• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max PC performance thread

Anyone know if there are official Mad Max forums to report bugs etc? I can't seem to find anything anywhere, and I don't know how frequent (if at all) the devs use the Steam forums.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
game isnt letting me select 60hz for some reason only 50hz or 59hz every other game is fine and nvidia driver is too. so something must be bugged with game ?

d00d3n

Just noticed that DSR resolutions do not seem to work when running borderless windowed mode. It is not a big deal, because in all honesty the game feels quite sluggish in borderless. Ordinary fullscreen works like a charm, though. I just started testing the game, but it seems like a slightly sub 4k resolution will be possible with all other setting maxed, to get 60fps most of the time.

mm04

Ah, I only noticed just now that my monitor is set on 85hz, but that's also the maximum, I can't select 144hz. I guess I need to get a higher quality DP-cable?

You have the latest drivers? I would try and make a custom resolution at 2560 x 1440 and see if you can set the refresh rate to 144hz and attempt to use that setting and see if you have any success with it.

Backlogger

I have limited room on my SSD so I don't usually put games on my SSD by default but in this case it made a pretty big difference. I was able to put everything to very high and I seem to be doing just fine at 1440p/60 FPS except when an autosave kicks in I drop to around 40 which causes a pretty noticeable stutter.

Anyone else having this issue and figure out a way around it?

1440p
R9 290
i5 3570k 4.1 OC
16 GB RAM
Windows 10

Yeah I get a drop to about 30fps for about 2 seconds sometimes when it autosaves, it's weird, not a deal breaker as the rest of the game is a solid 60fps but would be nice to see a patch to fix it.

I heard playing in borderless windowed mode fixes it but haven't had a chance to test that yet

Will have to give it a try tonight.

So I tried going to Borderless this morning to see if that fixed the FPS drop and stutter during Autosave and it did improve the issue slightly, but its still very noticeable. It drops to 50 FPS instead of 40, but the stutter is really bad.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Kezen

Banned
My God this game looks fantastic and runs like a dream.
A+ port right there, congrats to Avalanche.

I wish Arkham Knight got the same treatment.

Apparently it's some kind of bug, tried different things and nothing would fix it. Someone on the forums found a temporary fix. Just run the game on borderless and the whole issue is gone. Good enough for now until they patch it or something.

Anyway, so far in the intro gameplay,

GTX 670
i5 3570k
8gb RAM

Maxed out pretty much above 60fps the whole time. Aside from my initial issue, they did a great job on the PC version.

Really? I have the same CPU with a 680 GTX and 16GB of RAM, I can't get this game to run with everything Maxed out.

This is making me sad.

That's just due to this. It's nothing to worry about.

Strange that some resolutions in the options have a 59 and 60 option and some, like 1080p only has the 59 option, I have other games that let me pick 59 or 60 at 1080p but like you said, it's nothing major really.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Possible to get 60fps with a 2500k, 7950? both not oc'd.

Well, a 7950 manages 50fps/63fps (minimum/average) when paired with an overclocked 5960X:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_1920.jpg

Qassim

Well, a 7950 manages 50fps/63fps (minimum/average) when paired with an overclocked 5960X:

[IG]http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_1920.jpg[/IMG]

That's some great SLI scaling.

How well could a 970m 3gb run this 1080p?

Its ranked between these two

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 -10500

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M -10220

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590- 9750

kamspy

Fixed my problem! Instructions for others:

Set to borderless. It will look the same.
Restart the game. It will be better.

i7 5930k
16GB DDR 2400
2x GTX980 SLI

Running at 1440p on a Acer XB270HU G-Sync monitor and with a few exceptions it's not dropping below 144 FPS with everything in the game maxed out.

I hope Just Cause 3 runs this well.

Thraktor

I've had a strange performance issue. Here are my specs:

G3258 @ 4.4GHz
R9 280
8GB
Win7

When I initially installed it on my hard-drive it ran smoothly on VHQ (felt like a fairly constant 60fps), but with intermittent drops to what felt like around 5fps. I figured this was probably the hard-drive failing to keep up with the world streaming, so I transferred it over to my SSD and that seemed to fix the issue, and I played an hour or so last night without issue.

Jump forward to today, though, and the game is pretty much constantly chugging. The game had updated, but I can't imagine the update lowering performance to this degree. I checked how my GPU and CPU are handling things, and the GPU was never exceeding 70% usage, although the CPU was at 100% pretty much constantly. I would understand if my CPU had started to become a bottleneck, but it hasn't been with any game before this, and it doesn't explain why the game was running perfectly smoothly yesterday, or why it's jumping from 60fps to 5fps, but nowhere in between.

I've checked drivers, and everything's up to date. Any suggestions?

dEvAnGeL

steam just downloaded a 173mb patch for the game but no idea for what, man i really wish that PC games had the update notes like on consoles

EDIT: after the patch the i keep getting artifacts on screen like if the graphics was dying, i know is not the card because i have tried other games and the card is fine

Backlogger

If you are getting a stutter and FPS during autosave try unlinking your WB account. That seems to have fixed it for me but need confirmation.

Edit: Or it was fixed in the small patch this morning...

Edit2: Nvm, still having major FPS drop and stutter during autosaves...

