think would have loading.

sfried

AMD FX-4350 4.2Ghz Quad-core, XFX 7870 Core Edition 2GB, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM. Everything is a solid 60fps @ 1366x768, though it took awhile for me to fix the issue with the game opening at a weird resolution (I think it has to do with the windowed resolution defaulting to 1200x800, but after I fixed it the issue was remedied).

Just wondering guys: What does RefreshRate = 0 in the settings.ini do? Can I tweak this to make it RefreshRate = 60 to cap my framerates (since my monitor doesn't go beyond 60hz anyway)?.

So I have my resolution in the game set to run at 59hz but after I play for a bit and go back into the menu I notice it has switched itself back to 50 hz.

Any ideas?

Gustavoh

Neo Member
So I have my resolution in the game set to run at 59hz but after I play for a bit and go back into the menu I notice it has switched itself back to 50 hz.

Any ideas?

Check your display's input information button/menu to confirm that it is still running at 59/60 Hz. It's probably just a small bug some people have experienced: it switches back in the graphics settings menu to 50 Hz (sometimes even to 24 Hz), but it in fact continues to run normally at 60.

Check your display's input information button/menu to confirm that it is still running at 59/60 Hz. It's probably just a small bug some people have experienced: it switches back in the graphics settings menu to 50 Hz (sometimes even to 24 Hz), but it in fact continues to run normally at 60.

Thanks. Yeah the display still says 60 and I have vsync enabled and my frame counter in steam also shows a 60 lock so probably just a bug

Info has been posted on the patch.

Update: Mad Max, Patch 3
September 28 - WB-Andy
Welcome Wastelanders!

Patch 3 for Mad Max rolls in a number of improvements, including the “Vehicle Roll” option, which lets you enable more realistic in-air physics. (And, to create more incredible moments in Capture Mode!) In addition to this, there’s a number of general fixes, for both graphics and audio, along with a number of specific updates for 64-bit Windows users. Enjoy all the nitty gritty in the full patch notes, below.

General Updates for All Platforms:

Added optional “Vehicle roll” setting for more realistic in-air car physics.
General performance improvements.
Improved data streaming, enabling content to load faster and easier.
Improved auto-aim target prioritization.
Fixed various audio issues.
Made various GUI fixes and improvements.
Fixed several instances of the map not loading correctly.
Made various mission flow fixes and improvements. This includes retroactively resolving a conditional mission flow blocker that was happening to some players trying to install the Baby Bars during the Wasteland Classic mission after the mission flow had been interrupted.
General bug fixes.

Win64 Specific Updates:

Fixed instances of graphics options resetting to default upon the game loading for some users.
Fixed an issue which caused the Harpoon to not work correctly on triple monitor setups, and with larger aspect ratios.
Fixed several keyboard entry issues with the WBPlay Menu screen.
Made several Mouse & Keyboard Control improvements and fixes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Performance is the same for me (rock solid 60) but I'm sadly still getting those weird 1 second freezes, although possibly less often now.

Kezen

Banned
I haven't ran the game uncapped so I don't really know if performance is lower or better, but with vsync the game runs as well as it did before the patch.

Did not run into (or notice perhaps) streaming issues.

c0Zm1c

I'm getting the same solid performance that I had before the patch.

It's good to see that photomode now captures 21:9 images.

Afro

Anyone else getting pretty bad audio skipping/stuttering?

You can hear it just sitting on the main menu w/ music off. The ambient wind loop is skipping all over.

More noticeable w/ headphones.

Someone mentioned it on the Steam forums too.

I'm getting it too. It's rather distracting.

Still refusing to start the game like this. No fix found yet? Really want to play this before F4. Doubt the issue is on my end b/c the audio is perfect in every other game.

I've tried locking/unlocking framerate, switching bit rate, Realtek drivers, etc.

Afro

Here's a video of the audio stuttering/clipping. Played the game on two completely separate PCs and the issue was present on both. Immersion breaking. Still hasn't been patched after 5 months. Game is unplayable like this.

Funny I've only seen this mentioned by maybe 2-3 people max. Shit like this can't fly. Inexcusable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-mzGWyBGi8

Top Bottom