I've had a strange performance issue. Here are my specs:

G3258 @ 4.4GHz
R9 280
8GB
Win7

When I initially installed it on my hard-drive it ran smoothly on VHQ (felt like a fairly constant 60fps), but with intermittent drops to what felt like around 5fps. I figured this was probably the hard-drive failing to keep up with the world streaming, so I transferred it over to my SSD and that seemed to fix the issue, and I played an hour or so last night without issue.

Jump forward to today, though, and the game is pretty much constantly chugging. The game had updated, but I can't imagine the update lowering performance to this degree. I checked how my GPU and CPU are handling things, and the GPU was never exceeding 70% usage, although the CPU was at 100% pretty much constantly. I would understand if my CPU had started to become a bottleneck, but it hasn't been with any game before this, and it doesn't explain why the game was running perfectly smoothly yesterday, or why it's jumping from 60fps to 5fps, but nowhere in between.

I've checked drivers, and everything's up to date. Any suggestions?
The game seems to be fairly CPU heavy, my i5 2500k at 4.5GHz averaged between 50-60% utilization on all four cores from the times I looked at it which is fairly frequent since I have it displaying on my keyboard.

drotahorror

i5 2500k stock
7950 3gb
8gb ram
SSD

Unless things change drastically, the game runs @ 60fps on High settings at all times so far. Also no stutter like I had been seeing with people when it auto saves.

Downsampling from 1440p is going to be the best solution to AA I would assume?

I tried the in-game AA but wasn't too keen so switched it off and applied FXAA in the nVidia control panel. That seemed better (although it may have been a placebo) but it appears a little blurry in places.

I just wanted to play the game yesterday without spending the time fiddling.

Rolfgang

You have the latest drivers? I would try and make a custom resolution at 2560 x 1440 and see if you can set the refresh rate to 144hz and attempt to use that setting and see if you have any success with it.

There aren't any drivers for Windows 10 yet, maybe that's the problem. I'll try out the custom resolution and see if that works.

Thraktor

The game seems to be fairly CPU heavy, my i5 2500k at 4.5GHz averaged between 50-60% utilization on all four cores from the times I looked at it which is fairly frequent since I have it displaying on my keyboard.

That's fair enough, but if you're getting say 60fps with 50%-60% CPU utilisation on a 2500K at 4.5GHz, then I should be expecting at least 50fps on my system at 100% CPU utilisation. Instead I'm getting maybe 5-10fps (and I was getting 60fps or close to it on the same system the other day).

I'll do a couple more tests when I get home from work. What do people recommend these days to log frame times?

mm04

There aren't any drivers for Windows 10 yet, maybe that's the problem. I'll try out the custom resolution and see if that works.

I'm actually running Windows 10 with driver release 355.82 and the NVIDIA control panel seems to ID and set up my XB270HU fine.

Thraktor

That's fair enough, but if you're getting say 60fps with 50%-60% CPU utilisation on a 2500K at 4.5GHz, then I should be expecting at least 50fps on my system at 100% CPU utilisation. Instead I'm getting maybe 5-10fps (and I was getting 60fps or close to it on the same system the other day).

I'll do a couple more tests when I get home from work. What do people recommend these days to log frame times?

So it turns out my CPU has locked itself at 800MHz for some reason, which solves my performance mystery. Why it's doing this is a different question entirely, although I suppose that's a matter for another thread.

d00d3n

Downsampling from 1440p is going to be the best solution to AA I would assume?

I tried the in-game AA but wasn't too keen so switched it off and applied FXAA in the nVidia control panel. That seemed better (although it may have been a placebo) but it appears a little blurry in places.

I just wanted to play the game yesterday without spending the time fiddling.

Why from 1440p? Do you play on a 720p screen?

Afro

Anyone else getting pretty bad audio skipping/stuttering?

You can hear it just sitting on the main menu w/ music off. The ambient wind loop is skipping all over.

More noticeable w/ headphones.

Someone mentioned it on the Steam forums too.

Aranath

Anyone else getting pretty bad audio skipping/stuttering?

You can hear it just sitting on the main menu w/ music off. The ambient wind loop is skipping all over.

More noticeable w/ headphones.

Someone mentioned it on the Steam forums too.

I'm getting it too. It's rather distracting.

So it turns out my CPU has locked itself at 800MHz for some reason, which solves my performance mystery. Why it's doing this is a different question entirely, although I suppose that's a matter for another thread.

Actually 72FPS. :) But that's odd.

Rolfgang

I'm actually running Windows 10 with driver release 355.82 and the NVIDIA control panel seems to ID and set up my XB270HU fine.

Oh I meant the driver for the monitor, but I guess that doesn't matter much. I've read on some other forums and almost everywhere the problem was the DP-cable (it not being 1.2 in most cases). I've ordered another cable and see if that helps.

mm04

Oh I meant the driver for the monitor, but I guess that doesn't matter much. I've read on some other forums and almost everywhere the problem was the DP-cable (it not being 1.2 in most cases). I've ordered another cable and see if that helps.

That would suck. I actually snapped the one that came with my monitor, long story, and I ordered another one from Monoprice. Works fine for me.

Top Bottom